WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I just caught up on posts. Welcome all our newbies. Mary, you can post as much as you want - I love hearing from you. I've been doing an online class that has taken up my computer time. Now this week, it's jury duty by day and squeezing my clients in at night. My DH is in charge of meals as a result and although we had a long discussion with friends on Sunday about nutrition and health, he planned pizza for tonight and grilled cheese for tomorrow. :grumble:

Feb to June is a tough eating time period because all of the birthdays and anniversaries in our family are during these months.
    (Happy birthday AuntieBK - i'm a March baby, too). Last week at my son's surprise bd party, I had two bites of the cake which is very good for me given my sweet addiction. However the food choices were a taco bar, potato balls, potato salad and sugar laden drinks. I was smart enough to have a protein drink right before the party. At my other son's bd dinner, good dinner choices but had to have the #@%& cannoli. So I seem to lose a couple pounds during the week and after a sweets/wine indulged weekend I get it back.:sad: Someone quoted Joyce Meyers in a previous post - I just really need to just say no to sugar.

I don't know if any of you are NCIS fans but the actor who plays McGee has gotten extremely thin, 25lbs and he says he just cut out sugar and alcohol. And lost a pound every 1-2 weeks.

Well lovely ladies, I expect to be back soon. My class ended and I always get rejected by the lawyers in the interview process.

Joy
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Posting to get March into my topics. I haven't read the thread since about 2/11, so will have to catch up.

I did see one comment a couple of weeks back from Mimi about not dealing well with Smart phone touch screens. Just want to mention that there are many Android phones that include a physical keyboard. I had much the same opinion as Mimi about touchscreen keyboarding, but I am now amazed at how easily using it now comes to me. I also had to mess with a friend's I-Phone recently, and I found it much less easy to navigate in than the Android OS. I think it is because the Android navigation parallels the Windows OS more than the I-phone. I haven't had any experience with the new Windows phones, so I can't compare them with the other two.

I will take some time in the next couple of days to catch up on all the postings. I have been sick for the last week, so not doing much of anything.

Hope everyone is well.

If you think I am ignoring anything significant because I didn't comment on it at this time, remember, I haven't read the last two weeks of Feb. or anything on the March thread as I write this.

Catch up soon.

Barb
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Barbara, Faye and Joy - lots of March babies it seems.

:flowerforyou: Barb hope you feel better soon

:drinker: Welcome to all newcomers, keep posting so we can get to know you.

:smile: I've set my goals for March, now the hard part to actually do them :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thanks to my good friend Cindy at work, I've been out running a few lunchtimes a week. We run - well in my case run and walk - about 2.2 miles and it takes us about 35 - 40 mins depending on how tired I feel :bigsmile: Just time to get a quick shower before getting back to our desks within the 1 hour lunch break. Jane who I job share with then goes for a run herself, we are both trying to get fitter and lose weight. Cindy is a fit as a flea and is so slim we hate her (only joking!!)

Joy, NCIS has started a new series over here in the UK and I thought McGee was looking a lot slimmer - I'm not sure I can cut out sugary things altogether, but I think I'm gonna have to try and reduce my sugary treats .

Chiclet I hope the medicine given to your mum for bipolar disorder helps and that you notice a difference in her soon.

Sorry will have to dash to work - it's getting late and I am nowhere near ready.

Bye for now

Viv xx
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Hey Lynn. Thanks for the get well wishes. I am starting to feel better today. I haven't been eating much and not exercising at all. I thought I would lose but not an ounce. So I guess exercise is really the key. Hopefully will feel well enought to do eliptical tonight. I see you are exercising. Keep up the good work. The pounds will fall eventually. Calroies in, calories out.
    smwert
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Thanks Smwert! Ditto!:flowerforyou:

Joy- I had noticed McGee too..."hang in there" with your busy week.:flowerforyou:

I, too, did not read all of February, due to my internet being down, so if I left some people out, it was not intentional.:noway:

