40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good Morning....from cold NEPA

Stress seems to consume me right now and I'm exercising through it. My BP is not where I want it but I am working my diet into better routines. I think I have a case of the winter blues. I can't get warm.
  • pepper06
    Options
    GOOD MORNING FRIDAY!!!!!
    mk-we were just talking at the gym yesteray how the weather has gotten most people depressed. To add to it people are getting sick(I think we stay in our heated offices/homes and it dries us out becoming more suceptible to germs).

Welcome to all the new ones-QUITE A FEW now-WOW!

Stiring-sounds like the cold really took hold of you:sick:

cb-did you drive yourself to pt the nexxt day? Hope you slept ok

Robin-I think we become nervous in maint when we start gaining alittle-think it is natural that one becomes nervous thinkning it will just keep going.

I did not weigh in this morning-after being bad for the game and a couple of bad incidents this week-didn't bother, but my jeans are still loose this morning, so I can't be too bad shape

I have a new trainer at the gym for 2 of my classes-my oh my-what a workout he gives-FANTASTICLLY sore!:smooched:

On Tues afternoon I will head over to the ER and hopefully they will remove my stitches-fingers crossed.:huh:

Any Valentine plans? My husband and kids are taking me away for the weekend and I have no idea where-they say I will like it, so this should be interesting.

Have a LOVELY WEEKEND!:heart:
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    StiringWendel - Thanks for the reminder about water. You're right, I need to keep it with me. Bad thing about it is that I'm usually home, so there's no excuse!

Tron3002 - I'm impressed with your Nevada workout! Thanks for the water sympathy.

Cathy B - congratulations on your weight loss, and on your blood pressure going down! That's terrific.

MrsFoxtrot5 - You are cracking me up with the bread reports! I love it! Bread used to be hard for me, too, but the worst was potatoes! I could never stay away. Hang in there.

Lady Persia - I'm in PA, too! How's your water intake coming?

IdleJack, welcome!

Kylakesgal, welcome! Consider yourself signed right up. :-)

Alf1163 - I heard great things about Zumba! Once my nutritional issues are resolved, I hope to sign up for a class that they have right in my subdivision.

Kim Kelly - I hope you're feeling better today.

Friday Check In:
    Well, I haven't yet improved my water intake. :frown: I think I get so full, then when I'm not full I want to eat instead of drink. I think I'm going to set a low goal of 2 glasses per day and work up from there.

As you can see in my siggy, I've had weight loss surgery. It's working really well; so well that my body isn't absorbing the amount of protein it needs to for me to stay healthy. :grumble: I'm having some problems with edema. It comes from protein malnutrition, which I'm battling right now. Of course, in my head I'm thinking, "just drink some WATER and it will go away." I'm sure it would help, but it won't solve the problem. I'm carrying around about 7lbs of extra weight from the swelling with me. I refuse to weigh myself until it goes down again, hopefully this week.

I'm still also struggling with getting in enough protein every day. I get in 60 grams easily, but that's only good for "normal" people, not surgically-altered types like me. I need over 100g daily: 120g is good and 180g would be better. To solve my dilemma, I'm on the quest for a better protein shake! Drinking 60-90g of protein per day will help me a lot; I won't then feel like I have to stuff my small, new tummy with a ton of food and feel miserable.

Have a great weekend, everyone! If you're celebrating Valentine's Day, enjoy!
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi 40+,

So happy to have joined this group. I am doing well today. Have had ups and downs this week. It seems like I swing from one side to the other. But had a deep tissue massage today on my bad area and I feel much better. I am actually going to go on a Friday Night Date Night with my hubby. He will be so thrilled.

I hope everyone is getting ready for Valentines day. I will have you know that I informed my husband yesterday that there will be no candy for V day. This year it is fruit of love.. Pears.. Love Pears…

Sing: Have a great weekend with your Grandson. We have our first Granddaughter 3 months old now. I cant wait until she can play..

LadyPersia: Exercise and deep breaths are the best thing for stress, my personal experience. Be sure you don’t let it overtake you. I had an extremely stressful job and I realize now how stressed I was. Find time to do something fun for you. Its only a thing..

Pepper: Yes I did drive to PT, but it is only 2 miles from my house. But I did sleep very good and felt much better the next morning. And the PT mainly did stretching and massaging the knots.. So it was all good the next day. Thanks..

Victorious_One: I did not realize you were gong through post surgical problems.. Please stay on top of that because last year my sister who had surgery about 5 years ago got real sick. Come to find out she had malnutrition, even though she was overweight. Shocking, so please stay on it. She was very sick, hair falling out and everything.. Best wishes for you and Bless you…….

Hugs to you all.. Have a great weekend and eat healthy..
  • altushe
    altushe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Been a particularly busy week for me between work and my husband being out of town all week (still not back), I've been doing double duty on school for more daughter - bringing and picking up - in addition to my already horrendous commute. It has been fun having just a girl's week though…

Still cold here but no snow so not quite as bad as it had been.

Still having a hard time with maintenance although I understand from many that I am not alone in this experience. Guess it just takes time. Despite the anxiety of last week's weigh-in, I did not alter exercise or eating and am anxious to see what the scale says on Sunday. My eating continues to be good and even though my husband was gone all week, I managed to get to the gym everyday as usual - thanks to a very supportive and understanding 11 year old! There would again be no reason for me to have gained, but that's been the case for the past 3 weeks so we'll see. I just want the comfort of finding the right combination of calories/exercise to maintain (vs. gain or lose) although as many of you have suggested, maybe I need a "happy" range. More to come on Sunday.

Welcome to all the new members. I am fairly new too and look forward to sharing and benefiting from this group everyday! Thanks to all who have been trying to help me get over this hump…hoping I get there soon!!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well I found out why I am having such a hard time getting online... My computer has a virus! Uggg! Hopefully it was fixed...
    I will try to catch up with all of you later.
  • mrsfoxtrot5
    mrsfoxtrot5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends.

A windy and bright Saturday morning here in Romania. Was exhausted yesterday but think that is because I hadn't eaten enough on Wednesday and Thursday. I therefore had a big day tomorrow and went over my calories by about 100 but it seemed to work as I think I've lost again - I know we are only supposed to weigh once a week but I'm so scared of putting on that I feel the need to check everyday.

My also 40plus husband has also managed to loose this week despite the neck injury, so we are both pleased. A couple of pounds closer to a new camera (for my husband if he looses 30 pounds) and an Ipad for me (if I loose 40 pounds).

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Mrs Foxtrot
  • tron3002
    Options
    How can my husband be so smart and so stupid all at the same time. I think things just come too easily to him and he thinks that it comes that easily to everyone else they just aren't putting in the effort like he does. I mean after all if he can do it.......He decided he wanted to loose a little bit of weight so he cut out soda and started taking the stairs at work. The first morning he comes up to me and brags, I lost a half a pound. The second morning (today) he says in a "ha" voice, I lost 2 lbs, maybe even 2 and a half. Well ya know it doesn't work that way for everyone. I stopped drinking soda all together. Didn't replace it with juice like he did and started walking on my treadmill and didn't loose jack crap. I told him that he makes it even more difficult when I spend every Monday and Tuesday (sometimes Sunday too) with him working on rentals and he either starves me til 9-10pm or buys doughnuts then proceeds to tell me we ARE getting a hamburger for dinner. He thinks he's god I swear! And do you know what his response was???? Well that doesn't matter alls that matters is how many calories you are taking in not what you eat! Really????
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Tron, continue doing what you are doing for yourself, not for anyone else including your husband. I know it is hard to ignore the comments but just think about yourself. If you need to, just remind him that you are not competing with him...keep you head up high!! :flowerforyou:

mrsfoxtrot, congrats on your weight loss, keep up the good work!!!! :drinker: An IPad, that is a great reward. I told my husband I would like to have one but he said I already have a laptop...:laugh: :tongue: He is right, I really dont need another electronic device...at least not for now. :wink:

altushe, hang in there. You are doing a great job!!!!! I have been wanting to weigh myself but I am really afraid to see the numbers now. I know I have gained, I see it, I feel it...maybe I should cause it might be the incentive I need to crack the whip some...I have let go, succumbed to too many goodies (actually baddies) lately... :grumble: :noway: I might weigh in on Friday morning.

Cbaker, a deep tissue massage, never had one. It sounds sooooo good right now. I've heard they are kinda painful...in a good way...I'm also a Grandma!!! My granddaughter is 2 yrs old. She will be 3 in July. She is a handful but so much fun to be around. We are actually spending time with her tomorrow. :drinker: I have not seen her for about 3 wks. She was with her dad. Congrats on eating healthy around Valentine's. I am a sucker for candy, cookies, chocolate...not good time for me. :grumble: I've lost my willpower lately...

Ok guys, eating wise, not so good for me, I need a challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am soooooo upset at not doing any lifting lately. Gotta start something soon...:noway: I need an intervention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watching the Grammys!!!! Anyone else?

Good night!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It's now 2:45 am and I have begun my permanent night shift schedule.. I know it's going to take a while to get used to, but I will adapt and conquer this thing! The upside is that I will be eating better and no wine during the week. WhenI get home at 7:30 am, my wife will cook us some oatmeal (with pumpkin and cinnamon). Top it off with almonds & craisins and that's a tasty and healthy breakfast!

The weather is getting milder, so I am planning to do some hiking this week for exercise. I will also hit the kettlebells at home, since I am not going to the gym on this shift. This is no problem, since i have a lot of weights and workout vids.

Tron, don't even waste your breath arguing with your husband on nutrition. Keep doing what you know is best for you. Calories are not just calories. You are doomed if you buy into that approach. Have hubby get his blood checked after all of those hamburgers and donuts. Enough said!!

Alf, it's good to hear from you! I will take you up on your challenge, dear lady!! What's it gonna be? I'm ready!

Stiring, I hope you had a good time in DE. Are you back to exercising yet?

We had our Grandson for the weekend. Our exercising was limited to chasing him around...a lot!!!

Happy Valentines Day to some of my favorite ladies!!! :flowerforyou: We had some champagne yesterday, since i can't drink on work nights. We are exchanging cards today. Our anniversary is next week, so we always do a romantic overnight then. For the past several years we stayed in Gettysburg and had a really great dinner in a 250 year old inn called the Dobbin House.

Have a great day with your sweeties!
  • kbefit
    kbefit Posts: 116
    Options
    Whew! So glad I found you! Kind of fell off the posting wagon. Chicago finally had some of that snow that everyone else has been getting and I just got wrapped up in other things. Very bad habit of mine. When anything changes, my nutrition/fitness is the first to go. I definitely need to break that cycle! We're finally starting the thaw here and just that thought alone makes me want to move! Spent the day swimming yesterday, it felt great. Just seeing the word "spring" in this topic feels great. Have a great week everyone!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

We had a great time in Dover on Friday/Saturday. It was nice being away for a little time and getting the chance to meet new people/see old friends. Dover is much smaller than I thought it would be, but I really liked it. It had a good 'feel' to it.

I'm feeling much better. I even got in a workout yesterday. :drinker: I'm easing back into the workouts slowly until I'm 100% (I still have some congestion) so I'm doing Cathe Friedrich's 4 Day Split series which is a series of 4 workouts, each consisting of 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training (each workout focusing on different body parts). Yesterday I did a kickboxing/leg workout, and it felt good. I haven't decided which one I'm doing today but it will be something with an upper body workout on it.

alf, I'm all up for a challenge!!! I, too, have let my eating get off the rails again since I've been sick. I was doing so well up to that point. So I need something to get me re-focused. Any ideas? Would doing something like 'Eat 100% clean (meaning no sweets, junk food, etc) 5 days a week work'? Give it some thought, but I'm totally up to something that will keep me accountable right now.

tron, I echo the comments you've gotten from others already about your husband's comments. He is going to lose faster/easier because he has more testosterone. That's just that. And as far as eating anything you want within a certain calorie limit, well that only works if he doesn't give a damn about his health. You know what's right and you are doing great. So just keep walking your own path right now.

singfree, sounds like you've got a great plan for handling this night shift. I don't know that I could do that, so my hat's off to you in keeping focused on good food and exercise. Glad you enjoyed your weekend with your grandson! Happy Valentine's Day!!

kbefit, SOOOO good to see you! I thought we'd lost you. Don't worry about the odd distractions as long as you get back on track. That's really the important thing.....getting back on track.

