30 Day Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I drank 8+ glasses of water today, which makes day 2 of 8 glasses of water. Yesterday it was pretty hard to get it all down, but today I drank 6 glasses in the first half of the day, and when I was walking home from work, I actually felt thirsty! I completed my exercise today as well. It's still pretty difficult for me, but I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. I got in what I think are 3 fairly healthy meals, so, so far so good!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ceejay it gets easier every day to get the water down. By the end of this challenge or before, you will be craving water! Great job:) Do you just drink it plain or with fruit in it?
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ceejay it gets easier every day to get the water down. By the end of this challenge or before, you will be craving water! Great job:) Do you just drink it plain or with fruit in it?

I actually really like plain water. It's just the volume that's got to me yesterday (had no trouble today). Today, I think that drinking all that water helped me from eating things I shouldn't have, so I will definitely keep it up!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Drank 14 "glasses" (8oz) of water today. For those of you having a hard time with the water - you must not live at altitude/dry climates. I had the same problem when I lived in New England, but now that I'm in high and dry Boulder, CO, I can't get enough!

Got a lot of exercise - 45 minute walk with baby in stroller. After she went to sleep I thought I might as well jog in place while watching TV and got bored with that so next thing I knew I was jogging around the house cleaning. I even jogged in place while washing dishes. It was a little tricky, but if I have to wash dishes, I might as well burn some extra cals too! Got in a total of 25 minutes of "jogging in place" (loosely termed).

Excited about tomorrow's challenge, but maybe b/c I suggested it ;-) kylake is so right, just a few extra little things, like parking farther away, or powerwalking while shopping can make a big difference. That's my reason for crazily jogging around the house while picking up/doing chores.

And the icing on the cake, I'm already down 1 (real) lb since starting the challenge. according to the scale I'm down 4 lbs, but I'm pretty sure I was retaining 3 lbs of water when we started (b/c I spiked 3 lbs in 1 day). I'm feeling so motivated!
  • tiddlyjinx
    tiddlyjinx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I always bake up some sklnless chicken breasts every Sunday, and make different things throught the week for a quick supper or lunches

One of my favorite things to make is chicken salad

2 ozs cooked chicken breast chopped
    1.5 Tbsp low calorie miracle whip
    1 Tbsp chopped red pepper
    1 Tbsp chopped celery
    1 Tbsp chopped onion

spices such as pepper, celery seed, anything you like

this totals to just over 100 calories if you use low cal bread it is a 200 for a fairly large sandwich
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Wtg Olivia so you are already doing tomorrow's challenge and I knew you would like it:) I have a list of challenges wrote down and that was one of them. Great minds think alike:) Loving the recipes and thanks tiddlyjinx for the chicken salad recipe. I've been looking for a good low cal one. I love california chicken salad with the grapes and walnuts in it. Not sure how fattening that is. Let's keep the excitement alive and if you don't post anything, we don't know that you are still with us! Goodnight all~~
    ~~Angela~~
  • krystlenicole
    krystlenicole Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One recipe my husband and I both love is a healthy chicken salad. This recipe came from the Biggest Loser Workout Cookbook, but we do it with a few less steps.

Chicken Salad - Mix everything together.
    1 can of diced chicken (drained)
    1 TBS of plain yogurt (make sure consistency is ok)
    1 diced apple
    1/4 cup + of diced grapes (depending on how you like)
    squirt of dijon mustard

We love eating the salad with whole wheat bread/crackers. I think using cranberries and pecans would be a delicious alternative to the apples and grapes.

Hope you all enjoy!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love Taco Soup!! Here's a great recipe:

Ingredients:
    2 pounds ground beef (I use 97% fat free)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 poblano pepper, chopped
    1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
    1 can black beans
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
    1 can stewed tomatoes – mexican style
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix (I like to use low sodium)
    1 pkg. original hidden valley ranch dressing (dry)
    2 1/2 cups water or more, to make soup broth

Preparation:
    Brown ground beef and drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 mins.

Serving Suggestion:
    add chopped cilantro
    add fresh avocado
    sprinkle with grated cheese
    add a dollop of sour cream
    serve with tortilla chips

Nutrition:
    Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
    Calories: 215
    Fat: 5g
    Protein: 25g
    Fiber: 2g

What I love about taco soup is you can add or subtract ingredients and it still tastes awesome!
  • Ultrawomanll
    Ultrawomanll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't wait to check out all these great recipes!! So I failed yesterday on my water and exercise I only had 3 glasses of water and no exercises but I stayed under my calorie goal for the day so that felt good. Today I do have great news to report so far Im about to do my half hour work on the elliptical and drank my 8 glasses of water today. Boy was it hard. Check out my blog to read about it if your interested. So Heres a small little recipe I came up with that I found was pretty tasty and healthy for you.

If you like Tuna fish here's a great substitue for a Tuna Salad.

2 Cans of Tuna
    1 ripe avocado
    sliced up tomato (don't have to use the whole thing if you don't want to)
    Diced celery
    diced onion (or shallots if you prefer)
    small amount of sea salt
    small amount of white pepper
    One Mission sun dried Tomato Basil Wrap

First, Drain and rinse the two cans of tuna and place into large bowl. Next, you are going to take a butter knife and cut the avocado in half to remove the pit. Once pitted, scoop out the inside of avocado and place into bowl with tuna. Mash the avocado and mix it into the tuna. The avocado is going to act as your mayonaise but it is a much healthier (and tastier) fat than mayo. Slice up as much tomato, onion and celery as you desire and mix into tuna/avocado combo. Add some salt and pepper for seasoning. ( I found white pepper works much better with fish it brings out the flavor more) Lay wrap on plate and scoop in as much of the Tuna Avocado mixture as you desire on your wrap and wa-lah a delicious alternative to the to standard tuna salad.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Hello ladies! Was a little sick the past few days. But I'm back!

