Washing your hair

Options
124»

Replies

• ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hair Stylist here! Best advice is to use a dry shampoo after a sweaty workout and continue to do your normal shampoos 2 to 3 times per week. The dry shampoos are awesome for removing oils and moisture from the hair after you have busted your hump at the gym.

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Can you recommend a good one? Right now I can't wash my hair every day as it is falling out BIG TIME since doctors dont have my hypothyroid under control yet. I lose chunks and chunks of hair in the shower and then even more once it dries. When I do wash I am using Sally Beauty Supplys Hair One as it has no sulfate in it and is for dry hair
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    If I play soccer or do a hard cardio workout, I NEED to wash my hair. It's pretty fine and even the smallest bit of oil makes it look super-greasy and lank. I have some dry shampoo, but I can only use it for a day and then my hair looks icky. I'll go an entire weekend without washing though...and during the summer, I'll go days without washing it. (I'm a teacher so if I don't have anywhere to go--I throw it up in a bun and go!)

I think it all just depends on your hair type and finding products that work for you.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I did the conditioner no shampoo today, will see how it looks later once it is dry :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I suppose this is probably more of a question for the ladies....

I'm sure everyone out there has heard the "don't wash your hair everyday" rule. But if you exercise everyday (or even 2 consecutive days) then I feel gross not washing my hair.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I wash mine every day. No way around it as I am a natural oil reserve!

But post work-out, I just rinse it and apply conditioner to the ends. (Heavily highlighted hair.)

If you can manage to get your workout in first thing in the morning, it solves the post-workout shampoo dilemma.
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    I say wash your hair everyday.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair everyday, I have naturally curly hair so it is a styling issue, it's either wash or fro :laugh: But especially now that I am running more I rinse my hair in the morning and wash after workouts and I use leave in conditioners or hot oil.

Also, if you hair is feeling dry or brittle that is sometimes the products that we use on our hair and I recommend using a cider vinegar and water rinse once a month or so, it strips the crap out of the hair and leaves your hair soft.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    I haven't taken the time to read all the responses, so I apologize if any of this is redundant.

I am a hairdresser, and here is my opinion.

Sweat and oil might seem gross, but its not. I wash my hair every 3rd day, and I workout HARD and sweat a lot. I do shower daily, but I only rinse my hair with water. If it feels like it needs freshening up, you can actually wash with conditioner. I did notice someone recommended the Wen system - essentially, that is the concept behind Wen - it is a low detergent hair enhancer. It doesn't lather, it just helps loosen debris without stripping the hair down to oil-free squeaky clean.

So, I often times will rinse my hair with conditioner to freshen it up - I massage it right into my scalp and rinse it right out.

My hair is shiny, silky, and lays in luscious, smooth locks when I do this.

I do understand needing squeaky clean hair, though - I really look forward to my wash every 3 days - it is soo refreshing.

There are some granola gals I've known that NEVER wash their hair. Only rinse it. It sounds crazy doesn't it? The hair is really different after that, too - water just beads up on it - you can hardly wet it down.

So there is my two cents. There is no right or wrong answer - wash your hair when its dirty. If you're concerned about drying it out or fading your color prematurely, try rinsing or washing with conditioner only and see what happens.

I agree. I've been in the beauty business many years and when I decided to grow my hair long I stopped washing it every day and rinsed and 'washed' it with cond. and it has grown out beatifully. Also if you want an extra shine boost...give it a final rinse with cold water. yes I said cold water. It closes the hair shaft so it reflects light better. = more shine! Try it a few times...I bet you get hooked!:love:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

What a condescending presumptious statement.... How do you know what would make her "look so much better"? And have you ever taken care of an infant? They're pretty time-consuming.... I know young mothers who struggle to find time to go to the bathroom.... much less shampoo, condition, comb, and dry their hair every day. Every stylist I've ever seen and every article and study on hair I've ever read encourages women not to shampoo every day because it strips hair of natural oils. Unless you've dragged your hair through something disgusting, it shouldn't really be that gross the day after washing it....
  • jesshall281
    Options

What a condescending presumptious statement.... How do you know what would make her "look so much better"? And have you ever taken care of an infant? They're pretty time-consuming.... I know young mothers who struggle to find time to go to the bathroom.... much less shampoo, condition, comb, and dry their hair every day. Every stylist I've ever seen and every article and study on hair I've ever read encourages women not to shampoo every day because it strips hair of natural oils. Unless you've dragged your hair through something disgusting, it shouldn't really be that gross the day after washing it....

well said! the other woman irritated me with her ignorant comment!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Ready2bff: How did your hair look when it dried? Just curious
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Speaking about hair and shampoo... I have always had big issues with my hair (damaged, oily, dandruffs...). :S I have tried many products but never found anything that would really make my hair look "wow!".

One day (a couple of weeks ago), I tried my baby's shampoo (since my shampoo bottle was empty! :P). And actually, I noticed my hair were looking great! :) Since then, I use baby shampoo almost every times (but sometimes I need H&S! :P), and my hair is much better! :D

Anyone doing the same or am I a freak ? XD Or would you be kind enough to share your "secret beauty shampoo" ???

Baby shampoo is a milder detergent than "adult" shampoo. That's one of the cheap "tricks" I've heard people use for keeping their dyed hair colored longer and also a good option for dryer hair.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Ready2bff: How did your hair look when it dried? Just curious

Not bad at all, was really soft, I am going to try it for a few weeks and see if it helps!!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    With a three-month-old, I rarely have time to wash my hair whether I work out or not!

How long does it take to wash your hair?? Another 5mn under the shower?

Maybe because I come from a warm country I am used to a different way of doing things, but there the only ones to use dry shampoo are puppies - because they may die if you bath them before they're 4/6 months old! It never occurred to me young pretty ladies who praise their appearance so much would choose it over a delicious morning shower! And ... 'time consuming'? Come on... Takes less time to wash your hair than posting a comment on this website, and it would make you look much better!...

Damn, you're rude! Y'know what would make YOU look better? Not being so condescending on others for situations outside their control! Do you have any idea what it's like to have a child? You don't have time to even breathe or go pee, it's exhausting. Who's gonna watch her child while she's in the shower? Logistically, it's difficult. Be a bit more understanding. She's probably gorgeous - and for the record, hair washing does not make or break one's appearance. Good heavens! :angry: