Drinking Alcohol

Options

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of everything in moderation. Also disagree that alcohol is "toxin" I could make that argument for my daily caffine habit, but think adults can make informed choices. I was stalled in my weight loss in January, so decided to give up alcohol on a temporary basis - I'm planning to have some green beer come St. Patricks Day (March 17) :-)
    I never plan to give up alchohol completely, but will make it much more moderate - kind of like chocolate :-(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have "dieted" before during which times I did not allow certain food or drink to cross my lips. However, when I finished the "diets" I hadn't learned jack about eating in real world situations. This time around nothing is off the table. I can have anything I want. I still drink vodka & tonic and I still eat chips. I am also cooking more of my own food and finding that healthy options aren't always yucky. I'm losing weight just a little quicker than I put it on and I'm good with that.

Exactly. I still enjoy my booze now and then, and my DiGiorno pizzas, and it's not hampered me one bit. I couldn't and wouldn't do this if I felt deprived.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I understand we are a fit focused group, I myself am real diligent on my dietary habits, and doing VERY well I’m proud to say, but does anyone drink alcohol?? I don’t mean habitually, but does anyone indulge (in moderation of course) when out with friends?? If you do, how do stay within the parameters of your fitness and dietary goals, if you DON’T drink and you are out with friends (at a business that sells alcohol) what do you drink then? I like red wine for the purpose of cardiovascular health, and I’ve had whiskey (10oz.) within the last 13 days of my program. Any thoughts??

Yes, I'll have a drink here and there. And I mean 1, 2 at most.

If I don't feel like drinking and I'm somewhere that serves alcohol, I get a diet soda or a water. It's not a big deal to me or anyone with me.

That said, I have seen a lot of folks here who have issues with drinking. Binge drinkers, functional alcoholics, etc. And some folks who just decided their lives were better with no alcohol and are sticking to that--not a 'diet' thing, but a health thing.

You should be able to drink what you want, when you want. If you are finding issues with staying within your own set limits, then you may have an alcohol problem.

And by the way, the idea of drinking red wine for cardiovascular health is usually an excuse of the borderline alcoholic or borderline binging person to indulge. ;) A half hour walk would do a lot more for your health than a glass of wine, regardless of the color.
  • banksave
    banksave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    if you mixed UV vodka with shakeology is it still considered healthy... :smile: Never mind... thats just wrong.... seriously drinking alcohol which is primarily and acid based product promotes the storing of toxicants within your fat cells. The more you drink, the more your body will react to protect your body from the toxic acid that alcohol produces, and it does this by storing toxicants within your fat cells. Conclusion; you drink alcohol and your body reacts by saving toxicant filled fat cells in your body.... and unfortunately... if you all remember... we are all trying to lose weight and/or stay fit(not store fat cells filled with poison). Oh yea... then a few days per week we work out like crazy, which by the way burns off some of those fat cells containing poison and releases some toxicants back into your body in the process.

I know all this and yet... I would love to have 1 large cold beer..... :ohwell:

Can you please tell me where you received this information on toxic fat cells?

when I have a little time later... will go into this a little further... with references of course... the theory is based on ph food groups vs acid based food groups... similiar to the for why you may hear about people cleansing their bodies say over a ten day period. There is a study out there that was done by Dr. Young and I think the Gerston Institute touches on this subject as well.

by the way... I love beer and I drink imo too much... so that makes me an expert lol

I will update this later... got to run (off to the bar):
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I've had hardly any alcohol since Christmas - 1 small bottle of beer, 1 glass of wine, and half a bottle of seriously expensive wine last night for hitting 2 stone lost. Mind you, I did also burn 4000 calories today by cycling 73 miles in 5hrs 30mins!

By not having things you like make the diet harder - it's all about moderation...and offering to drive so others can drinks scores you lots of points!!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I just log it and try to keep my drinking to 2x per week. :D

Probably slowing my progress... but damn it, I'm a single woman in a college town, and I freakin' love booze!
    AsaThorsWoman..................Will you merry me!?!?!

Yes!
  • KirstenDanella1
    Options
    I love red wine and fully believe it is 110% benificial to your health. The health-giving phenols of red wine include catechin, epicathechin, and gallic acid. All these, plus resveratrol, are effective antioxidants that prevent cell damage while promoting cell regeneration- aka CANCER. Sipping a glass of red wine can also protect you from a host of other bacteria that might give you digestive woes. Of course it's benificial to your heart and cholesterol. Some things are just worth the calories:)
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word "Toxin(s)"

I need someone to seriously explain these theories better. Use the scientific names of the actual things that are supposedly so bad, so that I may do some research of my own.