One of my favorite but extra simple recipes is roasted cauliflower. I simply cut up cauliflower, roast it in a pan with a little oil at 375 for about 35 or 40 minutes. Doesn't have to be a lot of oil, either. Turning about 3 times. Its best in a cast iron skillet if you have one. I like it with a little bit of curry powder and salt. But a simple salt and pepper is good too. But experiment with whatever spices you like.

Generally speaking, I hate cauliflower. But roasted anything, in a cast iron skillet, is delicious. Roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, roasted tomatoes, roasted onions...I've never had anything that wasn't improved by being roasted in a cast iron skillet.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The tuna/avocado salad mix sounds good--something new to try this week.

I got in my exercise and then some doing kitchen chores, cleaning, and standing/walking at work. I managed the 8 cups of water. I noticed last night that I didn't wake up during the night thirsty or with a dry mouth. And my weight was down again today, and I really didn't expect it to be. Increased water intake=magic!!
  • widemann
    Options
    Simple PInto Beans Soup:
    Presoak 1 pkg pinto beans overnight, then rinse well, and add fresh water to cover beans.
    Add 1 chopped onion.
    Add 6 sliced carrots.
    Add 6 sliced stalks celery.
    1 can chicken broth.
    Add spices of choice, including salt and pepper.
    Top off water so all ingredients are well covered.
    Gently boil until done. Make sure the water does not go dry.

There are 235 calories per cup of cooked pinto beans. (And you will need to add the calories per portion of carrots, celery, and broth.)

Today I did my 30 min. walking. And drank plenty of water (although I do tea). And I watched carefully to not feed my sweet tooth. I'm still working on the focus of eating healthy foods.
  • Bellser
    Bellser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there - managing to keep up with the challenges - just!!! the water is the one i'm struggliung with (but lemon slices are helping) I forgot to give my goal at the beginning of this (doh!) Am hoping to llose 3kg throughout the challenge... Many thanks for starting it up.... inspiring :wink:
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes. I'm SO excited to try them all and get some variety into my meals.

I didn't post yesterday for Day 3 - met the exercies & water (16 glasses!)

Tonight I'm trying belly dancing! A friend has done it now for 4 weeks and is already looking amazing! She says it kicks her butt...exactly what I want. Unfortunately, though, I have to wear a scarf with dandling coins around my hips. It's not like I don't have enough jiggling around my hips already; but to add more! Ufftah!! :wink:

Have a great Thursday.
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your recipes. I'm SO excited to try them all and get some variety into my meals.

I didn't post yesterday for Day 3 - met the exercies & water (16 glasses!)

Tonight I'm trying belly dancing! A friend has done it now for 4 weeks and is already looking amazing! She says it kicks her butt...exactly what I want. Unfortunately, though, I have to wear a scarf with dandling coins around my hips. It's not like I don't have enough jiggling around my hips already; but to add more! Ufftah!! :wink:

Have a great Thursday.

Belly dancing sounds fun!!! Are you taking a class?
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Good morning everyone....my cousin posted the daily challenge last night, we think it's better that way so everyone can read them the night before just in case you don't log on in the morning. The challenge is try 10 extra minutes of exercise today...read back a few posts and she talks about it (kylakesgal) or just read here:

Challenge for Day 3- Thursday
    I challenge you to do an additional 10 minutes of any type of exercise. This isn't that hard but sometimes it's little things that can make a huge difference. Did you know that an additional 30 mins of walking a day will increase your weight loss to an extra 1/3 lb a week? Doesn't sound like much but it adds up. Maybe all it would take is to park further away than you normally would. If you are shopping, just take an extra 10 minutes of walking around in the store. If you have a desk job like I do, try doing leg lifts in the chair. Take the dog for a longer walk. Run in place for 10 mins. Climb some stairs. It is all going to be so worth it:)
    If you are just starting to exercise and think you can't do this, well try just doing some extra housework. Anything that is moving our bodies counts. Good luck to everyone and check in tomorrow and share with us what you did for that extra 10 mins. We love to get your feedback and ideas of challenges you might like to do. Have a super night:)

~~Angela~~

Have a wonderful positive day everyone!
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    Hey everyone... I forgot to post a recipe last night, but wehn i thought about it, i realized I don't really have an actual recipe... I do love salmon though. So I will buy a few fillets and put some sea salt and pepper on them - stick them in oven and then serve with rice. really easy, and delicious!

Hopefully I can get the exercise in today. Normally I go at lunch but i had an appt, and I am working my second job tonight, so time will be tight. But I am going to try to do the 30 day shred tonight. And since I wasn't planning on doing ANY exercise today, I will count that as 20 extra min!
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    Working on my water for the day but it should be done soon! Already did my cardio for the day and ended up adding an extra 20 instead of 10. I was watching tv and lost track of time :) Hope everyones day is going great!!!!
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    I was just going to work out for 30 minutes while my son napped but I ended up going for 50 doing Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds 4 mile walk....and some dumbell chest flys and stretch band arm work :) Then me and my son are going for a walk here in a bit since the weather is reasonable today. I'm really loving this challenge everybody....it's all about MIND OVER MATTER. When you talk yourself out of something you fail but when you tell yourself you can do it, you succeed. Like Jillian Michals says, Unless you puke, faint, or die....keep going!! That's what I tell myself when I'm about to quit a workout, I ask myself if I can keep on and if my body can handle it and most of the time YES it can.
    Keep going everybody!
  • roselynsy
    roselynsy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ive been doing my exercise and drinking my water thumbs up to everyone we can do this xx

i would love to do the 30 day shred but iv only been exercising for 10 days so think it might be a bit much (what do you guys think)