Be wary of anything that sounds too good to be true.

Options
2»

Replies

• cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wanted to share something I learned as well. Not only are these diet foods doing nothing for our bodies in terms of vital nutrients, but they have been shown to harm us. There's a documentary called "Sweet Misery" on youtube, it's about Aspartame. I only watched the first 20 minutes, and I haven't touched the stuff since--I used to drink diet soda daily.

In the documentary, many patients suffering from these symptoms tried every drug and herbal relief plan known to man, before finally cutting out artificial sweeteners, which immediately did the trick to heal them. I myself noticed that my mid-afternoon bloat and mild headache went away as soon as I made the switch to other drinks with my lunch.

Adverse reactions and side effects of aspartame include:

Eye
    blindness in one or both eyes
    decreased vision and/or other eye problems such as: blurring, bright flashes, squiggly lines, tunnel vision, decreased night vision
    pain in one or both eyes
    decreased tears
    trouble with contact lenses
    bulging eyes

Ear
    tinnitus - ringing or buzzing sound
    severe intolerance of noise
    marked hearing impairment

Neurologic
    epileptic seizures
    headaches, migraines and (some severe)
    dizziness, unsteadiness, both
    confusion, memory loss, both
    severe drowsiness and sleepiness
    paresthesia or numbness of the limbs
    severe slurring of speech
    severe hyperactivity and restless legs
    atypical facial pain
    severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric
    severe depression
    irritability
    aggression
    anxiety
    personality changes
    insomnia
    phobias

Chest
    palpitations, tachycardia
    shortness of breath
    recent high blood pressure

Gastrointestinal
    nausea
    diarrhea, sometimes with blood in stools
    abdominal pain
    pain when swallowing

Skin and Allergies
    itching without a rash
    lip and mouth reactions
    hives
    aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma

Endocrine and Metabolic
    loss of control of diabetes
    menstrual changes
    marked thinning or loss of hair
    marked weight loss
    gradual weight gain
    aggravated low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
    severe PMS

Other
    frequency of voiding and burning during urination
    excessive thirst, fluid retention, leg swelling, and bloating
    increased susceptibility to infection

Additional Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity include the most critical symptoms of all
    death
    irreversible brain damage
    birth defects, including mental retardation
    peptic ulcers
    aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
    hyperactivity in children
    severe depression
    aggressive behavior
    suicidal tendencies

Excuse me while I RUN to the store for some green tea.......!!!!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding a little organic sugar here and there (mostly to my Irish oatmeal). I think a teaspoon of sugar a day isn't too bad. I'm not perfect - I could cut back more on high fructose corn syrup (I've cut a lot of it out, but I still eat it occasionally). It's tough to change your life around completely. But I'm happy with where I'm at right now. I think this is a lifelong journey for me. I'm going to be learning how to take care of myself for the rest of my life.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    ^I was thinking of going with a little sugar (of some sort) in my coffee instead of a packet of Equal - I don't think the calorie or carb increase will be dramatic.

My issue is that I have it ingrained in me - from being diabetic, mostly, but again, the reality of the carbs isn't so bad (especially lately that I have become a little more lax with them...maybe 100-150 net per day versus the ~75 I was aiming for before). It's a hard habit to change, but one small step at a time!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding a little organic sugar here and there (mostly to my Irish oatmeal). I think a teaspoon of sugar a day isn't too bad. I'm not perfect - I could cut back more on high fructose corn syrup (I've cut a lot of it out, but I still eat it occasionally). It's tough to change your life around completely. But I'm happy with where I'm at right now. I think this is a lifelong journey for me. I'm going to be learning how to take care of myself for the rest of my life.

Oh trust me, I eat sugar nearly every day. (Actually, you don't need to trust me -- my diary is quite honest haha) I just love chocolatey things. But I limit it. And I stay far, far away from artificial sweeteners as well as HFCS. I can actually taste when things have HFCS in them now. Yucky.

It's definitely a lifelong journey, and I think you're doing great :) Awareness is key.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I recently started adding a little organic sugar here and there (mostly to my Irish oatmeal). I think a teaspoon of sugar a day isn't too bad. I'm not perfect - I could cut back more on high fructose corn syrup (I've cut a lot of it out, but I still eat it occasionally).
    Where do you find yourself getting most of your HFCS? For the longest time the only places I got it were bread and soda. I ONLY drink soda when I drink liquors—I would just switch it up entirely to juices and stuff, but my preferred liquor is whiskey—but bread was a lot harder for me. I thought that I would have to spend $5 a loaf to get bread without it. Lately I've been finding a LOT of whole grain breads that don't use it, typically for only $2 or $3. I thought it would suck and cause me to be spending a LOT of money on bread, but I actually eat a lot less of it now—which kind of makes sense that it would be more filling—and, thus, I spend the same amount on bread that I did before.

