I GIVE UP!!! – Should You?

Options
_Bro
_Bro Posts: 437 Member
Giving up has been a healthy decision for me!

1A.jpg

What did I give up on? I gave up on my overly restrictive diet and myopic focus on weight loss.
Why - due to failure?
Not Exactly – I lost 65+ pounds and achieved a low body fat %.

2.jpg

What was the problem?
-I looked like a skinny rat.
-My diet was not sustainable.
-Failure was imminent? My new lower weight provided me with a lower metabolism due to fat and muscle loss.
Without the support of lean muscle, minor easing of my diet resulted in the pounds returning. My diet was a trap!

So, I gave up on my OVERLY RESTRICTIVE DIET and focused on healthy choices:

1) Small calorie reduction
2) Eating back my calories when I felt like it.
3) Low fat protein, low glycemic carbs, Fruit in moderation, health fats, etc
4) I modified my exercise to include weights – not just cardio. High intensity interval training worked for cardio, why not weights? P90-X? Sure it fit into the principle that I was already following. Hello pull up bar, I will “own you” – one day?
5) And yes, I cheated -- Not for a whole day but for a meal, or two

..And so on.

In general, I did things in moderation -- including the changes above!

I didn’t want results overnight because I had already learned that they were just a long road to failure!
The pounds started to come off again but not as rapidly.
Some days my weight went up other days it went down.

No worries, I still stepped on the scale. I did my best to not focus on the changes and I gave it time. That’s not to say I didn’t give it plenty of effort... I pushed myself every day to eat better and workout with just a little more intensity.

And I feel great!
IMG_5772.jpg

Do I still play around with making restrictions to my daily nutrition and leave some calories on the “table”? Sure. In fact, I am cycling my calories, fat, protein, and carbs around a bit to see how my body reacts.
However, for the time being I’m not imprisoned by a diet, treadmill, or elliptical machine.

Final thoughts:

1) Goals: Losing weight was the wrong goal for me -- Who really cares about what you weigh it’s how you look and feel. Right?

2) Exercise: Doing the same exercise is exhausting physically, mentally, and I think results bear that out over time – interval intensity, variety, and as P90-X would term “muscle confusion” are good things – mentally and physically.

3) Deficits: You lose weight by having a caloric deficit. This deficit is much more sustainable when you create it with exercise in addition to nutrition – don’t use diet alone!

4) Time: Gradual changes provide your body and mind time to adapt to a healthier lifestyle. Do it all at once and you’ll probably go back just as quickly.

5) Recovery: Counting sheep is an important exercise. Sleep is important for all kinds of reasons! You can fuel your body for optimal weight loss and do everything right. However, if you keep the pedal down the whole time you are more likely to burn out your motor

6) Failure is imminent when you accept a setback as being more than a temporary state. I have gained fat back, hit a plateau(s), need to take break(s), have been unable to exercise (insert reason here) and so on.. Don’t focus in on the “failure”. Some form of regression usually occurs anytime you make progress.

End of Rant
:smile:

Replies

• patrickobrien01
    Options
    Congrats!!!

Patrick
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Damn. Just damn. Amazing job! And a great message.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Congrats. You did it right. I'm on the same course.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Congrats on you achievements!
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Excellent post. Amazing body! It sounds like you really have it figured out. I love that! AWESOME!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    HOT!

Well done, grunt.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Great post! You look awesome!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Well, you look like eyecandy. Congrats!
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Your words are so inspiring. Your body is just...well...delicious. There is just no other way to put it.

Congrats on all your hard work!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Pic #3 = Bow chica WOW WOW! I could bounce a quarter off those abs of yours! ;) You look GREAT!

Thanks for posting this.....excellent message for others......and fantastic that you are leading by example. ;)

Way to GO! Congrats on your success!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Great post, very inspiring and uplifting!!

COngratulations on your journey to success!
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Rock on, man!
    Not only have you figured out what works for you, but it sounds like you've got a fantastic attitude. :)
    Your progress is apparent not only in your physique, but in your words!

Congrats and keep taking care of yourself.

:)
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    God damn! ;)
  • _Bro
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words..
    We can all reach our personal goals as long as we give ourselves enough time and don't give in to giving up :)

What you weigh really doesn't mean anything -- In fact, I weight the same amount in my "skinny" pic as I do now.

Good luck everyone... This is a great site - I wished that I would have found out about this earlier. It could have saved me plenty of wasted effort and yummy calories that I didn't eat b/c of my stupid diet. :sick:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Well said, thanks for sharringn needed to hear that if you dont feel like eating exercise calories everything will be fine.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • _Bro
    Options
    Well said, thanks for sharringn needed to hear that if you dont feel like eating exercise calories everything will be fine.

Exercising in the am makes it easier.. I really believe that a slight deficit is the way to go so that ypu minimize the loss of lean muscle mass.
    In the beginning I made the mistake of not eating enough :(
    Diet alone is not the way to lose weight...

And AB workouts can be a big waste of time
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Um, wow... I have no words. You look incredible!

Congrats - and I WILL be coming to you for advice on toning, once I can do real push-ups...
  • _Bro
    Options
    Um, wow... I have no words. You look incredible!

Congrats - and I WILL be coming to you for advice on toning, once I can do real push-ups...

Thanks Mia - one day at a time .. I don't have all the answers but I've made quite a few mistakes ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!