Hope you all have a great day and are able to spend this Valentine's Day with somebody you love. :flowerforyou:
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey, 40+ Club! Happy Valentine's Day to all! :flowerforyou:

I'm still on my nutrition plan. I'm hoping that my nutrition is good enough to get off of it in the next week or so, but at the same time, I'm scared. :frown: I haven't been able to eat 100+ g of protein per day, which is what's required to keep me out of protein malnutrition. I'm trying, but it's hard! That's a lot of food for me. I'll keep at it, and try to find a protein shake that will work for me and help me reach that goal.

This past week, I had to check my blood sugar for the first time. Ouch! It was great both days, thank God. Other than that, I had my first taste of my favorite candy bar since my surgery: Hershey's with Almonds. Yummo! I just realized I forgot/ neglected/ psychologically blocked :laugh: writing it in my food diary, so I'll amend that soon.

I'm on some kind of cleaning spree, like 2-3 hours of fairly intense cleaning. This is WAY out of character for me! :laugh: I've been on it for the past two days. I hope this is a good sign that my energy is returning to me and that I'm on the mend. I have also forgotten to log my exercise hours, so I've added those as well.

Cathy B - Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, we are ON IT! My doctor found my malnutrition right away, because I have blood work done every 3 months. I have a nurse who now draws my blood weekly while I'm on the nutrition program. I will keep y'all posted.

Altushe - I hear that about a 5-7 lb window is good for maintenance. I fluctuate that much in a day it seems! Hang in there, as long as you're on track you'll get settled into your "happy" :bigsmile: place.

MrsFoxtrot - Glad to know that your hubby is on the mend after a neck injury. You and he have some great rewards for weight loss. Those would keep me on track for sure!

Tron - Dudes--they are a mess! :laugh: Girl, don't let your hubby torture you like that! Pack a breakfast/lunch for yourself when you work with him on rentals. Educate him on the finer points of protein vs. carbs. Try not to hate him for dropping weight simply when he thinks about it--he got the luck of the gender draw on that one.

Alf - I hope you weren't too disappointed at the Grammys. I heard they were terrible. And, if you're teaching Zoomba, I think you get a pass for a minute on the lifting, for real! I'm falling out just thinking about a Zoomba class! :tongue:

SingFree - I've been looking for a get-away for my DH & me. I think I'll try the place in Gettysburg you mentioned, maybe in the spring. Cool! My best to you on the night shift--that's a tough one.

Kerry - I lived in Chicago for several years. A great place to live, with terrible weather. Hold out for spring and summer--there will be plenty to do to keep you on program for sure.
  • cef957
    cef957 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello all - It has been awhile (and then I couldn't find the new thread....) . I love the new name!!!! It is supposed to be in the 40's all week here....so some of that snow is going to melt that was dumped on us last week.

My weight and bad eating habits crept in while I was working full time. I gained about 5 pounds....However, today I started c25k! I feel so energized this morning! I am typing this during my cool down.

It was great to "see" everyone and catch up! I am glad all is going well!!

Is anyone in the Houston area on this thread? There is a possible relocation....and I am looking at schools/areas to live. My main two places are The woodlands and Katy as both those school districts offer mandarin at the high school level. Please message me privately so this thread doesn't get taken over with that topic.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Busy day at work today. My patient census has doubled in the last week. Good cause I'm busy and I have to walk up and down stairs and time passes quickly. I lost 1.5 lbs this passed week!! YAY!:happy:

I love reading everyone's posts, it keeps me motivated!
    Thanks!:smile:

Back to work!
  • tron3002
    Options
    The snow started to fall this morning. It didn't stick but it's supposed to snow all week long.

Yesterday I did great! Until my daughter pulled out my favorite, chips and dip. I told everyone in the house that goodies were gonna be banned from our house.

