Tattoo Feedback

Options
OK - here is the tattoo I am planning to get in the semi-near future. It will be my first one and I am planning to get it on the inside of my forearm. If you don't know this is called Ouroboros, or a serpent eating its own tail. It is a symbol of rebirth...kind of like a Phoenix (or Fenix). I like the idea of getting what I need from within instead of something else (i.e. food). Thoughts?

19_aris-ouroboros.jpg

Replies

• improvstitute
    Options
    Hold please...image not linking.
  • improvstitute
    Options
    19_aris-ouroboros.jpg
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think tattoos are extremely personal and if that is what you want and it has meaning to you then go for it.
  • beckijtn
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

I like the idea of "non-food" rewards for hitting goals. I'm thinking pedicures, massages (already have my certificate for that!!!) etc. I think a new tattoo is a great idea. I have (2) and will eventually add my 3rd - although another small one might not be out of the question.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    nice, go for it!
  • AkBUTLER
    AkBUTLER Posts: 107
    Options
    Love the meaning. Looks good.
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I say go for it - I have 11 tattoos that all mean something very personal to me. Make sure you research your tattooist as well as the parlor since this is essentially going to be a permanent thing.
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    I like it a lot! Just make sure to go to a good studio :)
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I love it... and I love it even more that it has a special meaning to you. A lot of people just think it looks cool so they do it, it has to have some sort of meaning or you will regret it years later. I hope you post a picture after its done =)

I can't wait until my next tattoo hehe.
  • llbates
    Options
    prepare to become addicted to Ink. Once you get your first tattoo you will not stop, it is important to remeber that this is a permanant process, even "removal" options leave a scar. You should be dedicated to the image, it has to be something you will be willing to explain to people whom ask about the meaning behind the imagery. and don't allow people to tell you it does not hurt, becuase it does. You are going to be allowing someone to break your skin, over and over and over again, like a thousand tiny papercuts. Also do a lot of research into the parlor you are planning on using ask to see work that the artist has done, a lot of the time their is someone in parlor that you can look at their work on, run your fingers over it make sure it is almost smooth to the skin, if it is not then don't use that artist, check the conditions of the cleanliness around the parlor, you do not have to get the tattoo the first time you walk in, ask a lot of questions make sure they are knowledgable check their answers online.

You are planning on putting a decorative scar on your body and embed ink in it, treat this with as grave as a desicion as it is.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    I think tattoos are extremely personal and if that is what you want and it has meaning to you then go for it.

I agree!!

And I love what you picked out and it's meaning!
  • Badger1201
    Options
    One of the many representations of Jörmungandr?

Go for it. Be sure. Because it will be there with you until the very end.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    I don't see a serpent (it has legs), I see a dragon, but it is nice and colourful and if it's meaningful to you then it's as good a choice as any. I have one on my hip, meaningless & horrible, thank goodness I don't need to look at it!
  • orting514
    Options
    :drinker: I say go for it - I have 11 tattoos that all mean something very personal to me. Make sure you research your tattooist as well as the parlor since this is essentially going to be a permanent thing.

I agree tattoos do generally have a meaning behind them, i have 1, a heart with my kids names in it over my left boob, (My kids are in my heart), im thinking of getting a memorial tattoo with my brothers name in it, and my true loves name in his native language.
  • Yoleegarnet
    Options
    Okay, I know this is going to sound far fetched, but I apprenticed to become a tattoo artist for a while until I realized how much the profession didn't fit my lifestyle. So I've got some insight to share...

My two (or three) cents are this:

This tattoo will be on your body for the rest of your life. You will grow old and grey and more than likely that gorgeous dragon will look pretty old...and grey...too. Inks fade and 'fuzz' out over time (the cells in your epidermis die and decay, as you go through sun burn after sun burn, and year after year of life, your tattoo will become damaged slowly in the process); so you should decide if you are willing to have that mark on your body when you are an old geezer. <3 Think of it this way: Do you want your grandchildren to ask: "Grandpa what is that funny mark on your arm?" I have seen countless older men with tattoos that barely resembled what they did before. Granted methods are much more advanced and professional now, but the skin and how it decays is still the same.

Also, do you want your future employers to see that tattoo FIRST before seeing the rest of you? In this sad day and age that is what people usually see first on a person... The tattoos on your skin, no matter how beautiful, and perfect, are going to be a big glaring sign on your skin that says 'LOOK HERE'! A good margin of potential employers will view tattoo's with a 'frown'. I am saying most, not all.

