Replies

• jess804
    jess804 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. But I looked at your diary, try to cut out the white bread, crackers, a lot of food that turns to sugar. For me if I start out the day good, like eggs, then I continue the day good. I wake up and drink water, and I think about what I want to eat. Don't beat yourself up, life is a marathon not a sprint. Good Luck on your journey

Agreed. It looks like you've got a lot of highly processed foods in your diet. These foods have a lot of empty calories and gobs of sodium. The sodium, of course, will cause you to hold onto water. I suggest you go into your food diary setting and add sodium to the list of nutrients tracked.

I think you'd also benefit from adding more nutrient rich foods to your diet. Choose whole wheat bread (not enriched) instead of white bread; dark lettuces instead of iceberg, a sandwich on whole grain instead of a frozen dinner (tons of sodium) etc., etc. Also, don't forget your fruits and vegetables... these nutrient dense foods are generally low in calorie, so you can eat a lot of them and ward off hunger.

Basically, you've got to consider the nutritional value of the items you put in your mouth. When you don't give you're body anything good to work with, it won't do good work.

Best of luck! You can do this!
  • Jazziemay
    Jazziemay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was at 184, and lost down to 155, then gained backe to 165, now I'm at 161 and still trying to lose at least 20 more pounds. I lost my mom, and two uncles, plus a good friend all last year. So I know that has had some to do with my eating habits. But I am trying my best to stay positive and eat right. I was staying at 20 carbs a day and now I have went up a little. which helps me to lose, there are days I eat less carbs and days I eat more. I have had trouble with my back and unable to exercise for at least two weeks or more, and just started back exercising today. starting out slow. You just have to stay positive
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    A couple of people mentioned that you might be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. So...you could weigh more but be less fat! The tape measure is a good idea.

About feeling hungry. I had that problem too until I started eating lots of roasted veggies (475 oven, 10-15 minutes). I never liked veggies before I tried them this way. If I fill up on veggies and fruit, I suddenly have more willpower!

Good luck.
  • MissChelleBelle
    MissChelleBelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Add Sodium & Sugar to your settings in your food diary, and pay attention to those too, especially the sodium. Make sure you're drinking enough water to counteract the effects of sodium as it causes you to retain water weight (bloating). Try to incorporate more fruit & veggies into each meal (don't worry so much about the natural sugars from fruit), and stay away from the high density carbs. Low density carbs will fuel your body for your workouts, and give you more fibre.

Protien is essential, but make sure it's low fat. I started buying 0% fat Greek Yogurt which is high in protein, and eat it every morning with 1 cup of frozen berries (blueberries, or a trio mix I get at Costco - relatively good price), with 1 serving of a high fibre cereal - like bran flakes (low in sugar). The frozen berries freezes the yogurt and it's like eating a frozen yogurt treat. I bash the berries up a bit to help sweeten up the yogurt, as it is quite tart. Make sure to always eat breakfast, as it gets your metabolism going for the day.

When I first started I was adding a lot of cream & sugar to my coffee. I started cutting down how much I added, and how strong I made my coffee, so I didn't need to add so much! Those coffee creamers are delish, but very high in cals. My cal goal is 1200, so if I had 100 - 150 cals for my coffee each day, it really took away from how much real food I could eat.

Everything will work out for you. Keep up your exercise! It will come off, don't give up!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and I think the issue is probably portion sizes and snacks. Try and find some low cal snacks (or make some, checkout my banana/blueberry protein bread thread) Don't waste calories on liquids IMO. Coffee with cream for 300 cals odd just isn't worth it IMO.

I would be dropping cheese from most meals also where possible. Mass cals for small amount of food. If you want, substitute for cottage cheese.

Try to switch to lower gi options ie. brown bread instead of white. The higher fibre keeps you full longer.

How accurate are you with recording? Is it possible that you have underestimated food intake or overestimated exercise? I know when I started measuring some of my supplements I was surprised at how much 40g actually was.

I would also try to eat more fibrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower etc) Also, beans are a good low gi carb source (keep you full for a long time)

Are you drinking enough water?

Checkout this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/171451-interesting-articles-from-john-berardi

Start With 7 Simple Rules

You'll start out with a plan based on my 7 Habits of Highly Effective
    Nutritional Programs. Clever name, no? Possibly illegal, too, I imagine. Oh
    well. (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Steven Covey, is a great book which I recommend highly – perhaps that will stave off the lawsuit.) If you've forgotten the rules, here's a summary:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after
    exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Sort out some meals that comply with the above and do that for 2 weeks. Make sure to comply 90% of the time. WIN :)

Definitely agree re measurements. Pics also (good for motivation :))
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and I think the issue is probably portion sizes and snacks. Try and find some low cal snacks (or make some, checkout my banana/blueberry protein bread thread) Don't waste calories on liquids IMO. Coffee with cream for 300 cals odd just isn't worth it IMO.

