In a bit of a pickle

Replies

• jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Yes. she is giving out bogus information, check this posting where whe is arguing that lots of eggs and cholesterol is good for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173938-after-30-years-eggs-are-good-again

After 30 years, Eggs are good again??

Sorry, can't resist...

I used to be a runner and I still subscribe to Runners magazines and runners websites..............I guess these websites dedicated to running don't have a clue as to what they are talking about????

Post-Run Recovery Starts with Protein

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17803

LMAO. Great link. Here are some highlights

* The key is taking the right amount at the right time, and not skimping on fluids and carbohydrates in the process.

* Dietitians are careful to note that hydration is still king, followed closely by replenishing carbohydrates, with most studies suggesting a 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio.

* Protein repairs exercise-induced muscle damage, reduces the response from the stress hormone cortisol and even helps speed glycogen replacement, the goal of taking in carbohydrates

But hey, you're the certified expert

The key is that protein is still more important than carbohydrates. Carbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I know people that do very low carb eating plans and have done so for years and years and are marathon runners.

This is what I practice. I have been fasting after workouts.............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-workout-fasting/

I also know many people that do low carb diets and have lost a good amount of muscle mass.
    And I am also a runner and studying dietetics at my university and specializing in athletics.

I am also a division one athlete with a trainer. Are you telling me he has no idea what he is talking about?
    carbs are not something to avoid and are very important in glycogen stores and the recovery proccess

I honestly think you need some more schooling. So maybe you will stop giving out bogus information

I am not giving out bogus information.

I also know better than to recommend nutritionally void foods such as crackers after a run.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Yes. she is giving out bogus information, check this posting where whe is arguing that lots of eggs and cholesterol is good for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173938-after-30-years-eggs-are-good-again

Sorry, can't resist...

I used to be a runner and I still subscribe to Runners magazines and runners websites..............I guess these websites dedicated to running don't have a clue as to what they are talking about????

* The key is taking the right amount at the right time, and not skimping on fluids and carbohydrates in the process.

* Dietitians are careful to note that hydration is still king, followed closely by replenishing carbohydrates, with most studies suggesting a 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio.

* Protein repairs exercise-induced muscle damage, reduces the response from the stress hormone cortisol and even helps speed glycogen replacement, the goal of taking in carbohydrates

The key is that protein is still more important than carbohydrates. Carbs are not as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I know people that do very low carb eating plans and have done so for years and years and are marathon runners.

This is what I practice. I have been fasting after workouts.............

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-workout-fasting/

I also know many people that do low carb diets and have lost a good amount of muscle mass.
    And I am also a runner and studying dietetics at my university and specializing in athletics.

I am also a division one athlete with a trainer. Are you telling me he has no idea what he is talking about?
    carbs are not something to avoid and are very important in glycogen stores and the recovery proccess

I honestly think you need some more schooling. So maybe you will stop giving out bogus information

I am not giving out bogus information.

I also know better than to recommend nutritionally void foods such as crackers after a run.

I am not giving out bogus informatino. You are saying fallacies and misinformation. You are the only one that said that eggs raise cholesterol, which is untrue.

And there was no arguement by me. I made one comment, which was not argumentative, but in agreeance.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Protein is MUCH more important in muscle recovery than carbs!!!
  • Grokette
    Protein is MUCH more important in muscle recovery than carbs!!!

Thank You!!!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Me and the OP talk quite a bit, She knows I reccommend Kashi Whole Grain crackers with complex carbs, fiber, and a bit of protein. And low in calories which is what she is looking for. Just a snack.

Cool that you are certified blah blah blah.
    I dont see how you are going to help many with the kind of information you are giving out. More like a parrot repeating something you found in a google search.

I can give information that I have learned from instructors at my university, case studies I have read, Studies I have participated in, and personal experience from being an athlete.

Done arguing. kthxbai.
  • Grokette
    Me and the OP talk quite a bit, She knows I reccommend Kashi Whole Grain crackers with complex carbs, fiber, and a bit of protein. And low in calories which is what she is looking for. Just a snack.

I dont see how you are going to help many with the kind of information you are giving out. More like a parrot repeating something you found in a google search.

I can give information that I have learned from instructors at my university, case studies I have read, Studies I have participated in, and personal experience from being an athlete.

Done arguing. kthxbai.

No, not research I did from googling.

My research number 1 comes from my own experiments. And learning from my Naturopathic Doctor. I will be going to work for their office soon.

Secondly, I read, study and take classes at a Naturopathic school.

I don't subscribe or believe any conventional wisdom that the majority believe.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Please....
    2:1 carbs:protein post workout.

if you really want us too...we can spell it out...

TWO To ONE
    PROTEIN To CARBS.

lol.

How are you going to replenish your glycogen stores without carbs??
    How is your body going to transport and push protein into your muscles efficiently without carbs???

Please, do tell. I really wanna know, so i can stop chasing carbs post workout.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Damn, people... you're adults - stop acting like children! I read through this thread hoping to get advice and I get an earful (eyeful? lol) of arguments and fighting. Agree to disagree and lets move on to the actual advice. Geez. :grumble:
  • Grokette
    Please....
    2:1 carbs:protein post workout.

if you really want us too...we can spell it out...

TWO To ONE
    PROTEIN To CARBS.

lol.

How are you going to replenish your glycogen stores without carbs??
    How is your body going to transport and push protein into your muscles efficiently without carbs???

Please, do tell. I really wanna know, so i can stop chasing carbs post workout.

Actually, protein can be converted into glycogen through a process called Glycogenesis, which is processed in the liver.

