Hidden dangers of fruit! Seriously read this....

Options
The old adage that your body is a temple is well known and still has relevance today. Without a solid foundation a temple cannot be successfully constructed and will eventually collapse. The same holds true for the human body. We at ISSA strive to educate our trainers regarding the synergism between proper exercise, nutrition and behavior modification to effectively draw their clientele into not just a good lifestyle, or even a better lifestyle, but the best way of life; a fitness lifestyle.

The importance of nutrition is imperative as the foundation of any successful fitness program. The core of this foundation should be based around food. Just as certain compounds are necessary to build a solid foundation in a building, specific foods are necessary to build a solid nutritional foundation. Since we have already discussed which foods aid in building this foundation through past articles, we will focus our attention on why certain foods that are considered healthy, actually may not aid in fat reduction.

Why Fruits Are Important!

With the advent of so many nutritional approaches to achieve the ideal look, numerous inquiries regarding the practice of omitting fruit, fruit juices or any of its derivatives from a diet have surfaced. Fruit is a healthy food, full of nutrients, high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and low in fat and calories. It is a common practice for bodybuilders during pre-contest preparation to omit fruit from their diets, as it should be for anyone looking to minimize body fat. We will discuss the chemistry behind the efficacy of this practice.

Find Out How Many Calories You Are Burning, Click Here!
Our bodies can only absorb monosaccharides (glucose, galactose, or fructose), the single units of sugars and starches. Once absorbed through the small intestines into the portal vein, and then circulated into the bloodstream through the liver as blood glucose, our bodies can put glucose to work in three ways.

The Three Ways Our Bodies Put Glucose To Work:

It can burn the glucose immediately for energy if blood glucose levels are not at a stable level of 20 grams blood borne glucose circulating per hour.
If it is not needed for energy immediately, then it is converted into glycogen in the liver or muscles. The liver has the capacity to store 100 grams of glycogen. The muscles have the capacity to store between 250-400 grams of glycogen, depending on muscle mass and physical condition. Liver glycogen supplies energy for the entire body. Muscle glycogen only supplies energy to muscles.
If the body has an excess of glucose, and all of the glycogen stores are full, the surplus glucose is converted to fat by the liver and stored as adipose tissue (bodyfat) around the body. If needed, fatty acids can be burned as fuel (BUT the fat cannot be converted back to glucose).
Now that we have outlined how our bodies use glucose, we will discuss why fruit (fructose or fruit sugar) is detrimental in an attempt to maximize fat loss. Since muscles have the specific purpose of contraction, they have a limited number of enzymes for glycogen synthesis. Muscle only has the necessary enzymes to convert glucose (and nothing else) into glycogen. The liver, however, is able to make glycogen from fructose, lactate, glycerol, alanine, and other three-carbon metabolites. Muscle glycogen, which is similar in structure to starch, is an amylopectin (branched chained polymer containing hundreds of glucose units). Unlike muscles, which can only supply energy to themselves through the stored 250-400 grams of glycogen, the liver is responsible for supplying energy to the entire body.

If You Have Fruit, Fruit Juice, Or Any Of Its Derivatives, The Following Conditions Occur:

Referring to the three ways the body uses glucose, assuming that blood glucose levels are adequate, the glucose will then be stored as glycogen. Muscle does not have the necessary enzymes to synthesize fructose into glycogen; therefore the liver converts this fructose into liver glycogen. It would only take three, 8-ounce glasses of orange juice to fully replenish liver glycogen stores. Since the liver is responsible for supplying energy to the entire body, once its stores are full, a rate limiting enzyme in glucose metabolism, which is responsible for signaling the body to store glucose as glycogen or convert it to fat (phosphofructokinase), signals the body that all stores are full. If the glycogen stores are signaled as full, then the third way our body uses excess glucose is to convert it to fatty acids and store as adipose tissue. In essence, fruit sugar is easily converted to fat.

Many may be asking why then is fruit low on the glycemic index? If it does not cause a sudden release of insulin, then how could it ever be a poor food choice? Once the fructose (fruit sugar) enters the liver and liver glycogen is already full, then it cannot be used by the muscles for glycogen or energy production.

