40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Friday reporting day again! Even though I am back on night shift (forever), I am really enjoying my workouts at the new gym. My eating is a bit better, which should bode well for my waistline. Stiring and I are challenging each other for the next several months. It's a bit unfair, since she is in such great shape already!! I guess I can alway use the "age" card if I need some sympathy. No need for that, though. Like clockwork, in 8 weeks or so I will be back in shape. I've set a goal and I'm sticking to it.

Tonight we are going to the German "Evergreen" Club for some good music and dancing. I haven't had anything to drink since last weekend, so I am looking forward to a Bier (or two).

Have a great weekend!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

Friday check-in.......I had a good week of workouts after not being able to workout for nearly two weeks (beyond just walking). I feel stronger and more energetic every day. My eating, on the other hand, has been horrible. That, combined with the fact that I always retain water when I go back to exercise after a break, has me feeling huge and terribly out of shape right now. Hopefully that will work as an incentive to get my eating back under control.

kbefit, join the challenge!!! We'd love to have you. I totally agree with tron in that your goal should be on how you feel, not on a number on the scale or a size. So there is no reason you can't feel more fit by the time you go to Florida!

TxMs, how fun that your photo was taken in Napa! I'm really looking forward to the trip. I've been to Napa a couple of times, and really enjoy how pretty it is up there. I've been missing California alot since we've been back in the US (even though we only lived in LA for 15 months), so this should be a nice trip back 'home' (even though it is at the other end of the state!).

tron, GREAT job on the workouts!! I've been hearing about the bad weather in California right now. Shoveling snow like that is NO fun. Hope your spring hits soon.

singfree, the challenge is ON! :drinker: And believe me, if you could see me right now, you wouldn't describe me as being in 'great shape'. :embarassed: But I'll get back there. I definitely don't like feeling this puffy, that's for sure. Hopefully I can stick with this challenge for a long time.....like you said 'months'! I'm going to try. Enjoy the German club. I had my first taste of wine this week since the New Year. It was a nice change, but I also think it has helped me feel bigger. :ohwell:

Off to do my workout for the day. I'm going to try a more intense cardio workout (maybe a little HiiT) and an upper body workout. We'll see how it goes!

Enjoy your weekend!
  • JuliaSoCal
    Options
    I SUCK at maintenance! I have upped my intake by 200 a day, and I have lost another pound and 1/2.

Who knew THAT would be a problem.

My brain has still not adjusted to more calorie intake... makes me uncofortable, and it seems I have add MORE back.

I am sure this is a good problem, but I dont like it...

Funny what we struggle with!

Julia
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Busy week at work and at home made it difficult to post this week. I am sooooo glad its Friday!:happy:
    So I have worked out three times at the gym this week and had two dog walking days, so I made my five days of exercise. YAY!
    Will try for one more tomorrow. :noway:
    Eating has been good but Ive noticed my sodium intake has been on the high side this week. Hope it doesn't effect the scale this week....:grumble:
    Plan next week to stay at or below 2500 on my sodium. I will do this by eating less processed food, packing homemade lunches instead of lean cuisines, and less canned products.
    I have an appt with the trainer at the club on Tuesday after work to go over a strength training program. Very excited!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well I never made it on the treadmill yesterday. I was so darn tired all day. Last night we lost power and it snowed 3ft over night. Its supposed to snow more tonight. My husband took the snow blower and did the driveway and parking pad. I usually shovel it but there was no way I was gonna do all that. So instead I cleaned off the back deck.

JuliaSoCal... Gosh I wish I had that problem right now. Haha!

Stiring... Your probably just retaining some water and whatever "puffiness" you feel will be gone in a few days.

I'm gonna weigh myself this Sunday. I dont think I'm gonna lose any weight because even though my exercise is better the eating still needs some help.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    beautiful day but the wind is blowing severely right now. Night everyone!
  • utahsis
    Options
    Hi there. I just discovered My Fitness Pal and found this thread. I hate how slowly my body responds to fitness and weight loss now that I'm part of the 40+ crowd! Sure enjoy the support of reading others' struggles as well. Thanks for the motiation.:happy:
  • lonestarsanta2003
    Options
    I have 2-3 motivations for helping myself. #1 Diabetes 2 is coming down the blood line-I wanna prolong it as much as possible
    #2 I want to be able to have fun with my kids/grandson and even on my nts out whatever I'm doing.#3 I don't like being in a depressive state of mind.I'm 44 and have degenerative arthritis in my knees so if I don't change something things aren't getting better.
  • LadyPersia
    Options
    scale is not moving. wt 145.8
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Figures I knew this would happen... I workout 3 days and shovel snow for an hour 2 days so that makes 5 days of some sort of exercise right.... And of course I GAIN 1.1 lbs.