Not that I am saying booze isn't bad for you, but I need someone to actually spell it out, rather than say "toxin", "detox", or any other nonsense of the sort.

Just because you dislike the word 'toxin' does not change the effect to the body.Use Google and search for alcohol and impact to dietary health. You will find that alcohol dehydrates they body and makes the body crave carbs as well. It will also impair your judgment making you more likely to make poor food choices(considering the food choices in a bar of course). You want physical impacts of the 'toxins', look up how the liver is damaged by alcohol. Trying to lean on specific scientific facts as a crutch, does not change the impact these things do to your body that you can FEEL.

I've been at both ends of the drinking spectrum and I would much rather stick to ice tea when I go out these days. If my friends/family think I am crazy to get up the next morning to work out so be it. My response would be I am not the crazy one when you cannot keep up with ME. :laugh:

my point... you've missed it.
  • diaazul
    diaazul Posts: 1
    Options

I need someone to seriously explain these theories better. Use the scientific names of the actual things that are supposedly so bad, so that I may do some research of my own.

Not that I am saying booze isn't bad for you, but I need someone to actually spell it out, rather than say "toxin", "detox", or any other nonsense of the sort.

I've been trying to get a clearer picture on the impact of alcohol on the diet as well - mainly because I like to enjoy the odd drink every so often.

From what I can ascertain so far, and guidance from anyone with other information would be useful, is that there are two main effects which impact on the diet:

1/ Following consumption of alcohol some studies have shown that the body only uses carbohydrates for energy and doesn't break down any fat. If carbohydrates are depleted then we need to take on more as the fat stores cannot be used. Net impact is that any fats we take on are stored as fat, fat that would have been broken down isn't and we need to take on more carbohydrates to make up any short term energy shortfall (more energy input).

2/ The second impact is that alcohol impairs the absorption of B-vitamins (B2, B3, B12). As these vitamins are necessary for the breakdown of fat, and the chances are that anyone on a diet is possibly not taking enough of these vitamins on board anyway, then our ability to metabolise fat into energy is reduced.

I am guessing that the two points are linked and that there is an impact of alcohol on B vitamin levels in the body which has an impact on fat metabolism. My suggestion, is that after drinking alcohol you pay attention to the need to replace B vitamins - the best source of which is offal (liver, kidney and heart). The other good source would be pork scratchings - which used to be common in pubs, but I haven't seen for a while.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    :drinker: I drink, but pretty much only on the weekends (or if my husband grills bratwurst, which, of course, requires that I drink a beer with it). I mostly stick to wine or vodka sodas, which keeps each drink to ~75-100 calories. Since I'm small, 2 or 3 drinks is plenty for me! I do like to splurge on a good beer every now and then, and I have a splash of Irish cream in my coffee on the weekends. I do always count my booze towards my calories, I try never to drink on an empty stomach, and I try to drink enough water that I won't feel awful the next day. :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I can say that I lost a lot of weight all the while getting pretty smashed most weekends a few years back. Yeah I know, it's not good for you etc. but I just made sure I got a good workout in that day and drink heaps of water the next day also. I now only drink once a month so I choose my day wisely :P All logged in MFP also.
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    As with everything else, I'm trying to get a feel for about how many calories everything is. I figured out that our Merlot wine is about 20cals/ounce, so I was able to fit in 7 ounces of wine last night. It's tedious at first, but I used a Pyrex measuring cup to measure 7 ounces of water and found out how far up the wine glass this is. It let me know when we break out these glasses next time that they're 8-ounce glasses.

Just one example, but I'm starting to figure out about how many calories all these things are that tend to be mindless (snack crackers, etc.).

But no question that the calories should be counted.
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I've been trying to get a clearer picture on the impact of alcohol on the diet as well - mainly because I like to enjoy the odd drink every so often.

From what I can ascertain so far, and guidance from anyone with other information would be useful, is that there are two main effects which impact on the diet:

1/ Following consumption of alcohol some studies have shown that the body only uses carbohydrates for energy and doesn't break down any fat. If carbohydrates are depleted then we need to take on more as the fat stores cannot be used. Net impact is that any fats we take on are stored as fat, fat that would have been broken down isn't and we need to take on more carbohydrates to make up any short term energy shortfall (more energy input).

2/ The second impact is that alcohol impairs the absorption of B-vitamins (B2, B3, B12). As these vitamins are necessary for the breakdown of fat, and the chances are that anyone on a diet is possibly not taking enough of these vitamins on board anyway, then our ability to metabolise fat into energy is reduced.

