Does the UN actually do...ANYTHING???

Options
13»

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    Options
    edit: It looks like this topic has gone off in a number of directions while I was typing an answer to one of the questions asked... We are friends here. There are plenty of issues to be concerned about, so I'll remove my long post and get back to work. :flowerforyou:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Ok, so just to throw my 2 cents in,

According to all the scientific data (whether you believe it or not is your choice...) herds of cattle are one of the main reasons for global warming, and the reason this is a problem now, not when cattle were wild is because of human interference. It's all about the way we raise them, the fact that we raise more than would occur naturally, and the way we take care of/don't take care of their waste.

This has been shown by innumerable environmental impact studies and has been accepted as fact by international communities, scientifically. The reason we don't see a lot of that in the U.S. is because it has become a highly politicized debate.

Apparently global warming is more important to people than human suffering.

Since this has become a global warming topic, much to my chagrine, this will be it for me.

J- that was a low blow and I didn't think was very respectful!

Just because I believe that global warming is a significant and important issue, doesn't mean I don't worry about human suffering or involve myself in my community or in the world. Since you don't know me that well, I understand that you wouldn't know how involved I am or not, but again you don't know me that well, so don't stand in judgment because I care about the environment, because you DONT know about the rest of my life.

*takes a deep breath*

Jill, I think his point was that the topic was never meant to BE about global warming. I can appreciate different viewpoints, and I don't think J was passing judgement on you or anyone else, just expressing his frustration that the thread became something it wasn't ever intended to be. That being said, I'm done expressing my opinion, thank you for those that chose to contribute, and I hope you all have a blessed day.

Manda
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options

According to all the scientific data (whether you believe it or not is your choice...) herds of cattle are one of the main reasons for global warming, and the reason this is a problem now, not when cattle were wild is because of human interference. It's all about the way we raise them, the fact that we raise more than would occur naturally, and the way we take care of/don't take care of their waste.

This has been shown by innumerable environmental impact studies and has been accepted as fact by international communities, scientifically. The reason we don't see a lot of that in the U.S. is because it has become a highly politicized debate.

Apparently global warming is more important to people than human suffering.

Since this has become a global warming topic, much to my chagrine, this will be it for me.

J- that was a low blow and I didn't think was very respectful!

Just because I believe that global warming is a significant and important issue, doesn't mean I don't worry about human suffering or involve myself in my community or in the world. Since you don't know me that well, I understand that you wouldn't know how involved I am or not, but again you don't know me that well, so don't stand in judgment because I care about the environment, because you DONT know about the rest of my life.

*takes a deep breath*

Jill, I think his point was that the topic was never meant to BE about global warming. I can appreciate different viewpoints, and I don't think J was passing judgement on you or anyone else, just expressing his frustration that the thread became something it wasn't ever intended to be. That being said, I'm done expressing my opinion, thank you for those that chose to contribute, and I hope you all have a blessed day.

Manda

Exactly.

I didn't mean offense Jill, I really didn't. I definately wasn't judging, I just would have rather you had read the post I made right before yours. This topic was never meant to be a topic on global warming. It was a topic about how a body of people that was designed to alleviate suffering throughout the world was spending it's time on an issue that it was never chartered to address, all the while the issue that it *was* designed to address is rampant and totally out of control. Why it is that people felt it necessary to bring global warming into this topic, as I plainly stated in my first post that it wasn't the point, is a very poignant mirror to what the UN is doing, and that totally and completely frustrates me.

I've tried to explain this numerous times, but it's just not getting through. I suggest we let this post die out, I have nothing else to add. If ya'll want to make it a Global Warming debate feel free, I won't contribute anything further.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

It's not their waste that causes problems.

It's their farts. :laugh:

We need to form the MFP Coalition for the Distribution of Beano. The MFP CDB will make every effort to battle the threat of global warming by forming relationships with farmers--as well as their gassy cows--and promoting the distribution and free use of Beano gas-prevention pills.

It's not just gassy cows, it's gassy people too. All these MFP people eating all that fiber and healthy foods and farting all over the place is causing global warming at an alarming rate. Do your part people! Run to the store and stock up on Beano! I'm outta here! Gotta get my Beano before it's all gone!
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry we had a misunderstanding there.

I would just like to point out (in a calm, rational manner) that the UN does a lot of things it was not originally chartered to do... The original charter states that the UN is supposed to control Inter-state conflict. If it restricted itself only to that, it would never be involved in any way in any internal (intra-state) conflict, such as Rwanda, Darfur, Kosovo, etc... not saying it does a great job, just that if it followed the original charter, it would never be involved at all. They would also not be involved with humanitarian aid (which it is) etc. The UN has grown and transformed into a HUGE international community that allows for a lot of stuff to go on, there are several branches, and many facets and goals to the 21st Century UN. Also, just because they are showcasing this one thing the UN is doing, doesnt mean they arent doing anything else.

I'm not saying I'm a huge supporter of the UN or the way they operate, just saying that we can't judge the entity based on one news article.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately Russia has veto rights so if the UN decided to take action Russia can veto their decision. Crazy.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

It's not their waste that causes problems.

It's their farts. :laugh:

We need to form the MFP Coalition for the Distribution of Beano. The MFP CDB will make every effort to battle the threat of global warming by forming relationships with farmers--as well as their gassy cows--and promoting the distribution and free use of Beano gas-prevention pills.

It's not just gassy cows, it's gassy people too. All these MFP people eating all that fiber and healthy foods and farting all over the place is causing global warming at an alarming rate. Do your part people! Run to the store and stock up on Beano! I'm outta here! Gotta get my Beano before it's all gone!

Katie Couric says to eat Beano!!!! Look at the reduction in her 'bloat'! :laugh:

Couric_Beano.jpg
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry we had a misunderstanding there.

I would just like to point out (in a calm, rational manner) that the UN does a lot of things it was not originally chartered to do... The original charter states that the UN is supposed to control Inter-state conflict. If it restricted itself only to that, it would never be involved in any way in any internal (intra-state) conflict, such as Rwanda, Darfur, Kosovo, etc... not saying it does a great job, just that if it followed the original charter, it would never be involved at all. They would also not be involved with humanitarian aid (which it is) etc. The UN has grown and transformed into a HUGE international community that allows for a lot of stuff to go on, there are several branches, and many facets and goals to the 21st Century UN. Also, just because they are showcasing this one thing the UN is doing, doesnt mean they arent doing anything else.

I'm not saying I'm a huge supporter of the UN or the way they operate, just saying that we can't judge the entity based on one news article.

*sigh*

Jill, my employer works with the UN on a regular basis, and I can tell you from experience that I am fully qualified to comment on the way they operate, and it's in no way related to 'one news article'.

*takes deep breath*

From my understanding the US also has veto rights, my biggest problem with the Georgia conflict, is that when the UN sent in 'peacekeepers' you know what country they belonged to???

Anyone care to take a guess???

RUSSIA.

That's right. Russian peacekeepers.

Now tell me that ain't something.

It's a load of crap is what it is.

If that doesn't signify corruption, then I don't know what does.

Furthermore, I could care less that the UN does 'lots of things they weren't chartered to do'. The fact of the matter is that the thing that they *WERE* chartered to do, they ARE NOT doing. If they wanted to be the world health organization then they should have named themselves that. (and yes, there already is a W.H.O.).
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Katie Couric says to eat Beano!!!! Look at the reduction in her 'bloat'! :laugh:

Couric_Beano.jpg

Another random thought, or actually more of an observation... I'm not as gassy as I was when I joined here. That's good, right? oranges.gif
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That is great! It's better for the environment.

Keep your methane to yourself!! :tongue: LOL :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Couric_Beano.jpg

Another random thought, or actually more of an observation... I'm not as gassy as I was when I joined here. That's good, right? oranges.gif

I would think so. For me it's the other way around though. Got my Beano! :bigsmile:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    That is great! It's better for the environment.

Keep your methane to yourself!! :tongue: LOL :laugh:

big_lol.gif I'm sure my family appreciates it. :wink:
  • scheidch
    Options
    The climate is cooling. When this happened when I was a child, they were all screaming we were all gonna die of freezing temperatures. I believe it's the sun. It has bursts of output. What can we do about that?

That reminds me that there has been almost no sunspot activity for quite some time now, and it's predicted that it could possibly be in the hundreds of days before there is any real sunspot activity.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/11jul_solarcycleupdate.htm

They make the disclaimer that they don't know what the effect of sunspots on our climate is, but I suppose that's a possibility that they do affect us.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem with the UN is the UN Security Council. The security council acts as the 'head of the beast' and is comprised of the US, Russia, China, and Britain (who happen to be the largest arms exporters on earth - conflict of interest much? - but I digress).

The UN would be effective if this was abolished. As it stands, anytime one of these countries has a grudge with another country, anything that would be done either as a punitive measure or preventative measure to possibly help the target nation, it gets a veto.

For instance (this is not to ruffle any feathers - so if anyone is of Israeli descent PLEASE note that this is based on hard fact) Israel, after being formed began to expand rapidly due to its open immigration policy as a Jewish national homeland. This led to territorial disputes with the Palastinians, many of whom were displaced. This led to further conflicts (and is in fact the root of the whole Israeli/Palastinian conflict - it is *not* a centuries old grudge between Muslims and Jews as is often touted by pop culture, as the Palastinians had lived peacefully for more than a millenia with the Mizrahi Jews of the area - it has however grown into an ethnic conflict). The UN Passed a resolution in 1967 to force Israel to return to its original borders, and not to expand beyond them.

However, nothing was done to enforce this. Anytime anything was mentioned, it recieved a US, or UK veto, effectively fanning the flames of the conflict. It ultimately led to the third intafada in the early 2000's and the Palastinians being forced to concede even more territory to Israel.

Politics make me so mad :angry: