SAHM 2/21 to 2/27

Options

Replies

• katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Um... there's a lot happening in this thread. I tried to stay away so I didn't look like a thread stalker, posting all the time, but now I can't catch up. :laugh:

Oh please, be a stalker with me :laugh:

I love parenthood!! I am a little behind though...

Barb ~ Thanks!

Holly ~ How far into FPU are you? I've never taken it, but hubby and I implement some of the stuff from there, especially taking all of our cash out, it has really helped us stay on budget. We haven't been very good without CCs lately though :( Thankfully tax returns are on the way and we can pay them off and hopefully not build them back up again!

I'm up .5 this morning, but also woke up with my period, so it could be a lot worse! I'm so sore from all the core work I did yesterday, I think it will be a pure cardio day. Hoping to get a 'good' treadmill run in...I hate that damn thing...
  • KC1206
    KC1206 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Katie--Your shoulders look awesome! Thanks for the info about turbokick! I think I am going to try it at some point...I looked at the schedule for my gym and it is offered back to back with my step class that I do on Wednesday nights, so I think I might have to rotate it in.

AJ--I am having trouble keeping up too haha!

Anyway, lost one pound yesterday when I weighed in, was still down this morning, so I guess that pound is for real. YAY! Have a great Wednesday everyone!
  • ellen1980
    Options
    I am praying to be down a few pounds when I weigh in next. I have put my scale away for 2 weeks though. I was weighing every other day or so and getting super discouraged when the scale wasn't moving in the right direction. So we will see what kind of results I get in 2 weeks!

I find that I crave alot of sweets, especially after meals. Any sweet low cal snack options that you can recomend?
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

Katie- Wow, your shoulders are awesome! Fun on your camping weekend, that would be a great birthday weekend.

AJ- I know, I've been here 3 weeks and felt like a stalker reading every couple hours but not posting. Not sure even that would keep me up to date now. :) Lots of stay at home moms trying to get in shape!

Welcome newcomers!

I am down 3 today! I'm excited, hoping I can still get a 2 lb loss this next week and that was just a bonus pound over the last 5 weeks. lol. I need a new scale, do you guys use digital scales? Mine is a nice one but it isn't digital and I feel like if I lean forward or backward I can alter the numbers. I try hard to stand the exact same way every week. Good luck today all!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Katie-Waking up with your period starting is not a way to start the day! A good run should help get you going the right way. As for FPU we just did week 3 last night it's a total of 13 weeks. We talked about about a budget before but it never really stuck so we are hopeful that this will work for us. So far so good.

binabodu-Congrats on your 3 lb. loss! I use a digital scale the others are very subjective to how you stand or which way you lean.

ellen1980-I crave something sweet after certain meals. I may have just a small piece of chocolate like a mini reeses cup, or a skinny cow ice cream sandwich or even a cup of hot tea with sugar. Good luck with your weigh in!

Kc1206-Yeah for another pound down! It's so nice to find it gone 2 days in a row.

aj-sorry your shoes didn't make it yet hopefully they will get there today. Yummy ice cream..I had some last week too when there were a lot of extra calories and the next morning I lost weight. Sometimes you just need a little 'extra fat' to prove that you aren't starving your body. I understand too about eating sugar making you crave more. I used to be like that a lot! Since cutting way back I can get a fix on much less and not let it take over.

Lucy had a rough night last night, she has a cough now that she is thinking will make her vomit so she gags each time. She got a little sick a few minutes ago and seems to have a slight fever so no gym time for me today. I need to try to do my Zumba dvds today to get some exercise in.

Holly
  • rkeil29
    Options
    Hi! I just came across this group today and would like to join. I'm a SAHM , i have 9 and 3 year old little girls. I"m on day 3 of Turbo Fire. Wondering if there's any other moms out there doing this program?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    KC, yay for the loss! Congrats! :)

Ellen, a couple of things that work for me with sugar cravings: first, I drink a glass of water. I've discovered that a lot of times that I'm craving sugar, I'm really just thirsty. A cold glass of water usually takes it away. If it doesn't, I'll eat something like a tart apple with a little cream cheese, or some yogurt, something like that. And if all else fails, one Hershey's Kiss or one square of chocolate. I don't let myself chew it though -- I just kind of melt it between my tongue and the roof of my mouth. It makes it last longer, so it takes less of it to satisfy the craving. Those are just things that work for me. Hopefully something in there helps you too!

Bina, yay on the loss! I used to have one of those scales and I know what you mean about standing differently and changing the numbers. I hated that thing. I eventually threw it out -- which might be why I put on so much weight without noticing. :laugh:

Holly, so sorry to hear about your little one. I hope she feels better super fast. Is it a productive cough, or just irritation in her throat? My old pediatrician used to recommend a homemade cough syrup. This is from their website:

HOMEMADE COUGH MEDICINE:
    MIX TOGETHER:
    2 ounces of water
    2 tablespoons of light Karo Syrup
    1 teaspoon of lemon juice
    Give 1 teaspoon every 2 or 3 hours as needed.