We don't need carbs other than vegetables and some fruit. As previously mentioned, I know people that are very, very low carb, very athletic and muscular and are marathon runners.
  • Grokette
    Damn, people... you're adults - stop acting like children! I read through this thread hoping to get advice and I get an earful (eyeful? lol) of arguments and fighting. Agree to disagree and lets move on to the actual advice. Geez. :grumble:

I am not arguing. I am debating the fact that everyone says after workouts that blah, blah, blah xxx amount of carbs are needed, when in fact they are not needed.

Debating is good. The old research that is taught in the main stream universities that gets so much funding from the federal government does not mean that it is right.

I have learned far more from real life experience along with taking classes through Holistic School and Naturopathic Universities.

I have my doctor to back me up who is also my own Health Coach.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164

I am not arguing. I am debating the fact that everyone says after workouts that blah, blah, blah xxx amount of carbs are needed, when in fact they are not needed.

Debating is good. The old research that is taught in the main stream universities that gets so much funding from the federal government does not mean that it is right.

I have learned far more from real life experience along with taking classes through Holistic School and Naturopathic Universities.

Just because you have someone who backs you up does not mean it is correct, and because something gets federal funding does not make it wrong.
    You are not debating, as you are trying to say you are right and others are wrong - that is how I read this
  • Grokette

Just because you have someone who backs you up does not mean it is correct, and because something gets federal funding does not make it wrong.
    You are not debating, as you are trying to say you are right and others are wrong - that is how I read this

I am not saying others are wrong as we are all different. However, no one should be telling me I am giving bogus information when I am not.

I know the people I work with are getting healthier and healthier and I have done so also. I am going to continue to put out the information that needs to be made public. I will continue to fight the government until food policies are changed.

The only reason that we are told we need so many servings of grains is because they can genetically modify these seeds and grow them cheaply. Cheating the farmers out of their hard earned money while feeding the mainstream public poisonous and toxic foods, if you want to call GMO's real food.

The more people back up the government, food manufacturers, the AHA, ADA, Mayo Clinic, etc - the worse off we are going to be in the grand scheme of things. When we start shopping from CSA's and local farmers for meat, eggs and dairy and stop giving the Big food manufacturers our hard earned money, then we will see change.

At the present time, the majority of people are voting every time you spend money at the market to say "Hey, go ahead and keep poisoning us".

And yes, it is a known fact that Universities and these Associations, such as the ADA, AHA, etc are known to give out bad information to fuel the government agenda they are trying to fulfill. The studies are geared to have an outcome that benefits the big business such as government, farming and pharmaceutical companies.

And no, I am not being a conspiracy theorist. I know in my travels, life experiences and going through a whole slew of doctors that the ONLY doctor that has been able to help me is not the ones pushing big pharmaceuticals down my throat. She had nothing to gain from me asking her to become my doctor.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    http://www.credentialwatch.org/reports/iin.shtml

Check this link, that should address the credentials of "board-certified health counselors" of the "Institute for Integrative Nutrition". Bottom line is $4,995 plus an additional $495, for the "Certificate in Health Counseling" and watching some web siminars gets you the credentials. In addition, it seems you have to recruit other "health counselors", something like a pyramid scheme.

• Grokette
    http://www.credentialwatch.org/reports/iin.shtml

Check this link, that should address the credentials of "board-certified health counselors" of the "Institute for Integrative Nutrition". Bottom line is $4,995 plus an additional $495, for the "Certificate in Health Counseling" and watching some web siminars gets you the credentials. In addition, it seems you have to recruit other "health counselors", something like a pyramid scheme.

IIN is not my only schooling. And my Naturopathic Dr is not affiliated at all with IIN. And there is much more to getting the credentials than watching some web seminars. We are tested just like any other University and it is accredited through SUNY - New York. Also, I haven't recruited one single person.

Here is the link to my doctor http://websterfp.com/

In addition, I am also taking classes through Everglades University for Alternative medicine. You know nothing about me, so stop trying to spread untruths and flat out lies.
  • As a long distance runner, semi-body builder and martial artist, I can confirm to you that you do NOT need carbs.

If carbs were so important, then how did our ancestors survive? They ate 70% fat and 30% protein and carbs were extremely rare.

As someone once said, "Eating carbs to lose weight is like digging a hole so that you can use a ladder to climb into a window on a ground floor".
  • Court7898
    Court7898 Posts: 37 Member
    Oh my word you guys....seriously.

How about we stop bickering about what's right and what's wrong and who needs more schooling and who's trainer is better blah blah blah...

How about, just make a suggestion, and move on? There's no reason to be so ugly to each other.
    The attitude thrown around here is worse than most teenagers' I know.

Lets grown up okay?
    Make a suggestion. It's up to the original poster to decide what she wants to do, and if she's smart, she'll research the suggestions she's given.

Enough already.
  • Court7898
    Court7898 Posts: 37 Member
    Oh my word you guys....seriously.

How about we stop bickering about what's right and what's wrong and who needs more schooling and who's trainer is better blah blah blah...

How about, just make a suggestion, and move on? There's no reason to be so ugly to each other.
    The attitude thrown around here is worse than most teenagers' I know.

Lets grown up okay?
    Make a suggestion. It's up to the original poster to decide what she wants to do, and if she's smart, she'll research the suggestions she's given.

Enough already.

Bahaha....'grown up'.

Geeze, I meant grow up obviously.:laugh:
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member

Actually, they're pretty great for you. While I don't subscribe to the "carbs are bad" school of thought, there's plenty of research from the last decade showing that the dietary cholesterol you'd find in foods like eggs doesn't raise your blood cholesterol like once thought. Even such mainstream (and reputable) places such as the Harvard.EDU site have plenty of articles on this.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Sorry, can't resist...

PREACH TASO! woo!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member

Done arguing. kthxbai.

TELL EM GIIIIRRRL!!
This discussion has been closed.