40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We finally got my son in laws address over in Afghanistan so my daughter and I will be sending out care packages to the soldiers next week. I guess they really need baby wipes because of the lack of water they are only allowed to take a shower every 5 days... Yuck.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend and if you watch the super bowl hopefully your team wins. I dont watch it so....
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Not much time to chat today as I am involved in training for my new position. I will try to check in later!

Have a great day!
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Morning everyone,

So I tried not to overdo it at the superbowl party last night but I did! But I'm not giving up, I will succeed!
    Back on the horse today! :smile:

Hope everyone has a great Monday!
  • pepper06
    Options
    ALTUSHE-WLD DEF CUT THE CARBS....YOU WILL DROP FOR SURE!

well, the sb was a good game -not so in the 1st quarter...too bad steelers lost-there were issues.
    too badd about the star spangled banner incorrectly sung, but wasn't like the whole song was messed up. As planned I ate all the wrong foods for 1 day-was very bad.

well, I never made it to church sun morning as I slipped on the ice and my glasses cut a deep gash into my eyebrow, so spent the mroning in the emergency room-7 stitches later will be removed in 10 days. Spent more time just waiting in the room for them, but the Dr did a good jog(I asked him if he could spell steelers w/the stictches) It is sore,swollen etc.

Tex-glad you had some wonderful snow walks. Sounds wonderful.....amazing how tx had ice like that too. Our snow is still frozen.'

well off to the eye dr to get my glasses repaired.

stay off the ice!
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. Being above that 40 mark always brings challenges
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

altushe, have you changed your workout routine at all? What are you doing for workouts right now? I ask this because, as singfree said, carbs can cause weight gain. But if you've been on this level of carbs since December, I would question whether that is the issue. It MAY be because it does take the body some time to adjust to changes (a couple or few weeks isn't out of the question). But if you've changed your workout routine at all, I'd be more inclined to think your temporary (because I have no doubt it is temporary) weight gain could be coming from there. I know I'm very sensitive to changing my workout routine, and when I do, I retain water like there is no tomorrow. So are you lifting heavier weights by chance? Or challenging yourself more in other areas (like plyometrics) that may be causing your muscles to retain fluid? Don't get discouraged because, right now, 3.5 pounds isn't something to panic about. I'd hate to see you start making sudden changes to your diet as a result, especially if whatever changes you make may not be sustainable in the long run. In other words, you need to find a lifestyle you can live with right now and if you unnecessarily cut those carbs (and don't need to) that may not be the best thing in the long run either since we need carbs to live. Maintenance is all about finding that lifestyle that you can sustain for the duration of your years. That's one of the reasons I tossed the scale aside because, quite honestly, I couldn't craft a sensible lifestyle while obsessing about very ounce I gained. However, it was very easy to craft a healthy and sustainable lifestyle when I simply focused on the best foods for me (within a given calorie allowance) that were both healthy and enjoyable.

LadyPersia, I'm glad you are enjoying your new HRM. They really can be an inspiration, can't they? Good job with all you are doing!

tron, your son-in-laws situation sounds less than ideal. I think its so nice you are doing so much to remember him while he is gone. I'm sure that helps your daughter SO much.

vero, congrats on the weight loss last week!

sixpackgoal, welcome! And welcome to your 40s! These are some great years. I feel so much better in my 40s than I ever did in my 20s!

Victorious_One, good luck with that reunion. My class didn't have a 25th reunion at all. I'm wondering if they'll have a 30th. I'd be kind of curious to see everybody (since I haven't seen anybody since high school itself) but my class was so dull, I'd probably be one of three people to show up. I think that's why the reunions have gone away.

TXMs, what a MESS you had getting home!! I'm glad you were around family and weren't stranded in the airport for that long, but....wow! You must be happy to be home!

Kim, congratulations on the weight loss last week!!! Good job setting weekly workout goals like that. Very nice!

pepper, sorry about the Steelers, but it was a good game. Yeah, the National Anthem thing was a bit of a disappointment. The thing is Christina Aguilera actually has a good voice. But, boy, yesterday wasn't her best day performing, that's for sure. Oh, well.

2bfitforever, WELCOME!

All here is going well. I'm feeling better. Still not back to working out, but I'm back to my healthier eating habits. I think it will be another week before I feel up to a good workout, but I scrubbed the house from top to bottom this morning, so my energy is definitely coming back. Just want to make sure the chest congestion is all gone before I start up again. I think my body is loving this break right now, so I'm not going to worry too much about how long I'm off. I know I'll be back at it soon enough!

Hope you all enjoy your day!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Happy Monday all!! :laugh:
    I'm just happy we are starting the week out WITHOUT snow, but we're supposed to get anywhere from 2-8 inches tomorrow with below zero wind chills again...yuk!!!:grumble: :grumble: I'm totally ready for spring.

Had a horrible eating weekend - pizza Friday night (celebrating the hubby's return after 2 weeks at school), huge brunch at a local diner on Saturday with the neighbors, and Super Bowl munchies yesterday. I keep telling myself that I HAVE to make myself eat better and make the hubby eat better too..... Now if I could only make it happen :noway: :noway: Actually, the Super Bowl munchies yesterday weren't that bad - I ate more carrot sticks and broccoli than anything else. We watched the whole game, and not just for the commercials :laugh: One of Green Bay's players is a local home grown guy - #87 Jordy Nelson, and he had an awesome game! Kinda neat to watch and actually know one of the players; his sister and my daughter were college roomates a few years ago, and I saw him a few times at their place before he moved to Green Bay. I can still see the priceless look on his face when I told him to invest in lots of Under Armour cold gear before he headed north!:laugh: :laugh: At the time, it was the middle of summer and I don't think he'd even thought about the cold Wisconsin winters he was headed for!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Tron, if you dont mind message me and send me his address!!!! I would love to send him a care package. Does he need anything else? What snacks, cookies, etc does he like?

I will post more later once I get to read everyone's posts. Only Tron's post caught my eye. :flowerforyou:
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good day 40+,

I had my 3 month old grandaughter for a spend the night party last night and today, I'm pooped. My hubby left for work out of town today, will be gone a few days so I'm home alone. My son is in and out so I rarely see him (enough to count). He is working full time and going to College with 4 classes this semester. I pray he makes it this quarter..

Tron: I too have family in Afganistan. Brother-in-Law is Apachie Helicopter pilot. Sending care packages are so helpful to them. I know they appreciate it.. It is so dangerous what these guys do and I am so proud of them.

I have a question if someone could advise: I'm not sure my calories are correct. The default has them set at 1450. I rarely make it to that so I'm questioning if it is correct cause the last week i have been up and down 1.5 lbs. I checked the default and if I change it to 1.5 lbs loss per week it would put me at a 1200 calorie goal. I'm not sure about that.. Remember my exercise is limited, but I am currently going to Physical Therapy twice a week. Thoughts?

I hope everyone started their week off good.. MUAH...
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Worked night shift all weekend and did not log my food...just too tired. Nights is always tough on my efforts to eat healthy, but I didn't do too badly. I'm pretty much in maintenance mode, so a little loosening of the reins in terms of counting cals may not be such a bad thing. I'm glad to be back on a day schedule this week so i can resume good eating and exercise habits. Have a great week everyone!
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hello all.....

I've been absent from this site for a couple of months (due to surgery, then lame excuses LOL) So I'm trying to get back up on the horse and continue my journey. Found this thread and think its just what I need.... Looking forward to reading everyones posts!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm wanna join too!!!! Although I'm on the down slope to 50 quicker than I want to be... I'll be 47 in March.

Today was a pretty good day! Wanted to walk faster but was with a friend who just started walking for excercise, so we only walked about 3.0 mph...

Can't wait to hear about everyone...

L.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everybody!

mk, how fun that you know Jordy Nelson. He really did have a good game on Sunday. Don't worry about the eating this weekend. You'll be back on track in no time.

Cbaker, regarding your calories, I think it is important for you to eat what you are comfortable with. The notion of losing 1-2 pounds a week really is because that is what most people can reasonably and comfortably do AND sustain once they go into maintenance mode. So you would be fine with either the 1450 calories (for a slightly slower weight loss) OR the 1200 calories. But if you drop to 1200 calories and find yourself hungry all the time and such, maybe try varying it between 1200 and 1450 on different days. I know I found 1200 VERY hard to sustain for long. I usually ended up eating about 1300 calories a day because, for whatever reason, that extra 100 calories made all of the difference in the world. So do what you are comfortable with. Neither is 'wrong', that's for sure. Just don't go below 1200 because that would be too few calories for you.

jbug, good job in transitioning into maintenance. I counted my calories for quite some time when I hit maintenance but found it better to listen to my body more than a number on the computer.

gardenimp, welcome!! I'm sorry to hear about the surgery. Please feel free to jump right in to the conversation here.

momtozmc, you are more than welcome too!!! Good job with the walking and great job with your weight loss so far!!!

Nothing much new to report here. I'm definitely feeling better. We have sunny skies today, so I think I'll head out for a long walk. I know I can't be doing cardio yet (still too much congestion in my chest), but I'm anxious to get this body moving again. We'll see how that goes. My appetite definitely isn't back to normal, but I no longer to feel the need to just eat what sounds good (which ended up being alot of peanut butter last week!) So I'm back to much healthier eating right now. Hopefully that will get my energy levels back up too!

Hope you all have a great day!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Good morning from snowy Kansas!! Woke up to 4+ inches at my house; only about 2 inches so far here at work (23 miles away) but coming down pretty steady. Not a fun commute this morning - the snow is very light and blowing everywhere, so every time someone moved over into the snowpacked left lane; it was zero visibility for a few seconds. Temp has warmed UP to 6°, wind chill is still -14°....bah!:grumble: Not looking forward to the drive home, but planning to leave a little early so it'll still be daylight.

FINALLY got a good workout in last night at Curves - felt so good! Now if I can just keep it up. This winter dreary snowy cold is dragging me down - I need sunshine and warmer weather! :laugh:

Looking at the new spring clothing catalogs showing up at my house is totally depressing.......I'm sure I wouldn't look good in any of the things I like! Guess I need to cut out a picture of something I really like and put it on the front of the fridge to give me motivation to stay OUT of it at night!! That's my problem eating time; I can do really good all day, eat healthy and plenty of it, but about 8:30 those darn ice cream cravings roll around......hard to resist!!

Welcome newbies - the more the merrier!!!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Sorry about not posting as much as usual, but I am getting REALLY busy here at work! I am working until 4 pm and I am coming back to work at 11pm. I will try to post later!
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Busy day at work and then I actually made it to work out this afternoon. One day down, four more to go to reach my five day workout goal. :smile: Just couldn't see myself working out yesterday. Too tired after being out late for the Superbowl.
    Just an inch of snow this morning here in sunny Ohio.
    Is it spring yet?? Can't wait for warmer days.

Stiring - glad you are feeling better!
    MKwood10 - I feel the same way about the clothes catalogs. I like your idea about posting a picture on the fridge! I may try that.:happy:

Welcome to newbies!
    Way to go Momtozmc on your weight loss!
    Gardenimp - Glad you made it back.

Well everyone have a great evening. Im off to make dinner.
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Had a great eating day today…..Don’t even feel deprived. Still struggling to find time to exercise, but I am making sure that I park farther away from my work building, take stairs as much as possible and move as much as possible in general. So even though my schedule is so tight, I’m making small changes that will add up.
    Mkwood10 ~ I live in Wisconsin, so I feel your pain with the snow and subzero temperatures. :grumble: Also hard to fight that desire to hibernate! I love your idea of cutting out a picture and putting it on the refrigerator, I’d have to push all the finger paintings, to do lists ect to find a spot .:bigsmile:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Back to night shift after a whole 1 hr. power nap! I chose to come in tonight because I need to pick up my car that is in the body shop at 8 am. Then i go back to work on Thursday morning at 3 am. Boy, is this confusing! After a few months it will settle down a bit...I hope! At least the really stressful parts of my old job will finally go to someone else, for which I am very glad indeed. I'm going to be pretty busy here from now on, but it's job security. I want to retire on my terms, when I want.

Stiring, I'm so glad that you are finally feeling better. I hope you can resume your workouts soon. Take care!

MK, it's getting cold here as well. Right now it's around 10 degrees and windy. Glad I'm in my office.

I got my Verizon iPhone yesterday. I am very happy with it so far. It's pretty much like an ipod touch, with a lot more bells & whistles. I do like that I can use the 3G part when not in wifi range. There are so many things to learn about it, it will take me a year to learn everything!

Have a great day!
  • mrsfoxtrot5
    mrsfoxtrot5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, as a 40+ can I join this group? I have just started with myfitness pal yesterday but have been trying to improve my lifestyle since 12 January. Pleased with my weight loss so far of 11 pounds, but really want to go the whole hog this time and lose one hundred pounds! I also want to get fit. I am British but live in Romania at the moment.!!