WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I did make it to the pool today, and increased my distance a little. My schedule was to swim again tomorrow as it will be my last chance until the 24th, but I'm not sure that I will make it. We have another snowstorm forecast for tomorrow. I don't know who didn't get the memo that I am done with winter, but they need to start listening to me!
    Good night and have a great Tuesday!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

Just a qick in and out for me this morning. Hang on in there Robin :heart:

Today I am supposed to go running at lunchtime - now the thing is my "mrs motivator" is not at work today. Will I have the motivation to get my ***!! in gear and run on my own? Time will tell ladies - I'm posting this hoping it will make me accountable and give me the incentive to get myself out there.

It's a freezing start to the day, but hopefully the sun will get out later - no excuses not to run!

Welcome Slinxy - where abouts in the UK are you? I'm up in York and so far we've not had much sign of spring here! Not started my spring cleaning yet still too cold.

Must dash I'm late for work.

Viv xx
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    A frosty morning here. I really need some warmth in these old bones of mine.

I got on my treadmill earlier, now my knee is complaining loudly and I'm off to Physio in a wee while.

This afternoon I see my cardiologist for some pre-op checks. It's just over two weeks until I get my new valve and the nerves have started to set in.

All I can do right now is plan on maintenance as far as possible. I'm hoping that enforced inactivity after the surgery will not see me gain any weight. There's not really much I can do about it anyway - my health is more important than the number on the scale. I will admit to being a little down at present though. I've worked really hard over the last year to get this weight off. I would hate to have wasted all my efforts.

My love and thoughts are with you all. Big group hugs to us all!

Amanda x
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am still very frustrated and tired of this stuff. I eat very healthy. I don't eat processed food very often at all. I love to cook and I make my breakfast at home to bring to work and I bring greek yogurt with fresh strawberries for mid morning snack. I eat a chicken breast that I grilled the night before for lunch along with a bag of steamed vegetables and then dinner is some kind of protein, vegie and perhaps a half of baked potato or brown rice on two out of 5 days. I can honestly say that I am bored with the food I have been eating for the past year. I have tried incorporating new vegetables and really switiching up things but food is no longer any fun. Working out used to be fun and it isn't anymore. None of this is fun anymore and that is why I am struggling. I won't give up but I feel like giving up. I just need to not think about it so much for a while and just see how things go. thanks for all of your support.
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good morning! :smile: It's a beautifiul brisk morning here in central PA but I'm being hopeful that it'll warm up and won't be too breezy because today is the day I'm getting outside to walk! Viv, if you do it, I'll do it! :laugh: I will be spending today cleaning up at my own house, and also cooking for tomorrow's luncheon at church. I am the facilitator of the elderly ministry called Young At Hearts :heart: and I love it. Once a season we have a luncheon and it is so much fun. Our theme is Ireland this time and I'm making a huge kettle of my family's Irish Stew recipe and Irish shortbread. I'm making some side dishes as well. So, besides walking, today's goal is to stay out of the stew!!!!! :huh:

Amanda, I'm new enough to this site that I didn't know about your upcoming procedure. You are in my prayers for sure.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Robin, it sounds like you are doing all the right things and I don't blame you one little bit for being discouraged. I know you know we're all supporting you, so keep in touch with us, and hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Robin: I too am ready to give up. Your post sounds so much like me. I watch what I eat as well. I have been sick for 5 weeks now and haven't been doing any exercise. I am trying to just maintain right now. I am up 2 pounds (which I have to remember is only a couple large drinks of water). So I am taking a break for a few days. I find that it helps to do that now and then. Then when I refocus I will lose again. I lot 38.5 pounds on herbal magic in 2001 and have now gained all of it back. I tried it again last year and had NO success. I think it has a lot to do with my age and state of mind. I need a reason to lose and it has to be for myself. I am gettng motivated by my closet full of beautiful too small clothes. I am going back to bed now. I took today off to try to get over this cough and head cold once and for all.

