Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
2»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I read once that by doing a short (10 minute) warm up that you decrease your risk of injury as it helps increase synovial fluid into your joints. Is this true????

I work out really early in the morning and I am barely awake. I need the 10 minute walk and some stretching before I hit the weight machines.

D

It appears like it does. Plus it increases the actual temperature of the tissues which helps on a number of levels.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I just read the following article, which says strength training firsts maximizes the fat burning benefit of your cardio exercises. I read sometihng else about it a couple of months ago and made the switch.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/6-secrets-get-more-burn-less-time
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I just read the following article, which says strength training firsts maximizes the fat burning benefit of your cardio exercises. I read sometihng else about it a couple of months ago and made the switch.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/healthieryou/6-secrets-get-more-burn-less-time

Probably not. I didn't read the article but I'm assuming they're suggesting that weight training uses up glycogen leaving fat as the primary fuel substrate to be burned while doing cardio after. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

If that is in fact what they're saying, the article is rubbish, which is often the case on yahoo.

Fuel substrate use matters little relative to fat loss. Heck, the greatest percentage of fat is burned at low intensities of activity, so following that logic, why not sit your way to fat loss? :p
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Fuel substrate use matters little relative to fat loss. Heck, the greatest percentage of fat is burned at low intensities of activity, so following that logic, why not sit your way to fat loss? :p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :drinker:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options

Oh man, if only. *sigh*

Basically, the article was just citing info from a study done in Tokyo where the people who lifted first burned 10% more fat during the cardio session than the people who did cardio alone. I take most things I read on the internet with a grain of salt, but since I read it in two different articles (I think the other was in Women's Health) I figured why not.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Oh man, if only. *sigh*

Basically, the article was just citing info from a study done in Tokyo where the people who lifted first burned 10% more fat during the cardio session than the people who did cardio alone. I take most things I read on the internet with a grain of salt, but since I read it in two different articles (I think the other was in Women's Health) I figured why not.

A literature review published in 2009 pointed out the weak link in a lot of these studies. The main problem is that they look only at what happens during the exercise workout itself and not what happens the rest of the day.

There are a number of things you can do --both right before a workout and as a result of longer-term training adaptations--to increase the amount of fat burned during a workout. That has been shown numerous times.

However when you look at 24 fat oxidation (which is really what counts, not what happens in a 45 min workout), the research reported that there was no difference in total fat oxidation between those who burned more fat during their exercise workout and those who burned less. In essence, in response to what occurred during the workout, the body burned more or less fat throughout the day, so that after 24 hrs, total fat oxidation and percentage of fat burned as a fuel showed no significant difference.

That has led me to become very skeptical about any study that shows any acute change during exercise and then tries to generalize those results to a long-term permanent effect.

Back to your original citation: There are also studies that show a greater elevated post oxygen consumption (EPOC) in subjects who do cardio first followed by resistance training. So, it's like which do you want -- more fat burned during the workout or more calories burned AFTER the workout?

That's meant to be rhetorical. For the record, I wouldn't pay any attention to either result--especially since those small changes mean almost nothing to the average exerciser/dieter.
  • triannataylor
    Options
    My trainer has me do a five-minute warm-up on the elliptical then we go into weights. We basically jump around for the whole hour between weights and cardio... and I generally sweat like a typhoon throughout the whole thing... when you're big it feels like EVERYTHING is cardio!! So far it's been working for me : )
  • stroutman81
    Options
    A literature review published in 2009 pointed out the weak link in a lot of these studies. The main problem is that they look only at what happens during the exercise workout itself and not what happens the rest of the day.

There are a number of things you can do --both right before a workout and as a result of longer-term training adaptations--to increase the amount of fat burned during a workout. That has been shown numerous times.

However when you look at 24 fat oxidation (which is really what counts, not what happens in a 45 min workout), the research reported that there was no difference in total fat oxidation between those who burned more fat during their exercise workout and those who burned less. In essence, in response to what occurred during the workout, the body burned more or less fat throughout the day, so that after 24 hrs, total fat oxidation and percentage of fat burned as a fuel showed no significant difference.

That has led me to become very skeptical about any study that shows any acute change during exercise and then tries to generalize those results to a long-term permanent effect.

Back to your original citation: There are also studies that show a greater elevated post oxygen consumption (EPOC) in subjects who do cardio first followed by resistance training. So, it's like which do you want -- more fat burned during the workout or more calories burned AFTER the workout?

That's meant to be rhetorical. For the record, I wouldn't pay any attention to either result--especially since those small changes mean almost nothing to the average exerciser/dieter.

Refreshingly well said.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I follow a 15 min, 30 min,15 min schedule. cardio, strength train, cardio.

I find breaking up my cardio in 15 minute increments allows me to burn more calories during my strength training period.

If I strength train longer I still break my cardio up in 15 min increments.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Please? Can I really?

I should be skinny by now! :bigsmile:
  • karl1744
    Options
    Does it make any difference whether you do cardio or strength training first? One trainer said that I should do strength training first so I wasn't as tired and could give more effort. Another trainer said that I should do cardio first so that my muscles were warmed up and could give better performance. Does it make a difference?

Strenght Training first always then cardio
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I find breaking up my cardio in 15 minute increments allows me to burn more calories during my strength training period.

Oh I forgot to mention that I burn calories more this way then doing all my cardio 1st or doing all my strength training first. I don't know why. I just do. I wear a HRM when working out.
  • karl1744
    Options

Oh I forgot to mention that I burn calories more this way then doing all my cardio 1st or doing all my strength training first. I don't know why. I just do. I wear a HRM when working out.

