Oatmeal good or bad?

Options
Ok, this question has been bothering me for awhile. In October a local health food store was offering free 40 min sessions with a nutrionalist. I was seeking some guidance so I took an appt. I shared with her that I had been struggling with weight loss, I had been still recovering from surgery (emergency female) back in March, no motivation, tired. etc.. She asked about my current diet and I told her I eating steel oats at least 3-4 x weekly or a egg whites with veggies. Salad and lean meat, dinner lean meat, lots of veggies, etc... all healthy.

She told me to stop eating the oatmeal, and instead eat egg whites/eggs, tomato, english mufffin... and then went one about other things I could do to jump start my metabolism... She recommened LPP, but when I ran out I stopped taking it, yucky taste. anyone take this? Is it worth buying some more?

Anyone have any idea why she would tell me not to eat oatmeal? I would love to start to eat that again....

Thanks.

Replies

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard one bad thing about oatmeal....only good.....what were her reasons for eliminating it from your diet? It is loaded with fiber, vitamins and good stuff!
    Hmmmmm......fill us in!:flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good in moderation, but it's not great for breakfast. It's all carbs, you don't get any protein when you eat oatmeal for breakfast. Chances are you'll digest the oatmeal fully well before lunch and will be hungry again. A breakfast with a good balance of carbs and protein will give you energy and help keep you full.

On days I exercise I have to whole eggs, some hash browns, beans, with a little cheese and green chile. On days I don't exercise I make a smoothie in my Vitamix with some frozen berries, half a banana, some Greek Yogurt and either a little milk or juice.
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I always thought oatmeal was good for you, I have been eating the Kashi vanilla hot cereal, it has a lot of protein and it taste really good too.

I'd be interested to find out why she would tell you to cut the oatmeal!
  • genianc
    genianc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in other's responses too because I eat it about 5 out of 7 mornings for breakfast. If it really is bad... I'm in trouble because I really don't like eggs.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal — a LOT of oatmeal — six mornings a week (3/4 cup old-fashioned oats before adding water). I eat eggs every morning as well (one yolk plus three or four whites). I love the combo. It's filling, and it certainly never kept me from losing weight.
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal too, but to be honest, I think it hindered my weight loss for a little bit.
    I normally ate an English muffin with eggs/whites and some sort of low fat cheese and maybe tomato. I was getting sick of it so for about 2 weeks I ate plain quick oats with just a teaspoon or two of brown sugar.
    During those two weeks, I didn't lose! The first week I didn't think anything of it since it was right after New Years, but I got concerned after the second week. After thinking about my diet, the only real deviation from my normal routine was the oatmeal. I really think that your body needs a more sustainable breakfast than carbs, no matter how whole grainy or good for you they are.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying what a brilliant food it is and that it keeps you going for longer etc but I suffer serious hunger pangs about 2 hours after eating it. I guess it depends what you're used to but for me it was simply no good in that sense.
    I'd be interested in other's responses too because I eat it about 5 out of 7 mornings for breakfast. If it really is bad... I'm in trouble because I really don't like eggs.

If you are doing ok on oats then why change. I just think its a simple case of everyone is different and what works for one isnt going to work for everyone. If you find yourself getting hungry before the next meal is due then you would possibly benefit from adding some protein (it doesnt have to come from eggs)
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's alway sbeen my understanding that oat groats and steel cut take longer for your body to digest. Therefore leaving you fuller longer. And they do contain protein, amung other things. I was actually going to stock up on some today. I had been eating Old-Fashioned oatmeal (the round Quaker container) in the past. I recently read that cold, boxed, breakfast cereals aren't the best choices and I eat those pretty often so I did some research into other breakfast ideas. Oat groats was at the top of my list. Obviouslly I'll swtich it up often but I also like oatmeal so I'm adding it into my breakfast "rotation". A great website I found is www.whfoods.com (worlds healthiest foods). It pretty much explains everything about Super Foods. I don't consider myself to be on a diet but I do tell people, when they ask, that I'm on the Super Food diet. It's pretty much the best foods you can eat for optimal benefits.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    What is LPP?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, this question has been bothering me for awhile. In October a local health food store was offering free 40 min sessions with a nutrionalist. I was seeking some guidance so I took an appt. I shared with her that I had been struggling with weight loss, I had been still recovering from surgery (emergency female) back in March, no motivation, tired. etc.. She asked about my current diet and I told her I eating steel oats at least 3-4 x weekly or a egg whites with veggies. Salad and lean meat, dinner lean meat, lots of veggies, etc... all healthy.

She told me to stop eating the oatmeal, and instead eat egg whites/eggs, tomato, english mufffin... and then went one about other things I could do to jump start my metabolism... She recommened LPP, but when I ran out I stopped taking it, yucky taste. anyone take this? Is it worth buying some more?

Anyone have any idea why she would tell me not to eat oatmeal? I would love to start to eat that again....

Thanks.

Steel Cut Oats are the BEST.

I would opt for a breakfast filled with Steel Cut Oats, egg and small serving of fruit for breakfast over eggs, tomato and english muffin.

I am also a Certified Nutrition Coach and I focus on Holistic Whole Foods.

Steel Cut Oats is WAY less processed than an English muffin!!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    What is LPP?

Its a supplement.
    TwinLab

LPP Regular (16 oz)

Suggested Use:

Take two tablespoonfuls daily, or as directed. Shake well before using.

