How Many of You Go to Bed Hungry?

Options

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    How about a slice of fat-free smoked turkey breast. Only 20 calories. I just ate one. Good stuff.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Never! Rarely hungry at bedtime. If I am, I eat a snack!!
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I started eating kashi go lean cereal in the evening after dinner but before 7 cause that's my cut off time to eat and it keeps me full until morning. And it's packed with fiber. :tongue:
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat mainly veggies during the day (work means packing lunch) and when I come home, a salad and some meatish thing. I found a fabulous series of yogurt dressings (Bolthouse) that are made with non-fat yogurt and taste creamy. That leaves me, after exercise, with about 300 cals to play with after dinner.

I eat 100 cal increments hourly after dinner, so something like...
    630pm - dinner
    800pm - 1/2 cup no fat frozen yogurt (100 cal)
    900 pm - 2 high fibre cookies (93 cal)
    10 pm - 21g cheddar cheese (the individually wrapped ones from Costco) (90 cal)

I am NOT hungry when I go to bed AND I've had treats too!

If you space out your food, this really works.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Much on some celery, carrots, cucumbers, etc. They will help you feel like you are having "something" but they will easily burn off in your sleep. Celery and cucumbers actually burn more calories through digestion than they are worth when eating them.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes...so I have 1/2 an apple. It helps!
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    I do, but I tell myself there is another meal in the morning. It helps. For me, it's usually just mental, because I use to do a ton of night eating. I'd have a second meal off of dinner left overs. I wasn't even hungry either, I was just board with nothing else to do and I knew we had food. Unless I have a ton of calories left over (which is never), I can make it to morning. I like to avoid the kitchen as much as possible.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I NEVER go to bed hungry. I workout enough so that I have enough calories to spare for a late night snack if I have to have it. Then if I'm jot hungry its just extra calories burned going towards my goal
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to cut back on my late-night snacking, but, because of work and school, kids, etc., I work out at night. After working out I am STARVING. It is almost 11...I just got out of the shower...I am debating if I am *really* hungry, or just snacky-hungry....

FWIW...I am really low on calories consumed today. It just happened that way, so I have the cals to spare...I am just not sure if I want to.
  • spacecase76
    Options
    doubled...weird.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am often hungry at bedtime. If I have the calories, if I am crazy hungry, or if I have to stay up for work (I am a procrastinating editor and student so I work and study into/through the night sometimes) I will have a little something. But ideally I just try to make a cup of tea and wait for breakfast. My sister jokes that she just goes to bed when she is out of calories because it's easier than a 4-hour battle of wills.
  • starlitesue
    Options
    I can't sleep if I'm hungry. Literally can't fall asleep. Sometimes I don't even have to feel hungry, but my body always knows. I make sure there's always an extra 100 calories in my day in case I need them before bed.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know if going to bed hungry is the norm out there? I usually go to bed at 11PM, I eat dinner between 5 and 6pm and by 9 pm, I am hungry. I'm just watching tv, but I know a small snack would take the edge off. Anyone else feel this way, and do you have a light snack when this happens?

You should not be going to bed hungry. If that is happening on a regular basis, you need to re-evaluate your diet. Consider eating 5-6 smaller meals each day instead of the typical 3 meals and snacks. The smaller meals spaced out throughout the day keep your blood sugar stabilized, and since they are spaced out, you will likely eat your last one closer to bed time.
    I am really trying to cut back on my late-night snacking, but, because of work and school, kids, etc., I work out at night. After working out I am STARVING. It is almost 11...I just got out of the shower...I am debating if I am *really* hungry, or just snacky-hungry....

Yikes, are you trying to talk yourself eating after working out??? I sure hope I misread that. Always eat after working out. Every single time, no exceptions.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Never.
    It's best to go to bed earlier to avoid snacking.
  • spacecase76
    Options

Yikes, are you trying to talk yourself eating after working out??? I sure hope I misread that. Always eat after working out. Every single time, no exceptions.

Why? is there science behind this or something that I don't know about?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    it's best not to eat 2-3 hours before bed. why no have a light snack when you feel a bit hungry at 9?
  • jenniferslipec
    Options
    I try not to. If I eat this late at night it spoils breakfast for me....as well as I heard somewhere that your body does not digest that well at night. ....of course...sometimes, I just cannot help it!
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love to grab a 100-calorie popcorn when my day is winding down and I'm getting ready to go to bed. It's plenty of food and keeps me from reaching for some of my roommate's oreos :wink:
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem when I was adjusting to my new calorie intake. Tea helps a lot, or just a piece of fruit before bed. Tea has little to no calories and helps your metabolism too.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    I don't like to go to bed hungry so I always have a light (under 100 calories) snack if i get hungry. Was just reading online that Kelly Osbourne eats half an apple before bed to help her lose weight, not sure if that works lol, but i'm going to try it. :wink:

http://health.msn.co.nz/healthyeating/celebritytrends/1015501/kelly-osbournes-weight-loss-secrets