Question for married people.....

Options
2»

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Back in 2007 My exwife, and I(We were married at the time) decided to lose weight. She had a lot more weight to lose than I did. After she lost about 150lbs, she started getting curious about if guys would think she was "hot", and started flirting. She has been overweight her whole life, and since I told her she was beautiful at 350lbs she didn't believe me anymore. She became obsessed with flirting, started lying to me, and had a few online affairs. I never thought she would do something like that, but it happened. We tried marriage counseling, but I never could get her to really stop the flirting online, pretending to be single, etc. We eventually got divorced. That is one thing that started the marriage on the way to failure. There were many other reasons it failed though.

I heard there was an episode on Oprah a few years ago about that. People change, not always for the better in all things. He may have valid concerns.
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    Back in 2007 My exwife, and I(We were married at the time) decided to lose weight. She had a lot more weight to lose than I did. After she lost about 150lbs, she started getting curious about if guys would think she was "hot", and started flirting. She has been overweight her whole life, and since I told her she was beautiful at 350lbs she didn't believe me anymore. She became obsessed with flirting, started lying to me, and had a few online affairs. I never thought she would do something like that, but it happened. We tried marriage counseling, but I never could get her to really stop the flirting online, pretending to be single, etc. We eventually got divorced. That is one thing that started the marriage on the way to failure. There were many other reasons it failed though.

I heard there was an episode on Oprah a few years ago about that. People change, not always for the better in all things. He may have valid concerns.

I agree that people change. And I know someone who lost weight and left their spouse, and another person who lost weight and called off her engagement (both had weight loss surgery).... and I simply don't get it. I am glad I met my fiance when I was heavy because I know he loves me for who I am inside and out. Who says these people aren't going to find someone else who loves them for their size, and when they gain weight again (like many people do), they will be rejected?! Idk, I just don't understand their logic.
  • krwtvl02
    krwtvl02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've read almost everyone's post and they are hitting the nail on the head. It's probably going to be a little rough while your losing but tell your hubby that this is for your health so that you will be around for him for a long time and that you know that carrying excess weight is not good for your heart. You don't want to be like some people I see in hoverrounds because they can't walk or they have to carry around oxygen tanks because they can't breath. You don't want that. Hopefully he will see that and support you and love you for even making an effort to improve your health. And of course you want to look good in your clothes, but let that be the last thing. LOL :smile: Let me know how it goes.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't think my wife has become insecure. She's been supportive, complimentary and encouraging. She's been my biggest cheerleader. My weight loss, I believe, has inspired her to "get moving" herself. She's been hitting the gym 2-3 times per week.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I could see that. I've heard that a lot of people do change after losing the weight. I have never been thin....so I guess I don't truly know if it will change me (hopefully not for the worse!)....but I don't think it would.
  • PrincessIrish
    PrincessIrish Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I read this, I flashed back to when I first started losing weight. I was 118 pounds when I moved in with my ex-husband, and over 200 pounds when I decided to get my body and health back. At first, my ex-husband was supportive. When I got into size 18 pants (down from a size 22) the "joking" comments started... the more weight I lost, the worse it got, until I came right out and asked him if he really believed what he was saying when he "joked" with me, and told him that I found these so-called jokes insulting and hurtful. Since I've already stated that he's my EX husband, I'm sure you can tell it didn't go well. We tried counseling, as a couple and on our own, but his insecurities were so deeply rooted that he couldn't see that I was doing this for myself, as well as him and our children. At 200+ pounds, my health was suffering. All he could see was his fears.

The reason I say all this is because one of the lines in your post jumped out at me. You said you are afraid to talk to him about it because you are afraid to know what may be behind it. Unfortunately, you NEED to talk to him about it. He may not realize his jokes bother you (which they obviously do, or you wouldn't be soliciting advice on here), and if that's true he'll want to know so he doesn't keep upsetting you. And like many others said (or suggested) he may just need reassurance that you aren't going to leave when you get thin. These jokes may be his way of asking for your support on that end. But either way, you need to know what's behind it, because you can't fix any problem if you don't face it head on~ just like you are doing with your weight loss! And just so you don't get too worried based on my post, my ex-husband had issues with control, anger, and massive insecurities and it showed in all aspects of his life, not just my weight loss. If you husband is generally pretty secure, he's probably just worried about losing the love of his life! :)

(And I know I'm no longer married, and this post was for married people, but I'm now with my soul mate, does that count? lol!)
  • tagsIT2011
    Options
    wow.... does this topic bring back some bad memories..... First let me say.... don't let your spouse, fiance, family or friends derail your commitment to a healthier life..... Losing weight is tough enough. make sure you are losing for the right reasons. for yourself.... not for anybody or anything else. That being said..... I see something different from the snarky comments.

what i see is the other person's insecurity and lack of self confidence. I think the point you are missing because this is an emotional roller coaster on both sides is this. When we start to do something that is positive for ourselves, other people react in strange ways.
    What i think should be done is a straight simple conversation as to why or where is this comming from.
    Because as you or I shed the weight, we also shed the insecurities we carried along with it. So our self confidence builds up and we have a "personality" change. We are happier, we make better decisions, we are becoming empowered.
    This is where the snarky comments are coming from. OTHER PEOPLE CAN SEE THE CHANGES TOO. Talk about it, invite them in on your weightloss journey. You should be doing this together. Meet the "snark monster" head on. Or you will have to listen to these type of comments more and more as you lose weight.

