40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The plow finally came by and now I have to shovel the berm. At least I shoveled most of the snow away yesterday so its not that bad. I just hate it when they dont clear the roads right away and it ices up. Takes forever for the roads to clear when they do that. At least its pretty warm today.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day... Not looking forward to that. Oh well.

Hope your all having a great weekend!
  • tron3002
    Options
    Well thats it! I officially HATE scales. Last week it said I gain 1.5lbs and this week it said I gained 1.8 lbs which puts me into the over weight category. BUT I pulled out my tape measure and it shows I actually lost a little around my waist. So today I am gonna measure everything important and say F my scale! I dont care what you say!!!!! But seriously, so annoying!!!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Back at work after a lovely weekend with my sweetie. We had a romantic dinner on Friday night and stayed over at a nearby hotel in Gettysburg. After breakfast we took a drive down into Maryland. We saw a beautiful old Inn in Taneytown MD. I think we will stay there sometime in the future. Then we headed back up into PA and had a nice lunch at a place called VIVA in Reading. I actually went to the gym later in the afternoon. It was a wonderful trip and had a great time on our short getaway.

Nothing much to report tonight. After some sleep in the morning I will hit the gym again. The push is really on to get in shape before we go to Utah at the end of April.

Have a good night!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I did not report last Friday. :noway: I did step on the scale and of course it showed a gain, 128.2, last time I had logged in my weight was in June 2010, 122lbs but I know I had stepped on it probably in Oct or so and I remember being 127 so not bad at all!!! (I should change my ticker, that might motivate me to work harder) I knew I had gained because I can see it and feel it plus with all my injuries I have not been exercising as much as before. Also I always gain some during the Holidays, unfortunately. My eating is way much better, I am trying really hard to control my cravings. I really want to seriously start some kind of resistance trng but that is going to have to be carefully planned due to my injuries. My shoulder still bothers me, then my bad hip and of course my left foot is still hurting!!!! I truly think is the talus...I have two med appts this week, with my PCM about something else...and with my Ortho Dr for a hip follow up so will try to ask about my foot without having to make another appt.

Sing, glad you enjoyed your weekend with your honey. Who says "older" people cannot be romantic? Of course we can, it actually gets better with age!!! :wink:

Tron, I saw the picture you posted in FB, OMG, all that snow!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so spoiled here in SA, we have been having gorgeous weather, at times even hot in the 80's!!!! :noway: I also wish they had found the cause to my husband's issue...it keeps us wondering.

Altushe, nice to hear from you. Hang in there, I hope you get all your questions answered. I am glad you are feeling better. :drinker:

Pepper, no medical bills, fortunately he was seen at the military installation so we dont have to pay any extra costs...it is "free". He paid with his 20 yrs of military service plus a low monthly fee. Thank God for that!!!

Have a great week everyone!!!! I will try to keep checking in. :flowerforyou:
  • sabrina_11
    sabrina_11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 40+ and would love to join this group. I've been doing MFP for about 2 months now and really love the site. I've discovered after 40, you need all the help you can get to lose weight!? ;)
  • pepper06
    Options
    monday,monday-new snow,a nd now rain for the day. Seems chilly, but suppose to be around 40.
    hasd aday over the weekend that I just wanted junk food, so I did. now I feel like it is out of my system and I am good to go...tank goodness
  • LilOlMe69
    LilOlMe69 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone! Glad some of you are getting a glimpse of Spring, here in Yaki-Vegas, (Yakima) Washington, we got snow, AGAIN! SOOOOOO looking forward to Spring! Have a great week! :)
  • tron3002
    Options
    So, today I went on the treadmill for 30 minutes... I know that doesn't sound like very long but running on the hills just kills me. I can't wait to be in better shape.

Alf... I know huh, we got quite a bit of snow. The funny thing is I still talk to people that think it NEVER snows in California. When ever I mention snow they just say... Ya, ya, snow in sunny California where its always warm and you can lay on the beach all year round.... Really?!!!:laugh:

Sing... You sound like such a romantic. Want to give my husband some tips???? :wink:

sabrina_11.... Welcome!!!!

I have to run and take a quick shower I told my son I would pick him up from school today. Altho I shouldn't with these gas prices!!!:mad: :noway: :cry:
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ok ok the price of gas just went up another 20 cents here so my husband has agreed to walk with me daily to all of our nearest store. We live in a ski area so the local store are a little expensive but cheaper than gas right now. Pray the weather lightens up here in NEPA. My boots can handle a good daily hike through snow...though:)

Bring on March madness! Hugs to us 40ers
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. Is there a walking challenge somewhere around here? I don't want to go outside, but I'm going to have to. :laugh:
  • KimKelly65
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Im posting from home after work and errands. Been really busy at work lately. *Sigh*
    My daughter and I headed to Purdue University over the weekend for day with the Women in Engineering, it was a good visit. I walked and walked all around campus. For about two hours total...even though it was chilly! A good work out though.
    We had a great time! :smile:
    However now we're home she is sick. Fever, cough, sore throat, and general achiness. Poor thing! :frown:

I hope everyone had a good Monday!
    Welcome to the newbies!