Exercise wise.... I went on the treadmill for an hour and a half. One hour was on the highest incline. The rest was on the lowest but I upped the speed and even jogged for part of the time. Jogging has actually gotten a little easier for me so thats exciting.
    It said I did 6 miles but I go by how many laps I did and it showed 3 3/4 miles. I forgot to wear my HRM so I only added in 450ish calories when it said I burnt well over 600. Gonna go on there again today so I need to get out my HRM and see the true total.

Stiring.... Have you tried a Netty pot? We just bought my husband one because he was starting to not feel well and it has really helped. We bout the battery operated one which was good because he had a blockage which with the pressure that builds up it actually cleared it up.

Alf... Have you noticed a difference sense you haven't been lifting weights? You are so active I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but I wouldn't really know.

Sing... Sorry about the night shift. It sucks, is all I have to say. I understand the money issue because that is what drove my husband to do it for so long but honestly, you never really get used to it.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

I found a great looking gym near my home to work out if I get bored at home. It's open 24/7. I has a TON of great equipment. I met the owner who lives just down the street from me. He certainly practices what he preaches. Really strong and fit, but not a huge muscle-head. I think he could motivate me to succeed.

I hope everyone had a wonderful VD...that didn't sound right, did it?? :embarassed:

I can't believe that it's going to get up to 60 degrees here on Friday! Only for a day or two, but I'll take it.

Julia, I hope you found us. The other thread is not used by us any longer.

Nothing to report at 2 am....have a good night!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I'm doing MUCH better. I was able to get in a high impact step workout followed by 30 minutes of chest/back strength training yesterday. Today I'm planning a short bootcamp cardio workout followed by a tricep/bicep workout and, hopefully, a very short but intense leg workout. I'm getting my energy back after this sinus infection, and it feels great. My eating.....not so great. :embarassed: I'm still up for a challenge.

Victorious_One, sounds like you are getting a handle on your health post-surgery. I've known a couple of people who've had weight loss surgery as well, and, boy, did it change their life (for the better). I know it was completely worth the dietary troubles to them. It sounds like that's the case for you. Good for you in managing it so well. I have no doubt when you solve the protein issue, you'll find more energy as well. What kind of protein shakes have you tried? I really think protein powder is probably the only way you'll be able to get your protein in.

cef, good to see you!!! I didn't think you'd been back in the US very long.....and you're moving again? I know what that is like, and it isn't easy. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who lives in the Houston area. I've been there, but that doesn't help you find a place to live! :tongue: Don't worry about the weight gain while you were back at work. I have no doubt you'll take it off very quickly, especially if you are running.

KimKelly, sorry you are so busy but it is good that it is creating so much activity for you!

tron, sounds like you had a great Sunday workout! It sounds very ambitious. Good for you. I've never tried the Netty pot. In fact, I had never even heard of it until I read something about it here on MFP. I'm not prone to congestion (I don't suffer allergies and such) so I have a tendency to ignore things like that. No doubt, though, I could have benefited from it the past few weeks. At least I'm on my road to recovery now.

singfree, good news on the gym! That would give you so many more options. I know I love working out at home, but it does limit some of the options a bit. Hope it works out for you.

Off to do my workout! :drinker: Enjoy your day everybody. :flowerforyou:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning group! Hope everyone is well.

Sing---hope the change to night shift is getting to be routine--nice to see you have gym options--that's great!

CEF--you are moving?? Wow---good luck! And glad you are back on track and checking in.

Tron--so glad you are back on track!!

Hope everyone had a nice Valentines Day. We didn't plan anything special here--we usually at least attempt to but this year after spending 3 hours making Valentines with my son (totally painful experience), we seemed to have forgotten to plan anything for us. And now that my hubby is on week 3 of eating well I didn't want to make zillions of chocolate treats to trip him up.

Anyway, business as usual for me--still motivated w/exercise and feel like I'm getting a little more toned with my more balanced exercise routine. Eating is fine--still evaluating calorie level and after this week may go up slightly to see if I can maintain at a higher level. I'm crossing my fingers, although I'm not sure I need to eat more--it just might be nice to not always have to worry about tiny serving sizes when I eat granola and sunflower seeds and stuff like that....it really is limiting right now.

have a great day everyone!