When do you find TIME to work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    "I found out that our company will allow an hour and a half if you commit to working out at lunch. So, I do it then and have a much more productive afternoon! "

babsonegvsu-

you are so lucky. My company pays us for a 1 hour lunch, but 1 1/2 would be perfect. That gives you enough time to work out and shower and get dressed.

LUCKY, LUCKY YOU!

I swear I would work out before work and on lunch if I had that deal!
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I found out that our company will allow an hour and a half if you commit to working out at lunch. So, I do it then and have a much more productive afternoon!

Again....so lucky....I am jealous!
  • Flocker
    Options
    How about working out during your lunch break? I find that a great stress reliever during the day.

I go home and let the pooch out at lunch. We go for a quick 2 block walk every day. I've thought about walking here at work outside, but I work in a, we'll say, mildly unsafe neighborhood.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky - the main source of my exercising is biking, and all of my friends are cyclists. So, we usually go out for anywhere from 6-30 miles a night, every other night.
  • Juliebean
    Options
    I found out that our company will allow an hour and a half if you commit to working out at lunch. So, I do it then and have a much more productive afternoon!

Wow, that's soooo nice! I would love that! I walk in the basement on my breaks. I usually combine my 2 breaks so that I can walk longer at once. It's great, especially in the summer time when it's hot outside and I don't want to sweat like a pig, but I would kill for an hour and a half workout lunch. Yay for you!

And to answer the question, I workout at night, usually around 8pm or so. I used to have trouble sleeping through the nights and I've found that if I work out for my 45 mins, jump in the shower, and then go to bed I don't wake up nearly as often. So, that's what works best for me. I've been trying to set my alarm all week for 6am (the time I would need to get up in order to work out, shower, and get to work on time) but so far, every day I have re-set my alarm when it goes off. :yawn: :embarassed:
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My neighbour and I have been getting together to do a workout video 3-5 times a week for a few months now. The catch is that we've had to meet up at 9pm. Neither one of us are morning people either and this way I get a better nights sleep too. At 9pm you don't have a couple of hours to workout though so we have found Turbo Jam, Biggest Loser Cardio Max and 30 Day Shred give us the most calorie burn in the least amount of time. I hope that helps a little bit. Get the exercise in whenever works best for you.
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital and they just opened an employee gym literally down the hall from my office...
    Before I had that luxury I would eat my lunch at my desk or on a break and bring my tennies and some hand weights and walk the whole 30 minutes of my lunch....
    I have a toddler and 2 teenagers in football and a hubby...so no time when I get home ....
    but I try to take walks with baby in the stroller at the football field while the boys practice...
  • tpdance
    Options
    I would recommend making some time during your lunch break to workout. Instead of eating lunch (eat mini meals thru out the day while working) then on that 1hr break do cardio or strength training. OR if u get to take 10-15 min breaks thru out day workout then, that would be 2-3 combined 10-15 min workouts (equals total of 30 min/day). Check out websites for suggestions: self.com, fitnessmagazine.com, womansday.com, etc.

Good Luck! I am not a morning person either!!! it kills me to get up at 8a, my work day is much like yours!! I need my 8.5-9 hrs of sleep each night! :smile:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    SO many of you get up at 5 or 5:30. That is so crazy to me! :yawn:
    I luuuuuuurve my sleep. I think Hubby would kill me, too, if I woke him up that early!:grumble:

Like with any change you're performing here, you have to change your attitude before things will change for you. If you think that you're missing out on sleep because you get up and workout, you'll never do it. It's like the belief that life is not possible without chocolate.

It's a frame of mind. You have to just do it or not do it. The only one it will effect either way is you.
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    The last few months my company switched our hours from 8-5 to 9-7.
    By the time I get out of work, make dinner for me and hubby, let the dog out, clean up from dinner, shower, etc... the night's over.:huh:
    I could work out in the extra morning hour, but I am sooo not a morning person. I usually end up going back to sleep for the extra hour.
    What do you guys do???

haha - maybe I'm just a liberal independent woman, but I would say go to the gym straight from work and if hubby didn't want to wait for you to get home from the gym to eat dinner, then he could cook dinner for you.

kind of harsh I guess...
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    By the time I get out of work, make dinner for me and hubby, let the dog out, clean up from dinner, shower, etc... the night's over.:huh:
    I could work out in the extra morning hour, but I am sooo not a morning person. I usually end up going back to sleep for the extra hour.
    What do you guys do???

haha - maybe I'm just a liberal independent woman, but I would say go to the gym straight from work and if hubby didn't want to wait for you to get home from the gym to eat dinner, then he could cook dinner for you.

kind of harsh I guess...