Lastly, my favorite method of helping people decide whether they want the tattoo or not: Take that same picture and put it away for 6 months. At the end of that time if you decide you still like the picture then go for it! A lot of people who have followed that advice have later come to say that they really did not like the idea they had at the time and discarded it immediately. Tastes change pretty quickly and with no warning... Y'never know.

Anywho, I hope I was able to help. I believe that tattoo is a good choice if you were to settle. It's the classic symbol of eternity, the serpent Ouroboros... That symbolism alone would give your tattoo powerful and long lasting meaning, giving you joy in the piece for the rest of your life! The only thing I worry about on that picture though is that sometimes lines that are sitting so close together are impossible to create without extensive blurring where they all literally flood and melt into each other a year or so down the road. SOME artists may suggest that you allow them to simplify the dragon a tiny bit to avoid that problem in the future. :D

I hope I helped, and I'm sorry if I came off wrong or was way too long winded in any way! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :D
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Lastly, my favorite method of helping people decide whether they want the tattoo or not: Take that same picture and put it away for 6 months. At the end of that time if you decide you still like the picture then go for it! A lot of people who have followed that advice have later come to say that they really did not like the idea they had at the time and discarded it immediately. Tastes change pretty quickly and with no warning... Y'never know.

I absolutely couldn't agree more with this part. If I have an idea that I like, I will sit on it for a year or so... if I still like the idea then I will go for it. I've had a few and after a year I've ditched some ideas saying 'what was I thinking?'. One idea I was holding onto since I got my first tattoo... I held onto it for 6 years and still loved it so I went for it. Even though I only have 2 tattoos (still sitting on my next idea(s)) my second one that I held onto for those 6 years is by far my favorite one.
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    as long as you still think you will like seeing it every day in 25 years time....then by all means....

(not a tattoo convert)
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know this is going to sound far fetched, but I apprenticed to become a tattoo artist for a while until I realized how much the profession didn't fit my lifestyle. So I've got some insight to share...

My two (or three) cents are this:

This tattoo will be on your body for the rest of your life. You will grow old and grey and more than likely that gorgeous dragon will look pretty old...and grey...too. Inks fade and 'fuzz' out over time (the cells in your epidermis die and decay, as you go through sun burn after sun burn, and year after year of life, your tattoo will become damaged slowly in the process); so you should decide if you are willing to have that mark on your body when you are an old geezer. <3 Think of it this way: Do you want your grandchildren to ask: "Grandpa what is that funny mark on your arm?" I have seen countless older men with tattoos that barely resembled what they did before. Granted methods are much more advanced and professional now, but the skin and how it decays is still the same.

Also, do you want your future employers to see that tattoo FIRST before seeing the rest of you? In this sad day and age that is what people usually see first on a person... The tattoos on your skin, no matter how beautiful, and perfect, are going to be a big glaring sign on your skin that says 'LOOK HERE'! A good margin of potential employers will view tattoo's with a 'frown'. I am saying most, not all.

Anywho, I hope I was able to help. I believe that tattoo is a good choice if you were to settle. It's the classic symbol of eternity, the serpent Ouroboros... That symbolism alone would give your tattoo powerful and long lasting meaning, giving you joy in the piece for the rest of your life! The only thing I worry about on that picture though is that sometimes lines that are sitting so close together are impossible to create without extensive blurring where they all literally flood and melt into each other a year or so down the road. SOME artists may suggest that you allow them to simplify the dragon a tiny bit to avoid that problem in the future. :D

I hope I helped, and I'm sorry if I came off wrong or was way too long winded in any way! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! :D

I recently posted about a tattoo that I have been considering. I appreciate your two/three cents. I have not yet made a decision about what I will do and I don't have a final image. I have drawn several versions (not a totally off the wall idea b/c I do have a background in art). This may sound ridiculous, but I even got out my good ole sharpie marker and drew one version on the actual spot where I think I want to get my tattoo...lol..figured it would help me with the whole "this is permanent" deal.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I love tattoos. I don't like seeing people get tattoos that don't have any meaning...example: my ex has a guitar tattoo'd on his arm. What is the point of that? Make it have meaning, otherwise you'll probably end up regretting it. If it has a lot of meaning to you, than do it! I think it'll look nice. I haven't gotten any tattoos yet but I plan on getting a lot.