I would be dropping cheese from most meals also where possible. Mass cals for small amount of food. If you want, substitute for cottage cheese.

Try to switch to lower gi options ie. brown bread instead of white. The higher fibre keeps you full longer.

How accurate are you with recording? Is it possible that you have underestimated food intake or overestimated exercise? I know when I started measuring some of my supplements I was surprised at how much 40g actually was.

I would also try to eat more fibrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower etc) Also, beans are a good low gi carb source (keep you full for a long time)

Are you drinking enough water?

Checkout this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/171451-interesting-articles-from-john-berardi

Start With 7 Simple Rules

You'll start out with a plan based on my 7 Habits of Highly Effective
    Nutritional Programs. Clever name, no? Possibly illegal, too, I imagine. Oh
    well. (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Steven Covey, is a great book which I recommend highly – perhaps that will stave off the lawsuit.) If you've forgotten the rules, here's a summary:

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after
    exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

Sort out some meals that comply with the above and do that for 2 weeks. Make sure to comply 90% of the time. WIN :)

Definitely agree re measurements. Pics also (good for motivation :))

Great Advice. :)
  • jodie1306
    Options
    It can be terribly discouraging when you feel like you are doing all the right things but don't seem to be making any headway. The biggest thing you have to remember is that it could seriously take anywhere up to 6 months before you see some major changes. Coming to this realisation can be enough to make you give up but if you can get your head around this, then sometimes it is a bit easier "going through the motions" of eating right & exercising.

Definately 5-7 smaller meals a day helps. And water, water, water, water, water. LOL It doesn't fill you up but I know from experience that it seems to push those hunger pains down at least a little, enough for you to have the determination to say NO to eating something you know you shouldn't.

Another trick that I am trying is from another member on here. Whenever he hits a wall, he "plays the tape". In your head, run through what the outcome will be if you choose to eat that takeaway instead of a healthy meal. So in you mind run through it - "if I eat takeaway, I will feel ill because I know it upsets my stomach, then I will be berating myself because I fell off the wagon, then I will gain a kilo, then those pants that were just starting to feel loose will cut me in half again, then I won't be able to bend over to do up my shoes, then I will feel bad & will talk myself out of going for a walk, then the same thing will happen the next day, then the next, then the next."

You work out what your consequences may be & play the tape right to the end & hopefully this might make you think twice about giving up or making a bad choice.

You can do this. You know you can do this & there is heaps of support on here for you. All you have to do is ask. :-) :-)
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just to add to ChrisDavey's comments which are already spot on... it seems that apart from a very small amount of carrots you haven't eaten any fruit or vegetables in the last week. Where you have gotten vegetables from is all processed meals. You could benefit a lot by having a look at what you're eating, not just how much. You'd be surprised how much food it actually takes to get up to 1500 calories if you're eating real food.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Frequency of meals has helped me survive the past few weeks. I aim to consume 200 - 250 calories every 2 -3 hours and that's not counting small snacks. Switching the type of bread, ditching the cream in the coffee and adding veggies are good advice. If you can't change your meal selection overnight, try making one change a week to give yourself time to adjust. I have had to do this, not so much for me, but for my family. I couldn't just shock the hubby and kids with a completely eating habits. They needed time to adjust too.
  • MerrynC
    Options
    Don't be down. remember that boot camp is building up your muscle, which weighs more than fat. You're probably losing fat and putting on muscle at the same time.. Hopefully you can notice it in your clothes?:smile:
  • jess804
    Options
    I actually drank my coffee black today, it was different and yes guilty for not eating a ton of fresh fuirt n veggies cause im allergic to most of the pesticides used and ive tried organic too but sometimes they r just as bad if not worse with being around chemicals before entering a store! I'm also allergic to apples, almonds, n soy so I am alittle limited. I must not have chose the correct type of bread because its actually the Franz whole grain white my family wont eat wheat and all the wheat breads i was trying had more sugar or were much more dense? I was forcing myself to eat breakfast to "start my metabolism" eating a pbnj or whole grain cereal but has not made a difference idrather go back to starving and drinking my coffee n I was trying skim milk n nutrisweet for awhile too but not the same:( So where do I compromise? But i really do appreciate all of the feedback.
  • jess804
    Options
    All I drink is water, milk , n coffee.........tomatoe juice or v8 on occassion
  • jjvolner
    Options
    Keep in mind when exercising like you doing boot camp etc you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. The scale will show weight gain when in fact if you are sticking to your caloric intake you are building lean muscle mass. Try measuring yourself to see if inches are coming off. Inches will come before weight as well. Keep on trying!
  • jess804
    Options
    People keep telling me im probably building muscle but I want & need to lose fat??? I dont want to "bulk" up n weight more I want to weigh a healthy weight n be physically fit. I am considered OBESE for my height n weight.
  • karemh
    Options
    Dont feel discouraged dear! You are taking the necessary steps for a better you, it can take awhile. Make sure you watch your fats and sugars and fil up with vegis during meal time. You could do your protien and 2 vegi sides like a salad and a steamed vegi and whole grain roll. I have the South Beach diet cookbook and it has yummy recipes not short on flavor at all! It has snacks, desserts, appetizers and the dinners and soups yum! I l have made quite a few of the recipes and my hubby and kids are fans. the best thing is they all take under 30 min. Listen dear the muscles and the motivation is there, keep on exercising and eating well everything else will fall into place... dont lose hope k..... I do wish you the very best! karemh

