30 Day Shred is not so Shreddy!

Options
Ive been doing the 30 shred AND I keep my calories under 1400 ( I know I eat some crap, but Ive cut back from about 3500 cals a day AND Im exercising EVERYDAY)... AND IM GAINING WEIGHT?!

What the HECK!?

Im 90% sure its not gaining muscle.. Its been 4 lbs in a freakin week.

That doesnt happen.

GR! Im almost back to where I started.

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!! Probably whatever water you are drinking now, add 2-3 glasses more
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories? and have you taken measurements? measurements is by far the best indicator. Doing Shred (i only got to do Level 3 once before i bailed out!) for the first 2 or so weeks i lost 1lb or 2lbs but when i took my measurements again after 21 days i had lost 4.5inches.

stick with it. It is shreddy!!! but again depends if you actually need to shred?!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I tried that. I did it for four days wearing a heart rate monitor, and I was only burning around 120-150 calories. I decided it really wasn't worth my time because I didn't enjoy it and there were other activities I could do where I burned many more calories in the same amount of time.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    It didn't do anything for me either. I don't think 20 minutes is enough time to make a difference or burn enough calories.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    I do 30 day shred, and now i added on shredding with weights...so its abou 45 minutes...we will see!!! But ive been stuck at no weightloss for 3 weeks now,,,,i keep holding on waiting to get over this plateau but it is very very frustrating...Stuck at 10lb loss!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Look at your food diary. I see a lot of fast food and processed food, and almost no fruits or veggies. Most days you under eat by several hundred calories. You are not tracking sodium and I guarantee that what you're eating is loaded with it. That will hamper weight loss. I recommend you add that.

Seriously, you need to clean up your diet if you want to see results. All the exercise in the world won't work if your diet is poor. Good luck!
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I started it yesterday. There was a moment where I had a nice burn going, but it didn't last. Definitely not sore at all today. I do agree with other posters - stick with it and take measurements. No worries so much about the scale numbers. Just focus on being healthy! I am going to combine Shred with other cardio tho, because I also feel it's not enough.
  • lkkyer
    lkkyer Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Great link!
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options

You just made my life! Thank you! I was seriously getting mad because Im super trufhful with my food log, theres some not so great stuff on there, but I keep it under calories.. so I was like oh my damn! My muscles are sore and my scale is fixing to be in the garbage lol
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your food diary......
    I'd suggest you drink more water, eat more fruit/veg's & also track your sodium
    You are eating alot of fast food (which has tons of sodium)

Hope this helps.....don't give up!
    Good luck! :smile:
  • tilee
    tilee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I completed day 2 yesterday. I'm sore, so I guess it's working. Can't wait to do it again tonite after work!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You also have to watch your fat and sodium intake. and eat good foods. Just because you are staying under your calories eating pizza, Arby's and McDonalds, doesnt mean you are eating well. Try changing what you eat like fresh foods, fruits and veggies and eat more often. Watch your fat and sodium and see if that helps.
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I second the comments about your food diary. Your progress is being hindered by what you eat.
  • wilmelenne
    Options
    Just a general thought towards others who are using shred, you can't just rely on shred to lose the weight and inches. everyone is different and yes you can't get a good workout in only 20 minutes. You have to top it off with other cardio and strengthening workouts. I am only burning about 100 calories doing shred but I already feel stronger that's the what I'm gauging using shred. oh and put the right things in your mouth!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above on your food diary. I did the Shred last month and I got some great result but I really watch what I ate. Don't give up. When i started a new plan the beginning of this month, I also gained weight in the beginning and people told me that was expected when you start a new routine. The weight eventually came off but your diet is definitely the most important part of this journey.

Like she said, be diligent and believe it or not, 20 minutes everyday does work. =)
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know Ive been putting crappy things in my mouth and that does hinder me, but its the principle that Ive cut back MAJORLY on how I used to eat, and have been adding excercise everyday.

Going from around 3-4000 calories a day to 1400 and exercising daily HAS to help.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Muscle will retain water especially if you are not getting enough. In order for you to have gained 4 actual pounds, you would have had to have had an excess of 14,0000 calories. I only burn about 130 calories doing the shred also, and have never done it alone. I have always preceded or followed it with 30 minutes of intense elliptical work or 45 minutes of Zumba.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    It WILL work. Just give it time and I agree with most of the other posters, your diet plays a major role in this and sounds like you're fully aware of this. Just keep drinking your water and cutting back on fast foods and you'll start to see the SHRED! I don't have a lot of room to talk as I've only completed Level 1, Day 4 as of last night but I do feel that it's going to work out great but I also do other cardio in conjunction and I think that helps tremendously. Keep up the good work. Take your measurements!
  • stepphanie
    Options
    Ok I looked at your food diary. Where is your healthy stuff? Where are the fruits and veggies? I see a lot of fast food wich is so unhealthy. You need to give up the fast food and go for the healthy stuff. I use to be a fast food junkie but now I am changing my lifestyle.