WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Barb that is funny~
    If you should want to know...humor is how I get through no weight loss for 2 months and all other things negative that I might focus on. If you can rise above things enough to laugh...they don't look so big when they are below you.:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    SuzyQ - wow! talk about how things work out for a reason! So sorry the new people had to deal with the fire, but glad you didn't.

barbie, grandee and all other cat lovers - there's a sign at the Humane Society that says "cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one"

Peggy - what a beautiful dress, so "summery" looking. So happy that it fits you, too!

Tomorrow there's a new toning class at one branch of the Y that I want to try, then at another branch there's a class, not sure exactly what it is but from the pictures I suspect it's something like a Body Pump class. At least, that's what I'm hoping. The bad part is that the class is held so late in the day (10). The other class is at 7:15. So I'll go to the 7:15 class, then by the time I get out of there I'll drive up to the other Y, maybe stop at one store and exchange some butter that I got (I got unsalted by accident, I really wanted salted) and maybe buy a bit more, put that in a cooler, then try out the other class. If it's like I'm thinking, I'll go to the spinning class early, leave early, then take that class next week. Don't know that I can do it all the time, tho. It's just too late for me.

marlouise - typically, I drink anywhere from 70 to a bit over 100 oz of water/day.

Well, I went to the toning class today. Really, it wasn't what I was expecting, but it wasn't bad, either. However, I really wanted to try the class that's like Body Pump, only it's on Mon and Wed. at 10, not Tues and Thurs. On Tues and Thurs it's at 5:30 a.m. There is NO WAY I can get there for that class. Tomorrow we have a Newcomer's meeting at 10 but I'll take a yoga class at 7:15 first. Vince and I will probably go to the Humane Society tomorrow after the meeting so I'm making the meatloaf tonight so all I have to do is heat it up tomorrow.

Slinxy - welcome! Spring cleaning???? We still have the boxes of our Christmas decorations on the floor in our living room! Vince has been working to get shelves up in the detatched garage so some of them can go there. In a way, I'm glad that I'm going to have Bunco here, gives him a real reason to have to get that done. Otherwise, I can see those boxes sitting here until July, heck, I can see him saying "why bother putting them away, we'll just have to take them out next year". I tell you, I just look at a plant and it dies. That is, except for weeds....lol

grandee - Irish shortbread. You know, I've never heard of Irish shortbread. How do you make it? A friend of ours usually has an open house for St. Pat's day and I don't know what to take with me. Last year I took this Irish soda bread and some spinach tarts. This year I'm thinking (not that I've been invited yet, tho) that I would make this jello mold that's green jello, cream cheese and pineapple.

Oh, that's right, today is Fat Tuesday! I am trying making this turkey black bean chili, only I think I needed to soak the beans longer. The internet says 6-12 hours, I did it for only 6. The beans seem a bit on the raw side to me. So I'm going to let them just simmer for a long while.

Robin - I hear your frustration. Sometimes you just need to change things up, even the foods. Give it a try.

tammy - good to "see" you again!

Amanda - you're in my thoughts

hopeful - sorry about your mother

Lynn - GROAN!!! Thanks for the smile, tho.

Have a great evening everyone

Michele
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I've been cleaning like a crazy woman since I got some energy back.

Hubby is on nights, and didn't get called out last night, so today he went shopping with me. We made most of the local lumber yards looking for potential floor coverings. We found some ceramic tile for the foyer and sun room we both really like and a great buy on some unfinished hardwood. Now to get some precise measurements and go back on his day off with the truck.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Lynn,
    Thanks for bringing us some humor today. I believe that humor truly is healing.Thanks for the reminder!
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Michele, Irish shortbread is easy. It has few ingredients and it makes two 8"round pans. I'll post the recipe in the Recipes section tomorrow. It's upstairs and I'm all snuggled in and comfy and warm........and lazy! :ohwell:

I had a good day. I cooked all day and stayed out of the stew and other things I made. I had a lunch I love (baked tilapia and sweet potato) so I wasn't even tempted to test the stew. Also got out for a mile and a half walk so I feel great about that. The best thing of all is that I was energetic after my very strenuous day yesterday which means I am getting stronger.

Lynn, I love that Artie story, and I love the beets story that followed. Laughter is definitely the best medicine!!!!!!

My hubby is still in Memphis, so I'm finally going to the Recipes to see what good goodies I can find. Have a great evening everyone.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    He's here! :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: 6 pounds 3 ounces. Mom and baby Raiden are doing fine. All his 12 grandmas and great grandmas are doing fine too. We didn't stop to count grandpas yet but there were 4 there just this afternoon and four of us grammas. Nooooooo, he won't be spoiled at all! :huh:

Faye
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ildi59
    ildi59 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just checking in, saying quik Hello to everyone, Lynn you're too funny, I love it.
    Have a wonderful day tomorrow!
    Ildi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marilyn, the older I get, the less I care about what other people think.....squeeze your buttocks all you need while you walk.....you're the one doing good stuff for your body.....I dance all the time and don't worry if someone looks at me funny......if you're movin', you're losin' :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I never knew that "Fat Tuesday" was the day you overindulged before giving stuff up for lent.........if I had known sooner, I might have indulged even though I don't observe lent :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Lynn and Barb, you both crack me up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I had to call hubby in the other room to read all the funny stuff to him.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I hope you can stay in the moment so your anxiety about the surgery doesn't steal the joy from your life today.....:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Michelle, you are such an amazingly active woman.....I feel like a couch potato by comparison

:flowerforyou: Faye, congratulations on the new baby.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: my sweet hubby went out to lunch today and brought me a doggie bag from our favorite Chinese restaurant so dinner for me was chicken with bok choy and green barley noodles.....I got out a pair of chopsticks and had a feast while he was gone walking with another friend.