Supplement Facts:

Sodium 10 Milligrams <1% Thiamin (from thiamine HCI) 1.5 Milligrams 100% Vitamin B2 (from riboflavin 5'-phosphate sodium) 1.7 Milligrams 100% Niacin (from niacinamide) 20 Milligrams 100% Vitamin B6 (from pyridoxine HCI) 2 Milligrams 100% Folic Acid 400 micrograms 100% Vitamin B12 (from cyanocobalamin) 6 micrograms 100% Biotin 300 micrograms 100% Pantothenic Acid (from dexpanthenol) 10 Milligrams 100% PABA 2 Milligrams * Choline (from choline bitartrate) 100 Milligrams * Inositol 100 Milligrams * L-Leucine 655 Milligrams * L-Isoleucine 280 Milligrams * L-Valine 450 Milligrams * L-Lysine 770 Milligrams * L-Threonine 400 Milligrams * L-Methionine 155 Milligrams * L-Phenylalanine 370 Milligrams * L-Tryptophan 30 Milligrams * L-Arginine 1300 Milligrams * L-Cystine 60 Milligrams * L-Alanine 1390 Milligrams * L-Aspartic Acid 1100 Milligrams * L-Glutamic Acid 1950 Milligrams * Glycine 4055 Milligrams * L-Histidine 155 Milligrams * L-Proline 2540 Milligrams * L-Serine 490 Milligrams * L-Tyrosine 120 Milligrams * L-Hydroxyproline 2060 Milligrams * L-Hydroxylysine 160 Milligrams *

*Daily value not established.

Other Ingredients: Hydrolyzed gelatin, filtered water, propylene glycol, whey protein, isolate (from milk), natural and artificial flavors, citric acid, phosphoric acid, vegetable oil, cellulose, methylparaben, sodium benzoate, xanthan gum, propylparaben and sorbic acid.

Warning:

Keep in a cool place.

You have reached LPP Regular (16 oz) on Seacoast Vitamins.com from the manufacturer TwinLab. We're proud to have served 160 customers since 02/14/2010 who were also interested in purchasing LPP Regular (16 oz). It currently ranks as our 0 most popular natural health product.

Technical LPP Regular (16 oz) Details: Locate this product using sku number or ISBN . For shipping, the weight is equal to 1.30 pounds and is available for shipment immediately. Typical inquiries include , and natural health. Seacoast Vitamins offers this product at a $2.44 discount off of the suggested retail price $15.9900. Our price is $13.55.
  • ardnassac
    ardnassac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have added peanut butter to my oatmeal to give it some flavor (and maybe a little protein), but it does add calories! Also I prefer it for lunch with some fruit as opposed to breakfast.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut oatmeal is awesome. I never had them until I visited a buddy in Tennessee and had it one morning at his house. So much more texture and flavor. Keeps me happy a good part of the day. Add fruit and it's perfect although I do like the Peanut Butter Idea
  • rayfromtx
    rayfromtx Posts: 111
    Options
    Every morning I mix 1/2 cup dry organic rolled oats with 1 cup of skim milk and microwave for 2 minutes. I then add 1/2 scoop of whey protein powder and 1/2 cup of blueberries or similar fruit. I teaspoon of truvia on top and I have a delicious bfast. It comes out to 5.4 gr fat, 56 gr of carbs of which 45 is from whole grain, 8 gr of fiber, and 27 gr of protein. Total calories is 382. Of course leaving out the fruit will cut the carbs, calories and simple carbs, but it is about as balanced a meal as you can get and lasts a while. I work out an hour or so later and after the work out I take a protein shake with skim milk and whey for another dose of protein that keeps the blood sugar and digestion of the complex carbs chugging away nicely while giving me plenty of amino acids to aid in muscle repair. I have a great diet and oatmeal is the foundation of every good day. If I have calories left over at the end of the day, I use another bowl of oatmeal or a bowl of greek yogurt and fruit for a tasty alternative to the ice cream I used to eat in the evening.

Making it with skim milk instead of water is the key to rich flavor and the protein boost that slows it's digestion and blood sugar effects.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have never before heard anyone say oatmeal is bad. I now eat it for breakfast 5 out of 7 days and always feel fuller than when I eat cereal.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    the session went by so fast, with all the informaton she was saying that I never had a chance to ask about the oatmeal. My mistake, all the research I see is oatmeal is great. Great Fiber, low GI. Of course, it is whatever you add in it that may be bad: sugar, etc. I ate mine made with water, no milk, no sugar. Sometimes I would put a teaspoon of Polaner (?) Fruit, or fresh fruit: berries mostly.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal DOES have protein in it. 5 g of it according to my steel cut oatmeal container.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is good in moderation, but it's not great for breakfast. It's all carbs, you don't get any protein when you eat oatmeal for breakfast. Chances are you'll digest the oatmeal fully well before lunch and will be hungry again. A breakfast with a good balance of carbs and protein will give you energy and help keep you full.

Hm, your post surprised me a lot. I make porridge from 40 g organic oats (rolled) and a cup of half water half semi-skimmed milk. The result has 10 g of protein, of which 5 come from from the oats, and 5 from the milk.
  • mfergie889
    Options
    I love oatmeal...I eat it almost every day and lose more weight eating that for breakfast then eggs. Maybe she was telling you this because of some nutritional defecit she noticed in your diet? If you were lacking protein throughout the rest of your day, itd make sense that she'd ask you to eat something different for breakfast. I cant imagine someone saying its bad, only that something else might work better depending on your diet.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I can't really understand why the nutritionist would suggest that at all. Oatmeal has so many overall health benefits I think that its ridiculous! I do think that getting protein at breakfast is important and if a bowl of oatmeal fills you up so much you can't handle any more food, maybe that's the logic. But I think weight loss aside oatmeal is full of fiber and promotes digestive health, and full of vitamins and is a great source of energy to start of the day! Yay oatmeal!