please friend me I would love to keep in touch!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I'm new here. But I looked at your diary, try to cut out the white bread, crackers, a lot of food that turns to sugar. For me if I start out the day good, like eggs, then I continue the day good. I wake up and drink water, and I think about what I want to eat. Don't beat yourself up, life is a marathon not a sprint. Good Luck on your journey

Agreed. It looks like you've got a lot of highly processed foods in your diet. These foods have a lot of empty calories and gobs of sodium. The sodium, of course, will cause you to hold onto water. I suggest you go into your food diary setting and add sodium to the list of nutrients tracked.

I think you'd also benefit from adding more nutrient rich foods to your diet. Choose whole wheat bread (not enriched) instead of white bread; dark lettuces instead of iceberg, a sandwich on whole grain instead of a frozen dinner (tons of sodium) etc., etc. Also, don't forget your fruits and vegetables... these nutrient dense foods are generally low in calorie, so you can eat a lot of them and ward off hunger.

Basically, you've got to consider the nutritional value of the items you put in your mouth. When you don't give you're body anything good to work with, it won't do good work.

Best of luck! You can do this!

I would agree with this.

Also, I'd be curious - how different is your cal intake now, compared to what it was before? Are you eating much less, much more, or just changing the kinds of food? If you have drastically changed the amount of cals you're consuming on a regular basis, AND recently started exercising (especially going from 0 to a lot), it can take the body time to adjust and recalibrate the metabolism.

This thread may help understand how you can gain weight in the beginning, and that it can take a significant period of time to get things turned around. Be patient and stay strong!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First off, yes, it would be good if we could see your diary. Were all on the same journey here. Its okay. Ill give you just a few pointers that have helped me. Ever heard the expression "Abs are made in the kitchen" SO TRUE. 80 (YES) 80% of your weight loss is gonna come from your diet! Do not underestimate the power of cardio and lifting weights but if your diets not right, your spinning your wheels. Second, Try and get the biggest bang for your buck calorie wise. You can eat the same amount of calories on crap and be very little food or you coud make awesome, wholesome, clean, close to nature, choices and have tons of food with some calories left to spare. AND BE FULL TO BOOT! Try not to eat any simple carbs after 7pm. If you have to eat carbs at all eat fiberous carbs (veggies and such). Now I myself am REALLY big on lifting weights so I make sure I get TONS of protien. (at leat my bodyweight in grams) You dont HAVE to do that but replacing a couple meals a day with a protien shake will definately make a difference. It will help to spare the muscle that you have while your losing "weight" as well. You wanna lose the fat, not the muscle. That muscles gonna help you burn more calories to keep what you can. I hope that this helps a little and keep your head up. There are so many of us that have been through the same thing! Oh, and MFP underestimates just how much protien you need. Just sayin. You should probably try and overshoot it every time. :) Good luck to you on your journey. Were rootin for ya!
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OOPS, my bad, looks like from the comments, you can see your diary.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Have you tried subbing whole milk or 2% for cream in your coffee? Half of the calories. ;) You could also add some vanilla extract for very few calories. Or buy the sugar free toriani syrups
    And you can always have a bit of sugar with the calorie free sweetener. I think splenda/nutrisweet/equal all taste funny. I like truvia more, but again they taste funny. I drink my coffee with lots of milk. At least I get more protein and calcium. :D More like an au lait or a latte.

Another tip: make your own salad dressing. It is actually pretty easy, and you can cut out lots of the fat and sodium
    easy: mix vinegar, oil, mustard, a bit of honey. You hardly need any oil at all. Blend or mix with a fork.
    I typically mix around 1 tablespoon of mustard, 3 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 tablespoon of oil and a squirt of honey.

medium: orange juice (squeeze part of an orange), fruit flavored vinegar, pomegranate molasses or syrup, a bit of oil, chopped onion.

hard: herbs, onion, garlic, vinegar or lemon juice, oil, plain yogurt

Do you have a farmers market nearby? Maybe you can find some safe produce. At the least you can actually ask the farmer what chemicals they use.

Good luck!