Looking for other P90 Support

Options

Replies

• lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I tried starting P90 a few weeks ago but it was too much. I've been trying to build up the strength and endurance needed and give it another go in the very near future. You might be yelling at your computer at this point saying "Anyone can do P90!" but the truth is I have a degenerative autoimmune disorder which attacks core muscles and produces profound fatigue. I was barely able to get out of bed through most of December and January. I've been progressively adding more and more activity to my days (on the days I can tolerate it... the fatigue can stop me in my tracks with zero notice) and hope to retry P90 by the weekend.

Paul

BTW, if you would like to know what it is like to live with an autoimmune disorder such as Lupus, Scleroderma, Dermatomyositis, or other related disease, I strongly recommend reading "The Spoon Theory" http://bit.ly/hbTPOp
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with the downward dog, the upward dog stuff. But, my leg NEVER swings far enough forward to be in any kind of decent position for the runner's pose, warrior's pose, and pose-for-me can't remember the real name) pose. I am very discouraged because I thought that if I stuck with it, I would be better at it by now.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What could I be doing wrong? Why do I have to scoot myself backwards once I swing the leg forward? Aaack! Help!

I have to do the same thing, scoot backwards to position myself over the foot after the swing. For me I think it has to do with lack of core strength and flexibility, as well as my belly getting in the way. I am confident it will get better over time. It should for you too.
  • Angie3G
    Angie3G Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Day 3 done. Im in pain
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with the downward dog, the upward dog stuff. But, my leg NEVER swings far enough forward to be in any kind of decent position for the runner's pose, warrior's pose, and pose-for-me can't remember the real name) pose. I am very discouraged because I thought that if I stuck with it, I would be better at it by now.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What could I be doing wrong? Why do I have to scoot myself backwards once I swing the leg forward? Aaack! Help!

I have to do the same thing, scoot backwards to position myself over the foot after the swing. For me I think it has to do with lack of core strength and flexibility, as well as my belly getting in the way. I am confident it will get better over time. It should for you too.
    You guys are better than me. I don't even always try to swing my leg forward.
    Angie, welcome to P90. The soreness wears off after the first week.
    Lesspaul, good for you for still trying to do as much as you can. No one here is going to judge you for how much or how little you can do. You know your limit and it's great that you have a goal to reach towards. I look forward to when you fully join us on this P90 journey.
  • Impala007
    Impala007 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm with the rest of you....that swing the leg thru on the yoga routine just isn't happening ...it's usually a 2 or 3 step process and hope I don't fall over somewhere along the way.

Well tonight I decided to do both routines since I missed last night. I was pressed for time as I needed to keep an eye on the kids while the wife went to the Dr. I departed from my usual routine of starting with a 30 min or so warmup on the t-mill and went right to Sweat 1-2. I just wasn't able to get the HR up and ended up about 100 cals less than normal. I went back later and did the Sculpt and same thing about 100 cals less. Guess I'll just have to get sweaty first from now on....
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Day 19 sculpt done!

Feeling a little woozy because I took less breaks than I have been (no breaks until circuit 3 -- and only 2 short pauses there) and kept my heart rate up longer. Sipping my apple juice/pea protein recovery drink, hoping the sugar will calm the wooziness. :smile:
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

"I'm with the rest of you....that swing the leg thru on the yoga routine just isn't happening ...it's usually a 2 or 3 step process and hope I don't fall over somewhere along the way. "

Okay, now I feel a bit better. I really do not enjoy that part of it. Tonight I just scooted myself and felt okay about it. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Heh - glad I'm not the only one. After two months of exercising, I'm in way better shape than I was before, and endurance really isn't a problem when doing the cardio. Swinging my leg forward to the running pose in that Yoga phase just confounds me as well, however! I'm just not as flexible as Tony is, by golly!

Nearing the end of the third week of P90, and I definitely see some improvement. I can actually do 10 push-ups now, I can complete the Ab Ripper without stopping, and I think that maybe...just maybe, I'm seeing some muscles there that have been hiding in my arms. Crazy, but true! I'm not looking to get ripped, or strut down the street flexing my 6-pack, but after reading enough on MFP over a month or so when I first started, I realized I needed to do a little something for my muscles, and not just endless cardio. P90 has really hit the spot for me.

Hey - and this group here ain't bad either.

