C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 1

Options

Replies

• stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone!! We're all doing great :drinker:

I finished W3D3 yesterday. I really struggled with D1&2 for this week (it's a mix of longer and shorter intervals, and the last longer interval is really rough for me) - but a woman on this site told me that it is almost all mental and told me to just push through the last 60 seconds of it and remember that I can rest after. I re-read that post right before I went out for D3 and thought about it throughout the longer intervals. I wanted to kill her while I was doing it, BUT I finished it, and even pushed a *tiny* bit farther after the guy told me it was over. It felt GREAT!

Next week is just so hectic for me, and I'll be losing one, maybe two of my normal c25k days - so on the days that I can do this program, I'm going to do W3, which I think will better prepare me for W4 - because let's face it, W4 is a BEAST and I barely made it through W3.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in the middle of February!!
    I'm in the middle of W3 right now. Mind if I join in with you guys?? It'd be nice to have some support in this program - and I'd love to help motivate you all as well :happy:

My first day of W3 was horrible - but I think it's because I went too soon after I ate breakfast. When I started jogging, I could feel my oatmeal sloshing around in my stomach - such a horrible feeling!!

Just did D2 of W3 today, and it went better, but it's a real push for me, and I think that I'm going to end up doing more than 3 days of it so that I can be better prepared for W4.

Good luck to everyone who just started out!!

~ Meredith

I start Week 3 tomorrow!!!!! Week 2 was easier than week 1. Just hoping I can get through week 3!!!

LouiseXXXXX
  • mrslong0508
    mrslong0508 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am starting my C25K today. Mind if I join in a bit late? I am super nervous as this will be my first time doing any actual running since I have lost about 90 lbs with another 110 to go!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone!! We're all doing great :drinker:

I finished W3D3 yesterday. I really struggled with D1&2 for this week (it's a mix of longer and shorter intervals, and the last longer interval is really rough for me) - but a woman on this site told me that it is almost all mental and told me to just push through the last 60 seconds of it and remember that I can rest after. I re-read that post right before I went out for D3 and thought about it throughout the longer intervals. I wanted to kill her while I was doing it, BUT I finished it, and even pushed a *tiny* bit farther after the guy told me it was over. It felt GREAT!

Next week is just so hectic for me, and I'll be losing one, maybe two of my normal c25k days - so on the days that I can do this program, I'm going to do W3, which I think will better prepare me for W4 - because let's face it, W4 is a BEAST and I barely made it through W3.

Thanks for this. :flowerforyou: I'm starting to understand that it is a lot of mental. I guess you just don't know what you are capable of until you push yourself. Good job!! I'm going to have a challenging beginning of the week, too. May try to squeeze in W2D2 tomorrow night.
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Hi I'd love to join if that's ok. I started week 1- day 1 yesterday, had a rest today as I ache. Did a few stretches during the day. I plan to do week 1- day 2 tomorrow. Needing support and encouragement. I also downloaded an app for my phone which tells when to run and when to walk. So hope I can do this.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    May I jump in a little late as well? I'm finishing up the 30 Day Shred, and I want to start running the C25K tomorrow (weather pending right now) or Monday for sure!
  • christmasbow
    Options
    I'd love to join in. I just did week 1, day 1 yesterday. I plan to do week 1, day 2 tomorrow. Previously did the C25K two years ago and ran for the first time in my life. Last year after surgery, quit running and put on weight. I hope I can get back to this.
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Well, peeps. You'll be glad to know I completed week 3, day 1 without falling over/puking/giving up!!!! I'm amazed that it wasn't too hard. The first time I tried this programme I repeated week 1 four times, then gave up!

Personally, I don't think you can start this from being a couch potato. You do need some fitness, even if it's several weeks of brisk walking! That's the mistake I made last time.
    My level of fitness is by no means the best, but it's a lot better than it was!

As a student, I HATED exercise with a vengence, especially P.E. When we were forced to do 'cross-country running', my friend and I would jog slowly round the school field, find a bush or tree to hide behind, get the latest teen magazine out from our t-shirts and sit there waiting for everybody else to complete the outward run. When they came back, we'd tag on to the tail-enders. Dreadful, but I hated it.

Now I'm excited to be able to run 2 intervals of 3mins!!!!!!!

LouiseXXX
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    Going to attempt day 3 of week one later ... visiting friends though so depends on what we do and when i get back! xx
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: My W1D2 was actually really good.

But today it is pouring outside so W1D3 will have to wait until tomorrow. :sick:
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I downloaded a C25K app for my phone. Hoping for nice weather tomorrow morning, so I can do W2D1 on an outdoor track. I can't wait to see how it will differ from the treadmill, where I did Week 1. So far, it hasn't been too bad, but I've heard how much easier the treadmill is than running outside. The outdoor track is flat, so I'm hoping it will be an easy transition.

The big difference btw the treadmill and the outdoors is the 'push-off'. When you're on the treadmill, the ground is moving beneath you and you don't have to push off as vigorously to take the next step. Expect sore calfs when switching to outdoors. :wink:

The treadmill really can be a godsend for new runners though, as it absorbs so much shock. Alternating between treadmill and outside days can be really helpful in avoiding injury if you have access to both. Treadmills can also be a great help for those of us who try to start out too fast, as it can enforce a pace.

You'll get great cardiovascular and calorie impact either way. But there are some slight differences in mechanics on the treadmill compared with running outdoors. You can mitigate many of them by putting the treadmill on a 1-1.5% incline though.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

But today it is pouring outside so W1D3 will have to wait until tomorrow. :sick:
    It snowed here last night. Yesterday it was all melting... :cry: But I'm starting tomorrow no matter WHAT!! :angry:
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Well today was Week 1,day 2 , I found it a little easier then day1. Looking forward to Week 1 day 3. I'm feeling pretty chuffed with myself. Not been running for a few years. The last time I did running I went about it completely wrong. I went straight into running and not Walk/jogging. So glad I started this programme, I just know I'm going to do this :-)
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    W2D1 ... I finished it. I started strong, but then I had to slow down quite a bit. I also started to run out of steam towards the second to last interval, but I always seem to get a little stronger when I hear the voice from my ipod say "okay this is your last 90 run". Kinda looking forward to W2D2 to see if I can keep a steady pace. Have a great week every one!
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    annj1019.... are you doing the warrior dash??? I am doing the one in amesbury MA on June 25th...starting a 10k training program and lots of upper body strength training..... what r u doing to prepare ??
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    For those of you ahead of us in the C25K...congrats...for those of us starting week 2 tomorrow, I will post a new topic first thing int he morning, I will post the link on this post though...have a great week!!!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'll look into this. I want to train for a 5K in May and this is the perfect workout! Thanks for sharing.
  • Atlantique
    Options

It snowed here last night. Yesterday it was all melting... :cry: But I'm starting tomorrow no matter WHAT!! :angry:

For those still having to run in snow and ice, I highly recommend a pair of YakTrax. They're like snowtires fro your running shoes! Run about $20 to pick up.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    W2D1 ... I finished it. I started strong, but then I had to slow down quite a bit. I also started to run out of steam towards the second to last interval, but I always seem to get a little stronger when I hear the voice from my ipod say "okay this is your last 90 run". Kinda looking forward to W2D2 to see if I can keep a steady pace. Have a great week every one!

Well done!