So now the only place I get HFCS is soda when I'm drinking alcohol. I wish that sodas sweetened with cane sugar were both more accessible and more affordable.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    any sweeteners that anyone could recommend besides Splenda? i do like a bit of sweetness in my coffee (really only when the coffee is terrible though...aka work coffee) and would love to find things to use for baking, etc. i have heard good things about agave nectar, but i don't know what else to use! i already use honey for quite a few things...the best kind is from my local farmer's market!
  • Net132
    Net132 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. I have tried Stevia way back and didn't care for it but will try it again...maybe it is an "acquired" taste. And I also used to not drink coffee at all so may try that eventually...but for not that's my morning thing.

Also, jessieinblue I didn't think you were judging...my view on all (or at least most) of the topics is that it is someone trying to help us all. Sometimes the truth may sting a little...but we're all here to learn, lose and improve I think. For me I will take any advice that helps me lose the weight or get/stay healthy. This is definitely NOT a diet or a quick fix in my life...I have every intention of doing this for my lifetime. I'm just irritated with myself that it took me so long to get smart!

Dont use to much. Stevia is really sweet. It just takes a verry little to go from the perfict cup of coffee to somthing I cant drink.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest, at this point in my life, dropping pounds IS all I care about. If I happen to improve my health and longevity as well, so be it. Call me crazy, but I have no problem eating chemicals with no nutritional value whatsoever if it'll keep me from eating a bunch more calories.

(And besides, eating low-cal foods that are full of chemicals and what-have-you is probably still preferable to sticking with the kind of diet I had before beginning my weight loss journey.)

To each his/her own, though. I have nothing but respect for peope who have the willpower and drive to eat a clean diet. I'm just not one of them.

-E
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I knew it had to be terrible for you! My mom is obsessive with this stuff and somehow thinks it tastes good. She also doesn't seem to care about chemicals being in food, so I'm not too sure how to make her listen to reason.
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that stuff is so nasty! I tried the ranch dressing version and it made me throw up it tasted soo soo bad. You would be better off eating the real stuff and just watching your portion size and eating it sparingly.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I knew it had to be terrible for you! My mom is obsessive with this stuff and somehow thinks it tastes good. She also doesn't seem to care about chemicals being in food, so I'm not too sure how to make her listen to reason.

Is your mom a reader?
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes but also older so it'd have to be... simpler? She's really smart but I had her read something before that talked about the nervous system, and she just got lost and discredited it. But I'm open to any suggestions you have (I could certainly use more knowledge myself). Especially anything promoting organic.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest, at this point in my life, dropping pounds IS all I care about. If I happen to improve my health and longevity as well, so be it. Call me crazy, but I have no problem eating chemicals with no nutritional value whatsoever if it'll keep me from eating a bunch more calories.

(And besides, eating low-cal foods that are full of chemicals and what-have-you is probably still preferable to sticking with the kind of diet I had before beginning my weight loss journey.)
    I swear I'm not a nut-job about health foods and stuff, nor do I eat entirely clean, but this kind of made me sad to read. I've always been chubby and yet never wanted to be -thin- over -healthy-.

But as you said, to each their own, and I really won't judge you on it; it really probably is quite a bit better than what you were eating before, and that's more than just "something," it's an improvement.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK. In theory I agree with you all. In reality I eat quite a bit of processed foods. (Way less than I used to but still to much) My goal from the beginning of this journey has been just that...a journey, making changes along the way. I have made quite a few...adding lots of fruits and veggies whereas I used to eat very very few. My next challenge is to get rid of or at least knock way down my use of splenda. Unfortunately I like some things really sweet...like my morning coffee. Any suggestions? What do you use to sweeten?

The good thing is that you're eating less than you used to and are thinking about your choices.

I use sugar to sweeten, and keep a jar of light brown sugar in my kitchen for my sugar needs, but my consumption has gone down a lot. It seems to me that our taste has been swinging towards the sugary, especially for drinks, which I find extraordinarily sweet. I don't use sugar in coffee (haven't even before I started losing weight for some time, and before that I would use 1/2 to 1 of the packaged portions of brown sugar), but I use milk and find that the sweetness is quite enough. I used to drink more high-quality tea in the past and think anything in it destroys the taste. If the tea bag's too mediocre, I add a drop of milk. Now my friend's different -- she likes her tea *sweet* and *strong*, and that means 6-8 tsp of sugar in a mug after steeping for 10 min. But she's also been skinny all her life and only now with middle age and menopause has the put on enough pounds to get to the "normal" BMI range. She *still* may have to watch her intake one day, who knows.

I think that using an artificial sweetener in your situation, out of choice, is a lot more acceptable than building an entire product range of fake foods based on laboratory-made chemicals to snare those who are reducing calories and therefore susceptible to the marketing of 0 calories.
  • jessieinblue
    Options
    Yes but also older so it'd have to be... simpler? She's really smart but I had her read something before that talked about the nervous system, and she just got lost and discredited it. But I'm open to any suggestions you have (I could certainly use more knowledge myself). Especially anything promoting organic.

Going to send you a message :)