annoying weight related nicknames.

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
my whole life even when I was super skinny ive been called big man and until I put on weight it never bothered me then the names got worse. Big'un thick'un etc are names ive heard in reference of me.. What have you all heard big or small?

Replies

• togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    When I was born I was almost 12lbs and so my cousin called me butterball .... I have been listening to the nickname butterball for 28 years now ... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My name is Sam.. . Sometimes I have been referred to as Fat Sam (Its a bugsy Malone reference) , not usually to my face mind you.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Big Red cuz of the red hair and obviously being big lol. and ONCE somebody called me Shamu. he won't be calling anyone else any names anytime soon. i made him cry. and i'm not talking about when we were little. we were both in our 20's lol :)
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    lardass:mad:
  • kellibean13
    kellibean13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My husband's friends call him Tubby. He says it doesn't bother him, but it really bothers me. It's just not nice!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    im really short (under 5 feet) and even before i had kids and was small, i have always been called "oompa loompa" i HATE it. im very pale with dark hair...its not like i fake tan and im orange with green hair. its annoying...people are so rude!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My name is Sam. In my parent's circle of friends (all big nerds) it was popular to call me Samwise... Yeah. The fat hobbit. Not that any hobbit was particularly healthy, but Tolkien makes a special note of Samwise's tubbyness. It has always bothered me.

Then there were the basics in school, tubby, fatty, other basic things like that. I'd be less bitter about it if they had at least TRIED to be creative.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    there was some cartoon or commercial that used to play when i was in middle school that went something like "get in shape girl, you got the feeling" -- well, i had a curly perm at the time and one kid would sing "get in shape poodle" to me all the time! kinda funny now, but not then. :)

probably the most hurtful is when one of my parents called me a fat *kitten*.
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was called buffalo all through school, and when Dances With Wolves came out it was tatanka... people are so cruel sometimes.
  • bammashell
    bammashell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand how you feel. I have been refered to as many fat names thru out my life the one that stuck mostly was wide glide (reference to a harley davidson motorcycle) nice huh.......i have also been known as pork chop, super wide, heavy and thick and sturdy........yea i know and each one of these names people gave me and thought it was cute........i not so much......
  • chubby1978
    Options
    Tubby....I hated that!! Haven't heard it in years and it still pisses me off!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm Susan. My dad used to call me to supper like you call pigs: SUUUU-EEEEEE!

To this day, I will not respond if someone calls me Sue.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    One time I had a co-worker tell me I needed to put a "wide load" sign on my butt...
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My ex's name for me was Tubby, rarley called me by name just Tubby, like "hey Tubby what's for dinner" GRRRRRRRR nothing ever bother me more.
    OK well maybe my high school nickname did, my friend used to introduce me as her friend"Shawna Big Boobs" yep Shawna Big boobs, nice eh? I had a reduction(forman H to a DD ) and it still bother me to think about it.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    One time I had a co-worker tell me I needed to put a "wide load" sign on my butt...

Ah, man. People are so cruel!!!
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My son can relate! He says he wishes he had a nickel for every time someone has said, "Hey, Big Guy", to him. Most people don't mean anything mean by it, I'm sure.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm Susan. My dad used to call me to supper like you call pigs: SUUUU-EEEEEE!

To this day, I will not respond if someone calls me Sue.
    That is awful. It's one thing for kids to call names but parents doing it is so wrong.
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    lardass:mad:

I had this one also. :mad:
  • littlelionesslove
    Options
    My mom (who is absolutely beautiful, tall, and thin) used to say I was, "muscular", "curvy", or "solid" because I used to do martial arts and had a lot more "meat on my bones". I disliked that because I was the only one in the family who seemed to have a slower metabolism. I've been told, "Oh you know so and so...well she's built like you, really solid..." and I'd see the other person and it always seemed like they were just big. So I started to lose weight. Like a lot of weight. It still bothers me today when I hear the phrase, "...built like you". So really, not an actual nickname but just words used. They can be really hurtful!
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and have been since the 5th grade, so I was taller than a lot of people until high school. Couple that with being a "big girl" and bad things happen. One day I wore a green shirt to school, and someone apparently thought I resembled the Jolly Green Giant. That stuck with me until I graduated. I still hate the commercials.