HAve a good one!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Lynn, I was taking a look at your diary. I notice you don't track sodium. You might be surprised by how much you may be consuming. That really makes losing hard. Also be careful about the entries you choose. Since they are input by members some people don't include all nutrients. For example the yellow cake with chocolate frosting you have been enjoying doesn't have any sugar grams in the listing. I am sure that there is sugar in it. probably a lot.. So you aren't always getting accurate micro nutrient totals. My other gut feeling is that you may not be eating quite enough. For me I have to eat every 3 hours or so and breakfast is a solid nutritional start for my metabolism to run all day. I am by no means an expert and I have been struggling myself lately (my issue is falling back to old habits and not working out 5 hours a day like I was) but I thought I would offer my opinion since you asked for it:tongue:

chiclet, hang in there. I hope the meds work for you mom and things will be better for you. In the mean time remember that we are here for you.

to all of you wonderful women, I read every post every day but with the job I just don't have the time to really respond as much as I used to. I still love you all:love:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Emma is feeling better but had a field trip today so heather thought it best she did not go to school. So I have her, rhea and byron. really better with both of them cause they play together. NCIS is one of our very favorite shows. We have noticed Magee's weight loss. In fact last night when we watched my husband said it looked like he was even thinner. He looks very good. glad to know it is sugar he cut out since that is what I have done. waiting for it to start melting off. LOL Barb so good to hear from you. sorry you were ill hope you are better. I miss your humor. come back to us soon. Newcomers welcome. You will love this site. I do not have enough time or know how to post to each of you so forgive me if I forget to comment on something. Chiclet sounds like you may be turning a corner. Hope the meds work for you mom. You need to get out for at least 30-60 min each day for walk, shop, whatever but do it. You need the time for yourself so you can better deal with her. You know I think old people turn back into children as they age so treat her like a child when she acts like a child. If her behavior is not nice just ignore it. She will want your attention so she will learn what kind of attention you respond to. I know it is hard but we are here for you. I sent Linda from Bahrain a private message but no response yet. We are having Mardi Gras here so have a break next week. Beth raymond and Regan are going to DC for her trip for school so Heather has Ray jr and rhea and of course I will help her. So partial week off. Looking forward to easter break cause kenneth and I are going to VA for a week. Need a private break. Trying to get as much weight off as possible so I will be able to be active and have fun. Sorry if I missed any posts but cant remember them all. Have a good day ladies.
    Vicki M
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Glad to transition to this new thread. I have logged my food and looked at my progress for the month. I really seem to be stuck, gaining and losing the same 4 pounds over and over. I had a tough couple of days this week. We came back from the conference and found that our whole department had been cut. I am really alright.....this was one of my part time jobs and I have a pension. I will miss the work we were doing and the income is needed to supplement. I feel so bad for my boss...she is devastated. We all got a cold/sinus thing during our stay so I think the combination of all of this has been a little down. I am without a car until later this afternoon and I teach my yoga class tonight so I think that will help a lot. I really need to think of goals for this month. Getting to the gym 5 days a week is a big one for me.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    It's that time of year again.........................Girl Scout cookies.

How are you going to handle it this year?

Me? I will just eat them, exercise more and get back on track when they run out. I have limited myself on how many boxes I will buy this year, but that is more for financial reasons. They are $3.50 a box now. Those little girls outside grocery stores are just so cute and the cookies are just so good.

I actually did some running yesterday to try and make up for the Trefoils and hot choco I had for snack. lol

Jeannie

PS: I am at work and hope to catch up on posts tonight. I hope everyone is doing well.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Barb - Feel better soon!

Chiclet - Yeah for you - losing weight, standing up for yourself, and getting your Mom the help that she needs! Hope the medicine works for her - keep us posted! And hope that you get better too!

Jeannie - Since I have a firm belief that Girl Scout cookies come in single serving packs, I am trying to stay away. We will see how it goes.

I am trying to talk myself back to the swimming pool, but after a long hiatus, my "lazy" woman is protesting. But "want to be fit" woman is talking back to her a lot. We'll see who wins tomorrow, which would be my only opportunity to go this week.

