I need reasons not to eat this cake.

Options
So, my daughter's birthday party was yesterday. We still have a considerable amount of chocolate cake with buttercream icing leftover, just sitting in the fridge and taunting me. My weakness is sweets, especially anything with icing. I've managed to stay away from it since my one piece at the party, but I keep telling myself, "Come on, it's Super Bowl Sunday.. you can have some cake!" I'm not even sure how many calories is in a portion, and I KNOW I won't be satisfied with a tiny piece, so I'm just trying to stay away from it. I'm still on the fence, but I'd like to be fully satisfied in my decision not to eat this cake.

It's just making me sad. :( My husband told me that I feed off instant gratification more than anyone he knows, and it's true.. Yes, I want to lose weight and being healthy will ultimately make me happier than this piece of cake, but I need some reasons from some MFP community members why I shouldn't indulge.

Note: in addition to the cake, I also had a cupcake on Friday, and we went out to eat for her birthday on Friday too at a steakhouse (prime rib, loaded baked potato, and grilled veggie skewers).. so my point is I've treated myself enough for the weekend I think.

Replies

• chrysnel
    Options
    My thought is to either throw it out, give it away, or if you can't bear the thought of that - at least put it in the freezer - cut into very small portions! Then leave it there for your family to eat - or invite some people over and fatten them up instead! :laugh:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Throw it out! Her birthday was YESTERDAY not today. No need for more cake.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    I agree get it out of your house.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i know this feeling all too well. just say NO. Throw it out! I did that to cake last night, I actually wanted just one piece (cause I did so good with my cals) and then she gave me 2! It was forced on me, I pushed the second piece around on my plate and then threw it in the garbage.

Reason: cake makes me fat , sluggish, and unhealthy!
  • danrenee
    Options
    Don't think twice....get it down the garbage disposal! :)
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I agree with freezing it! Great idea!

Did anyone ever see that episode of Sex and the City where Miranda squirts dishwasher soap on the cake so she won't eat it? :D
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    Throw it out! Her birthday was YESTERDAY not today. No need for more cake.
    EXACTLY. It's a birthDAY not birthDAYS or birthWEEKS. Just picture something nasty happened to it.
  • ababygrace
    Options
    CHUNK IT! You'll be glad you did :smile:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Throw it away.

Here's a reason, 2 pounds.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As hard as it may be (I'm a baker, so I understand) just throw it out. Maybe save a little if your family wants some, but just get rid of it. You don't need it. You've already treated yourself this weekend, so it's only making your life miserable.

Next time you have a birthday party, make sure your guests go home with the extra food and cake!
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    Yup, get rid of it, I battled a tray of brownies a few weeks ago, it was literally ALL I thought about all day, and I gave in, had way too much, and felt terrible afterwards. It's so not worth it! Go to the pharmacy and get a new lipstick, or nail polish! Retail therapy always trumps carb therapy!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For me, if I had that temptation I would try and think of how lousy it would make me feel afterwards. It may taste good going down but then what? You're left with guilt, disapointment and a TON of extra calories that your body doesnt need.

If its too much of a temptation throw the sucker out!!!!
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I know a tiny piece isn't satisfying, but can you put it in a bowl with some chopped up fruit? I find that if I pad the size of the sweet thing with some fruit, I don't feel as ripped off as I do when I'm picking at a tiny piece.

Personally, I find the whole "picture it as something gross" or "do something to ruin it" thing to be a rather eating disordered way of thinking. Those are tricks that anorexic and bulimic people use. Willpower is the best tool here :)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I agree- toss it or give it away. If your family will be upset because they want the leftovers, then envision yourself eating the cake, and then envision the cake turning into a big, nasty blob of fat on your rear.... because essentially, that's what happens. With work you will eventually will get to the point where you can have one piece and not think about eating the rest of the cake. Just keep it up. This is the reason you are here to begin with, right? So be good to yourself and don't do it. Go find something productive to do to take your mind off it.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Let your daughter have one more piece, then dump it. Have your husband throw it away so you're not tempted to even sneak a little bit. I love cake too. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My favorite is donuts. I never turn down donuts. On Friday, some jerk brought in donuts. I smelled them. I looked at them. I walked away from them. I'm glad I did. The guilt and self recriminations are not there having ignored it.

