High Protein / Low Carb?

Options
Just want to know if a high protein low carb diet is the way to go? my friend is doing this and has lost tons of weight but shes doing no cardio and just loads of weight training plus having zero carbs in her diet inclding no ketchup!

Iv been trying to reduce my carb intake for a week now and i feel less lathargic already but im also doing some cardio. I want to slim and tone. My partner says he could see almost 2 inches difference off my legs already. i just want to know if this method of eating is actually good for you.

Im not planning on going down the atkins route because im still eating veg and some carbs, im just limiting my carbs after lunch.

Replies

• samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    What does bump mean? i keep seeing it
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    If you're doing heavy weight training, then yes, more protein/less carbs is the way to go. I don't think cutting out carbs all together is a good idea for the long haul however. Also, an excessively high protein diet for a prolonged period of time can be harmful as well. The trick is to find the right balance so your muscles are getting the fuel they need without overkill.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    Hi!
    I am personally going the low carb route. I found that it's the way of living that works best for me overall. Atkins has actually started incorporating veggies in their diet even in the induction phase. You should do more research on it. Each persons' body responds differently to certain foods. What may not work for some, works extremely well for others. Just keep doing what you're doing. If exercise is added into your plan, then that makes it all the better. You can lose a lot of inches on the low carb way of living.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you. I'm one of those people that thrives on a lower carb type diet - I'm awesome with fatty proteins and dense crunchy veggies. My head is clearer, I have more energy... Some people are the opposite - a low carb style life leaves them feeling ill. So, if you are feeling great then keep it up. The biggest thing is making sure you get the proper nutrients and your body is functioning well.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet a few yrs back and lost 30 lbs in 2 months.
    I certainly felt so much better doing it.
    Now I follow what would probably be considered phase 3 of the SB diet for th emost part. I eat few carbs and limit simple sugars. If I eat a bread I try to stick to just 1 serving a day, and make it a whole grain.. that sort of thing. Occasionally Ill have a dessert.
    I do feel much better this way, the difference was very tell tale.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Bump means someone wants to keep an eye on the thread. Replying automatically subscribes you to future responses. :)

Low carb is ok, but no carb isn't good. Carbs are fuel for your body, and you need them to be healthy. Also, you have to keep in mind your long-term goals. Cutting out carbs is great for a quick weight loss, but it's not sustainable for the long-term because when you add the carbs back in, you'll regain the weight. (My parents have done this 3 times now.) Carbs are not evil -- they're good for you! You just need to make sure you're eating complex carbs instead of simple carbs (whole grains rather than white bread, etc.) and make sure you're getting a good amount of protein to go along with it.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options

It means either that the person is trying to keep this thread near the top of the "recent posts" list (so that there's a greater chance that folks will see it and reply to it), or that they want to add a post to the thread so that it's listed in their "my topics" list (so that they'll be able to find it when they want to come back and see what's on the thread).
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No. Not good. You might as well throw the protein in the garbage. For each gram of protein to be used by your body, it needs 4 grams of carbos. When your protein is high, it is only filling your stomach, but not being used by your body (so its not fueling muscles/muscle growth without the carbs present). It stresses your digestive system (but you may not feel it) and other organs. A balanced low-fat diet with real food and a variety of exercise (cardio and strength) is the way to go. "They" say 30% calories from fat, but from many health experts, that is too high. Use this site, set your weight loss goal (1 to 1.5 pounds lost per week is safe and managable without stressing out) and you will get there. It will take longer than your friends method, but you will be at your goal when she is still pounding the weights eating a rigid diet and you'll be used to a healthy diet, fun exercise, and enjoying your accomplishment. Think of this, the extra weight that you want to lose--how long did it take to put on? It may take that long to burn it off. Don't expect overnight success, but demand success in the end. GOOD LUCK!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do lots of cardio (Insanity). I am also nursing (just to give you and idea of MY needs). I do higher protein/ lower carbs and that seems to work well. When I eat carbs, they are quality complex carbs...like beans or sweet potato. I also eat fruit. I think you should concentrate on eating foods that are good for you (good fats, good carbs, lean protein, & colorful fruits and veggies).
    Hope that helps!
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. I did South Beach two years ago and did AMAZING on it!!! So I kind of started doing it again this year, only I've modified it a bit. I watch my starches, white-floured stuff. I try to stay away from bread and pasta, but limit to special occasions only. I make a lot of salads, lean meats, and veggies for my meals. Breakfast can be a bit of a challenge because I love cereal - so I usually eat oatmeal+almonds during winter or Egg white omelets with turkey bacon. I love protein shakes, but usually eat them with a light meal. Most of all, I try to REALLY watch processed stuff - that's where I get in to trouble.

Just like what you said, I feel TONS better. Carbs kill me. The Low carb way is not for everyone, but I find it really helps me. I have energy, I found a lot of stuff I like to eat, and it helps with watching my sodium too.

I do cardio and free weights for my work outs.
  • babygtbck14
    babygtbck14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Low carb works! I just wish I could stick with it. It is really hard to do, but once you get over the feeling that you MUST have sugar it gets easier. I lost 30 pounds the low carb way but quickly put it back on after starting to eat them again. Have you looked into the South Beach Diet? It is a little less restrictive then the Atkins way..More veggies are involved. I did find that if you really stick with eggs, and other forms of protein, without eating carbs in the very beginning you really drop weight fast. It is really hard though because like you said you can't even have ketchup..too much sugar in it.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The short answer to your question is yes, that is the way to go. How many gms carbs are you consuming?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    No. Not good. You might as well throw the protein in the garbage. For each gram of protein to be used by your body, it needs 4 grams of carbos. When your protein is high, it is only filling your stomach, but not being used by your body (so its not fueling muscles/muscle growth without the carbs present).

