toes go numb when exercising

Options
Everytime I exercise on my elliptical my left toes get tinglely (sp?) and numb. After about a half hour everytime this happens. I think I'm going to make a Dr. appointment but was just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how it turned out.

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Do your shoes fit properly? If the toe box is too tight, they're laced too tightly, etc. that could lead to some of the numbness and tingling. Happens if my soccer socks bunch in my toe area when I'm playing.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes, or you could have a pinched nerve. You might look into a chiropractic adjustment if your regular doc doesn't find anything.
  • buckeyereavis
    Options
    shoes tied to tight?
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    mine did too before i started to wear new shoes.
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Options
    Ive also had this happen to me but Im not quiet sure why. I never experienced any pain and it was only on one foot. It was when I started to get into a really good excercise routine, previously I hardly ever worked out. It hasnt occured again though.
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    mine do... just half of my right foot though...i just kinda thought it was the way i was running...or i was putting to much pressure on my right foot.
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me and I was told it was my shoes...got new crosstrainers and it went away.
  • theTX4
    theTX4 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me when I'm barefoot. I use my wii fit plus for exercise, so it doesn't make sense to keep taking off my shoes as I change to activities that need the wii fit board.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    a lot of people get this with the elliptical. It is caused from your foot staying in the same position on the machine, unlike walking or running. Not really anything you can do about it other than maybe only do it for 25 min then switch to a different maching
  • cmel6334
    cmel6334 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine did that if I had my shoes too tight!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me my entire life. I thought for years that this is what people ment when they said "my dogs are barkin'" or "my feet are tired".
    Turns out in my case it's a 2 fold issue.
    1) I have fallen arches (flat feet). VERY common in people with weight problems. Fixable w/ custom made orthodics. Most US health insurance plans cover them.
    2) Neuromas. These are small turmors that develop in your feet and press on the nerves. (They feel like small ball bearings under the skin.) When inflammation occurs in the feet, they swell up and press on the nerve.

I compete in triathlons and it's just something I've learned to live with, but the orthodics did help for a while!
  • sdickman
    sdickman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. It started when my laces were too tight. However, after buying laces that do not need to be tied and leaving them as loose as possible, I find that it still happens because of the way my toes hit the ground. It seems that bottom of my second toe hits the ground before any of my other toes. I have not found a solution to the problem, but am considering attending a stride clinic in my area to see if there is something I can change in my stride.
  • maisie_moo
    Options
    I always get it if I've tied my footwear too tight or "got the wrong socks on"
  • arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine does that when I use the bike and it goes away when I adjust my feet to get some circulation back. I think, like a previous poster said, it's because your foot isn't moving - it's staying in one place the entire time.
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It happened to me last night...it was my right foot second and third toe only. When I got off the elliptical I couldn't even bend my toes then slowly the pain went away. I was wondering the same thing but it must be the shoes. I'm currently researching what is the best shoe for the elliptical machine since we put more pressure on the toes and ball of the foot area (at least I do).
  • mjane48
    Options
    I have that issue; I got new shoes & new inserts from a running place & lace & unlace but it still feels like my foot falls asleep a little but, you know, it's not like I'm sitting on it- I'm running! I went to a few Dr's and finally talked to a Chiropracter- He said my sciatic nerve is slightly pinched (probably from sitting all day & no stretching) & I found out my back was a little tweaked so that my right leg was about a 1/2 inch shorter than my left! After a few adjustments, I am happy to report my legs are the same length now :P and he gave me some stretches to do to keep myself from compensating...I'd check in with someone on that just to make sure. My foot still feels a little "pins & needles" after about 20-30 min, but its much MUCH better & they told me if I did my stretching & activity consistently (whoops!) it would most likely keep improving. It's a bit annoying though!
  • TNMOM
    TNMOM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Dr. Oz where it was advised to lace your shoes in the opposite direction....Meaning towards the toe box. It's worth a shot to try it::)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It could be a pinched nerve, tight shoes, or a combo of both.

I used to get numb toes when I wore pointy-toed heels almost every day at work. They were so tight they pinched a nerve. It took a few months of not wearing the heels for the numbness to go away.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started out, and I was able to solve the issue simply by not "running" on the balls of my feet all the time. Use as much of a full-foot motion like when walking or running (heel to toe), and you won't be putting all of your weight on your toes so much.
  • ajt55
    ajt55 Posts: 1
    Options
    Happens to me too. Check your shoes for fit--I discovered I now need wide width and didn't know it. Also, I switch machines after 20-25 minutes. I go to the stairmaster or bike and can then go back on the elliptical if I feel like it. Or sometimes just getting off and walking around helps.