Trust me, it will eventually erupt into a mountain or a volcanoe. Face it, Discuss it, Disarm it, and Defeat it. :grumble: :explode: :flowerforyou:
  • Mary830
    Mary830 Posts: 64
    Options
    Does your spouse ever seem uncomfortable with your weight loss? Like does it seem like you losing weight makes them insecure?

My husband is being supportive for the most part...he eats what I need to eat, avoiding junk in the house, goes out walking with me, but he does make snark comments like "I won't be able to let you leave the house because if you think your hott you'll walk around naked all the time"....or "So what younger guy are you going to leave me for when this is over".....

Oh boy, I am probably the wrong person to chime in on this. The short answer is YES- my husband became very insecure the first time I lost weight.

The long-ish version is that he was very supportive at first, but then he started complaining about time I spent at the gym, or about the foods I was cooking. My weight loss led to more self confidence and I began making friends. He complained if I ever wanted to do anything with them.

There is a much longer version, but I'll save that for a blog one day. End f the story is- I ended up gaining weight back.

We are both on this journey now. He seems to be more supportive, but I've started to hear a few comments again.
  • efalcon1
    efalcon1 Posts: 52
    Options
    I know how you are feeling too. I've had the same in my marriage and didn't address it soon enough. Try and speak to him about it before it has a really negative effect on your relationship. I didn't address the comments and now I feel I am being accused all of the time and not too happy at the moment. Hopefully if you address it now it won't be a problem later x
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    He probably thinks he's being funny. And he might mean no harm.

But it wouldn't do any harm to let him know if it's truly bothering you.

We men are interesting creatures. When we're around other guys, sometimes the only humor is self-deprecating. So some guys think this is normal, but most women don't appreciate this the same way.

If you do talk to him, make sure you let him know that you are aware that he's probably doing it to be funny and be supportive, but that you'd be more comfortable without the talk of leaving each other, etc. Even in jest, this can often not be healthy.
  • binsylad
    binsylad Posts: 99
    Options
    I am totally on this bus.....and ive only lost 19lbs.

It doesnt get any better lol

Mike
    England.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Okay. My husband did the same thing and I had a guy friend explain it to me. It's messed up yes, but it's his way of motivating you. Guys think in reverse psychology when it comes to things like this. They think if they say things like "I bet this wont last" meaning your change in food or exercise that you'll get the "F**K YOU!!I'LL PROVE YOU WRONG" attitude and push even harder. Since my friend explained that to me, I just let them slide right off my shoulder.

I'm sorry but I'm a guy and I don't agree with this at all. It is in no way of trying to "motivate" you and I don't know where this "reverse psychology" thing is coming from either. If you are secure with yourself you don't need to use "reverse psychology", you will just say what you mean.

Your husband is obviously insecure and instead of going right out and saying "this makes me a little uncomfortable" he's making little hints that he is scared in joke form. The best thing to do would be to reassure him that he is the ONLY guy for you and no matter what you are committed to him and only him.

He feels like he won't be good enough for you anymore if you look better but let him know you are doing it to have a long and healthy life that he can enjoy with you as well. I don't know how bad his insecurities are but if reassuring him doesn't work and he continues to get angrier, I would suggest counseling.

Good luck.
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was in pretty good shape when I met my husband, and slowly gained a LOT of weight over the years. Since I have started working out, I have noticed muscles in my legs again. I told my husband that I am going to have nice legs for him again. He responded saying that he liked my legs the way they are now, but I also know he will appreciate the more toned legs. I am getting into shape for me, but I like to point out to my husband parts that he will benefit from as well. :)
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could approach him during a good moment and ask him if he's being serious on any level. Let him know (if this IS how you feel) that you don't mind some joking, but you want to make sure he understands that you love *him*, you're faithful and losing weight isn't changing that.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    We are doing this TOGETHER so we are totally supportive of one another. He knows I want to be a hottie in a bikini...but he knows it's not to impress other guys, it's to make feel good about myself and impress HIM! My husband is very secure in our relationship. I am the insecure one...he is a very attractive man and sometimes I feel like I am the one that needs to look "better" to keep him interested. Though that isn't the case at all, it's just at times my self-esteem gets the best of me. He is doing this for health reasons, but he really wants to be buff in his new boat this summer too! We joke about being that couple you see at the end of some of the P90X workouts running along the beach! LOL! We are just having so much fun with this as a couple.

I wish you the best with your situation.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    He may just be being playful but you will never know unless you talk to him about it. Tell him that you find those comments hurtful even if he is joking and re-assure him that you are still the same person (just slimmer!)