Where did you get this info? In the absence of carbs protein can and will be converted to glucose and will be used by your body like carbs. This process known as gluconeogenesis, does take more energy, thus your net caloric intake is actually less.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No. Not good. You might as well throw the protein in the garbage. For each gram of protein to be used by your body, it needs 4 grams of carbos. When your protein is high, it is only filling your stomach, but not being used by your body (so its not fueling muscles/muscle growth without the carbs present). It stresses your digestive system (but you may not feel it) and other organs. A balanced low-fat diet with real food and a variety of exercise (cardio and strength) is the way to go. "They" say 30% calories from fat, but from many health experts, that is too high. Use this site, set your weight loss goal (1 to 1.5 pounds lost per week is safe and managable without stressing out) and you will get there. It will take longer than your friends method, but you will be at your goal when she is still pounding the weights eating a rigid diet and you'll be used to a healthy diet, fun exercise, and enjoying your accomplishment. Think of this, the extra weight that you want to lose--how long did it take to put on? It may take that long to burn it off. Don't expect overnight success, but demand success in the end. GOOD LUCK!

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/11/26/higher-protein-lower-carbohydrate-diets-win-in-the-war-on-weight/

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/06/25/study-reminds-us-of-the-superior-performance-of-low-carb-diets-over-low-fat-ones-for-weight-loss/
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have refused for a long time to do anything like this / i used to be on ww , and i used to co unt kcls etc but somehow refused to count carbs/protein .. thinking that's a " diet " i don't want to be on a diet.. :)

it is the way to go. I don't know if i could be on a 0 gram of carbs - how can you be on 0 carbs ? if you are eating veggies you get carbs .. if you have even a protein drink and protein bar - you still get a few carbs .. so you can't really be on a 0 carb unless all you eat is eggwhites ? ?

My carbs - before i started watching them - were above 200 gm a day ! my protein was bets. 40-50-maybe 60 gm a day

since i lowered the carbs- my goal is to be below 120 gm - which is i think not " extreme " but still lower than what i u sed to be on .. - increase the protein to about 100 gm a day

i'm full- i don't feel so " hungry " all the time , i don't eat sweets and don't crave them !

i dont' know but it looks like this will be the way to go ..
  • supermariocycling
    supermariocycling Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @ lodro. Thanks for the articles. The person who posted this asked if high protein/low carb is the way to go. My answer was solid. Its not the way to go. The links you provide show studies of which diets work the best for weight loss. High protein/low carb will drop the weight faster almost every time. I don't argue that. However, is that the way to go? I don't think so. Usually people on these diets go for the obvious high protein food: meat (and some cheeses). Not good. High in cholesterol, low in nutrients, rough on your system and colon. To make up for the nutrients, the high protein diets have you on a vitamin supplement regimine. Its ok to get some vitamins/minerals from supplements, but they are always best from the source--the food. If high protein seekers ate bunch of beans/legumes for protein they'd probably get sick. The best 'diet' is not a diet at all, eat how we evolved--tons of veggies, fruit for quick fuel (which also satisfies sweet cravings), complex carbs for sustained energy (brown rice, ancient grains, whole wheats--which also provide a lot of protein), no to very little processed carbs, very little white carbs (white bread/rice/potatoes), legumes , and if you have to, fish/other meats (but non processed) for protein, some nuts/seeds which have protein and necessary oils (omega). Contrary to popular belief (and the latest caveman diet trend), we did not evolve on meat (no refridgeration, lack of technology to hunt, no mass farming to feed herds, etc). No, I am not an animal rights activist. Civilizations of the past, and even our grandparents, ate meat sparingly, and on "occasions" and when they could afford it. Our digestive systems are not equipped to digest high protein diet meat quantities without something going wrong--eventually. You can eat masses and masses of vegetables which are LOW in calories, but nutrient dense. The weight will fall off, naturally.

Low carb diets end up low calorie diets because you eat less--and what you do eat (mainly protein) goes in one end and out the other because most of the calories in the protein/meat aren't counting because they don't digest/get processed without 4x the carbs. Its a high cholesterol-kidney-stone-causing-low-nutrient math equation that ends up low cal, low nutrition.
  • 0mega60
    0mega60 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    can i get invited to this group..?..hee
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So this discussion will boil down to what you meant by "way to go". Yes, in the short term, eating very little carbs can put your body into ketosis and you will burn your body fat (there is a lot I'm leaving out, but that's the basics). However, like supermario said, it may not be the best over the long term. What are your goals? Short term? Long term? How much do you exercise? There are a lot of questions that go into this high protein or high carb diet. It will all depend on your goals, and needs.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    For me personally, too many carbs mean I gain weight, feel sluggish and have a bit of a mental "fog".

Too few carbs and I have no energy and can't complete my workouts or even keep up with the day to day stuff.

To figure out roughly how many I need to feel my best I cut carbs back to almost nothing for several days. It only takes me about three before I start feeling the effects of the super low carb drain. I began to slowly up my carb intake until I was feeling good and strong but not gaining weight. For me it lands at right around 100 carbs a day, higher when I'm working out harder. Some days I get more and some days I get less but I try to keep it roughly around there with plenty of protein as I need a lot of that to feel good too. I do try to eat mainly whole, unprocessed foods and don't do refined sugar or artificial sweeteners.

But then my goals aren't strictly weight loss. I want to be healthy and feel good and this is the way I feel my best. Hopefully over time the weight will gradually come off but I will pay attention to my diet and tweak it as necessary.

Good luck figuring out what works for you!