Does anyone know how Duffy is doing? I need to check out her blog and see if she has written on it lately.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, I dont know what is going on with me. I just cant seem to find the time to post much here anymore. So sorry...I've been busy at work, home, with Zumba...crazy. I have also gone through some hard times with my exercise, lack of motivation due to my physical problems, thank God I am still teaching Zumba cause I am forced to do it!!!! I feel so much better after I do it. I am just so dissapointed I havent been doing any resistance trng. :cry: My eating, not too bad but it could be better. I definitely want to join the challenge!!!!! I am starting today!!!

Well, my husband spent the night in the hospital, he is still there. Might need to stay another night...we went out on Sat evening, he had a few drinks and we went to a mexican food place to eat, at 2:30am!!!! :noway: Well, he woke up with very strong heart palpitations, his BP was high and wouldnt come down and he had dull chest pain. I offered to drive him or even call an ambulance but he insisted to drive himself to the ER, which he did. He spent most of the day in the ER and then they moved him into the cardiac ward. All the tests have come back negative for a heart attack. They wanted to do a stress test today but since it is a Holiday that clinic is closed today. :noway: so they are debating whether or not to release him and he can get an appt later as outpatient or hold him until tomorrow so he can be tested. They put him back on his BP meds, he had stopped taking them for a while now since his BP was in "control". We'll see what happens.

Stiring, thanks for starting the challenge!!! I am in!!! Lately I have been feeling bloated as well and heavier. I am thinking about weighing myself, think I am going to do it either this Fri or the first Fri in March. I am curious to know how much "damage" to my weight I have caused lately. :grumble: I know it is not the best way but it is also relative to how my clothes fit, etc. And they are fitting a little tighter these days. :ohwell:

Sing, how was your weekend??? Congrats on your exercise!!!!

Julia, I remember losing weight when I had started maintenance and increased my calorie intake. Isnt that amazing? That eating more can help you lose weight? You will find your balance. As long as you continue eating healthy and exercising you will be fine. I might be dealing with some weight gain now but that is because I have decreased my exercise and have let go some with my eating habits, but I am fixing that soon!!!!!! :drinker:

Tron, Lady Persia, hang in there, dont give up!!!!

Welcome to all the new members of this group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Sorry I cannot respond to everyone.

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all! STILL not finished with the big project at work. Hopefully, last round of edits will be today and it can get to the printer.

Have not been doing so great with exercise. I found a spin plus yoga class that starts next week at one of the local rec centers. I am going to sign up for that. Also, took an old bike in to get it serviced so I can start riding.

Will be going to Miss. for the weekend to see family. My little sister is taking me to a step aerobics class. It was quite a workout when I did it last time I was there.

Officially turned 52 last Friday. I have been looking at triathlons in the area but they are all at times that I already have other plans. So, I will just do my own: 500 meters in the pool (easy for me), 13 miles on the bike (not so easy) and 3 mile run (hardest for me). I am shooting for early May. Will update you on my progess. Take care all! TxMs
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Happy belated birthday, Texassippian!

Thanks for all the protein and water suggestions. I did find a protein shake that I can tolerate a bit. It's Jay Robb's Whey Protein. He uses stevia as a sweetener (vs. sucralose/splenda or aspartame/equal). It still gags me a bit, but at least I'm not projectile vomiting anymore! I mix it in with some flavored iced coffee and it goes down pretty easily. I'm going to rework my coffee to give it fewer carbs, and try to drink at least two of those shakes per day. That will give me half of the protein I need in a day.

Now that water...it's another thing!

I got a hold of some Cheesecake Factory Dulce de Leche Cheesecake. I got it Saturday night and I'm still eating on it. I might be done with it by tomorrow. It's got a million carbs but boy, is that thing good! DON'T try it if you're not at goal, trust me!

Thank goodness--I'm back down under 160! Ok, it's 159.6 but I'll take it. I have been so incredibly swollen for the past several weeks. Now that the water retention is down, I feel normal again. I was holding on to about 10 lbs in water. That's a LOT.

I hope everyone's week is a terrific one!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

It's 1 am and I am at work...still trying to adjust to the new permanent schedule. Everything is going well with exercise and my diet is not TOO bad, although I can always get better!

Alf, I am so sorry to hear about your husband! I hope the stress test can help to determine a cause of this. When I passed out last year, the results of the tests were great, but they never proved what caused my problem. Just an educated guess...I think heath care has a long way to go!

I hope everone is well. Have a great day!
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'm 40+ too....glad to have found you. What's the challenge??
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everybody! I hope you all enjoyed a great weekend.

All here is going well. My sinus infection is officially gone, and I'm back to 100% in my workouts. :drinker: Now I just need to get my eating back under control, but I'm ready to do that which is a good sign. I know my eating won't be great this week due to going to California on Thursday, but I'm going to do my best to keep it under control.