susan
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    ROBIN: Hang in there lady, I am a Weight Watcher lifetime member and at age 61
    I am still doing this. :sad: Since I joined this site I have lost 18 pounds very slowly with
    exercise everyday and eating clean and making alot of my meals. I also work
    part time and bring my lunch everyday for the past 2 1/2 years. So I feel your pain,
    but if you give up your done!! Keep on moving and change up your meals, sometimes
    eating the same thing all the time slow weight loss too. So as you read everyone's
    post we are really all in the same boat. We are here to help just ask. :bigsmile:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Happy Mardi Gras from the deep south. No I am not going to Mardi Gras. Hubby has to work and kids are busy so I get a reprieve. I really do not like Mardi Gras or what it stands for but I go to parades with grandkids to enjoy them. but it is done for this year. Now we start lent tomorrow where they all repent and give up stuff for their sins. I am no catholic and dont do that stuff but I think instead of giving up I will add exercise to my daily regime. I have been lax on my exercise even though I have been eating so well. If I can get that exercise back in I can really rev up my metab. Now I have said it I just have to do it. Robin your food plan sounds right on track so I understand the frustration. I too get that way when I look around me and see everyone else just eating whatever they want whenever they want. I am talking about slim people like my sister. she barely weighs 124 and has always been that way. she is not a glutton but never worrries about what she eats. I guess we have to come to realization we are not those people and if we truly want to be slim and healthy we just have to work at it forever and ever. I hope it turns around for you cause speaking from experience you do not want to wake up one day and have to start all over again. If I had stayed at my lowest I would now be on my way to my goal. we are here for you.
    vickim
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've chimed in here. I love reading through thru the posts - you are all such amazing people!

Well, this is Fat Tuesday! Lot's of fat to be had on this day. I went to a prayer breakfast and did fairly well, however I spent about 500 calories and am already ready for lunch! Then I have a pancake supper tonight...my plan is to only flip the pancakes and not eat any of them!!

Just in case....I hope to add in lots of exercise today!

Here's to the feast of the day! Tomorrow the fast begins....

This is rather timely for me. The six week Biggest Loser I joined, which got me started here, is coming to end tomorrow. So I will not pick up a Lenten discipline of staying the course for another 40 days!!!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Actually I WILL stay the course for the 40 days!!! Too funny - something in me must want to say "not" - that ole girl shows up every now and then!!! HA!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Do not be discouraged......for those of us who have been fighting with our weight some or all of our lives, it may seem rotten that we watch what we eat and don't lose weight while others seem to eat whatever they want and stay slim.

I'm sure people on dialysis get discouraged that they have to follow an eating plan and "waste" hours every week on treatment when other people live just fine without it.

I got dealt a body that loves to eat and puts on weight.......i weighed 112 pounds when I was in fourth grade and weight has plagued my most of my life.......the only thing that has worked is vigilance.

It is important to me to accept the fact that my body reacts the way it does and be grateful that I have the tools to find a solution. If I don't stay vigilant, the weight will return and if I don't eat healthy, my attitude and outlook on life will deteriorate.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Last night I had dinner with a group of women including many younger ones who either ate very little or ate milkshakes and macaroni and cheese.......the women my age who all talked about needing to lose weight ate salads (I'm sure none of them had any idea how many calories are in a restaurant dinner salad). This was my first deviation in a long time from my usual healthy eating and I had sweet potato fries however, after reflection I had a tuna sandwich instead of macaroni and cheese or grilled cheese sandwich or patty melt and even though I ordered cole slaw, the waitress forgot to bring it so I had a calorie reprieve......the dinner was big enough without the cole slaw but if it had come, I would have eaten it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: I was less concerned with the calories of the one dinner than I was with the possibility of starting a trend in my thinking.......I've seen too many people racing for the finish line only to suddenly go off course and be out of the race entirely.

:flowerforyou: With lent coming up........take it one day at a time.......just like you do with the rest of your life.......and never, never, never give up :bigsmile:

smiley-bounce016.gif
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi all, sorry not to be very involved recently. My mother (79), hasn't been well since she had her fall a few weeks ago, between that and rushing around with work, time has been tight. Now just heard she has to go into hospital tomorrow for an operation on her leg. I want cake! ..... but I won't eat any......!

