Hey! I used to be hot!

McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
edited September 24 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, Everyone,

I'm brand new here. Long story short, I'm 26, a girl, 5'2" and 225 lbs. Well, 210 lbs. as of today. I managed to lose 15 lbs last month, though I'm not entirely sure how.

I used to weigh around 120 in high school and was on cheer, cross-country, volleyball and rode my bike everywhere. Now, I sit at my desk in my home office and type for 10 hours a day. The other hours I'm awake I surf the internet. I think it's depression.

I only eat once a day, usually around 1200-1500 calories and my metabolism is nonexistent because of it. How do I know? When I drink alcohol (2x/month), my hangover lasts for three days straight. No joke. So I'm amping my metabolism back up by eating smaller meals throughout the day. Sticking to the 1200-1500 calorie range.

So, I'm single for the first time in my life (since I was 15 anyway) and I'm ready to look and feel awesome again.

I'm trying bike riding (I have a beach cruiser) and barefoot running (got some Vibram Five Fingers on sale). The trick is to make time for it everyday, 6 days a week.

Thoughts on making it a morning habit? I'm inclined to believe this will help boost my motivation/dedication AND metabolism for the day.

---

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ:

Short girl. Past athlete. Gained 100 lbs. over a decade due to sedentary work/lifestyle and poor diet/habits.

Start weight: 225.
Current weight: 210.
Goal weight: 140.
I have 70 lbs. to go.

---

Thanks to everyone who posts their own stories in this message board. It's inspiring. :)

-M.

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Good luck! welcome to the site!:flowerforyou:
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Welcome. Sounds like you're already on your way to the new/old you!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    WELCOME!!!! You made me laugh with your short version recap on the bottom. You can do this - def. start out by breaking up your meals. You might not like doing it for the first couple of weeks and your body may be very angry at you but you can do it! And after the first couple of weeks, it will get much easier and before you know it you will be at goal and feeling fantabulous!!!

Feel free to add me for support. And I'm sure you're still hot - just not the same kind of hotness that you were when you were at a lower weight. :)
  • good luck in your journey! these people have been an amazing help and motivation! you came to the right place for sure!!!! feel free to add me, the more friends, the bigger motivation, i feel.....ttys=)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Definitely good luck and add me if you would like support or just to chit chat! You can do it!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Agreed - you're off to an excellent start! This is a great place to be. Hoping you can make some friends here who are in the same boat as you and maybe lighten that depression a bit. Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Go ahead and add me...I am relatively new to weight loss...but I too gained a bunch of weight over the past few years since I started working at a desk....would love to walk along side you!
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    good luck! we are similiar:) same height and i used to be 110-112lb and pretty active and now spend most of my time online and snacking when im not happy about something or when im bored.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Good luck! You made me laugh with the TL;DR version that I've seen in many message boards I've frequented. I love working out in the morning. It kicks your butt at first but you start to love it after a little bit.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Welcome and Best Wishes on your journey. Sounds like you have a great start already, keep it up!

I always try to do my workout in the morning. It does help give me a jumpstart on the day and make wiser food choices. I don't wanna eat a bunch of unhealthy foods after doing such a good job getting up and burning calories!
  • Welcome. Don't use those new shoes for lengthy periods of time at first. It will take awhile for your feet/leg muscles/joints to get used to wearing. Office work for 10 hours a day-take a 10 minute break each hour and stretch your legs. Not only is it good for the body, but for mental alertness, too. Put a high school picture on the fridge...sometimes it's the photo of our goal which keeps us from eating something we shouldn't. My vice are sweets. The only way I could stop my late night sweet snacking was to stop buying the junk food. Purge your house of the bad stuff. Good luck. Feel free to add me.
    p.s. love the title of your post.
  • Welcome! I work out in the morning because quite frankly, I would come up with too many excuses as the day went on. It's the first thing I do and it works best for me that way. Everyone is different though - just see what works best for you.
  • equivocalbeauty
    equivocalbeauty Posts: 15 Member
    You've got the right attitude, so I'm sure you're going to do great! Also, I think that having friends to motivate you is the best part about MFP, so add me if you like. I'm also in the whole desk job situation and it seriously sucks. As for the whole morning exercise thing, I've never been able to do it (I'm not a morning person at all), but I do think that it might be easier to get it out of the way first. Good luck!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    You are not alone in any of this...and making this place a starting point is a great idea! God bless on reaching your goals!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Hey! I get all this. I was once hot too lol....now I avoid people who knew me then because well, yea.

