Eating back our burned calories

Options
Are we supposed to eat back whatever calories we have burned? If so, it doesn't make sense to me. I would think the more exercise and more burned calories, the better we loose the weight.

Replies

• ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I do not EVER eat back my exercise calories...I do however eat all of my 1200...I agree that for me it would defeat the purpose..

I have been losing 3+ per week by not consuming them.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    That's like the big question on here ;)
    Try it, if you feel like crap or weight loss slows, go back to not..
  • MelanieB1979
    Options
    You asked a good question. I was wondering that as well....it tells us our calorie allowance, but once we burn some off, the number goes back up! I'm just going by the allowance they've given me, and only counting the food calorie intake, and everything I've burned will be a bonus. (I know, not an answer to your question!)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Taso?
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    lol ya.. idk what that's about either... maybe for those just trying to MAINTAIN their current body weight? I just ignore that. and try to burn off at least double what i've eaten so I lose. so far so good.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I do not EVER eat back my exercise calories...I do however eat all of my 1200...I agree that for me it would defeat the purpose..

I Agree
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only reason I exercise is to gain calories to eat! When MFP figures the calories you should eat to lose the weight you want per week, it is figuring in how many "net" calories you should eat. So, if your daily calorie goal is 1200, you can eat 1200 that day and not exercise. If you exercise, you can eat back what you burned. If you don't, you risk putting your body into starvation mode, and you won't lose weight. I have been at this for 2 months, and have lost 17# by eating the calories I have burned exercising. Hope that helps!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes you are. It's just the way MFP is set up in comparison to other weightloss sites/plans. Other plans budget in a higher number of calories/food intake and assume you will workout. MFP assumes you won't, allots less calories, and generally intends for you to eat back most of your calories. Look at your NET number on your Home page. It should be a part of this equation:

GOAL FOOD- EXERCISE=NET

Your goal should be to have your NET calories be as close to equal your GOAL calories as you can every day. And try to keep them OVER 1200.

For more info on how it works check out the threads here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make sense to me either. But most of the people on here swear by it. Some even say you go into starvation mode and will actually get fatter if you don't eat your calories back.

I don't eat them back. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong. I just choose not to and I've been losing weight just fine. 22 lbs in 7 weeks. But someone on here will say that's unhealthy.... as if being overweight is any better.

Do whatever makes the most sense to you. If it works keep doing it. If it doesn't, well, then do something else.

Everyone is different.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back some of your exercise calories, then most likely you are losing more muscle than fat! Hence, you might weigh less, but you are making your body fatter! You need to eat enough calories to maintain as much muscle as you can. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body will burn even when not exercising.
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with you. I burn between 600 and 800 each time exercising and If i didnt eat back those calories I would starve. I am on the 1200 a day as well.
  • CarissaNew
    CarissaNew Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I agree! I have been eating back some of my exercise calories and not losing! This makes WAY more since to me! So glad I saw this thread!!!
  • eva78
    eva78 Posts: 16
    Options
    MFP has already calculated a calorie deficit for you so I'd say eat them. I didn't to begin and was fine but then the weightloss slowed and stopped. So now I eat most of them but very seldom all of them...

For more info I'd suggest reading this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

There's also a lot more info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Best of luck...

ps. and 15 kg equals 34 pounds lost :)
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Taso?

ROTFL :laugh:
  • Tcasillas
    Tcasillas Posts: 30
    Options
    i see it as the number of calories that this gives you is lower then what you burn just laying in bed all day. so either way your going to lose weight because you are not eating more calories then you burn. so mostly i work out and those calories i burn give me a lil room to eat. I never go over my calories and i have lost 4 lbs in 5 days. And if you want to loose weight faster use it as a bonus.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I have lost 4 inches in one month and 10 pounds..not eating the calories back...

1lb=3,500 calories...you need a deficit of 3,500 per week to lose 1 lb per week...If you eat back your calories you don't have the deficit...

So the real bottom line here since everyone is torn on it...do what works for you...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I would like to reiterate the truth that has been ignored thus far.

*Ahem* Behold...The URL :noway:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • edyta70
    edyta70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I wasnt sure what to do either :/
    I will try for the next week not eat my burnt calories and see how that goes for me :)