A Challenge - Make Me Like Eating Fish

Options

Replies

• bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am SO with you. I have hated fish and all other seafood for as long as I can remember. The only seafood I can tolerate is when it's fried to kingdom come, which is completely delicious and completely horrible for me!

So, I appreciate all of the tips here too. I have now been emboldened again to try baking/pan searing white fish...

Good luck, fish haters! ; )
  • GiniN
    GiniN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also order fish when we go out. Almost anyone can cook fish better than I can! I have had some very delicious fish dishes when eating out, but I KNOW I couldn't replicate them at home.

We do like to get the 1 lb. shrimp plate CostCo sells for about $10. My hubby and I get 2 meals out of it: plain cold shrimp with cocktail sauce on night #1 and shrimp Quesadillas or tacos or salad on day #2.

We also grill some of the "meatier" fish, like tuna steaks or swordfish or salmon. I don't know much about the relative health benefits of different types of fish so these might not be great choices...
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Salmon with tai cremefraiche

Mix together some creme fraiche with a tsp of tai green paste, spread onto a salmon fillet, wrap in foil and place in the over for 10-15 minutes.

That is delicious.

Have you just ever tried just pan frying fish? Just get a pan with some oilive oil in, a bit of garlic if you like and just pop your peice of fish in when the oil is hot. leave the fish a few minutes and then turn over. Don't keep moving it around or it wont crisp up. My Oh doesn't really like fish but he loves a bit of pan fried salmon.

I like it steamed, when i cook my pasta/rice or potatoes i make a little foil plate to put over the saucepan (poke a couple of holes in to let steam through) put my salmon on it then put the saucepan lid on and it steams the fish while your cooking whatever in the pan underneath.

I don't often put anything on my fish apart from a bit of garlic as i hate lemon and that seems to be all people put on it.

You could poach it in milk, on the stove top or in the oven and use the milk to make a parsley sauce to pour over the top.

Tht is literally just milk, flour and butter/marg just add into a pan and whisk, no need for a roux, then add chopped parsley. Season to taste.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if you like spice, try mackeral in piri piri sauce - usually sold at your local supermarket.
  • 008Lizzy
    008Lizzy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I own a Scottish Smoked Salmon company, and I am ALLERGIC to salmon boohoohooo!

I dont like strong tasting fish, but eat a lot of seabass. Heres what I do..

In an ovenproof dish, spray a small spray of one cal oil( dont know US equivalent?)..
    chop fresh herbs such as coriander (cilanrto) and parsely
    Add garlic, lemongrass, ginger and chopped fresh chillis
    Add heaped tablespoon of splenda sweetener sugar alternative
    Place four slices of lime laid out so each fillet of seabass covers over two slices lime
    Place seabass skin side up, on top
    Spray with one cal oil
    Add small drop boiled water
    Bake in oven

Serve with a tablespoon low fat creme fraiche on top
    Yummy - cannot beat it!!!!
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had baked fish out at a restaurant last night - It was baked in a little white wine and had feta cheese, chopped tomatoe, and cooked spinach on top with some greek seasoning. Was delicious...........

I bake haddock at home with some cajun spice - it doesn't take long in the oven - when it begins to flake apart with a fork - it is done.
  • JCL1
    JCL1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't like fish either! So, I tried a thin piece of Cod.....not fishy at all......just a little salt and pepper......bake or fry......and
    if I need it, Malt Vinegar.....still not my fav thing but I can eat this. Hope you'll try it.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Get Tilapia Loins. Why, they do not taste like fish. Roll in cornmeal and pan fry in butter or your preferred oil. I usually use Adobo seasoning on mine. They are also perfect in soup. Great grilled. Mahi Mahi, and Haddock are also very mild. Cod too.

Salmon can be a challenge. I usually Cajun Blacken them or make a
    sweet pepper sauce(Sweet Peppers, Tomatoes(fresh, canned, paste, marinara, spaghetti sauce, etc),
    olive oil and one wild caught cockeye salmon filet.
    Sautee peppers,
    add salmon(minute or two each side).
    Add Tomato, bring to a simmer, cover, 15 minutes,
    uncover, let reduce to your liking.

Ocean perch just wreaks to high heaven and taste like a garbage can.

Catfish can usually be soaked in milk. I never have too.

Walleye and Pike is just, well, plain old AWESOME. - Pan Fried much like Tilapia loin

Some fish from I think Vietnam but can't remember the name.

My teenage daughter will eat any of the above pan fried or grilled if a make her a sauce. Even barbecue sauce works well.

