5'11" and would like some advice from other tall ladies

Options

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and I have a very large frame. My goal weight is 180 and, although I might try for a few more pounds after that, not many - maybe 10 tops. I started at 280 in mid September.
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YAY, tall ladies talking...I'm 6"...No one ever believes that I am closer to 300 lbs than I am (I currently weigh 269) and 185 is my ultimate goal weight that I've never actually seen as an adult. so I too have 80 pounds to lose and don't think that 175 is a low goal weight. Any one who's looking for some tall friends, please add me :)
  • smallerneely
    Options
    Hi this is a topic close to my heart! :) I'm 6'1 and my heaviest weight was 200+, my short term goal is to lose 20 lbs but ultimately I would like to get to 180. I hear the same thing, I don't look that heavy but tell that to what I see in the mirror!! Anywho, good luck!!
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'11.5 and I can relate as well. I was once 270 plus pounds and felt horrible but no one believed I needed to lose 100lbs except the doctor! lol, I lost 100lbs back in 2004 and was around 173 and was a size 6. I looked sick! It depends on the person but I think my face looks really long and weird at that weight. I feel my best and (feel l look my best( around 180 but that's just me. I have had 2 kids since then so I'm about 203 right now and goal is 180s. I see alot of tall women post on here about getting to 140s and 150s and I always feel like I could never do that. Good luck and I say ultimately do what is best for you :)
  • use2becaligirl
    Options
    I am 5'11'' and in the same boat. I started at 209 and am shooting for 175-180 lbs. I was 126 lbs in hight school and was a stick. I would never want to weigh that again. Iam happy to have some curves. Whenever I tell my friends what I weigh, they are shocked, which is fine with me. :>)
  • cerace
    cerace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and weigh 242lbs. My goal weight is 165lbs (150lbs would be even better!) And yes people thought I too was crazy for wanting to lose almost 100lbs when I started, but 165lbs is an average weight for my height. I love being tall, it's a blessing...can't wait to strut my stuff like I'm on a runway! LOL! Keep up the good work to all my "tallies"! :bigsmile: javascript:add_smiley('bigsmile','post_body')
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal is 160 (what the BMI charts tell my healthy weight is) but I think 170 is a more attainable goal for me. Feel free to add me.
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and I once tipped the scale at my heaviest of 325 lbs a little over a year ago. I must "carry it well" because I am also told I do not look like I weigh as much as I do. I am now about 301 lbs and have a goal to be around 200-210 because I do not want to be too thin and lose shape. Sadly, I can't remember when I was under 200, as I always struggled with my weight throughout child/adulthood, so I don't know how I will look, but I have a larger frame and it really will depend on how it looks once I hit that goal. If I see a need to go down another 10-20 pounds, I will set a new goal and keep going :smile:
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tall ladies unite! I am 6 foot and I starte dmy weight loss journey at 320 like most of you I was told I carry it well and so many people couldn't believe I was that heavy. I now weight in at about 210, was 206 at one point. My original goal was to get to 199, I just wanted to be under 200! My goal now is 185. I feel that this is atainable and I will still look and feel healthy. Of course I would love to lose more than that but I don't think I would look or feel as healthy. My husband has already told me I am skinny enough but for me it is the satisfaction of reachign my goal!
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hey there tall ladies! I am 5'11" and I currently weigh 236.6! I am so happy I found you all! I was like are there any tall women out there who look like me! I am in a 16 TALL right now and my goal is to be in a 10/12. I weghed 185 at my healthiest ( when i was in the ARMY). I dont want to get much lower than 185 because I loved how I looked when I was 185! My problem areas are my thighs and my midsection! i cant wear all those body majics and stuff because I love to be comfortable!

I have a picture up but now that I see there are others on here like me I will add more to my profile! I also have a large frame, my mom is 6;1"! and my dad was 6'7 so I am sure I was meant to be tall! I just started this journey tuesday, February 23, 2011! I know its an odd day and all but i woke up and said today is better than any!

And for us tall ladies.......where do you buy your jeans from???????? I dont like the flare leg ones! i want some with a nice wide leg all the way down! no bell bottoms either!
    and please feel free to add me as a friend as i dont have any on here yet. Thanks for making me feel special!

Alexis
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" also! I have a small (thin) frame.... I'm down to 145 lbs from 150. My goal is to be to 140 by the beginning of April. My trouble area has always been my thighs-- they are always bigger than I want them to be. Ugh. Time for more cardio! Bring on the bikini!
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Excellent that there are so many statuesque ladies on here!