Hay Desirai,
    Its a common problem with people who train and want to lose weight because they are so fixed on the cal they burn, but what they forget is it isnt till you get out of the gym and start eating and fueling back up,that is were the real magic begins.
    When people cardio they should really be doing it to fat burn not Calorie burn, big difference. I will only over do cardio first thing in the morning before breaky thats (fat burning) as soon as you eat that day and then do cardio its only calorie burning, and if your going to do that is better staying longer and working harder on the weights as it is proven to burn more fat then cardio. to put it into a way people will understand clearly, your body doesnt even get warmed up till at least 10-15min depending on fitness level so really doing 15min then weights then 15 min again isnt doing much at all, you would be better doing 45min-1hr cardio in the morning then weights in afternoon evening if you can...... We did a project for the british institute of sport on this subject and for a 45min workout with weights, to get the same results in FAT burning only you would have to do 3hr and 21mins of cardio..... unreal isnt it. I hope this helps
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

Please? Can I really?

I should be skinny by now! :bigsmile:

Whether low intensity cardio or high intensity cardio the difference in percent fat used as fuel is negligible. High intensity just burns more calories in the same period of time.

http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/fat-burning_zone_myth.asp
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I do it the way our gym has the classes scheduled, which is strength training first, then cardio.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If i could still go for run after a legs weights session then i clearly didn't work hard enough. Lol.
    :happy:

If i can walk up the basement stairs I obviously did not not accomplish my goal. And that should be from one set leg curls, one set leg extensions, and one set leg press(can't do squats with my back issues). I should be crawling up. If washing my hair the next day is easy to get my arms up their, I did not work to required intensity on one set barbell curl and one set tricep-extension. If I can lift anything over my head I did not do my military press with enough intensity. If I can only function within me cubicle(typeing lifting a pen, etc) then I did it right last night.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Refreshingly well said.

BTW, the citation is:

Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2009 April ; 37(2): 93–101. doi:10.1097/JES.0b013e31819c2f0b.

Exercise improves fat metabolism in muscle but does not
    increase 24-h fat oxidation

Edward L Melanson, Ph.D.1,2, Paul S. MacLean, Ph.D.1,2, and James O. Hill, Ph.D.2,3
    1Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver, School of
    Medicine, Denver, CO
    2Center for Human Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, CO
    3Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition University of Colorado Denver, School of
    Medicine, Denver, CO

Abstract
    Despite decades of research into the effects of exercise on fat metabolism, there is still no clear
    understanding of how exercise helps to regulate fat mass. Although exercise improves the capacity
    of muscle to oxidize fat, our studies suggest that moderate duration exercise (≤ 1 hr) has little
    impact on 24-h fat oxidation.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Strenght Training first always then cardio

One thing I've learned is there are no absolutes when it comes to fitness. Except the fact that there are absolutely no absolutes.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    BTW, the citation is:

Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2009 April ; 37(2): 93–101. doi:10.1097/JES.0b013e31819c2f0b.

Exercise improves fat metabolism in muscle but does not
    increase 24-h fat oxidation

Edward L Melanson, Ph.D.1,2, Paul S. MacLean, Ph.D.1,2, and James O. Hill, Ph.D.2,3
    1Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver, School of
    Medicine, Denver, CO
    2Center for Human Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine, Denver, CO
    3Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition University of Colorado Denver, School of
    Medicine, Denver, CO

Abstract
    Despite decades of research into the effects of exercise on fat metabolism, there is still no clear
    understanding of how exercise helps to regulate fat mass. Although exercise improves the capacity
    of muscle to oxidize fat, our studies suggest that moderate duration exercise (≤ 1 hr) has little
    impact on 24-h fat oxidation.

I've the full paper and have referenced it a number of times. Thanks.

Here's another interesting meta review regarding EPOC:

LaForgia J et. al. Effects of exercise intensity and duration on the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. J Sports Sci. 2006 Dec;24(12):1247-64.

Recovery from a bout of exercise is associated with an elevation in metabolism referred to as the excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). A number of investigators in the first half of the last century reported prolonged EPOC durations and that the EPOC was a major component of the thermic effect of activity. It was therefore thought that the EPOC was a major contributor to total daily energy expenditure and hence the maintenance of body mass. Investigations conducted over the last two or three decades have improved the experimental protocols used in the pioneering studies and therefore have more accurately characterized the EPOC. Evidence has accumulated to suggest an exponential relationship between exercise intensity and the magnitude of the EPOC for specific exercise durations. Furthermore, work at exercise intensities >or=50-60% VO2max stimulate a linear increase in EPOC as exercise duration increases. The existence of these relationships with resistance exercise at this stage remains unclear because of the limited number of studies and problems with quantification of work intensity for this type of exercise. Although the more recent studies do not support the extended EPOC durations reported by some of the pioneering investigators, it is now apparent that a prolonged EPOC (3-24 h) may result from an appropriate exercise stimulus (submaximal: >or=50 min at >or=70% VO2max; supramaximal: >or=6 min at >or=105% VO2max). However, even those studies incorporating exercise stimuli resulting in prolonged EPOC durations have identified that the EPOC comprises only 6-15% of the net total oxygen cost of the exercise. But this figure may need to be increased when studies utilizing intermittent work bouts are designed to allow the determination of rest interval EPOCs, which should logically contribute to the EPOC determined following the cessation of the last work bout. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, the earlier research optimism regarding an important role for the EPOC in weight loss is generally unfounded. This is further reinforced by acknowledging that the exercise stimuli required to promote a prolonged EPOC are unlikely to be tolerated by non-athletic individuals. The role of exercise in the maintenance of body mass is therefore predominantly mediated via the cumulative effect of the energy expenditure during the actual exercise.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    Wow. What an overload of information. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Normally, I like to go into things with all the knowledge I can, but it seems as one digs deeper into this it just gets more confusing. So many contradicing ideas.

Nonetheless, thanks to Stroutman and Azdak for dispelling the myths.