Onward and upward!
  • Beadibo
    Beadibo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Step away from the cake. Keep strong - think hot tub........................
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies,

BARBIE, well said, very nice, inspiring to me too. I too had a thought about those friends of mine who say, "I've got to lose or cut down on my weight", and as you, watch them eat a meal, knowing they must have no knowlege of what they are eating, so much bad stuff in prepared foods. I too see very little change in the outside of me, especially when I am going through rough times, and I am forcing myself to watch what I'm eating, that plays a roll in my confidence and well being, however, one day of being good accounts towards for a week in better shape than a slip up here and there. That slip up puts me a week behind or more. My weight as of now is up and down, due to less exercise and more water, teas etc to help keep the food to a level. But if I am good, it will not be long before I will be able to do more exercises, that will make me feel better. Walking is a thing to do a bit at a time, I need my buttocks to keep my back in line while I walk, so I have to sqeeze them as I walk, makes me feel like people behind me might be thinking "that lady has to go to the bathroom", or" she has to relieve herself of some gas"' hehehehe. But it is helping.

ROBIN, SUSAN, a couple thoughts danced in my mind as I read your posts. I have learned at points that my feelings are squashed, that something is amiss with my body. Have you had a good check up with your doctor lately or dentist? The second was, at this time of year, (not sure where you ladies live) we are not able to do to much inside, we get bored and a little out of wack due to vitamin D issues etc. Perhaps just a weekend get-a-way, with some friends to a reasonably priced place? Shake it up, turn it on!!!

TAMMY, you have yourself a good flipping time,:laugh: I will ask the angels to keep you strong, good luck in the next 40!:heart:

Time for exercises, catch all you gals later today maybe,

Marilyn
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    So many posts, so much going on:

Congratulations to those loosing and/or at least staying on track.

I had forgotten that today is Fat Tuesday and now I have to think quick about what to give up for the next 40 days. My first thought was liver, but I don't like liver and that would probably be cheating. My second thought is breakfast burritos. That sounds reasonable and since I had one this morning I am well aware of what it does to my diet even though I count it as both breakfast and lunch. There is no way I can eat until tonight after having one. The green chili was hot today and made me loose my voice and sweat. I just love it.

I lost 2 of the 3 pounds I had put back on, so I am almost back to where I was.

Hang in there everyone. We knew this would not be easy, but it is better for us health wise even when we are staying the same and not loosing. Just think of where you were and where you are today.

Happy Tuesday,

Jeannie
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hello Everyone:flowerforyou:

Have been out with a headache. I've lurked but eyes were not:noway: " up to" staying on here long enough to post.

I will try to go back about 2 pages and address those people. If I leave you out, it isn't intentional.

Shirley- :flowerforyou: I hope Dh's back is doing better. Marilyn and I can tell you that is "no picnic." Twins? :heart: I think twins are special! I hope your sister-in-law is better. A bath with Epsom Salts in the water would relieve soreness for your Dh and your SIL.

LDSpill:flowerforyou: - It isn't just husbands who make sticking to a food plan hard. My mom can come up with some things sometimes, too. She baked a cake when she come home. Nothing to do but I had to take a piece. I am like some others on here, a little dab doesn't :noway: do me either.

Doobiedoo:flowerforyou: - weekends are hard for me...we usually eat out or go to social gatherings with friends. I do different things. I take gum, I take food, I try to have a plan ahead of time...It depends on your situation. You may be one that cooks for your family every Sunday. I know that is a tradition here in the South.

Suezz:flowerforyou: -I hope the flu bug has left by now.

Robin:flowerforyou: - I thought what Shirley said sums it up. It isn't a sprint but a marathon. I think of myself as a tortoise. Slow but on a journey. Good luck with whatever you do~:flowerforyou:

Vicki-:flowerforyou: I was glad to see your weight loss. I know you had a small struggle. You stuck with it and it paid off...That is an ispiration to all of us.

Faye:flowerforyou: - I am always glad to see your posts. Hope your trip to the gym went well.

Mary -:flowerforyou: I hope your swim went well and relaxed you. I would think it would be relaxing, as well as, good excercise.

Kerry:bigsmile: -hello fellow lurker.

Hello SLinxy _ I hope I spelled that correctly. :tongue: No Spring cleaning yet. I have it on my mind. I have company coming for Easter.:tongue:

Grandee - :flowerforyou: You have some cool euphemisms....There is nothing like spending time with your Kids and Grandkids! Your Irish stew sounds delish!:happy:

Sally- I think you handled your eating out with friends, well.:flowerforyou: I think one of our biggest challenges is learning to deal with real life situations.

Hang in there Viv..:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .I have faith in you!