Interesting question: After reading Robin's post above, a question to others: does tallness run in your family? I have five sisters (including a twin) and none are over 5'5". No one really is that tall in my family, except maybe a great grandfather. Just wondering if you are like me and are an exception in your family's gene pool!

As for the jeans, I have to buy Talls because I have a 36" inseam. I can usually find longer pants at Dillard's but have also found other stores like Liz Claiborne and JCPenney that carry longer inseams.
  • margarita953
    margarita953 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love seeing all the tall ladies on here! I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 209. I'm aiming to get down to 180 but if I could get down to 170 I'd be even happier. My heaviest weight ever was 267 lbs. I also think I carry my weight well and I have a larger more muscular frame. I don't think your goal is unreasonable. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like :)
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    Hey there tall ladies! I am 5'11" and I currently weigh 236.6! I am so happy I found you all! I was like are there any tall women out there who look like me! I am in a 16 TALL right now and my goal is to be in a 10/12. I weghed 185 at my healthiest ( when i was in the ARMY). I dont want to get much lower than 185 because I loved how I looked when I was 185! My problem areas are my thighs and my midsection! i cant wear all those body majics and stuff because I love to be comfortable!

I have a picture up but now that I see there are others on here like me I will add more to my profile! I also have a large frame, my mom is 6;1"! and my dad was 6'7 so I am sure I was meant to be tall! I just started this journey tuesday, February 23, 2011! I know its an odd day and all but i woke up and said today is better than any!

And for us tall ladies.......where do you buy your jeans from???????? I dont like the flare leg ones! i want some with a nice wide leg all the way down! no bell bottoms either!
    and please feel free to add me as a friend as i dont have any on here yet. Thanks for making me feel special!

Alexis

Hey Alexis! I LOVE Banana Republic for my jeans. I got the cutest pair about a year ago and they fit perfectly. I need to go back for more. :)
  • RiverRatChick
    RiverRatChick Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Jeans: Rock and Republic or The Buckle "BKE" brand.... Both have 36" inseams. My BKE's are the cheapest pair of jeans I've ever owned and I love them. They drag on the ground if I don't have heels on!
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 6' tall and my goal is to be 175. I am glad too see so many other tall ladies on MFP. :)

As for clothing, Long Tall Sally and Long Elegant Legs are great although you have to order online.
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am so happy you posted this topic. Tall Ladies MUST stick together because the height/weight thing is mind blowing to those who can't relate. I've always been the tallest amongst my friends and hated my height as a kid. But, as I grew older I totally embraced it and wouldn't trade it for the world ... I love being tall and standing confident actually at any weight. I am 5'10 and I weighed my heaviest ever at 253. I started MFP on February 1st @ 245 and weighed in today (my weigh-in day) at 231 (absolutely love this site:heart: ). I've also been told I don't look like I weigh what I weigh and that I carry it proportionately well. Its been over 13 years (with lots of yo yo dieting in between) since I've weighed below 200 pounds and I must admit I loved how toned and fit I looked at 185 which I think was around 1995 (WOW!) I'm setting mini goals which I know helps me in my progress but ultimately I would love to be back at around 185 (just love having my curves and love the way my jeans can look on me without the muffin top). Please feel free to add me as a friend ...TALL GIRLS ROCK!
  • viansa
    viansa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were so many tall ladies on here!!!!!

I'm 5'11" and started MFP 4 weeks ago at 321. I debated this same question when I was setting my goals. I ultimately entered 145 for my goal weight. I have a small to med frame and all this weight is literally hurting my bones and joints. When I was at 190 i was in a loose 12/14. I may still end up being happy way above what I set my goal for on here and stop at 170 or so. I have no idea, but will adjust when that time comes around! I say go for 175 and just see how you feel about yourself along the way!
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    Hi I' 5'11.5 and my highest weight was 224 pounds I then lost about 30 pounds before I joined MFP on my old account starting at 196,the lightest I've ever been is 187 pounds which is where I reside. My goal ranges between the 150's and 160's,I'm not quite sure yet,I'm not even sure what it will look like on my medium pushing into the large frame,as I've always been overweight,anyway glad to see other tall women on here too! :)
  • HungryTuna
    Options
    I'm 5'9, currently 137lbs, going for 125lb

I'm 5'9 too. 125 lbs is way below a healthy BMI. But really, it depends on your body type too. I'm pear-shaped so my weight goes to my hips. I'm not big-boned, and have the body type to be fairly thin... however 125 would never be a healthy weight for me.

I'm 170 right now, working towards 140-145.