Welcome! I love this place.
  • Sounds like you have a plan and are on your way - good for you! I'm relatively new to this site as well and so far I have found nothing but supportive and wonderful people to offer advice and cheer me on. I too was a once a day eater with a non-existant metabolism. I now eat 5 small meals a day and find I have more energy and am more positive. The first few weeks were hard, forcing myself to eat when I did not feel hungry, now my body is adapting. Most importantly, do NOT skip breakfast - it gets your metabolism going!! Good Luck :)
  • amm703
    amm703 Posts: 111 Member
    Good luck, looks like you are off to a good start.
  • :flowerforyou: WELCOME to Fitness Pal! I love it here and I am sure you will too. Just be sure to log your food every day and exercise also. I recommend exercising in the morning before you eat...I have heard its good for your metabolism to do it that way. I love tracking my exercise.....its so motivating to see the calories you have burned. Have fun and add a lot of people so you will get a lot of motivation and support . Have a great day. If you have any questions, you can ask them on the Community board also. :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Hey! I get all this. I was once hot too lol....now I avoid people who knew me then because well, yea.

Welcome! I love this place.
    I do the same thing! Stay home and try to avoid seeing any of my husband's friends...lol Because I lost 60lbs and looked so much better and then gained it all back :( So now when he goes out I stay home..when I used to go with him everytime. It certainly adds to depression and a feeling of low self esteem.

WELCOME original poster :) I did read your whole post! lol
  • Sister, you've got it made! Let's review: you're young, you were hot and you were an athlete. In general, you're already ahead of the curve. Visualizing where you want to be should be cake...you've been there...look at some pictures from then. Your body is dying to go back to that, and will respond quickly. It is considerably easier to get in shape once you've been there.

Now, you need motivation. Know how to get that? Working out. Yep, action doesn't follow motivation, it's the other way around - motivation follows action. When do you realize working out feels really good? Right when you're finishing up and those endorphins are coursing through you! So, that's the next step...turn off the damn computer, and get outside...oh, and I don't care about the weather, that just makes it more fun.

You used to be a cross country runner? Get some real shoes (the kinds with support and soles) and get your butt up tomorrow morning and move. Get going, jog a little until it hurts, then walk - and repeat! Just 30 minutes tomorrow morning. Can you do that? I guarantee motivation will come along.

Final step, you need DRIVE, not motivation. Motivation is short term...it's gets you through your daily workout. But you need DRIVE to get there. Get drive by going deep and figuring out what you really want out of this. You used to be hot? Did you love it? Was it great getting looks? Was it great feeling hot in the mirror? If you said yes, do you like that feeling more than surfing the internet or donuts? You decide, we can't. BUT, if you make the commitment, you've got a lot of people on here who will support you on the journey "back to hot".
    Hi, Everyone,

I'm brand new here. Long story short, I'm 26, a girl, 5'2" and 225 lbs. Well, 210 lbs. as of today. I managed to lose 15 lbs last month, though I'm not entirely sure how.

I used to weigh around 120 in high school and was on cheer, cross-country, volleyball and rode my bike everywhere. Now, I sit at my desk in my home office and type for 10 hours a day. The other hours I'm awake I surf the internet. I think it's depression.

I only eat once a day, usually around 1200-1500 calories and my metabolism is nonexistent because of it. How do I know? When I drink alcohol (2x/month), my hangover lasts for three days straight. No joke. So I'm amping my metabolism back up by eating smaller meals throughout the day. Sticking to the 1200-1500 calorie range.

So, I'm single for the first time in my life (since I was 15 anyway) and I'm ready to look and feel awesome again.

I'm trying bike riding (I have a beach cruiser) and barefoot running (got some Vibram Five Fingers on sale). The trick is to make time for it everyday, 6 days a week.

Thoughts on making it a morning habit? I'm inclined to believe this will help boost my motivation/dedication AND metabolism for the day.

---

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ:

Short girl. Past athlete. Gained 100 lbs. over a decade due to sedentary work/lifestyle and poor diet/habits.

Start weight: 225.
    Current weight: 210.
    Goal weight: 140.
    I have 70 lbs. to go.

---

Thanks to everyone who posts their own stories in this message board. It's inspiring. :)

-M.
This discussion has been closed.