Amanda- what is the re-cupe time for your surgery? Please don't panic. It would take a long time to gain back what you have lost. You have changed your eating habits. I just can't see:noway: you letting what you are fearing happen. Dr Lynn says that you have pre-surgery jitters. You are entitled.:flowerforyou:

Susan -:flowerforyou: I hope you feel better soon. 5 weeks of being sick will discourage anyone.

Tammy - It was good to see your post. :flowerforyou: Good luck with the pancake supper tonight. You have an iron will if you can prepare pancakes and not even take a bite.

Barbie - I am like you, I fear getting off so far that I can't get back. :noway: If you give very much, that is exactly what happens, that is why I fear it.

Hopeful-:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: -I will be thinking of you and your Mom...you have had "rough patch" , lately.

Marilyn- That was funny.:laugh: :laugh: Is that what you are supposed to do? Squeeze your buttocks to strengthen your muscles? I did those excercises you explained...wow!:flowerforyou:

Jeannie --Hang tough! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

To all those who are beginning Lent--Good luck! :flowerforyou: It seems there are enough of you, to help each other and the rest of us will "chime" in.

I have got to get up from here. My buttocks won't even know I'm squeezing them because I am numb.:bigsmile:

Everyone have a wonderful day and good luck!
  • Grandee47
    Options
    Glad you're back Lynn. I'm just checking in to say I've stayed out of the stew (it smells awesome) and I did a 1.5 mile walk. :tongue:
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    I have to share this joke about Wally World :bigsmile: and veggies.:laugh:

Tired of constantly being broke & stuck in an unhappy marriage, a young husband decided to solve both problems by taking out a large insurance policy on his wife with himself as the beneficiary, and then arranging to have her killed.

A 'friend of a friend' put him in touch with a nefarious dark-side underworld figure that went by the name of 'Artie.' Artie explained to the husband that his going price for snuffing out a spouse was $5,000.

The husband said he was willing to pay that amount, but that he wouldn't have any cash on hand until he could collect his wife's insurance money. Artie insisted on being paid at least something up front, so the man opened his wallet, displaying the single dollar bill that rested inside. Artie sighed, rolled his eyes, & reluctantly agreed to accept the dollar as down payment for the dirty deed.

A few days later, Artie followed the man's wife to the local Super Wal-Mart store. There, he surprised her in the produce department & proceeded to strangle her with his gloved hands. As the poor unsuspecting woman drew her last breath & slumped to the floor, the manager of the produce department stumbled unexpectedly onto the murder scene. Unwilling to leave any living witnesses behind, ol' Artie had no choice but to strangle the produce manager as well.

However, unknown to Artie, the entire proceedings were captured by the hidden security cameras & observed by the store's security guard, who immediately called the police. Artie was caught and arrested before he could even leave the store.

Under intense questioning at the police station, Artie revealed the whole sordid plan, including his unusual financial arrangements with the hapless husband who was also quickly arrested.

The next day in the newspaper, the headline declared -

(You're going to hate me for this.)

'ARTIE CHOKES 2 for $1.00 @ WAL-MART!'

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I posted this reply to Lynn's joke on the Golden Sneakers thread. Since everyone on here doesn't read both, I am pasting it here as well:
    Lynn,

Two can play that game...Did you hear about the fellow who worked in produce and was too shy to propose to his beloved in person, so he wrote to her instead?

"Rosemary,

My heart beets for you!! Do you carrot all for me? If I am your sweet pea, lettuce marry, and be the apple of my eye. Someday we could have a pear of sprouts together.":wink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .......

.....BTW,

I am watching "The Doctors," and they just said that a brain scan revealed that shopping lights up the same pleasure centers in your brain that making whoopee does!! Who knew? Makes me wonder if the reason the economy hasn't recovered is due to Viagra. How, you ask? Well, because of Viagra, everyone is too "busy" to shop and stimulate the economy.:noway::wink::wink: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Amanda,

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have lost and maintained through all kinds of adversity. You will know what to do to adjust to the recovery period after your surgery and you will do fine.

Robin,

I feel the frustration in your post. I regained some of what I lost, and it is maddening. I think your body needs to adapt to your new routine since you are working. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, and if you are sick of what you are eating, it is time to go online and come up with some new options. If you have a veggie you like, for example, and are tired of having it the same old way, google recipes for it. You can also take things that you like and combine them in new ways. Lastly, if you are tired of chicken, try shrimp, fillet of sole, clams, as an alternative protein source. Good luck!!

Barb