Your views on free weekends or free days?

Options
2»

Replies

• VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The problem with free weekends is that those bad foods can be addictive which derails you later on. Think about it. After you have eaten salty or fatty foods, don't you want more of the them? That came home to me a few months ago. I had almost eliminated simple carbs from my diet and reduced fats significantly. A co-worker had resigned and we gave her a going away party at a local club. I decided to splurge and get their version of raw fries which included lots of salt, crumbled blue cheese and dip (it was soooo good). Problem was that I found myself craving the salt and fat for days after. Same thing happend a couple months ago during a trip. I was hungry and went to Mc'Donalds. Got medium fries and the new fruit drink. Both tasted great, but I craved salt for a couple of days after (not the fruit). I think splurging is ok, but every weekend might not work so well. Maybe only one meal on the weekend or once a month like others have said. Once you really gave up all the sugar, salt, and fat real food tastes a lot better and you won't want the bad stuff as much.
  • jamielr84
    Options
    I say if it works for you and you are still losing weight.....then you are really lucky! If I have a "free day" it always shows on scale!:grumble:
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The "I've been good, I deserve a day off" mentality is what has derailed me in the past. At this point "free days" or "cheat days" (I'm not sure I see what the difference is) are really dangerous for me, and throw me into a binge cycle. Since joining MFP, my strategy has been to be truthful with myself about what I'm eating, and not to cut things out, just cut down on the volume and log, log, log.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The problem with free weekends is that those bad foods can be addictive which derails you later on. Think about it. After you have eaten salty or fatty foods, don't you want more of the them? That came home to me a few months ago. I had almost eliminated simple carbs from my diet and reduced fats significantly. A co-worker had resigned and we gave her a going away party at a local club. I decided to splurge and get their version of raw fries which included lots of salt, crumbled blue cheese and dip (it was soooo good). Problem was that I found myself craving the salt and fat for days after. Same thing happend a couple months ago during a trip. I was hungry and went to Mc'Donalds. Got medium fries and the new fruit drink. Both tasted great, but I craved salt for a couple of days after (not the fruit). I think splurging is ok, but every weekend might not work so well. Maybe only one meal on the weekend or once a month like others have said. Once you really gave up all the sugar, salt, and fat real food tastes a lot better and you won't want the bad stuff as much.

I can see that. I am luck that it has the reverse effect on me. Eating bad food on a free day makes me feel like crap the next day. I wake up dehydrated or feeling like I have to poop in my pants. I begin to associate the bad food with feeling bad and as the weeks progress, I generally eat less of those bad foods even on my free days. Eating a thing of french fries or some pizza and then waking up at 2 in the morning dehydrated checks me back into reality.

I hope to one day get to the point where I will let myself eat a gyro midweek and consider it a good day if I am on point with my calories. The problem for me has always been that if I eat something "not healthy" during the week, I feel like I have failed and I want to give up on things. At least if I build a day in for stupid food, I am in control of it.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I give myself one cheat day a week, mainly for sanity purposes. It usually involves going out to eat with friends and not worrying too much about calories. Athough, I do make sure I get a really good workout in that day and drink a lot of water. I think your metabolism could use a boost once in a while so it doesn't get too used to only burning X-amount of calories every day. Plus, the bonus is that going out and seeing everyone at a restaurant gorging themselves makes me realize how gross it is and how healthy I want to be!
  • miss_emma_joey
    Options
    I have cheat days on Sundays, but I still work out. I have mac and cheese and pizza mmmm! Just don't binge ridiculously!
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I give myself one cheat day a week, mainly for sanity purposes. It usually involves going out to eat with friends and not worrying too much about calories. Athough, I do make sure I get a really good workout in that day and drink a lot of water. I think your metabolism could use a boost once in a while so it doesn't get too used to only burning X-amount of calories every day. Plus, the bonus is that going out and seeing everyone at a restaurant gorging themselves makes me realize how gross it is and how healthy I want to be!

That was my belief, too. I figured it was healthy to give myself a bunch of fat calories and what not to burn through so my metabolism doesn't get used to always eating low. That was the response or a response contrary to that is what I had been hoping for the whole time.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation whenever rather than waiting for one day. I log it, am mindful of my calories for the day and this approach is working really well for me. I'd say 80% of the time I eat pretty healthy with 20% things that folks would say isn't good for me. My issue has always been quantity so as long as I only eat 2 cookies instead of an entire bag, I've made a change for the better that I can maintain and live with forever.

Also, I plan ahead for those "big days"-Super Bowl, Christmas, Thanksgiving, anniversaries and birthdays. I get a super big workout in that day and the day before (sometimes the day after too!) so I have the calorie room.

This. I'm horrible at "dieting" I, quite simply, don't have the will power to do it (and before anybody starts with mind over matter and I could have the will power if I wanted & blah blah blah- I know that). I have no intention of depriving myself for the rest of my life. I'm re-teaching myself to make healthier choices not for the short term goal of losing weight but for the long term goal of being healthy. I haven't given up eating out or pizza or ice cream. Now I just have 1 serving of ice cream instead of 1 bowl that contains about 700 calories.
  • capnananda
    capnananda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as a whole day but for sure indulge myself with a MEAL everyonce in a while.
  • JeanMargaret
    Options
    Any kind of "free" always ends in ruin for me. Today's a perfect example. So, I'm working on ridding my vocabulary of free days, free meals. Not necessary. This isn't a game in which you get a "free meal" or "get out of calorie counting". It's life. I've got to learn to eat sensibly ALL the time.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think a free meal or a free day is a good idea- I actually lose MORE weight if I give in a little that if I'm too strict on my diet. I think that's because your body gets used to eating fewer calories, then it eventually slows down the weight loss. Whereas, if you "surprise" your body once in a while, it never knows what to expect from you, and you can lose more (as long as your free days aren't TOTALLY out of control!)
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I think a free meal or a free day is a good idea- I actually lose MORE weight if I give in a little that if I'm too strict on my diet. I think that's because your body gets used to eating fewer calories, then it eventually slows down the weight loss. Whereas, if you "surprise" your body once in a while, it never knows what to expect from you, and you can lose more (as long as your free days aren't TOTALLY out of control!)

YES YES!!! THIS IS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!!!

I was explaining it to a coworker who didnt really seem to see what I was saying. I told her that I can eat whatever I want 1 day a week. On that day it is an indulgence for my body and my mind. I have to worry every day about making the right food decisions working out, etc. If I don't think about it on one day, allow myself a bit of downtime, then I am reenergized for the upcoming week. I also see HUGE weight reduction when I do this. I started at 197, before logging my calories. I got down to 177 before Christmas doing exactly what I said...eating clean all week and then giving myself some freedom on the weekends and any actual special occasion...not fake occasions. I stopped during the holidays because of everything that was around and I just started up again a week ago. When I do this, I tend to see about 2lbs a week come off.

It works even better for me because I know my Monday weight is a sham, so I don't let it bother me. I am 177 right now, I could be 180 by Monday, but it is all poop and salt. By next Friday or Saturday I will see my weight drop like 5 to 6 lbs and I will know that the last two pounds are the ones to count. I feel like my body is more willing to work with me when I give it a rest.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options

I can see that. I am luck that it has the reverse effect on me. Eating bad food on a free day makes me feel like crap the next day. I wake up dehydrated or feeling like I have to poop in my pants. I begin to associate the bad food with feeling bad and as the weeks progress, I generally eat less of those bad foods even on my free days. Eating a thing of french fries or some pizza and then waking up at 2 in the morning dehydrated checks me back into reality.

I hope to one day get to the point where I will let myself eat a gyro midweek and consider it a good day if I am on point with my calories. The problem for me has always been that if I eat something "not healthy" during the week, I feel like I have failed and I want to give up on things. At least if I build a day in for stupid food, I am in control of it.

I guess the real issue is how you feel about making a decision to eat something you don't think is on your plan. In that case, I say don't feel guilty; but, be sure to consider whether you really want that food. That way you can know that you made a decision to eat something and did not do it out of habit, boredome, or because it was a free day. Having something you enjoy should not make you feel like a failure. I don't really consider good vegie pizza, a gyro, or a burger made from lean sirloin as bad food. I don't eat it everyday because it is high in calories, but all can be very nutritious (especially paired with fresh vegies). Portion control is also important.

Fast food, deep fried and salty foods also make me feel like crap; but for some reason the more I eat of it the more I want. Go figure.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options
    Any kind of "free" always ends in ruin for me. Today's a perfect example. So, I'm working on ridding my vocabulary of free days, free meals. Not necessary. This isn't a game in which you get a "free meal" or "get out of calorie counting". It's life. I've got to learn to eat sensibly ALL the time.
    [/quote

I agree. The whole reason I am using MFP is to change my relationship with food. I don't want it to be a reward or something that makes me feel better after a bad day. I want it to make me healthy and strong. I think I am getting closer to that goal. In the past, after losing some weight, I would reward myself with food. Not anymore, my reward is that all those clothes in the back of the closet fit better and my family and friends are noticing. That's what feels good, not the eating food.