Haters of V-day

Options
DJH3
DJH3 Posts: 243
Anyone else absolutely despise Valentines Day? Between the angst, the chocolate, and the pollen allergies I can't really think of a more miserable holiday. Wonder if there are people out there that genuinely like v-day...

A fun fact I found online: "The National Retail Federation says the average man will drop more than $158 dollars for Valentine's Day, while the average woman will only spend about $75 dollars."

Replies

• Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I really don't give a crap either way. My hubby and I both have birthdays right around V Day, so we pretty much just skip it.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That's because we deserve it! And home depot doesn't do enough advertising. Maybe you'd like a table saw for Valentine's Day, but no one told us to get you one.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exhaust that much energy into actually hating the day...but to me...its just another day....have always thought it silly in a way.....
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need to spend tons of money. My boyfriend and I are having a home cooked meal, he's doing the cooking, I bought dessert and beer... haha. And I baked him cookies since he loves sweets. I told him i don't expect flowers or anything, I just like spending time over a nice dinner he made me. I suspect I'm not in the majority of how women feel about the holiday tho... lol. Neither of us are spending anywhere near the average, I think I've spent $20 total between the beer and cheesecake and cookie dough.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just like any other day...

That being said, I randomly buy things for my husband or my son. The only "out-of-the-ordinary" thing I've done today was bought him a card.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it but I also don't think it's very romantic to be a love lemming and jump off that cliff into having to buy flowers, candy, dinner and the likes. I would rather have floers justs because.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I don't believe in any holiday. I make everyday a celebration. I don't need some overpaid corporation to tell me what "things" I need to make me feel good. I'm awesome and it costs me nothing.:drinker:
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I'll be working out tonight like all other Monday nights. Just another day, but I do make bits of effort to acknowledge the day.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I would much rather be given a gift just because, not out of obligation. Plus, I'm not terribly into what most people consider "romance". :laugh:
  • DJH3
    Options
    *headshake at schpanks* Killing me...

I'm TRYING not to get pummelled by the females here but why do a lot of women think they "deserve it" more than men do? If your man is a complete DB or you are a stay at home mom raising the little ones, then I can see the justification here.
  • dars069
    Options
    I hate Valentines Day. I think it's a holiday thought up by the greeting card industry to boost sales, especially after Christmas is over and there isn't another "card holiday" until Mother's Day.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I don't really get the whole thing if you ask me.....If you are treated well by your other half the other days of the year, then why do you also need a "special" day just to prove that you are loved? and if I want something, whether it be jewelry, flowers, or a new pair of Docs...I am certainly not going to expect a guy to get them for me, I will do it myself, I'm kinda independent like that....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I treat it like Mother's Day or Father's Day. It's great that your sig. other is wonderful year round, but this is just one day that we remember it. I have a cool mom 365 days a year, but I don't buy her a card 365 days a year. Just once to tell her she's a great mom. I love my fiance, but we're not going to have romantic dinners 365 times a year, but just once to celebrate what we have without letting other things get in the way is kinda nice.
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it. But I do think it's nothing more than a pissing contest.

We don't celebrate/acknowledge it at all. My husband's sentiment is that no one's going it tell HIM when to get his wife something... and I feel the same way. We do plenty for one another on other days.
  • DJH3
    Options
    Okay, how many of you have gotten the question from family/coworkers the day of or the day after "What are you (did you) do for your spouse for Valentines day?" and when you said "not a darn thing" you get berated for it or get the look like you're a terrible person?
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that is pretty much reserved for men. Women get a shot of the "oh, you poor poor thing" sympathetic look with a mild "i'm here for you sister" man bashing chaser. No matter how many times you tell them that you don't celebrate it. *shrug* Just because it's true, doesn't make it fair.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't really celebrate it, either. I mean, we buy each other a small gift, but that's about it...no fancy dinner or anything. We buy the kids cutesy little things since my daughter is 6 and thinks EVERYTHING is a huge deal. :heart:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don`t hate it.....but I don`t celebrate it. My husband I don`t do anything special, no chocolate, no flowers etc.

I buy valentines cards so my daughter can take them to school but really I think of it a completely useless day for stores to try and make more money.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    *headshake at schpanks* Killing me...

I'm TRYING not to get pummelled by the females here but why do a lot of women think they "deserve it" more than men do? If your man is a complete DB or you are a stay at home mom raising the little ones, then I can see the justification here.

My favorite thing about V Day is surprising my man. We don't do much but I like doing things to make him smile. Hid his valentine in the bathroom so when he got up at the crack of dawn to go to work, he would find it first thing. I'm going home after work to make him some brownies. It's always the thought that counts. Today and every day.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wild sex......