Here's to smart choices! Sending positive thoughts to all!
  • anniebnannie
    anniebnannie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

It's wonderful reading all your posts! However, I realize I must get "with it" and create my signature and goals for March! I'm thinking a 5 lb loss would be awesome. I started Yoga and I want to do that at least 5 times x week (just cuz it FEELS so good). Am back on the treadmill and am committed 5 x week on that.

We have a Wii in the house. Does anyone have a favorite Wii workout that they could recommend?

I'll post more later ~ but I wanted to mark my spot so I could find you all again - lol

Oh and how do you do all those cute emoticons and stuff?
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I am trying to talk myself back to the swimming pool, but after a long hiatus, my "lazy" woman is protesting. But "want to be fit" woman is talking back to her a lot. We'll see who wins tomorrow, which would be my only opportunity to go this week.

Okay, I just did it! I emailed and committed myself to swimming tomorrow with a swim buddy. (Deep breath) I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I KNOW I CAN!

Smileys, you ask? When you are posting, click on "add smiley" in the upper right corner, and click away! :wink:
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thanks for such a warm welcome! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I teach preschool two days a week at our church. The rest of the time, I try to work out, do a little reading, quilt, and just keep up with the housework and laundry! I've been married 25 years and we have two boys in college. One is a freshmen and the other is graduating in May. Boy, where does the time go?

For my March goals, I would love to lose four pounds. And I plan on writing down every bite I eat-which can be a challenge at time!:wink:
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Just logging in quickly, had a quick read of the news and will come back later...... byeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    SuzyQ-You did great with your recent weight loss! :flowerforyou: Are you going to sell this house when you finish it?

I certainly hope not! We bought this place planning for it to be our keeper... but then, who knows what the future holds for any of us... I've learned to never say never! Once we get the floors redone, the exterior doors replaced and the flowerbeds back in shape, it will be perfect! Hubby will have to pry me outta here with a crowbar :wink:

:flowerforyou: CHICLET, So glad to read your mom news. Sounds like your doctor is a real gem. I was never able to lose weight while caring for my Mom. You are amazing!

Its been a gorgeous spring-like day here. I am keeping my 3 yr old great nephew and his 19 mo old sister today while their parents go to the obgyn. Baby #3 is due in mid-April. They are both napping after playing outdoors most of the morning.

For those of you who remember my DiL issues things are improving in that department, Our son popped in for a few days in conjunction with a business trip in January, First time we had laid eyes on him in 26 months! Shortly after he arrived home we were invited to come spend a week with them in April or May. I don't know what he said to her, but she actually seems to be trying now. We will visit them the week after Easter.

Think I'll treat myself to some cool whip and blueberries. Yum! :wink:
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for the welcome. I lost 1 1/2 lbs today so the exercise has gone from hindering to helping again as I knew it would!
    Chicklet, I love your avatar! Do you make jewellry?
    anniebnannie, I have had a wii for nearly 2 years. I dusted it off in January and have used it nearly every day since :smile: It depends what you want to do re exercise. If you haven't done anything for years, then Wiifit + is a gentle way to start. The cycling is fun and addictive and only really needs you to walk in place on the board. Wii step is a little bit more energetic but still achievable if you're starting from scratch. If you feel more energetic, EA Sports Active is a challenge, but gets results very quickly, but if money is a problem then The Biggest Loser is good value, and if you feel like a good swear! The 30 day Shred dvd is tough but cheap!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Jeannie- It will be easy for me to handle Girl Scout Cookie time--- They switched it to the fall in my area so I can just put it off for several months. This is the easy way out.:laugh:

Sally sorry to hear about your dept. being cut. I also am retired but took on a part time job and that little bit of extra cash is nice! I have been getting to the gym several times a week, but have not been able to get to a yoga class. I think it would be a great class to get to. Hopefully, I can find one to fit my schedule.

Mary- I wanted to tell you to just push that "Lazy" woman aside and get to the pool, then I say in another post that you comitted to go with a friend. Good for you! You will be glad you went.

Suzy- I'm so jealous of you spring like day. It is still cold here. To add insult to injury, DH is off to Florida next week without me.I don't have as much vacation time as he does. I hope I can hang in there until we go to Myrtle Beach mid-April.