I gave myself some great incentive for getting back into shape/getting my eating under control when I signed up to spend a weekend at Cathe Friedrich's (my DVD instructor of choice) gym in New Jersey in July. She holds annual 'Road Trips' at her gym, and I decided since I'm only living about 90 minutes away and I've been using her DVDs for something like 14 years, that I'd give it a go this year. There are something like 8 workouts over the span of three days, so I definitely need to make sure I'm in tip-top shape. I've never done anything like this before, but it should be fun! And, as silly as it sounds, I'm excited to finally meet the person I workout with almost daily. :ohwell:

tron, don't worry about the 1 pound weight gain. As I've said in the past, I ALWAYS retain water when I change my exercise routine. I was fighting that all of last week starting up working out again after having this sinus infection. So don't read too much into that and don't let it discourage you from working out. You are doing great things for your body and health!

alf, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! Please let us know how things are going. I hope he's doing better. :flowerforyou: I've been suffering some motivation problems lately, and I've not had the injuries you have. So I understand where you are at right now. I really wish I could find the enthusiasm I had two years ago for healthy eating (in particular), but I'm doing everything I can to try to keep myself motivated. The good thing is we've been at this for two years and neither of us have gone back to our previous ways. And I take comfort in that. Glad you like the challenge!!!

TxMs, Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I'm sorry this project at work is taking so long. I hope once it is over, you are able to get back to your workouts.

Victorious_One, I'm glad you found a protein powder you can tolerate. Hopefully that will help get you some more energy. As I've said before, drinking more water will help with energy as well. Good job with your weight!!

singfree, no doubt this permanent night shift is going to take some adjustment. I'm impressed you are doing so well with your workouts. Now that we've got the challenge on, hopefully that will help with the eating.

Lexie, welcome!!! Regarding the challenge, this thread is pretty open to whatever you want your own personal challenge to be. But sometimes a few of us will do a workout program together or whatever. Right now, a few of us have decided to start a healthy eating/workout challenge. Our goal is to eat no more than 10% of our daily calories in 'treat' foods AND to workout at least 5 days a week for 45 minutes. Please feel free to join in if you're interested! The more the merrier, that's for sure.

I've already done a Turbo Fire workouts this morning, and must get on to doing my lower body workout. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to workout at this conference this weekend. They days go from 7:00am to 9:00pm. :noway: And that's from Thursday thru Monday. But I'm going to try to get at least a couple of workouts in.....somehow.

Enjoy the day!
  • LadyPersia
    Options
    Welcome UTAHSIS

SNow has been shoveled and im sore. Kids back in school and they are saying we will have another storm friday:(

Hope everyone is well!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!!! My husband is right now waiting to get the stress test done. I will be going to the hospital soon to meet up with him. I am guessing they will not find anything. My husband needs to try to relax some more and not let things to get to him so easily. He can have a bad temper and holds grudges, etc. That is not good for anyone. I will keep you updated on the results. As of for me I have not done any kind of exercise since last Thu!!! I didnt teach last night cause the center was closed due to the Holiday. I am hoping I teach tonight so I can some exercise done. My eating was great yesterday until I grabbed the box of crunchy raisin bran and munched away...I was sooooo mad at myself...I'm trying I'm trying!!!!

Stiring, OMG, that sounds so exciting!!!!! I hope you get to take a picture with her. I would love to do that. I would love to meet Gilad, Tosca Reno, Cathe, and many others in the fitness industry. Have a great time in CA!! What kind of conference are you going to?

Sing, my God, hang in there, permanently on night shift? Yikes!!!! Good thing you are doing so well!!!

Tex, happy belated birthday!!! Have a great time with your family!!! You are quite the traveler!!!

Lexie, welcome!!! As Stiring said we have our very own personal challenges and just post here for motivation. But right now we have one that consists of exercising a minimum of 5 days a week for 45mins each and eating clean, healthy, avoiding any sweets, "junk" foods. Some of us monitor ourselves by how we feel and how are clothes fit, others weigh themselves about once a week. We report our weekly struggles, successes, challenges once a week on Fridays in addition to posting daily if we can.

Victorious, I am addicted to water. LOL I drink about a gallon a day, no kidding. But I know a lot of people struggle with drinking water, my husband is one of them. Water is the most important nutrient your body needs. Just try to increase it little by little daily.

Have a great day!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am glad to find a 40+ group. I like reading all the threads. I too have found it harder to loose the weight doing the same things I did 10 years ago that worked. Thanks for all the great posts.
  • pepper06
    Options
    alf-sorry to hear about your husband-what's the status-exercise????

Tron-That is funny to collect phones for the military & they can't use-good one-wonder what they are doing w/them?
    I replaced it for $15-as I am not due for an upgrade right now. I got a small basic phone which has everything except camera, radio. For now this basic model is working just fine-at least I have a chip now.

Well, my stitches are out-can barely tell where the cut is just a little sore up there. She said to let it scab over and then use vit E, but I don't see ANY signs of a scab forming yet and it has been a week.:ohwell:

I am trying to see about purchasing ticket/tickets for AL, but the prices have gone up just like the gas prices-OUCH! I hope I can find something or it may entail driving 2x this year back and forth-I was hoping for driving 1x. :sad:

I forgot to weigh in Friday-overslept and had to get to work. My inlaws came Thurs and left yesterday, so I enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine during their stay, made meals of good foods so that was a plus-we had very nice visit.

Well until later have a good one....at least we have sun today!