I used it on Z a few times when he was a toddler and it really helped soothe that irritation so he didn't cough so hard.

rkeil, welcome!

I REALLY have to stay off the computer today. The house is a total train wreck, and I have so much to do. But I'm so tired! The sun isn't coming out today, and that really screws up my energy level. I guess I'll turn on all the lights and turn up some upbeat music so I can try to rev up a bit. All I want to do is sit here and do internet stuff. Or go back to bed, but I don't think Z is gonna let that happen.
  • EverythingCubbies
    EverythingCubbies Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love seeing so many post this morning!

Cat - Are you still running? I did a bunch of 5k runs in college and wish I would have stuck with it. When I started working weird retail hours I stopped running.

Katie - Holy HOT MAMA!! Great picture, you look amazing. OK is for the birds, can't stand it, LOL. I'm a Kentucky girl at heaart so I'm super happy we moved back here. Of course I was POed that OK got all that snow after I moved away. Oh well, we got a nice amount here and the roads were clear enough to drive.

Katie M - I'm gonna try to do veg 1x week, I finally got hubby on board, maybe in a month or so I can sneak in raw 1x week also. LOL b/c I am the same way with chicken, it's a love/hate thing. I still remembered when my brother told me that Joey (my favorite cow) was in our freezer. I cried for a week and my parents ended up giving all the meat away b/c I was so upset. Hahaha, neighbors probably thought they were crazy.

AJ - Nooooooooooooo, you better get up to the FedEx and/or USPS and make sure nobody is sportin your new shoes. :( It's so nice to see another Parenthood watcher, I love that show. Tuesday night is my TV night but I stay up too late b/c I also watch teen mom 2. Those two shows are my favs, love them! Oh and I totally cried during Parenthood last night and after seeing the preview for next week, I'm gonna be cryin again.

KC - Congrats on losing another pound!!

Swtchrypie - Well, at least you didn't get fries and a shake with your burger, hehehe. Sometimes ya gotta splurge or you'll feel like your on a diet and set yourself up.

Ellen - Here are some low cal sweets I like: Pudding, Graham Crackers, Cocoa, Sorbet, Smoothie, Yogurt, Apple w/peanut butter, Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal, and that's all I can think of right now.

Bina - I use a digital scale and it always matches up with my weight at the doctors office.

Holly - Hope Lucy gets to feeling better, poor thing. BTW, what kind of shoes did you get? I really need to replace mine. I've got a weird foot, my heel is narrow and the ball of my foot is wide, makes shoe shopping interesting.

Welcome to all the new SAHMs, glad you joined!

I got all girlie last night and painted my finger/toe nails. Woke up feeling good and when I got on the scale I was down another pound but, I won't count it until my next weigh in day. YAHOO!
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    AJ- Oh I feel you! I got my treadmill last week and it seems that I have traded in cleaning for running. Haha! But I am back on track today and catching up. GO ME! Also I'm stealing that cough syrup recipe, I never thought of making my own and I like that idea better then med you get at the store! More safe I feel.

Holly- I love zumba! That was my main source of cardio before I got my treadmill. Which dvds do you have? Do you like them? I have the ps3 game which is really fun!

4loveofkids- thanks! I was feeling so bad for eating a burger! Sometimes you need to be reminded its ok to do things like that and not feel guilty. Congrats on the pound as well!

Well I am off cleaning before the dirty clothes monster comes to get me! I hope everyones having a great productive wednesday!
  • hollyb9871
    Options
    Amy-my shoes are Mizuno they are snug in the heel (I have that problem too) and they are stretchy in the ball of your foot area with lots of support. I really liked them, they are pricey however $140. I am at the gym 4 days a week for about 1 1/2 each time so having good shoes is very important to me. Here's a link to their site http://www.mizunorunning.com/running/products/womens-wave-creation-12
  • hollyb9871
    Options
    swtchrypie I have the Zumba box with the shaker weights, the ab video, live, basic and cardio party oh and there's a toning one too. I've only used them a couple of times (we are down to 1 tv) but I have enjoyed them.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

Anyway, lost one pound yesterday when I weighed in, was still down this morning, so I guess that pound is for real. YAY! Have a great Wednesday everyone!

yay on the loss!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    KC ~ You won't be sorry, definitely give it a try!! Congrats on the loss!

Ellen ~ I love flavored greek yogurt! Great sweet treat and filling :)

Bina ~ Yay on your HUGE loss, that's awesome! I use a digital scale, and I try to stand the same on it too LOL

Holly ~ My run felt awesome this morning, you're right, it's exactly what I needed!

Rkeil ~ Welcome! I do TurboFire and I LOVE it! I don't follow the schedule, I just pick out something on the days I can't make it to the gym and do a HIIT workout every 3 days :)

AJ ~ Thanks for the cough medicine recipe!

