World's Fastest Workout?

Options
13»

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Tabata workouts are great. You don't have to use those particular exercises to get the benefits, so if you can't do burpees or push ups, sub air squats, or jump rope or anything really. The point is to work hard for the whole 20 seconds and rest for ten. 8 rounds of this will give you a great workout as long as you're pushing it.

My understanding is to treat them like HIIT workouts in the sense that you shouldn't do them 2 days in a row? Is this correct, how often do you do them?
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Tabata workouts are great. You don't have to use those particular exercises to get the benefits, so if you can't do burpees or push ups, sub air squats, or jump rope or anything really. The point is to work hard for the whole 20 seconds and rest for ten. 8 rounds of this will give you a great workout as long as you're pushing it.

My understanding is to treat them like HIIT workouts in the sense that you shouldn't do them 2 days in a row? Is this correct, how often do you do them?

I go to a Crossfit gym, so I just do them when they come up there. It's sporadic. I wouldn't do them everyday. For one thing you want to vary your workouts. For another thing, they're freaking hard!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

I go to a Crossfit gym, so I just do them when they come up there. It's sporadic. I wouldn't do them everyday. For one thing you want to vary your workouts. For another thing, they're freaking hard!

LOL Thanks! I figured as so...I do Turbo Fire, Piloxing, Zumba and heavy strength training so I get variety but I'm always looking to try something new :) I may slip in some tabata here and there and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response!!
  • rinaposzata
    Options
    Here's a great online tabata clock you can use during this type of workout.

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
    Hey, this thing is cool and would really come in handy ! Thanks :D
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Looks like 30 Day Shred on Speed. LOL Tough stuff I agree. The first time I watched 30 Day Shred I thought 20 minutes shoot I can do that. But its intense.
  • ceebs9
    Options
    Here's a great online tabata clock you can use during this type of workout.

http://www.beach-fitness.com/tabata/
    Hey, this thing is cool and would really come in handy ! Thanks :D

You're very welcome. :smile: It helped me a lot when I was living in Ireland and trying to Crossfit on my own. It's so much easier than looking at your watch constantly.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Tabata is awesome. I use it regularly...

most commonly on the concept 2 rowng machine. usually do 3 sets :tongue:
    Thats quite often my morning cardio. After the 3rd set (2 minutes rest in between sets), im sometimes all sorts of F***ed up! :noway:

Sometimes also do it to mix up for weight trainging. Have been known to do it with a 15kg BB for overhead shoulder press - this is extremely hard!!!!

And quite often to finish of squat session also...that one will make you pass out.

Quite easily one of the best methond to improve metabolic condition
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Well it certainly did not keep my metabolism up. I went to my daughters honors assembly and guess what 1.2 caloreis burned a minute while sitting. Even more surprising, my overnight calorie burn was less than it had been for a week. I logged in at 0.9 calories per minute for most of the night instead of 10-15 minutes at various spots during the night. Overall last night from 12-6 I burned 398 calories, I usually burn around 420. So maybe it's a fluke of maybe after the 4 minute workout, my body needed a little extra recovery. The 27 calories I burned in 4 minutes were earned back overnight.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Looking forward to having a crack at this.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Dobsaya, thanks for doing the experiment!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Well it certainly did not keep my metabolism up. I went to my daughters honors assembly and guess what 1.2 caloreis burned a minute while sitting. Even more surprising, my overnight calorie burn was less than it had been for a week. I logged in at 0.9 calories per minute for most of the night instead of 10-15 minutes at various spots during the night. Overall last night from 12-6 I burned 398 calories, I usually burn around 420. So maybe it's a fluke of maybe after the 4 minute workout, my body needed a little extra recovery. The 27 calories I burned in 4 minutes were earned back overnight.

Thank you! I was wondering how this would turn out. Just as I suspected, too.
    I wonder if it has to be done repeatedly to maybe rev the metabolism? Eh, don't test it. lol You already confirmed what I thought would happen after just one round.
    Thanks!! :)
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Had a different trainer today at boxing and the fillin put me through a brutal session like that except it was legs and abs (due to my injured arm).

8 sets of 8 reps with no rest, legs then abs, legs then abs, etc................. for half an hour. I was sweating buckets and sucking air in through my fingertips!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • rinaposzata
    Options
    Someone earlier asked how we'd post this in our exercise log, I was wondering that too. Should we imput it manually or is there something else we can call this ?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    just post it manually. easier.

Guys with tabata, teh idea is to work as HARD as is physically possible. Go freaking crazy.

Squats is better for this than pushups. pushups are "too easy" for it, lol. With squats you'll be working more muscles. to make more intense, do jump squats.
    Dont do burpees...you'll only do what between 4 and 8? depending on person.
    Squats, if going hard, i can knock out 15-16 every 20 seconds.
    Same with the rower, i try and go mental!!! atleast 15 rows each 20 seconds...or i dont feel im working hard enough.
    I do 3 sest to make sure i've done plenty!

Try doing 3 or more sets, then testing the metabolic rate thereafter, will be interested to see results (if any, lol).

Look the point isnt that it raises your metabolism. the point of tabata is that it improves your metabolic conditioning. like crossfit. its designed to make you fitter in general. straight up.
  • ceebs9
    Options

Look the point isnt that it raises your metabolism. the point of tabata is that it improves your metabolic conditioning. like crossfit. its designed to make you fitter in general. straight up.

EXACTLY!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!

Yeah, I agree. True application of the Tabata Protocol (5 min warm up, 4 minutes intervals of 20sec maximum intensity followed by 10sec recovery, and 5 min cool down) is much more about improving fitness levels. As a fat burning or weight loss tool it has a limited scope in comparison to say long steady state, HIIT or a mixture of both which will result in more calories burned.

Tabata is more for increasing anaerobic and aerobic capacity at the same time. Great for fitness athletes not so geared for a weight loss trainee.
  • CBaker513
    CBaker513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the video.
    This makes me laugh so hard:laugh:
    NOT because it doesn't work, but because I have done this before.
    I actually went to a police academy and they made us do this everyday, except for 15 minutes, twice a day(with a little more rest in between exercises)
    Oh man, bringing back brutal memories. :grumble:

I would definitely recommend this, though because ti REALLY gets your heart pumping. I wouldn't say to replace your normal workout for this but if you can find 4 minutes to knock this out, I bet you'll see results.

Awesome post!