bump!
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bump
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am way late in reading this, but thank you!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bumping for a refresher
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump for a friend :)
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimeister
    Options
    bump
  • shanna5
    Options
    Great info, I just can't get my mentality to change. I've been told over and over again to stick to 1200 calories a day....with or without exercise, not to eat back calories. I have been stuck at my current weight (I'm 5 ft, 6 in, weigh 139 and have lost 16 pounds so far) and have been for several months. I gain a pound, lose a pound...over and over again. I cant get any lower than 138, very frustrating and depressing.

I read the post, along with others about increasing calories and eating back exercise calories - I think it makes sense, but how can I change my own mind??? I finally just changed the calories on MFP so I'm not staring at the 1200 all day (now it's up to 1320). I try to work out 6 days a week and burn at least 500 calories w/ each workout. If I eat back my calories, that would mean I have to be eating around 1800 calories a day??? Am I really going to lose weight??? I know something isn't working, so I should be open and excited to try something that will actually work, but such an increase in calories seems a bit much.

I need to change something b/c I am getting too depressed and frustrated and I'm afraid that I'm going to quit. I dont want to quit - I want to succeed (I want to be able to finally have a succes story), I just don't know how to get there :(

OK, sorry for the rant - not feeling so good about myself....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Great info, I just can't get my mentality to change. I've been told over and over again to stick to 1200 calories a day....with or without exercise, not to eat back calories. I have been stuck at my current weight (I'm 5 ft, 6 in, weigh 139 and have lost 16 pounds so far) and have been for several months. I gain a pound, lose a pound...over and over again. I cant get any lower than 138, very frustrating and depressing.

I read the post, along with others about increasing calories and eating back exercise calories - I think it makes sense, but how can I change my own mind??? I finally just changed the calories on MFP so I'm not staring at the 1200 all day (now it's up to 1320). I try to work out 6 days a week and burn at least 500 calories w/ each workout. If I eat back my calories, that would mean I have to be eating around 1800 calories a day??? Am I really going to lose weight??? I know something isn't working, so I should be open and excited to try something that will actually work, but such an increase in calories seems a bit much.

I need to change something b/c I am getting too depressed and frustrated and I'm afraid that I'm going to quit. I dont want to quit - I want to succeed (I want to be able to finally have a succes story), I just don't know how to get there :(

OK, sorry for the rant - not feeling so good about myself....

without knowing much about you, what did you set your weekly goal to?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    nice post.
  • shanna5
    Options
    [/quote]

I just recently changed it to lose 1/2 pound a week, which changed my calories to 1320/day. Ultimately, I'm close to my goal weight - I'd like to lose another 5 pounds or so.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I just recently changed it to lose 1/2 pound a week, which changed my calories to 1320/day. Ultimately, I'm close to my goal weight - I'd like to lose another 5 pounds or so.
    [/quote]

so, ok you're looking to lose what we in the industry call "vanity weight" but don't take that the wrong way, it's not meant as any kind of insult. We call it that because the body usually doesn't WANT to lose that last 5 to 10 lbs, the body likes to have a cushion, so those last few lbs are going to be far harder than any others. And 1/2 lb may be all you can hope for. and yes, at this point you're weight will fluctuate every week, IMHO expect it to take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to lose it if you are diligent and consistent in your nutrition and exercise.

take a peek at this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

it may help a little.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that any one here really wants to lose weight the right way any more - but I will continue to bump these good posts in the hope that someone will be converted.
  • fitgirl1025
    Options
    Bump! :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm not sure that any one here really wants to lose weight the right way any more - but I will continue to bump these good posts in the hope that someone will be converted.

there are plenty Cheryl, they just aren't as ... demonstrative as some of the other members. I get quite a few PM's asking for help from people who just want to know, and don't want all the drama.

I think partly it's because people want to be justified in their choices, even when those choices are not the best, and somewhere deep down they know it, but they want solidarity in their actions.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    :heart: bump
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For newer folks to check out!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump