MFP Cycling Gang 9/15/08

Options
NEW WEEK!

Got back on the bike today and got in 7.8 miles before I gave it up. Too hot/too humid/too windy. Tomorrow is supposed to turn cool though! excited.gif

What's everyone else up to this week?

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    NEW WEEK!

Got back on the bike today and got in 7.8 miles before I gave it up. Too hot/too humid/too windy. Tomorrow is supposed to turn cool though! excited.gif

What's everyone else up to this week?
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm going to set a goal of 45 miles this week.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    took last week off after my century... back on the bike this week!!! no goals for mileage.. just enjoyment!

happy riding!:bigsmile:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Goal: 100 miles.

8.5 miles on my bike trainer this morning.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Back and starting strong!
    27 mile ride today, though it was a bit painful. I let a friend of mine take lead and he ended up getting us lost when he had a "ooh, I wonder what's down this road" moment and it took us a LONG way out of our way. But the 1300 calories it burnt were well worth it - it doubled my daily calorie allowance! :laugh:
    Hellloooooooooooo oreos!
  • shorerider
    Options
    got in 23 miles this morning and the devil started spitting at me half-way through (that means I got rained on :tongue: ). got a new high of 17.45mph today though!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    got in 23 miles this morning and the devil started spitting at me half-way through (that means I got rained on :tongue: ). got a new high of 17.45mph today though!

Sheesh, slow down you maniac! :laugh:
    How'd your bike handle in the rain?
  • shorerider
    Options
    Sheesh, slow down you maniac! :laugh:
    How'd your bike handle in the rain?

Had no problem with handling. I've been doing shorter rides but really pushing the speed to get ready for the bike leg of the Tri I've got coming in on Sept. 27.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Well I got in 50 miles yesterday!

Our metric centery ride is a week from Saturday...that will be the most I have ever done at one time!!!!
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    New to the boards. Started cycling about 3 months ago and am quite enjoying it.
    Commuted 15 miles to work and will be going back home for another 15. If time permits hop to do 40 miles on Saturday. Other wise I will settle for a 20 mile ride Sunday.
    Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!
  • shorerider
    Options
    New to the boards. Started cycling about 3 months ago and am quite enjoying it.
    Commuted 15 miles to work and will be going back home for another 15. If time permits hop to do 40 miles on Saturday. Other wise I will settle for a 20 mile ride Sunday.
    Hope everyone has a great rest of the week!

Welcome ce_fit! And another cyclist, too! WAHOOOO!!!
  • ce_fit
    Options
    Quite impressed with a 17.45 mph average over 23 miles, that is awsome!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Quite impressed with a 17.45 mph average over 23 miles, that is awsome!

Thanks! I've been working hard to get there! Can't wait to get a road bike and see what I can do with something other than a Hybrid.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Great MPH, Shorerider. I'm happy to see your progress.
  • ce_fit
    Options

Thanks! I've been working hard to get there! Can't wait to get a road bike and see what I can do with something other than a Hybrid.

I started this journey out with a Mountain bike & graduated to a road bike about a month ago. The road bike seems to make about 1.5 - 2 MPH differance for me.

I purchased a Giant OCR 2. I would highly recommend the brand. This is a great time of year to check for bikes on sale at your local bike store as they are clearing out for the new model year.

By the way I pushed it coming home & I managed to average 17.40 mph. So I must say once again great job on that average!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Monday - 50
    Tuesday - 14.5
  • shorerider
    Options
    Only got in 9 today. :frown: I put my original seat back on the bike instead of the "horn-less" one I've been using. I'm hoping to get a road bike soon! And though having a regular type seat now would enable me to get used to that configuration.

Unfortunately, it was not adjusted right at all! I barely made it back to the house and spent most of an hour adjusting and tweaking. I think I got it worked out though but no time left today to ride.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day!
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    I am curious about your "hornless" saddle.....
    How does it handle? All of the reviews I have read claim that it makes a road bike too unstable to control at speed. I have broken my pelvis/tailbone in the past and was hoping that the hornless type would be more comfortable. I currently ride 150 miles per week on a racing saddle - but was curious.
    Thanks,
  • shorerider
    Options
    I am curious about your "hornless" saddle.....
    How does it handle? All of the reviews I have read claim that it makes a road bike too unstable to control at speed. I have broken my pelvis/tailbone in the past and was hoping that the hornless type would be more comfortable. I currently ride 150 miles per week on a racing saddle - but was curious.
    Thanks,

Newman, here's a link showing the saddle I got from Amazon. It looks uncomfortable is really very comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1221684771&sr=8-3

I enjoyed it. But I hope to get a road bike and wanted to begin to work towards getting used to a "regular" saddle again.

I had no problems with control, even at speed, and I've had the bike up to 22 mph. But, I'm not sure how it would work on a road bike though with that forward position. One reason I wanted to transition back to a regular saddle.
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I know that you have really been working hard, and "Bamboo" and I are really proud of you! Keep up the great work! I don't know if Bamboo will let me buy anything else for my bike!!! I have done tons of research on roadbikes- so if you need any info before you buy let me know.
    Thanks,