Amy ~ thanks girl! And OK is for the birds LOL and I know what you mean about the snow! Ha!

So I posted as my status, but in case we aren't friends....since Jan 13th I have lost 4lbs, and 3.5% body fat!! 31.8 to 28.3, trying to get to 25. Yay for victories!! :happy: Weight training does work!
  • laurakrowe
    Options
    Room for another??? :)
    Technically, I'm not a SAHM. I work 20hrs a week, but so early in the morning that Im home by the time my kids get up and are eating breakfast !!!
    I have 2 daughters - 5.5yrs and 3 yrs old - and we now have a 5 month old baby boy. After his birth we discovered he has a heart problem. I comforted myself with food and actually GAINED weight!!! :(
    My weight issues started in 2003 when my Dad died. I also comforted myself with food back then - lots of late night eating and drinking. In about 1 yr i gained 60lbs. I hate that i let myself be defeated.
    So here I am now - Just found out about MFP this week and joined. i lost 37lbs (most of it baby weight) since September and now i want to lose about 20 more.
  • clcole522
    clcole522 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    4loveofkids .................I do still run, right now on the treadmill, I like to get in 3 miles a day, but don't always get there....My last race was in November over in Washington DC at the National Harbour, very cool!!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Got mah shooooesss! :drinker:

But they might be too small. :sad:

I'm wearing them around for a little bit to make sure they don't just need broken in. I've been wearing big floppy snowboots so they might just feel weird in comparison, you know? But I think I might have to go half a size up. We'll see. I'm going to be so frustrated if I have to exchange them. My feet are already gigantic -- don't make me go up another half-size. :laugh: My ego can't take it!

But aren't they cute?
    3379071_8801.jpg
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    swtchrypie~LOL The 'dirty clothes monster'. I think he has already taken over here. :laugh:

Great job to all those who have losses. I can't remember who you are, tons of posts since I last read.

Amy~:laugh: I think you might be right they probably did think your parents had lost it. I think making the change slowly is going to be the better option for me too. I get so very overwhelmed when I think about all the changes that I have to make and the things that I need to buy in order for it to work and then I end up sliding backwards. :grumble: Maybe start with one meal a day or week like you said and then go from there.

Welcome to ALL newcomers.

Can't remember who said that technically she is not a SAHM because she works in the wee hours of the morning. I am technically not a Sahm either I work 2 hrs a day 5 days a week but I am home most of the time so I still consider myself to be a sahm.

So I had a good talk with 2 of my friends that have come from an abused past. One says that she will talk to my MIL and try to help her see that she needs to do a "trial separation". Hopefully she agrees then we can get her the counseling that she needs. Be able to start thinking better of herself and (keeping fingers crossed) not want to go back. Anyways, I think that lovely TOM is coming because I have been wanting to just eat everything in sight.:grumble:
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Aj~ Glad that you finally got them. Keeping fingers crossed that you don't have to go up a half a size.
  • EverythingCubbies
    EverythingCubbies Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Holly - Ohhh, those are nice, I've heard great things about Mizuno. I usually go with Asics or New Balance, there is a local runners store I like to get them at. It's one of my few non coupon splurges but I agree, a good shoe is very important.

Katie - Yahoo for the inches and body fat lost, you rock!!

Laura - Welcome!

Cat - I think my BFF did that run, she lives in Baltimore. I'm hoping to be in better shape next time I visit so we can do a run together.

AJ - Love em!! Ok, you can't throw out a comment about your big feet and not tell us what size you wear, LOL, they don't look big in the picture. I'm 5'5" and wear a 9 1/2, a girl should at least get some long skinny legs if she has to lug these boats around. :bigsmile:

Katie M - Well if nothing else it helps to sneak things in on the family without them noticing until it's too late. :wink: Does your friend eat anything cooked?? Tofu??? Veggies??? Anything???? I like my grill (not my teeth but my actual charcoal grill) too much to give it up. I think I could handle one day a week, that would be a good start. Of course I'm sure my hubby will come home from work smelling like a big ole cheeseburger on those days.

I cleaned downstairs but have noooooo motivation to clean upstairs and I still haven't worked out yet today. Did I mention that I've been wearing my workout clothes all day, haha. We must, we must, we must decrease our buns!?!?! (I'd rather loose that than my bust, sorry Judy Blume)
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Amy, I'm not quite 5'3" and I wear a 9. Capital L! :laugh: I wore an 8.5 before I had Z, and then my feet grew during that pregnancy. My new shoes started feeling really good after I wore them for about 10 minutes, so I think I'll be able to keep them. I think it was just new-shoe stiffness combined with not being used to good-fitting shoes. They don't hurt or pinch at all. So I can stay at a 9 and be happy. haha

I put on my workout clothes when I put Z down for his nap, but then I helped C practice her writing, and my shoes came, and I made some phone calls, and the washing machine died, and then we went to the park, and now it's almost time to start cooking. So I'm back in regular clothes again. Must be that kind of day.