is it stupid to...if youre overweight?

Options
is it stupid to go to school to be a personal trainer if you are over weight or obese? im not sure what all you would do while in class...would you tone up, and stuff? im worried that id be wasting money because people wouldnt want to hire the "fat girl" once i completed the course

Replies

• shyaamist
    shyaamist Posts: 34
    Options
    Maybe its a matter of personal opinion! But I would think that you would get more toned and lose weight as you progressed in the class! You'd have to be really committed but I would think that if you were, and you worked out well, by the time your done, you'd look good!!!

I think its all a matter of what you want to do! If you can find a job that you look forward to going to every morning, I think you've found happiness!!!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think with hard work you would definately tone!

But I think that people can be harsh, and there would be judgements made. If you dont mind then go for it!!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I imagine as you learned and worked out throughout the program, you would slim down. I, personally, wouldn't be all that worried if my personal trainer wasn't perfect, body wise, but I would notice if they weren't healthy . . .
  • Melisha82
    Melisha82 Posts: 243
    Options
    I don't think it's stupid at all! You'd be going to school and learning new things for yourself, too :) I say go for it! I'm going to do it this fall (i'm finishing up my mt courses now so i need a school break) lol.... but i'm doing it mainly to help myself and my family!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You should probably get in shape while taking the classes......I don't think anyone would hire an overweight personal trainer.

But I think they would be twice as likely to hire a personal trainer who has been there and done it themselves.....

Take the classes and go for it!! What a great goal to work toward!

Good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that totally changed his physique just while taking the classes to get certified so by the time you get certified you could be totally different but even then I would not say it's not stupid if anything it could make some people alot more comfortable knowing you've been exactly where they are. Good Luck with whatever you do!!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think going to school is great! But personally, I would wait until I was closer to goal. That way you do have real life experience and while going to school, you can really tone and perfect your body. Personally, I wouldn't have an overweight person as a trainer and I think that would be the general consensus. Not to be anti-overweight, but it is not the right field. I believe the same is true for doctors or other medical professionals. You can't take advice from them on being healthy, if they are not healthy themselves.

Best of luck! You are young, you have time to get into shape, get in school, and have a long and rewarding career in personal training! :) Keep us posted!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    it really depends on who you'd be training. if its someone who's already in great shape and wants to get into even better shape, they probably wouldn't hire you. however, if its someone who is overweight and wants to get into shape, i bet they'd hire someone who has been in their position and knows what works and what doesn't.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    .I don't think anyone would hire an overweight personal trainer.

But I think they would be twice as likely to hire a personal trainer who has been there and done it themselves.....

I agree about the 2nd half of that, but not the first.

I think an overweight personal trainer is more 'accessible'. Obviously I'm not going to take advice from some 700lb dude about eating/exercising, but someone who has a few extra pounds and can relate to the struggle that we are all facing on here. Thus being said, I wouldn't take advice from someone who weighs more then I do, unless they were ALL muscle.

Now I can see how it wouldn't go over in a snooty/high-end gym/spa type setting, but at 'Planet Fitness' where I go, its a very friendly and "judgement free" atmosphere...
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Please do not take offense at this. I would not hire a fat person to be my personal trainer. I would expect to have someone that looks like they practice what they preach. Sorry. Just my opinion. Others may feel differently.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Learning and mastering something new is never stupid so dont ever think that. However you have to remember that there are certain requirements that come with different jobs. Part of the allure and success of the personal trainer is their physical appearance.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends what type of gym or workout facility you plan to work in. Some facilities are really image conscience, I think it would be harder to be overweight and work in a facility like that. It also depends on your clientele, if you're training someone who's goal is to lose a lot of weight, you could be a good support. On the other hand, if you're training someone who's already in shape and just wants to take their fitness to the next level, then I they might not completely respect what you tell them. But overall, I think that if you love what you do and are really enthusiastic and supportive of people, that goes a long way! IDK - just my thoughts. Either way, I wish you the best with your weight loss and career goals.
  • Tanzyness
    Tanzyness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a great way for you to be motivated to lose the weight. Personally, I would rather have a trainer that has "been there and done that" over someone that has never had a weight problem. If you can lose the weight and get in shape you could be a great inspiration to a lot of people trying to get their lives back on track. Who wouldn't love to have an inspirational trainer? Goodluck, I hope it all works out for you!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would hire a man. A HOT MAN haha simply so that I had somethiing to look forward to because personal trainers are HARD on you! which is good.

I say go for it! I took a yoga class from someone who was not a size 2 muscle builder skinny chick, and she showed me how much more "healthy" and "fit" she was than me.

Just because you don't look like a size two doesn't mean that you aren't knowledgeable, and can show someone how to get in a good and healthy work out.

Just make sure you can back up what you preach. thats really the basis of it. You don't have to be your ideal weight to be an expert. And I do think that the fact that you have struggled is a great benefit for you...

Jillian michaels struggled with her weight and look how successful she is!

But aparently there are those who would not hire someone who didn't LOOK fit so be aware of judgements, there will always be judgements. If you are strong and can take it then go for it!
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    Options
    I think it's a fantastic idea! Look at it from this approach: People who are drug and alcohol counselors are usually addicts themselves initially, go through a huge life changing process, and commit themselves to helping other people. They know what it's like to have been in that hard spot. I think your approach is genuine and honest - go for it, baby!
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, I LOVED working with a trainer who has once been overweight! She had lost 80 pounds and was by no means "skinny", but she was fit and new the mental blocks I was going through. She was the best support system I could have asked for. I think it helped me connect with her and she really knew how to connect with me because she understood where I was holding back. So basically, I say go for it! You can really help someone else in a way that someone who has never struggled never could.
  • mkskippy24
    Options
    I think the world we live in is full of ignorant and judgemental individuals. Ok, maybe not WORLD, but surely in the USA where women feel like they need to resemble the body types we see on TV, in movies, and in magazines. How this country got so OBSESSED on physical form is beyond me. The ideals that women feel they need to embody are not always "healthy" women, just skinny ones.

ANYHOO.... I think you should ask yourself this: Whatever it is that you want out of life, do you want it to be defined by others and thier personal perceptions or opinions? I live my life to do what makes me happy, regardless of popular opinion. I want to lose weight and eat better to FEEL better, and not require so much caffiene in my life, lol. If learning about personal training and taking classes is something you are passionate about, then do it. There are still people out there that will see past what you look like, and listen to what you have to offer.:bigsmile:

It's feels more stupid to not do something you want to do, because of what others might think of you!
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    i think you're gonna be fabulous! :)

honestly, there are people who won't work with female trainers, and others who specifically won't work with men. so it's just a matter of finding your niche clientele, which i'm SURE is out there.

good luck and keep up the great work helping to change lives, starting with yours no doubt!

xoxo
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is going to school to be a nurse and she only has on normal sized hand. she can do things with her little hand but she doesnt have fingers that grasp and she is making it work. I think that going to school to be a personal trainer is great. you'll learn everything you need to know to get yourself healthy and have the advantage of knowing exactly how hard it is to get healthy when you were overweight. I would honestly love a trainer who has been where I am. especially if I can see them making the changes im hoping to make.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Would I hire a personal trainer that had once been overweight and out of shape and was now healthy, lean and toned? Absolutely.

Would I hire a personal trainer that was currently overweight? No.

I personally wouldn't want someone that is clearly still on their fitness journey telling me what to do on mine. I'd want to make sure that whoever I was paying knew how to fully reach their goal, maintain and succeed, because that's what I'd be looking for guidance on.

So if you really want to be a personal trainer, I say follow that dream, but I'd make sure you've become an example if how to do it right first.

They way I see it, I wouldn't go to a hair stylist with bad hair or a dentist with bad teeth either. ;)