LessPaul - my gf has Lupus, and though it usually isn't a daily problem, she does have to deal with joint issues sometimes. She doesn't suffer the symptoms regularly though.

poorwayne - good to hear you have your blood sugar levels under control. That is a great start!
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am so sad. I have missed 2 days of P90 & will probably miss today too. I feel like I have the flu. I've never been sad about missing exercise before. lol I love P90. I was going to start phase 3-4 today. My day off is Sunday. I guess I am going to repeat this week but that is going to put me a week behind my husband :( He said he feels like he is getting sick too though so maybe not.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better, CCJ.

Good workout today. If only this whole work thing wouldn't get in the way, I'd probably have fun today.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    One good thing about this exercise/ diet stuff guys is it's doing wonders for my blood sugar. I was diagnosed as a Type II diabetic a few years back and although I'm on oral meds, my blood sugar levels were running so high my doctor had talked about putting me on insulin. The great news is now they are back under control.

that is great news!
  • Stephanie08
    Options

"I'm with the rest of you....that swing the leg thru on the yoga routine just isn't happening ...it's usually a 2 or 3 step process and hope I don't fall over somewhere along the way. "

Okay, now I feel a bit better. I really do not enjoy that part of it. Tonight I just scooted myself and felt okay about it. Thanks for the encouragement.

We're supposed to swing our leg? Huh. What's it called when you just use your hands to place your ankle in one place, and then look up at the screen miffed because they're already onto move #4 and there is no way you'll catch up now?
  • MikeK51
    MikeK51 Posts: 317
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing great. CCJ please get better real soon! I keep hearing about everyone getting sick so I keep crossing my fingers and washing my hands.

I saw a video on BB site that gives some assistance on bringing the leg through. I've tried it but still haven't been too successful. They recommend getting up on your finger-tips before you try to swing it through. My legs are too frickin long...the clearance just ain't there. So I don't sweat it.

Tonight will be day 60 for me. I started this week increasing weights, and pushing a little longer. I've always had to take a short break during the 5 sets of lunge/squats in Sculpt 3-4, but actually kept up with the video last night without any break. I also for the first time pushed myself to do push-ups from my toes. I did the first 2 push-up workouts from toes and got 10 each in. I then did the 7-7-7 and got up to 25 on the final set from my knees (up from 20-22). I read the last chapter in BFFM (Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle) yesterday. It talked to weight training. I've been doing all the weights for the 15 reps. It said you should always be trying to increase, even if its just 1 more rep or a few pounds. So my goal is to increase weights enough to have to stop at 12 reps at most (with good form). I'm more sore than usual this morning, which I'm happy to see.

My wife noticed some tone in my arms the other night which made me feel great. I've been finally noticing it myself too, ever so slightly. I have long arms, and they say it takes longer to notice because the muscles are longer (sounds good to me).

Hopefully my pics and measurements will show a difference. I know my pants are getting crazy big on me.

Thanks for everyone's support and encouragement. Without MFP and you guys, I don't think I'd be where I'm at today.
    Love you all!
  • MikeK51
    Options
    We're supposed to swing our leg? Huh. What's it called when you just use your hands to place your ankle in one place, and then look up at the screen miffed because they're already onto move #4 and there is no way you'll catch up now?

LMAO!!!!!!!
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    "Whooaahh Look at Pauley...He's like a STATUE"!!!!!!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    "Whooaahh Look at Pauley...He's like a STATUE"!!!!!!

LOL... those young whippersnappers....
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is my first post here. Today is day 89 for me tomorrow is 90 YES!!!. I had a goal to lose 50 pounds in 90 days, I am a big dude. As of day 83 I had lost 46 pounds so I will weigh in tomorrow and see what the results are. This site has been great for counting my calories and helping even when I go out to eat. I cannot say I had a perfect diet but I eliminated sodas, potato chips, and ice cream and that really helped. I started with Power 90 because I knew for me to stick with something I would need to feel sucessful. The workouts are almost easy now and I am looking forward to starting the Power 90 Masters series next on Monday. I did not want to do P90X because some of them are too long for my schedule especially 90 minutes of yoga and I hate yoga but I can tolerate a few minutes of it. The other reason is I did not need to buy any more equipment. I have my few dumbells and my yoga may and I am good. I keep telling people if I could do this workout anyone could, I have a ways to go to be at he weight I want but progress feels good.
  • MikeK51
    Options
    Dee...better late than never to join us. What a success you've had in only 90 days. Congratulations!!!

It's great to see that you plan to start P90 Masters next. That is the goal for many of us.
    Please stop back and let us know what it is like and how you are doing.
  • Stephanie08
    Options
    Dee - do you have any before/after pics?
  • dee74
    dee74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If I could figure out how to add pics to a post I would put them up here. I cannot figure it out