If you eat this cake, you will feel bad. You will feel bad about your body. You will feel bad about your lack of self control. And you will feel bad about your decision for letting the cake win. Out with it I say! Cake be gone! :tongue:
  • Suvarna
    Options
    ask yourself what emotion lies behind wanting to eat that cake, if you are feeling sad and think the cake will make you feel better, see the positive action that you are looking for - i.e "I want to feel better/happy." So instead of using the cake to make you feel better, find another activity that will give you the feeling of happiness. A walk? Pottering in the garden? Sorting out an old cupboard? Arranging a vase of flowers?...And you can do this with any emotion that you use to eat with...turn it into a positive! :) Hope that helps!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Because sugar is really bad for you!

Americans consume between two to three pounds of sugar every week. The sugar is being processed in so many foods we eat. These foods are not just sweets. Sugar in large quantities can be found in peanut butter, mayonnaise, bread, ketchup and many other categorically "non-sweets" products.

Now let's get to the question: Why is Refined Sugar bad for you?

Refined Sugar is bad for you because it raises the insulin level in your blood.

Raised blood insulin levels depress the immune system. If your immune system is depressed then your ability to fight disease is weakened.

Raised blood insulin levels can cause weight gain. Insulin promotes the storage of fat; so, when you eat foods high in refined sugar, you increase fat storage. Obviously, the result is rapid weight gain.

Refined Sugar contains no vitamins or minerals so in order for sugar to be metabolized it must draw on the body's reserve of vitamins and minerals. When these reserves are depleted, metabolization of cholesterol and fatty acid is impeded, contributing to higher blood serum triglycerides, cholesterol, promoting obesity due to higher fatty acid storage around organs.

In summary here are ways that refined sugar can affect your health: o Sugar can suppress the immune system. o Sugar can upset the body's mineral balance. o Sugar can contribute to hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children. o Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides. o Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children. o Sugar can reduce helpful high density cholesterol (HDLs). o Sugar can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol (LDLs). o Sugar can cause hypoglycemia. o Sugar contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection. o Sugar can cause kidney damage. o Sugar can increase the risk of coronary heart disease. o Sugar may lead to chromium deficiency. o Sugar can cause copper deficiency. o Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium. o Sugar can increase fasting levels of blood glucose. o Sugar can promote tooth decay. o Sugar can produce an acidic stomach. o Sugar can raise adrenaline levels in children. o Sugar can lead to periodontal disease. o Sugar can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and grey hair. o Sugar can increase total cholesterol. o Sugar can contribute to weight gain and obesity. o High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. o Sugar can contribute to diabetes. o Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis. o Sugar can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity. o Sugar leads to decreased glucose tolerance. o Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease. o Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure. o Sugar causes food allergies. o Sugar can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream. o Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy. o Sugar can contribute to eczema in children. o Sugar can overstress the pancreas, causing damage. o Sugar can cause atherosclerosis. o Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries. o Sugar can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver. o Sugar can increase the amount of fat in the liver. o Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney. o Sugar can cause depression. o Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention. o Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance. o Sugar can cause hypertension. o Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines. o Sugar can cause an increase in delat, alpha and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind's ability to think clearly. o Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness which increases risk of blood clots and strokes. o Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low sugar diets. o Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    As I agree with everyone about getting it out of the house, if you a person like me that thinks its not my child's fault that I am fat and its not fair to them for me to throw out their treats then I know you wont think twice of keeping that cake. My advice is give it to your family and if you are like me with a huge sweet tooth search the internet to figure out the calories. Once you find something close you may see that the amount of calories in the cake will turn you off from eating it. This happened to me last night. Once I knew how many calories was in it I didn't want it anymore. Or it could help you to determine if you do have it where you can take calories from or it may help you eat a smaller piece then you would have before knowing the calories..
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    out of site out of mind!!! i am craving cake this weekend really bad for some reason. just think of it as goooooo!! good luck
  • momroe
    Options
    I say take it over to a neighbor and share with them. You won't waste it and you won't add it to your waist..... Plus they'll think you are thoughtful to share with them.
    p.s. I made some carmel corn today, had a few bites, saved some for the family for the game tonight and took the rest to the neighbors, they have small kids to save me from myself.