3975190.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Havnt posted here in a while, but glad to be back. I am post night shift, so I am in bed shopping on line for a cute bathing suit. Title 9 has really nice ones. Goodbye to February! Can't wait for Spring!!!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,787 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Busy trying to catch up on all I missed while I was gone.

altushe, I'm SOOO glad you checked in. I've been thinking about you. I'm glad that reducing the gluten seems to have been helping you. How did the weigh-in go? Please keep us posted. I wish I could help you more with celiac disease, but I just don't know anybody who has it. But I'm sure there are alot of resources out there, and I hope you do go see your doctor about it.

alf, you're doing great!!! I think you should be so proud of that weigh-in. I haven't weighed myself since sometime last summer (before we shipped out household goods out of Korea in August). I don't think I'm going to weigh myself for a little while either! I'm just not ready, and I know I'll get obsessive about the number if I go back down that road right now.

singfree, so glad you enjoyed your time away with your wife. I love that you do those things together. Glad to hear things are going well with you and this new schedule.

To all the newcomers.....welcome!! Please keep posting.

Victorious_One, have you checked the fitness forum for a walking challenge? That would be my first guess if there was one on the board. If not....maybe in motivation. And if not that, then what are you looking for because I try to walk at least an hour a day, so I'm more than willing to challenge you!! :bigsmile:

Speaking of challenges, today is my first day doing the food/fitness challenge we set up here. I'm going to try to stick with it for seven weeks and take a week off for my anniversary/vacation. And then I'm going to go right back to it until my fitness challenge weekend in late July. I'm ready, and I think I can keep the cravings at bay with the allowance of 10% calories worth of 'treat' foods every now and again. At my calorie allowance, that's enough for a good glass of wine or a few pieces of dark chocolate (or a few peanut butter cups :blushing:).

I'm also starting P90X again today. :drinker: I can't believe it has been nearly 17 months since I finished it the first time. I'm really looking forward to it again. This time, I actually have a way of doing pull ups (something I didn't have last time), so, no doubt, it is going to be more challenging. Today is Chest/Back which, to me, is the best workout of the lot. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, it's just because I can't move. :laugh:

Hope this finds you all well! I missed you!
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I am new to this site and to this forum. My main goal for this spring is to become more consistent with walking, running and eating right. I have been on a roller coaster of eating well and exercising often to being sedentary and eating poorly for my whole life. Short term goal is to lose 10 pounds in March and 25 pounds by my 47th birthday in August. After that I will run my 8th marathon in November and set my sites on a 100 mile run next March. We'll see. Anyway, friend me if you would like, I could use the support.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!!! Same old same old for me... :laugh:

tmccutcheon, welcome to the group!!! You have some wonderful goals!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: 8th marathon this year? Wow!!!

Stiring, welcome back!!!! Awww, I miss P90X, yes!! I love chest/back!!!! I hope you can type tomorrow. :laugh:

At work, sorry has to be short...:flowerforyou:
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Have had a great week, I did 95 min. of cardio today and it felt great.
    Hope every one is having a good week!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    March Madness has begun
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Things are going pretty well here, both at work and with my diet & exercise. I'm goal oriented, so I have a plan in my mind and I'm going to stick with it.

As I mentioned in an earlier rant, er, post...beginning in March I am going to begin increasing my cardio. I've decided to just add a session of cardio to my usual workouts. At first I thought I was going to decrease my strength training as I increased cardio, but as an old gym rat, I just don't want to decrease the strength stuff just yet. I've tacked on a quick session of high intensity cardio to my workout, in addition to the other cardio i do. Not only does it burn more total cals, but it is building stamina as well. This will be helpful when the weather warms up and I can finally get my bike out for the season. My goal right now is to slowly burn off some fat while retaining most of the muscle gains. I haven't been tracking my calories, but I am eating better on this shift. Less junk food and no alcohol during the week.

Stiring, I'm glad you're back! I hope you enjoyed your trip. I still do elements of P90X sometimes at home, but nothing structured.

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,787 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

singfree, I think your current workout plan sounds great. I'm glad you've been enjoying those strength gains. No doubt they'll help your cardio as well.

tmccutcheon, welcome! Your fitness goals are amazing!! Good luck!!!!

All here is well. I got through P90X Chest/Back yesterday (and Ab Ripper X). Such a great workout. I also did a cardio session. Today is Plyo X (plus cardio). My eating yesterday was MUCH better. I'm determined to stick with our challenge. I really need to do that and get this eating issue under control.

Hope you all have a great day.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning!!! :drinker: I'm enjoying a cup of coffee/green tea!!! :noway: I love to drink coffee but have been wanting to cut back and drink more green tea which has so many benefits that I keep reading about. This morning I put a tea bag with the coffee grounds in the coffee maker and it takes soooo good. BTW I dont put sugar in my coffee and I drink it with skim milk or at work with a little of fat free half and half. And I am enjoying my favorite breakfast, 1/3 cup of old fashioned oats, 1/3 c skim milk, 1/4 c mixed frozen berries, 1/2 oz walnuts, 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein. Soooooooooooooooooo delicious!!!! Going to a med appt, hopefully the doctor has some time to talk about my foot pain since this appt is for something else...gotta love Tricare system. yeah right!!! :noway: :grumble:

Sing, great to hear from you and that you are doing so well. I wouldnt decrease the strength trng if I were you. Keep up the good work. It sounds like you are dealing with working night shift really well.

Stiring, good to hear you are not very sore from the workout. Plyo X, so much fun!!!! :drinker: My eating has been really good as well lately. I just hope I can keep it up. I know you can do it!!!! :flowerforyou:

gbryant, great job on your long cardio workout!!!!! :drinker:

Yes, LadyPersia, March Madness....BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! starting to see more and more ads for bathing suits etc so it is time to work hard!!!!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to be another gorgeous day in San Antonio!!!