chicken and rice diet

Options
i have been trying to lose weight for a long time but i keep giving up after a day or two, i am thinking of just eating rice and chicken for a month or so, just to get me started, so if i lose some i won't let myself gain that back, would anyone else like to give it a go??

Replies

• HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not a great idea. You will be misisng out on a lot of vital nutrients that other foods will give you.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many carbs are in rice? You have to be doing some heavy duty exercising to compensate for consuming a lot of carbs. Rice is one thing (along with pasta, bread, sugar, flour) that I purposely avoid since I have started dieting. That's just how I do it. My trainer told me the only time a person should eat large amounts of rice is if they are "carbing up" for a marathon or something. This is how I have to do it....use your own judgement.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Chickien and rice diet, mmm, now that is something I can go for--I'm Puerto Rican :).
    But on a serious note, I'm all for a well-rounded diet and eating a little here and a little there in moderation. And vegetables are sooo important for us, I couldn't cut them out completely, I'm actually trying to increase my veggie intake.
  • swbmcknight
    Options
    well, you have to be careful with that kind of menu. Rice is high in carbs, and depending on how you get your chicken, if it's pre-packaged it can be crazy high in salt. That, and after about a week, you're going to HATE the smell of chicken and rice.
    A diet of just one or two foods will always fail. You won't get enough vitamins, minerals, fiber, ect. ect.
    I've found that if i just don't buy my "bad" foods like cookies, candy, brownies I do alot better. I take my husband shopping along with me so I can't cheat. If the stuff isn't in the house, easy to get to, I'm alot less likely to eat it. Granted, during my period I will drive to the store at 2am in the cold for some chocolate though lol
    I'm not a huge fan of fish, but after 3 weeks of chicken, salmon is looking pretty darn tasty.
    If all you want to do is get things kick started, just cut out all carbs. Buy TONS of veggies and lean protein. You'll be full and regular!
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster. You need veggies and fruits and nuts - the variety makes sure that you get all of the nutrients that your body needs to stay healthy. Besides, for me... when I get bored with the foods I'm eating, that's when I'm more likely to binge.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How about trying this:
    A carb (rice) and a protein (chicken) at each meal and all the green vegetables you want.

Meal Time Serving & Food Group
    Breakfast 8:00 AM 1 serv. protein & 1 serv. carb
    Lunch 12:00 PM 1 serv. protein & 1 serv. carb
    Afternoon 4:00 PM 1 serv. carb
    Dinner 8:00 PM 1 serv. protein & 1 serv. carb

For men, two servings of protein instead of one.
  • mama_mia3
    mama_mia3 Posts: 66
    Options
    I would have to agree...not a good idea. You NEED your fruits and veggies!!
  • mdhobson
    mdhobson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Question: Why only chicken and rice? Will you not eat vegetables? Suggestion (1) For the first 14 days, eat only vegs, fruit, a little chicken, a little turkey, (baked of course and no skin), eggs, cheese, and nuts. Make water your only liquid. I lost almost 10 lbs that first two weeks with no exercise. Just imagine how much I would have lost if I did? This came from a doctor, not a plan I found on line. It was to cut carbs out of your diet. If you have to have carbs than Suggestion (2) may be for you. Try following th 50 million pound free (online) diet plan. Dr. Ian gives you about 4 meals a day and 2 snacks and you get to eat everything it's just in porportions. The first week on this plan I lost 7lbs. I had everything from salad to spaghetti. Just don't limit your self to 1 or 2 things. Just some suggestion...whatever you do, exercise. That was my mistake. Good luck.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is very limiting. I would get tired of that FAST! Enjoy nature's bounty of veggies and fruits and whole grains. You will not feel so deprived and it is healthier than something that is so limiting. Just my opinion. Of course, you can do whatever sounds good to you. I know I always do. I listen to the advice of my other MFP peeps. Sometimes they help me to "see the light". Sometimes I am stubborn and do what I think is best. Anyway, whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best and hope that you will be successful. :flowerforyou:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible idea. If you can't make it a few days keeping calories down, how on earth will you eat only chicken and rice for a month? Not to mention, you will be severely deficient in important vitamins and minerals.

Eat sensibly. Eat a varied diet. Eat within the calories MFP allots you. You will lose weight but it will not happen in one day. Give it a full week and see what happens! It will be a whole lot tastier than eating one or two foods for an entire month and a whole lot healthier.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Rice, brown rice, is a complex carb.
    Chicken is a lean protein.

So you are suggesting eat only 1 complex carb and 1 lean protein for 1 month.

Seems restrictive for nothing. Why not make your diet only complex carbs (brown rice, whole wheat bread/pasta, veggetables) and lean protein (chicken, lean beef, turkey, tuna). Thats already a lot better since you would be eating vegetables and getting valuable nutrients.

To really balance that diet you might as well add some good simple carbs(fruits, milk) and some healthy fats (extra virgin olive oil, fatty fish)

With that diet, if you limit your total calories you will lose weight and be healthy.
  • izzys1mom
    izzys1mom Posts: 51
    Options
    I tried that diet years ago when I was a teen....I lost about 15lbs, but gained it right back when I stopped. And talk about BORING!! Seriously, don't think of this as a diet (those just don't work) Eating balanced foods packed with nutrients is so much more exciting and yummy than rice and chicken. Have fun with your menus and try to stay as close to nature as you can. I stopped drinking diet coke, started drinking water, and cut out processed foods and lost 9 lbs in less than 2 weeks....not to mention I feel GREAT!! Good luck to you :)
  • greenj76
    greenj76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Works for pro bodybuilders
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This thread is over 2 years old and the OP deactivated.
  • vincentrice1
    Options
    I'm on that diet right now. Though no veggies. All I eat is chicken and rice with a multivitamin in the morning. I run 2 miles every day and drink plenty of water. I feel great and could see a difference after one week. I lost 7 pounds the first week and once I hit my target weight, will change my diet to start building up muscle.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my dogs love it

Iams chicken and rice
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Not a great idea. You will be misisng out on a lot of vital nutrients that other foods will give you.
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When i was a kid this is what there was to eat ANYTIME i said i was hungry lol Mom always told us there was chicken in the oven or fridge, and rice in the rice cooker. I hated both until a few years ago! lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm on that diet right now. Though no veggies. All I eat is chicken and rice with a multivitamin in the morning. I run 2 miles every day and drink plenty of water. I feel great and could see a difference after one week. I lost 7 pounds the first week and once I hit my target weight, will change my diet to start building up muscle.

Please stop. You need fat. You need vegetables - you will not get enough nutrients from a multivitamin. What you're doing is not healthy, or sustainable and whilst "yippee you lost weight", it's likely to come right back on when you start eating normally.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Does it?