CHOCOLATE!!!

Options
So I believe I'm beginning to rely on chocolate. It's horrible when dieting its empty calories and full of sugar. Which is a main thing I don't need.Does anyone know something that I can substitute for chocolate? Hershey's kisses are my favorite and I only have 3 a day but I feel like I cheat when I do....

Replies

• savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    Well I eat the Special K protein bars... they are chocolate covered :love:
  • chewy8874042
    chewy8874042 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I totally say reward yourself -especially if it's only 3! Moderation and log it! Also, Hershey's cocoa powder if useful ~ I flavor oatmeal with it if I want chocolate first thing in the morning. :) Only 10 calories.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I warm up a deep chocolate Vita Top in the microwave :) 100 calories and gives me my chocolate fix. You can get them in the freezer section :)
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Stop feeling guilty for eating what fits your taste!

Feel guilty if you miss you daily calorie-goal instead :wink:

Or setup rules, like I did (see signature). Maybe it helps if you eat at least some fruit, when you feel the urge to eat chocolate. Make it an habit.

Urge to eat chocolate -> eat fruits instead -> wait 10-15min. if there is still an urge to eat chocolate -> eat it ;)

Maybe you will once overcome the dependence on chocolate.
  • hilhall822
    hilhall822 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of the cocoa powder in oatmeal- I'm going to have to try that! I love the fiber one oats & chocolate bars- they really do taste like candy to me (lost of chocolate drizzle & chips inside).
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Well I eat the Special K protein bars... they are chocolate covered :love:
    I second this. Just get protein bars that are low in fat. Special K are decent enough.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    try some Cocoa Almonds!!! that always fixes my chocolate cravings.
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Im probably the wrong person to answer bc I LOVE chocolate and try to squeeze in dark chocolates at least once a week or two weeks BUT if I was giving chocolate up I would try low fat yogurt or chocolate pudding. BUT then again instead of giving it up, just try to have more self control and not eat 3 pieces a day. Not that 3 pieces is bad but too much of a good thing can be bad for you.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I totally say reward yourself -especially if it's only 3! Moderation and log it! Also, Hershey's cocoa powder if useful ~ I flavor oatmeal with it if I want chocolate first thing in the morning. :) Only 10 calories.

Totally agree!! Nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with a small bit of chocolate: the darker the better. Or try a cup of Swiss Miss no added sugar hot chocolate....about 60 cals and none of the guilt. And as someone already mentioned, the cocoa dusted almonds by Diamond rock!
  • Allison29
    Options
    I just discovered dark chocolate almond milk and I LOVE it. Totally takes off that sweet craving.
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Especially if you can treat yourself to the good chocolate, it's more than just "empty calories". Anti-oxidants!
    For me, though, I can't limit myself to one piece of chocolate as a daily thing, so I drink a cup of hot cocoa instead; it's warm, filling, and chocolaty.

But either way you do it, treating yourself a little each day can curb binging. Plus, it doesn't put you in the "food denial" state of mind.
  • 4meeshka
    4meeshka Posts: 1
    Options
    i eat an ounce of dark chocolate almost every day. when i try to stop eating it i find i substitute that desire with more calories in other foods and sweets. so why not have what i LOVE. just in moderation. if you have the willpower, and you do (ie. 3 kisses) then i say keep it in your life and just don't go overboard. the protein bars are a good idea too but i think they wind up being more calories.
  • jessicalhall85
    Options
    fiber one bars are actually really yummy too! :)
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm finding too that I'm relying on chocolate and I stopped losing. I'm relying on my light hot chocolates now, but if I have to have chocolate, I try and find a CMX bar. They're super yummy and have bitter melon and stuff to counteract the effect on the blood sugar. If I can't find it, then I try and go for 75% or higher. I used to prefer milk, but now I'm totally into the dark chocolate.....

Also, if you don't want to try the light hot chocolate because of the artificial sugars, someone here suggested to me that you heat up some almond milk - I use vanilla and it completely knocks out the chocolate craving - it tastes a little like ovaltine....but I'm slowly subbing it in. Just make sure to get the unsweetened.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm with the 'everything in moderation' folks. ;-) If you can get yourself onto dark chocolate you're eating less sugar with the added benefit of antioxidants. I always have a Lindt 90% bar handy. Doesn't take much of that to satisfy the craving.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    as someone else said, the chocolate vitatops are AMAZING. i also make these little chocolate blobs all the time, not exactly low fat but the ingredients are all healthy and it really takes care of my chocolate craving:

ingredients:
    1/4 cup lightly salted cashews
    1/4 cup coconut date rolls (or medjool dates, but i like the rolls way better)
    vanilla
    water
    2 T dark cocoa powder

blend the cashews in a food processor until they turn into fine crumbs. then add in the dates and cocoa powder and process until the mixture looks VERY crumbly. then add in a splash of vanilla extract and a teaspoon or so of water and process again. the mixture should form into a sticky blob, if it's still too crumbly add more water or vanilla. roll into balls and then die in a pool of chocolatey bliss because what you're eating is so freaking good and healthy at the same time!
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    also if you want to make your own chocolate, this recipe is so easy and REALLY good, also quite healthy, containing good fats and fiber. a much better alternative than hersheys kisses if you're looking for something with a few health benefits :)

1 T coconut oil
    1.5 T agave nectar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 T cocoa powder   

melt the coconut oil and agave in the microwave (mine takes forever because my microwave sucks, so i can't really give a precise estimate, for people without a sucky microwave i'm thinking anywhere from 10-30 seconds)
    add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract & stir, then the add 2 Tbsp cocoa powder & stir until it forms a thick luscious chocolate sauce. you can eat it just like this (makes an amazing dip for apples, pears and bananas!) or freeze it into plastic wrap and cut into cubes which are equally delicious.
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What?? Chocolate???

*drool*
  • alight494
    alight494 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i am not a really big chocolate fan but more a sweet fan, the one thing i found that fufills both are fiber one bars in the cereal isle, they have one that are only 90 calories per bar, one is straight chocolate and the other is peanut butter chocolate...they are sooooo good and a great source of fiber which keeps you feeling fuller...our nutritionist at the hospital i work at also recommends the south beach one too. she says low on calorie/carbs and high on taste.... give them a try...
  • bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    oh wow, I am trying that chocolate recipe! thank you!!