I am trying to give up eating my hershey kisses this month. I so look forward to them at night, but realize I am addicted to them. My problem is that I'm afraid that I will just replace them with something else, like a glass of wine! Off to book club this afternoon to discuss "Unbroken." This evening i will make it to the gym for zumba.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I am trying to give up eating my hershey kisses this month. I so look forward to them at night, but realize I am addicted to them. My problem is that I'm afraid that I will just replace them with something else, like a glass of wine!

Have you considered buying the dark chocolate ones and keeping them in the freezer? You'll be surprised how satisfying just 1 can be if you pop it in your mouth and let it slowly melt instead of chewing it up. Just sayin :tongue:
  • icubsn98
    icubsn98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been so swamped with work, life and other demands. I haven't logged in for a bit. I have been trying to stay within the calorie goal and work out each day. Will be back soon to catch up on at least recent posts. I hope everyone is getting off to a great start this month.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    IceskatefanRN - after mrsanderson mentioned how great a cook you are (and I don't doubt it for one minute), can you give me some quick, easy, ways to incorporate beans (pinto, kidney, etc) into my diet. My goal for Lent will be to have beans at at least 2 meals. For some reason, I don't like the texture. Now I have no problem with having hummus, as a matter of fact I like it. Edamame, same thing. But cannoli beans, red kidney, etc. that I have a problem with the texture. Honestly, I in one sense blame my mother because she never really cooked beans so I wasn't exposed to them. As a kid I didn't eat mushrooms, but she cooked them and I was exposed to them, today I eat them. I probably need to start out slowly, not a bowl of just beans -- at least not at first. So can you give me some ideas on cooking them? Do you have the nutritional values of the dishes?

oh, another thing - a friend of ours usually has a St. Patty's day open house. I'm thinking about taking a jello mold with me. Can you put the jello mold into a bundt cake pan? If so, what would you suggest that I put in the center? What do you think of red grapes? The red and green would contrast each other, I would think. Any other ideas?

And one more thing for anyone - As you know, they usually celebrate the month's birthdays at the Y with some sort of "party". Well, I'm going to make this triple chocolate cheesecake. Only problem that I can think of right now is that whatever I usually make, I just leave the rest there. However, there's that bottom on the cheesecake pan. How can I make the cheesecake but take it out of the pan and maybe put it on a plate that I can leave there? I'm afraid that putting even heavy-duty aluminum foil on the bottom won't be strong enough to lift the cake out of the pan so I can leave the rest of the cake there.

fittocycle - welcome.

oh, we went to the Mexican train dominoes tonight. Jessica called while we were there. Seems that one of her housemates didn't latch the door and we assume the wind blew it open. She's fostering two cats for the Humane Society, one of which is diabetic. Well, that cat went out. So it's been about 24 hours since he's had his insulin. I just feel so badly for her. I can hardly imagine what she's going thru. Update: 3:30 the next day. Still haven't heard from her. I'm going to try to think optimistically that "no news is good news" but somehow I have this sick feeling that that won't happen.

chicklet - I do hope that bipolar med works!

Jeannie - I plan to handle the Girl Scout cookies this year the same as last year, I'll buy the ones that Vince likes that I don't. Jessica likes them, too. They were $3.50 a box in FL but they are $4 a box up here. No fair frogmamma!

annie - I'm not crazy at all about the strength on the Wii, They do one muscle but not the opposing muscle (they do biceps but no triceps). I do like the hula hoop and some of the balance games, tho. I'm not real crazy about the yoga. I know that I need more when doing the step, so I don't do that one.

suzyq - I was about to suggest to frogmama about having a piece of dark chocolate too! It seems to really fill me up and satisfy me.

Tonight is our next-to-last bowling session. We're going to go out to eat with a few other couples. I've already scoured their menu, I'll get the steamed chicken and vegetables. They told me it comes with a sauce but I can request the sauce on the side, which I'll do.

So in case I don't get back in here, have a great evening everyone!

Michele