Something new to do with ground turkey?

Options
SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
I wanted to make something kid friendly with some ground turkey tonight. Any suggestions?

Replies

• katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    We are having ground turkey tacos...they are WaY better than regular beef tacos and a hit with our daughter (almost 2). Other than turkey tacos, we dont have any ground turkey recipes though...so I'll be stalking this thread :)
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i use ground turkey in place of beef for everything now... my 2 year olds LOVE my "turkey helper" lol i make my own mac n cheese with ground turkey its easy n tasty
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    -tacos/taco salad
    -nachos
    -meat sauce for pasta (use Barilla plus-my kids love it)

I use it for everything I would use ground beef for (except burgers, can't handle those although some folks rave about them)
    -
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers, stuffed heirloom tomatoes, spaghetti, meat balls, one of our favorites is greek style turkey burgers. YUM!
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Tacos are good. Make them into meatballs and serve them with spaghetti and sauce. Make mini burgers (turkey sliders?) or sloppy joes.
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Tacos are good. Make them into meatballs and serve them with spaghetti and sauce. Make mini burgers (turkey sliders?) or sloppy joes.
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    BUMP
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use it as a pizza topping, in Quesadillas (especially if I have some left over from Taco Night), as a topper for a salad, to make meatballs (check out www.skinnytaste.com--the Greek Meatballs are EXCELLENT any my 3 yr old loves them!), etc.
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Make some turkey lasagna. You can use all of the same sauces and spices as in beef lasagna and it tastes amazing too! I like to use the spinach noodles and mix cottage cheese, 1 egg and spinach together for one of the layers too. My husband and children LOVE it! Enjoy!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    do not, i repeat, do not use turkey for shephards pie...dear god. it was gross. i can only handle ground turkey if it's IN something - like chili or sauce or even the turkey tacos sound yummy...

clearly i have no clever ideas. sorry :)
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    turkey burgers and turkey meatballs are great choices, just pick your favorite beef recipe and substitute the turkey instead
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Definatly tacos!~!~ sooo much better than beef.!~!

Maybe meatballs? I use ground turkey in mine and my husband and brother NEVER know that difference. I just make them exactly how I make the with beef. You can add a little worchestershire sauce to your reg meatball recipe to bump up the savoryness. (not sure if thats a real word,..lol)

I LUV turkey burgers. I mix the meat with a beaten egg (since the turkey is soo floppy) add a little bread crumbs if its soo soft for your taste and make them just like any other burger. I like putting some fresh basil and garlic in the meat and topping it with mozz and tomatos and drizzle some balsamic. Its my twist on bruscetta!~!
  • SyrenaAngela
    Options
    I made Chicken meatball soup last night... but you can definitely make it with turkey.

It was so simple (i used odds and ends that i had to get rid of before they went bad)

I chopped carrots and celery and 2 small white potatos and put them in a pot with low sodium chicken stock, and let it cook for about 20 minutes...

the meatballs were ground chicken, egg whites(about 1 egg per pound) and italian bread crumbs all mixed together in a bowl... i rolled them into small balls and turned up the heat on the soup (until it was almost boiling) and threw them in.

I also added small shell pasta to make it more filling but you can easily do without.

It was sooooo good. and pretty healthy i'd say! also, you can add some grated cheese if you want.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I really want to try this with ground turkey or chicken:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/chicken-lettuce-wraps-crockpot-recipe.html
  • samborskill
    Options
    Hot Dish

1 lb ground turkey (I usually cook it with pepper and garlic salt or other spice to make up for lack of flavor since I sub it for beef) - browned
    I can corn
    1can kidney beans
    2 cans tomato soup (campbells)
    1/2 pkg. macaroni noodles (cooked)

mix it all up and let it simmer for about 20 minutes for flavors to mix-

my kids love it - even my kid who barely eats meat - good luck
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    taco salad - with corn, black beans, and salsa
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Use can use ground chicken anywhere you would use ground beef. Chili, tacos, burgers, spaghetti and turkeyballs (I just had to use this word - LOL). Anything. It works great with high seasoned meals like tacos and chili.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey:
    here are a few things that come to mind and if you want inbox me and I can put a recipe together for you

- chili
    -turkey meatball subs
    -open faced turkey tacos
    - turkey cabbage bake
    -garden turkey burgers
    -turkey lasagna

all these items are great and always remember what the recipe calls for you can sub out items to fit your diet needs
    Enjoy
    ~Chef Jenn~
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My kids love turkey spaghetti and prefer the ground turkey over ground beef in the sauce.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ground Turkey Stroganoff

-1 pound ground turkey
    -1 small onion chopped
    -1 cup of mushrooms sliced
    -1/2 cup of peas
    -1 can of cream of mushroom
    -1/3 cup of milk
    -1 teaspoon of garlic
    -1/2 teaspoon of salt