AMEN LAPETITE!!
    Make that man cook dinner!!
    :smile:
  • Flocker
    Options
    I luuuuuuurve my sleep. I think Hubby would kill me, too, if I woke him up that early!:grumble:

Like with any change you're performing here, you have to change your attitude before things will change for you. If you think that you're missing out on sleep because you get up and workout, you'll never do it. It's like the belief that life is not possible without chocolate.

It's a frame of mind. You have to just do it or not do it. The only one it will effect either way is you.

Um... Are you REALLY suggesting that life IS possible without chocolate???:noway:
    Just kidding.
    Great advice, everyone. Thanks much!:flowerforyou: :smile: :bigsmile:
  • Flocker
    Options
    What do you guys do???

kind of harsh I guess...
    Yeah, he uses the excuse that I'm a veggie and he's not to not cook for me. He does occasionally cook for himself, but I still have to make my own dinner. And clean up. :) Besides, I really hate eating that late. I can never sleep if I eat too close to bed.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I am in a unique situation where my job requires me to do Physical Fitness 3 times a week (military)but I also go after work every night and run saturday mornings...
    I get off work at 4;30 and head straight to the family YMCA that is on my way home... it was too easy to go home when I wasnt paying to go to the gym... now that I have to pay for it and they have the fitlinxx system it makes me work harder since I want to be in the top 20 for the point system they have.
    I used to get up at 230 in the morning and work out and it lasted about 4 months but nothing beyond that I was too tired!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

I'm in the 5 am group. This is my favorite part of the day. There is almost never a time conflict at that time of the day. I don't usually wake up my wife, often she gets up and says "aren't you riding today" and I'm already back and showered.

It's easy as long as I get up at 5 everyday. I now wake before the alarm and I feel much more energized at work than I did before. When I tried it 3 days a week however I crashed. It's too hard to get up at 5 one day and 6:30 the next.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 am too. Although I don't always work out. Sometimes I wake up too tired to work out. But I try to get up everyday at 5 am to get myself used to it.
    Up until a couple weeks ago, I was sleeping until 6 or 6:30am. Then I decided that I just had to start waking up to work out - no more excuses I told myself. This coincided with my kids going back to school which of course makes all morning a littel more hectic and stressful. MY husband leaves for work at 5am so he's a non issue in the morning.
    I hate mornings too! I am the person who'd sleep til noon on weekends. But I found that I was just making excuses....saying I didn't have time to workout was my excuse for not losing weight.
    If I don't workout in the morning, I do it as soon as I get home. The husband and kids will feed themselves and leave some leftovers for me.

I found what works for me and you'll find what schedule will work for you too!

If you set your mind to it and your really commit and you really do want to work out and be healthy - then you will either get up early or workout in the evening.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Morning gal here. I run w/ my buddies 3 days a week at 4:45AM. It's great to KNOW that you have someone waiting for you, and can drag myself outta bed!! I lift weights 2 nights a week w/ my dh when he gets home from work around 4:30, then we eat dinner around 5:30. I swim one night a week while my dd's are in swimming lessons.

So basically, whenever I can fit it in. I think early mornings are the best way to get it in and no excuses!!

Jess
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital and they just opened an employee gym literally down the hall from my office...

Me too. Literally - it is about 60 feet from my desk to the gym. Our hospital is a network of 3 hospitals and they have 3 gyms I can use if I want to.

I work 9a-5:30p and I work out after work. I could go before work, but I hate carting my good clothes in from the parking lot in the nosebleed section and it would take me 45 minutes just to dry my hair after a shower. I like sleeping til 7am, having BREAKFAST with my honey who works graveyard and gets home at 7. We spend an hour hanging out watching news and ThirdWatch reruns and I leave at 8:20 and get to work with 20 minutes to 'settle in'. So far it's working.

Just exercise when you get home. Theres nothing wrong with starting your workout at 8pm.
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    My hubby gets up for work at 6, and I do as well to make his lunch and send him off. Then I get in 45 minutes of pilates since I don't have to be at work until 8:30. I also walk for 25 minutes on my lunch break or do yoga in my cubicle if it's really hot/cold/rainy, etc. Then after work I run about 2 miles (as far as I can get for now). All total, it's not quite 2 hours I put in on any given day.

I hardly ever do all three in same day. Sometimes I just do one, others two. I find that by breaking it up like that, I can make excuses, but hardly for all three!
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I work out either after work, and before dinner... or in the morning. You could always do a shorter workout, maybe a 20-30 minute one on the days you dont have time.