I am guessing that the two points are linked and that there is an impact of alcohol on B vitamin levels in the body which has an impact on fat metabolism. My suggestion, is that after drinking alcohol you pay attention to the need to replace B vitamins - the best source of which is offal (liver, kidney and heart). The other good source would be pork scratchings - which used to be common in pubs, but I haven't seen for a while.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. I tip my hat to you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Another great source of Vitamin B is vegemit (which I am sure all the Americans really love :P) I will eat about 4-5 tspns and drink a heap of water before going to bed. Always wake up feeling better that way.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like sangria so if I pre-plan it as a treat I'll have a glass or two and log it in. If I'm going for a all night party (or a wedding etc) with my best cousins and friends I don't log anything and I drink till I'm "done". I usually try to choose light stuff though like mikes hard light lemonade or alive coolers, if I can't bring my own booze (at a bar, etc) I will choose rum and diet coke or long island iced tea with light soda, or something like that (no caesars, margaritas, etc those are all just sugar and or sodium and loaded with calories)

I figure I am doing this for the rest of my life and drinking for special outings and occasions are a part of my life, and since I need to balance this whole new lifestyle out, I need to indulge sometimes and plan other times.

** I quite often will do a really good workout too the morning of when I'm gonna have one of those nights (like a 1000 calorie burn type workout) so I feel like I am somewhat counteracting the evening somehow. My outings almost always end up being on saturday and on sundays I don't workout so I never usually have to worry about missing a workout because I don't feel well or something like that.
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    I gave up drinking because I could not lose weight. And I wanted to lose weight more than drink. I also ordered pizza under the influence and eat way more. I had to give it up. I am glad. I don't know about toxins stored in my fat cells but I believe I am making the healthy choice. I feel clearer. I only drank twice a week too but I am losing now that it is gone.
  • kscheuer1
    Options
    I drink alcohol once a week, and yes it's a binge when I do! I typically drink 2 glasses of wine before I go out and then switch over to vodka sodas. I probably consume between 5-7 drinks everytime. I always work out that day and the next day (depending on severity of the hangover) and I try to not eat as much as usual, I cut out the snacks and desert portions that day. If I do these things and drink my excessive amount of alcohol, I rarely go over my calories. With the alcohol my overall calories for the day come to about 1500 and I still have leftovers from my workouts.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    if you mixed UV vodka with shakeology is it still considered healthy... :smile: Never mind... thats just wrong.... seriously drinking alcohol which is primarily and acid based product promotes the storing of toxicants within your fat cells. The more you drink, the more your body will react to protect your body from the toxic acid that alcohol produces, and it does this by storing toxicants within your fat cells. Conclusion; you drink alcohol and your body reacts by saving toxicant filled fat cells in your body.... and unfortunately... if you all remember... we are all trying to lose weight and/or stay fit(not store fat cells filled with poison). Oh yea... then a few days per week we work out like crazy, which by the way burns off some of those fat cells containing poison and releases some toxicants back into your body in the process.

I know all this and yet... I would love to have 1 large cold beer..... :ohwell:

Just to add to your great info--The liver, whose main duty is to regulate glucose in your blood, puts all of its other work aside in ofder to process the alcohol. That leaves all your carbs to be set aside for later aka FAT.
  • ShannonStocker
    Options
    Hi - instead of thinking "toxins", think in terms of "balance". Yes, you can still lose weight by replacing dessert with a couple of drinks. But remember that the whole point of dieting is to get in better health, which means that your calories need to be a good balance of proteins, carbs, FATS, sugars... NOT just calories. If you find yourself in the negative all the time with regard to proteins, for example, you may eventually lose weight but you're not improving your overall health in the best way that you can. Everything in moderation. Personally, I have a glass of wine probably 4-5 nights a week. I have 2 little kids and that is my quiet, "unwind" time that I award myself. But I make sure I snack on nuts instead of fruit, eat brown, wild or black rice instead of pasta, eat grass-fed buffalo instead of cow, etc. I also take fish oil and probiotics and vitamins and calcium tablets and biosylimarin (milk thistle), the last of which acts as to cleanse my body (liver) of said "toxins" that I enjoy. Dieting is not about being miserable. Just being smart!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking because I could not lose weight. And I wanted to lose weight more than drink. I also ordered pizza under the influence and eat way more. I had to give it up. I am glad. I don't know about toxins stored in my fat cells but I believe I am making the healthy choice. I feel clearer. I only drank twice a week too but I am losing now that it is gone.

This marks the first time I've heard of PUI (pizza under the influence).

Good for you for making clear decisions, though.