It is converted to fat and released back into the bloodstream to be stored as adipose tissue. The low glycemic response is based on the fact that fructose leaves the liver as fat, and fat does not raise insulin levels.

Search Our Huge Food Nutrient Database Of Over 6000 Foods!
This is the biochemistry behind the recommendations to limit fruit in your diet. As mentioned, fruit is a very nutritious food full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and low in calories and fat. If your goal is to exclusively to minimize bodyfat, then it is advisable that you consume more complex carbohydrates, which will go to replenishing muscle glycogen stores rather than fruit, which will only replenish liver glycogen stores, and is useless in muscle glycogen replenishment.

References

1. Costill DL, Sherman WM, Fink WJ, Witten MW, and Miller JM. The role of dietary carbohydrates in muscle glycogen resynthesis after strenuous running. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 34: 1831-1836, 1981.

2. Shafrir E. Fructose/sucrose metabolism, its physiological and pathological implications. Sugars and Sweeteners, Kretchmer N and Hollenbeck CB, Eds. CRC Press, 1991pp. 63-98.

3. Herbert V, Subak-Sharpe GJ. Total Nutrition: The Only Guide You'll Ever Need. St Martins Press, 1987 pp. 54-55.

Replies

• superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sure, sure, yes but answer this....how did you get that body??!! :love:
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    bump

(i'm a fruit addict and have not been keeping up w/ the other side of the argument)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading. thanks for posting this. looks like very interesting info!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This article backs up what I have been saying for the past 2 years on this site. We should be eating more vegetables than fruit.

Fruit should be treated like a dessert. Something we have "on occasion", not as a staple in our daily eating plan.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have many servings of fruit every day. In addition to the pounds I have lost, my blood sugar is no longer in a dangerous range, my cholesterol is now at a helthy level, and my body fat percentage has dropped drastically (more than 20% lost)

Fruit is good for you. Whole grains are good for you. A varied, produce filled diet is good for you.

Eliminating a whole food group, or restricting intake on it's perceived "bad" qualities is absurd.
  • dunztar
    Options
    Sure, sure, yes but answer this....how did you get that body??!! :love:

Haha I too was distracted by the pictures.
  • cm80123
    cm80123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have many servings of fruit every day. In addition to the pounds I have lost, my blood sugar is no longer in a dangerous range, my cholesterol is now at a helthy level, and my body fat percentage has dropped drastically (more than 20% lost)

Fruit is good for you. Whole grains are good for you. A varied, produce filled diet is good for you.

Eliminating a whole food group, or restricting intake on it's perceived "bad" qualities is absurd.

*LIKE*
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you are trying to lose every bit of fat for a competition, or some such goal, but for your average person who wants to lose weight, eliminating fruit as a snack or menu choice I feel is absurd. I'm not doubting the science behind glucose metabolism, but let's appreciate fruit for the healthy smart food choice that it is. Personally if I eliminated fruit as a snack, or side dish, it would likely be replaced with something less beneficial and be counterproductive to my goals.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    ^

This
  • tristinsue
    Options
    Fruit is not just fructose and it is good to eat fruit after workouts. It gives your body the energy it needs and replenishes you. If you are really trying to bulk up eating fruit can aid in your body storing little amounts of fat. For the average person trying to loose weight it is ridiculous to think of fruit as dangerous. Moderation is the key in loosing weight. Fruit is a great source of nutrients and energy for your body if you are trying to build muscle or just trying to loose weight.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE to eat fruits! I like the sweet taste of the fruits and I know that I get a lot of good nutrients from them. I will NOT be eliminating and/or severely restricting an entire food group from my way of life. I feel that in order to maintain a healthy weight, we need to include ALL food groups. We should be more focused on being HEALTHY people in the long run instead of JUST on losing weight quickly.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I personally LOVE to eat fruits! I like the sweet taste of the fruits and I know that I get a lot of good nutrients from them. I will NOT be eliminating and/or severely restricting an entire food group from my way of life. I feel that in order to maintain a healthy weight, we need to include ALL food groups. We should be more focused on being HEALTHY people in the long run instead of JUST on losing weight quickly.