Can't recall any other fish type I've had lately
  • italy1677
    Options
    I love fish, you could make chinese flavored salmon with soy sauce and ginger cooked in a skillet. Parmesan incrusteed tilapia is the stuff, it's yummu :love: and fried flounder doesn't really taste too much like fish. Enjoy :happy:
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Oh, shouldn't have mentioned. Thai curry paste, chili garlic paste, etc. Tablespoon + 1-3 Tablespoon oil. Heat up oil and paste, throw fish chunks in. Let cook then toss in your stir fry veggies for a minute or two. If you want to take it towards authentic Thai you can use some coconut creme or milk int the stir fry's too.

You can take the stir fry to soup. Try different concentrations of seafood broth, tamarind soup bases, veggie broth, any flavor really.

Curry's are fantastic. Not only with seafood but beef, pork, chicken. OMG drooling now. Must have jungle curry.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I used to not like fish, but then I learned to always pick a MILD fish like flounder, grouper or tilapia and then put LOTS of fresh lemon juice on it. (after it is cooked with spices) I actually like it now--only the mild ones though.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is don't overcook your fish (no insultation taste). Fish is much less dense that other proteins like chicken or beef and cooks very quickly. Overcooked fish is AWFUL.

Make a parchment pouch, use lemon or lime and your favorite spices on a mild tilapia filet and bake in the oven. Yummy!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My husband will only eat canned tuna or canned salmon. No other seafood at all. He grew up in Baltimore - the crab cake capitol of the world - and won't eat it. He says it's because he knows what the Inner Harbor looks like and won't eat anything that comes from it.

But tuna and salmon don't come from "the ocean," they come from cans. :ohwell:

Canned tuna mixed with Ranch dressing is good, either with pasta or as a dip with crackers. And salmon cakes are yummy, too.

I gotta say... one of the yummiest things I've ever put in my mouth is sushi with eel. Sounds disgusting, but OMG, it's amazing. I think it's usually called "Black Dragon" or "Dragon Roll." :love:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Lots of great tips. I will make a point of trying at least one recipe and get back to you.

Fellow fish haters - are you in?
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I love Salmon or Mahi Mahi fish......I like to cook Mahi mahi in a pan with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Zantaran's Blackened Seasoning. Mahi Mahi is a white fish that really takes on what ever flavor you season it with.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried and I'm going to try again and eat fish.

I may even attempt to eat tuna again!

I just don't like the fish taste.

Here is a recipe that I'm going to try this week from Eat Right for Your Type book.

Broiled Fish
    6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, ghee or oil
    1 teaspoon hot sauce
    t tablespoon fresh ground garlic
    4 slices of your favorite fillet
    1 cup of puff rice cereal, crushed
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped

Melt butter, add hot pepper sauce and garlic. Pour 4 teaspoons into a glass rectangular baking dish. Arrange fillets, sprinkle with crumbs. Add rest of butter mixture on top of fillets.

Broil 10 o 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

Wish me luck, I'm going to buy Alaska Pollock as I believe that is a very mild fish.

Karen
  • mary5890
    Options
    Tilapia in the oven for about 20 minutes at 325. Cut up tomatoes, green pepper, onion in a bowl-sprinkle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and put on top of fish. Cover with foil. Good over rice.
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned BASA fish..at least as far as I noticed..........very good.......very very mild in taste........Walmart sells it too.........hubby wouldn't hardly touch fish, now he will eat BASA or Congrio (both very white fish) seared w/ Mrs. Dash and Obay seasonings...........hope this helps
  • dawn454
    dawn454 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Lots of great tips. I will make a point of trying at least one recipe and get back to you.

Fellow fish haters - are you in?

I've tried most of the milder ones mentioned and still say ewww! I've done spices, lemon etc.

Definately not in (a waste of my $$) , but good luck in your quest!:smile:
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Parmesan Tilapia

Serves 8 people

Sea Best - 3 oz Individual Tilapia Fillets, 32.01 oz 1,046 0 11 224 0 0
    Belgioioso - Parmesan Cheese (Hard), 4 oz (28 g) 440 0 28 40 0 0
    Valu Time - Sweet Cream Butter, 8 Tbls. 800 0 88 0 0 0
    Kraft - Miracle Whip Light Salad Dressing, 3 Tbsp 60 6 5 0 3 0
    Generic - Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1 fluid ounce 8 3 0 0 1 0
    Tone's - Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp. 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Tone's - Garlic Powder, 1 tsp 0 2 0 0 0 0
    Mccormick - Basil, Dried, 1.5 Tsp. 3 0 0 0 0 0
    Mccormick's - Celery Salt, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Adams - Onion Powder, 2 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0

INGREDIENTS Mix Parmesan cheese, butter (softened ), miracle whip, fresh lemon juice, dried basil , ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & celery salt together and set aside.
    DIRECTIONS Preheat your oven's broiler. Place Tilapia fillets on broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Put back in oven and broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to overcook the fish.