Washing your hair

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    i workout 5-6 days a week hard, soaking wet hard. i wash my hair 2-3 times a week with shampoo & conditioner and in between just use conditioner only. some days i put my hair up to shower only. my hair was really dry and brittle when i washed everyday. my hair looks best day after working out and not washing it.

Same here.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i workout 5-6 days a week hard, soaking wet hard. i wash my hair 2-3 times a week with shampoo & conditioner and in between just use conditioner only. some days i put my hair up to shower only. my hair was really dry and brittle when i washed everyday. my hair looks best day after working out and not washing it.

Do you put any other products in your hair to style it??? I find this very interesting and might try it!!!
  • miatyler
    Options
    Sure. Thanks. Rub it in.

Awww, poor RoadDog....a little hair envy???
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have long hair and its too fine to wash every day. However I do shower everyday and give it a rinse if I've worked out.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

Since it's -30 outside right now I can't go out unless my hair is 100% dry.. so washing it everyday means washing, conditioning and blow drying.

washing takes almost no time. blow drying it out nicely does. Plus I wear a lot of fancy braids and up-dos and they work best with hair that was washed the day before
  • millyliza
    millyliza Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wash every night, can't stand a nasty sweaty head
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair with Loreal Sulfate free shampoo... keeps from drying out and keeps it healthy! I think its called EverPure. Amazing stuff.

I use this as well and I feel a change in my hair... for the better!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

Uh yeah, I don't think anyone is saying they don't shower regularly. I pay a lot of money (too much, in fact) on my hair and my stylist and colorist both tell me not to wash more than every other day. They say if I can go 2 days without washing it that's even better. And they've also recommended the dry shampoos. I've been doing Bikram yoga lately, so I've been breaking that rule, but normally skipping a day is a good idea if you have regular or dry hair. If I really feel sweaty I'll rinse and condition, but no shampoo. If I were to wash and style my hair everyday it would look like straw. I don't think that's a "much better" look for most women.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to wash my hair daily or I feel GROSS! When you workout each day, it's a have to for me. I'm a Paul Mitchell girl (my husband use to cut hair & still keeps his license up so we can go to the beauty supply stores to get it much cheaper than any salon) & I haven't had any trouble with mine.
  • dlynn08
    Options
    Wow! A lot of feedback on this one! Thanks for all the tips guys!
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If my hair is feeling pretty un fesh after a work out I will rinse it on non wash days. I have also started using apple cider vinegar to help remove any extra build up on the days that I do wash. I only use shampoo on my roots and conditions on the ends. It has been helping a lot!
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This definitely depends on your hait type.
    I have very fine hair that gets greasy if I don't wash it for a day (even if I don't exercise), and if I do exercise (which is the norm for me), then it gets terribly greasy.
    The thing about not washing your hair is so you don't strip away the natural oils, but if you have very thin or fine hair, then you produce enough of those oils to keep it pretty hydrated even with daily washing. Thick-haired girls can go longer without washing their hair.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I shower daily except usually Sundays. So I'm washing my hair every day. My hair is fine.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i shower everyday but only wash my hair 2-3 times a week or else it gets grossly greasy!!
    I also wear my hair up while i work out which makes my hair not get sweaty from my neck!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    I've always washed my hair every day with no issue, working out usually puts me at 2 a day. I also condition everyday (which some people worry makes their hair oily.) If dryness is an issue you might want to dry conditioning everyday. if you blow dry too you may want a heat activated shampoo.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    for most of last year, and part of the year before that, i was severly anemic, which meant a shower was actually bad for me. all that warmth would make the blood rush to my skin and boom, dizziness ensued. so of course, not wanting to pass out in the shower, i got scared of even taking showers. so i would only shower about once a week, and use wet wipes and dry shampoo inbetween. but even then, i wouldn't do the shampoo often as i have pretty thick hair. it's pretty darn healthy, but has always been staticy. my anemia is better under control now, but i am still in the habit of not showering everyday. i ususally wash my hair twice a week, maybe 3 if it needs it, but my hair is so used to not being washed that it looks great for days. and when it comes to working out, i use a clip to keep my hair up and off my neck, and then give my neck a nice cooling wipedown before i let my hair back down. showers just don't have the wonderful feeling for me anymore, so i guess as long as i don't stink (and my family would tell me if i did :P) then i am good.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

I would just like to clarify that "young pretty ladies" who do not wash their hair daily are not neccessarily not showering. But, as someone else above stated, it is time consuming to blow dry and/or whatever else needs to follow the hair washing. Plus, it is perfectly natural to have some oil in the hair, it is a natural protectant for the skin and hair. Consistantly washing it away can be damaging to the skin, taking away from its natural healthy state. Everyone is different and is entitled to treat themselves the way they choose. I just want to be clear that not washing hair daily has nothing to do with someones "cleanliness". Plus, cleanliness does not make you look better if you are all dry and flaky with a snow shower falling from your head and coating your shoulders. Eww.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken the time to read all the responses, so I apologize if any of this is redundant.

I am a hairdresser, and here is my opinion.

Sweat and oil might seem gross, but its not. I wash my hair every 3rd day, and I workout HARD and sweat a lot. I do shower daily, but I only rinse my hair with water. If it feels like it needs freshening up, you can actually wash with conditioner. I did notice someone recommended the Wen system - essentially, that is the concept behind Wen - it is a low detergent hair enhancer. It doesn't lather, it just helps loosen debris without stripping the hair down to oil-free squeaky clean.

So, I often times will rinse my hair with conditioner to freshen it up - I massage it right into my scalp and rinse it right out.

My hair is shiny, silky, and lays in luscious, smooth locks when I do this.

I do understand needing squeaky clean hair, though - I really look forward to my wash every 3 days - it is soo refreshing.

There are some granola gals I've known that NEVER wash their hair. Only rinse it. It sounds crazy doesn't it? The hair is really different after that, too - water just beads up on it - you can hardly wet it down.

So there is my two cents. There is no right or wrong answer - wash your hair when its dirty. If you're concerned about drying it out or fading your color prematurely, try rinsing or washing with conditioner only and see what happens.
  • Fineraziel
    Options
    Speaking about hair and shampoo... I have always had big issues with my hair (damaged, oily, dandruffs...). :S I have tried many products but never found anything that would really make my hair look "wow!".

One day (a couple of weeks ago), I tried my baby's shampoo (since my shampoo bottle was empty! :P). And actually, I noticed my hair were looking great! :) Since then, I use baby shampoo almost every times (but sometimes I need H&S! :P), and my hair is much better! :D

Anyone doing the same or am I a freak ? XD Or would you be kind enough to share your "secret beauty shampoo" ???
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i have oily hair, if i dont wash it everyday it gets gross so, i was mine everyday regardless...