The point of the article is about bein more healthy. Eating a lot of fruit doesn't make you healthy and puts a lot of sugar in your body that you don't necessarily "need".

We should be replacing the fruit servings with extra vegetable servings.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I'd rather people eat fruit than fast food.

Eat a rainbow a day. That's my motto.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Aye when I'm craving something sweet and I go for a fruit it's a victory, considering my previous choices were chocolate bars, hard candies, gummie candies etc which being basically sugar, but having none of fruits micro-nutrients or other benefits "helped" me to reach the weight I did.

I'll keep eating my fruit and enjoy every morsel.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    This is absolute BULL!!!!. Yes your science is correct but your reasoning is flawed. Fruit is good for you. And part of the reason it doesn't raise insulin levels is because of all of the fiber and water in fruit makes the glucose absorbed at a slower rate. Unless you eat like 4 watermellons in a single sitting you will not be sending the glucose from fruit out of the liver as adipose tissue. We use the glucose from fruit fairly fast as it gets realeased from the intestine to the liver. Don't believe this anyone! 3-4 healthy servings of fruit a day is good for anyone. I agree that you shouldn't eat the whole watermellon is one sitting but its a hell of a lot better than eating the whole bag of chips. I eat lots of fruit, and have a 1400 calorie diet with a 1900 calroie BMR. I lose anywhere from 3-7 pounds a week when i stick to it. I am a pre-med student and i don't believe this crap you are trying to fed people. I have had so many biology classes and biochemistry classes and i don't believe your reasoning is correct. You have the right science but it would take huge amounts of fruit for the body to send it out of the liver as fat!!!! Limit refined sugar because that is the culprit here!!!!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    So... can we please have a show of hands from all those people who became morbidly obese from snacking on too many apples??? :huh:
  • Grokette
    Options
    This is absolute BULL!!!!. Yes your science is correct but your reasoning is flawed. Fruit is good for you. And part of the reason it doesn't raise insulin levels is because of all of the fiber and water in fruit makes the glucose absorbed at a slower rate. Unless you eat like 4 watermellons in a single sitting you will not be sending the glucose from fruit out of the liver as adipose tissue. We use the glucose from fruit fairly fast as it gets realeased from the intestine to the liver. Don't believe this anyone! 3-4 healthy servings of fruit a day is good for anyone. I agree that you shouldn't eat the whole watermellon is one sitting but its a hell of a lot better than eating the whole bag of chips. I eat lots of fruit, and have a 1400 calorie diet with a 1900 calroie BMR. I lose anywhere from 3-7 pounds a week when i stick to it. I am a pre-med student and i don't believe this crap you are trying to fed people. I have had so many biology classes and biochemistry classes and i don't believe your reasoning is correct. You have the right science but it would take huge amounts of fruit for the body to send it out of the liver as fat!!!! Limit refined sugar because that is the culprit here!!!!

For people that are sensitive, it doesn't take much fruit to raise insulin levels and it is also a known fact that too much sugar whether it is in the form of fructose or sucrose can lead to leptin resistance which makes losing weight and getting insulin levels under control.

I had an A1C of 8.9% and extremely high triglycerides. Limiting fruit to 1 small serving no more than 3 times a week, raising protein and fat intake and eating a lot of vegetables has my triglycerides down to 46 and my A1C is now 4.7%.

I was told by both an endocrinologist and a registered dietician to limit my fruit intake that much and to increase my vegetable intake, along with protein and natural fats.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So... can we please have a show of hands from all those people who became morbidly obese from snacking on too many apples??? :huh:

hahahahaah........
    good one!
    hahahaha
  • Grokette
    Options

Yes, I can say the amount of fruit I used to eat lead to my weight gain due to being insulin resistant and then becoming a full blown diabetic.

I used to eat at least 4-5 servings of fruit per day, plus a lot of low fat and low protein foods and I ended up gaining about 140 pounds.