ways to sweeten a smoothie

Options
ambie35
ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
I have always been a picky fruit eater,so I have been trying to up my fruit intake by having smoothies a couple of times a week. I put a frozen fruit mix in with yogurt and milk. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for interesting smoothie recipes (ways to up the protein perhaps?) and ways to sweeten a smoothie (would simply adding a tablespoon of sugar be okay?)

Replies

• shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love a strawberry banana smoothie with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. I get my protein and it helps sweeten the smoothie.

Also instead of sugar i would suggest a spoonful of splenda!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd say let the fruit do the sweetening but if you absolutely have to put something in it, go for honey or agave as these are less processed than regular sugar. Vanilla protein powder blends well with just about everything too :)
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try Blue Agave. It tastes just like sugar but you use less. And it's all natural.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    try not to use refined sugar. Honey, agave nectar, truvia, etc.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    1 cup water
    1 scoop protein powder of choice (I use body fortress cookies n cream or strawberry)
    1/4 cup silhouette 0+ cherry yougurt
    4-5 frozen strawberries or berry of choice
    1 tbsp ground flax seed
    1 tsp cinammon
    1 small bananna

its plenty sweet to the taste and is an awesome way to recover from a workout. The cinammon is a great blood sugar stabilizer so make sure to add it to your diet to avoid those blood sugar dips try adding it to coffee if you drink it or tea.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    honey, molasses, or peanut butter :)
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    My fav. is vanilla low or no fat yogurt with a banana, frozen strawberries, and ice.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Bananas have a high sugar content so they add a lot of sweetness to a smoothie. They seem to work better if you put them in frozen.

Honey is also good.
  • ambie35
    Options
    thanks,I just bought honey yesterday for my tea,and I have some frozen bananas in my freezer right now.
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    I don't know if you have ever tried stevia It is an all natural sweetner. Unlike equal or splenda it has no chemicals in it 1/4 of a teaspoon is one serving and it sweetens things nicely....
  • 2Campbells
    Options
    Stevia is all natural and a little goes a long way. I use nothing else in smoothies. It's great with fuit. No calories and it adds fiber.

Carefull with the honey. Honey purchased in a grocery store can have added corn syrup not labeled. Get dark honey from a local beekeeper or farmersmarket.

I don't use any dairy in my smooties. Just fruit and stevia. My favorite has frozen mango, peaches, strawberries, and Stevia. If I'm using it as a recovery snack after a hard workout then I have a left over chicken breast or peice of lean steak or salmnon for protein.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I switched to Dannon Light and Fit yogurts and found I do not need a sweetner... I use the yogurt , fruit of choice (frozen) and 1% milk ...delicious.
  • deeanne22
    Options
    fruit juice or squash?
  • ambie35
    Options
    just made my morning smoothie ,added half a banana and a tbsp of honey-it finally hit my sweet tooth! :)
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have a really good one if you like apple pie!

1 small apple, chopped (I usually leave the skin on but you can peel it.)
    1 container vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup skim milk
    1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
    a couple shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg
  • ambie35
    Options
    that "apple pie" smoothie sounds really good.
  • radelmann
    Options
    Hi,
    I use 1/2 cup V8 Fusion Light juices (such as pomegranate/blueberry and acai/mixed berry) with a frozen banana, 1/2 cup of what ever other frozen fruit I have (I mix them all for variety). I taste it before I add sweetener, because most of the time it doesn't need it, but if it does I use applesausce, honey or agave.

PS: I can't wait to try the "apple pie" smoothie (yum!) Thanks Marha
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My smoothies are usually: (with variations base on my moods)

3oz of natural cranberry and raspberry juice or pomogranite if I have it
    1/2 cup of orgnaic vanilla yogurt (this makes the smoothie sweeter)
    1 small banana-fresh or frozen
    1/2 cup frozen fruit: blueberries, strawberries, mango or pineapple--sometimes all mixed for 1/2 cup or just one
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That apple pie smoothie made me think of my poached pears, Hmmmm, wonder if I could make that into a good tasting smoothie? Gotta try it, Ayuh!

Poached pears: I usually make a double recipe at a time

V8Fusion light (or generic) Pomegranate Blueberry juice 1/2 cup
    put in Sauce pan and bring to slow boil
    Add Cinnamon and Nutmeg to taste
    Mix well
    Cut/Peel/Core 2 Anjou or Bartlett Pears
    Add Pears to juice
    Simmer to low boil to reduce juice to about 1/2
    Eat warm or cold Delish either way

Maybe take left overs out of fridge and blend to make smoothie, :-)
  • 4crazykids
    Options
    has anyone tried the Jillian Michaels protein powder? if so, any suggestions on flavor (choc. vs. van.) and how to make a good smoothie with it?