:flowerforyou: I just got a text from my Wednesday walking friend......she is coming over rain or shine......we've missed three weeks in a row and I can't wait to see her and walk our beautiful path.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Michelle,

In reference to the sign at your Humane Society about the cats, I probably should have a sign at my house that says "DOGS are like potato chips....etc."

Suzzeque, Glad you are feeling better, and thank goodness your old house was spared from the fire. Too bad for your renters, though.

I should have taken notes, so for anything I overlooked, it was not intentional.

BFN

Barb
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Faye!
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congrats Faye!!:flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know what is happening in my world. My mother has been in the hospital since Thursday. Monday she was told that if she did not have surgery she would not be able to walk again, or to go home to her house. We thought that on Tuesday we would be talking about surgery schedules, but she came down with aspiration pneumonia and sepsis. She is in the CICU now, and we weren't sure she would make it through the night, but she did. I am hopeful that the meds they are giving her will work miracles and she will improve. Only time will tell. Anyway, I am still working, and plan to go see her on Saturday at this point, as my sister is with her and there is little that I could do. If you are a praying person, remember us please.

That being said, I will try to go back to being my usual self. I hope all of you are having a great Wednesday!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Faye- Congratulations

Mary- I will be praying for your mother. Hope she improves soon.

Susan, Robin- I hear you ladies. You are so right when you say it has a lot to do with age. But, that doesn't mean that we can't lose. it just means that it will take us a lot longer. I am so glad that I found this group. When I look at some of the posts from some of my other friends, I see that they lose a considerable amount of weigh and burn mega calories with exercise. But, many of them are 20 or 30 years old. It has taken me 2 years to get this far, but I am determined I will get to my goal.

Amanda- You need to get healthy first, and then you will be able to get back to your activity. You have come so far. Do the best that you can.

For lent I am giving up chocolate candy. I always felt that as long as I stayed within my daily calories, that the candy was ok. I have found that I'd start with my 9 kisses but always want a few more. Enough is enough!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Faye,
    Congratulations. He is beautiful. Can you please explain 12 grandmas great grandmaws.
    vicki M
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow, Barbiecat, I'm really impressed with how much weight you have lost!!! I have just signed up today, and coincidentally, I weigh the same as you did when you started. Glad I checked in on the 50+ feed. I'm not great with the computer, but I think I can handle this. Hope I do as well as you! I love to cook, and portion size is probably my biggest problem. Kids have left home, and I'm still cooking for an army.
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Vickie - 12 grandmas explained: baby's mother's mom, baby's mothers GM, baby's mothers GGM, baby's mothers step GM, baby's mother's dad's mom (me), and on it goes..... with steps and long lived relatives it can go on and on. My husbands step-mom is in the list. A short time ago it would have been 14 but a couple passed away recently , they were over 100 years old. It adds up to 12 and we all keep it friendly even with the occasional divorce in the mix. :happy:

Off to the gym before the after work crowd hits. More personalized replies after I get to read and catch up. I actually stay home tomorrow. I don't WANT to but I figure the new Mom needs someone to show some restraint. I will be there Thurs or Friday though. :bigsmile:

Faye
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Lynn - I loved that joke :happy:

Hubby is getting better with his back but he can't exercise yet and he really wants too. This is a man that never exercised until
    we got the Wii Fit Plus. Now he is at it everyday. :love:

Pouring rain here in Ontario, Canada and we will get more snow. :cry:

My sister-in-law who is a nurse, says she is okay but may have fractured her tailbone which the doctors won't do anything about.
    You just have to heal on your own.

Have a good day everyone!
  • Ldspill
    Ldspill Posts: 49
    Options
    I can't take my eyes off you guys for just a couple of days.....there's like three more pages to read and so much happening. My life has hit an all time level of crazy. You all apparently know how I feel from what I read. I hate to see you all having so many struggles but I'm glad I'm not alone. I have a habit of making light of things that get me down, so in essence I really don't get down.

On monday, I started a new routine. I walk in the morning for an hour on the treadmill. Then I do some strength training (free weights, stability ball and bands) for about 30 minutes. On alternate days I randomly chose a dvd to work out to, anything from Dancing with the Stars to 30 minute shred and a 30 minute walk. I am trying to get the kind of results I see on The Biggest Loser. I'm sure they work out 5 to 6 hours a day, but reality check, who has that kind of time? I've lost 2 pounds in 2 days. Some of that is a strict diet too. I gave up anykind of soft drink and I am drinking my 8 to 10 glasses of water every day. Some days I drink more because with this routine, I'm sweating like a pig. Nope, I'm not dewy or perspiring, I'm sweating. The whole idea is muscle confusion. When you do the same thing over and over again, the muscles reach their potential and stop. When you expect more they do more. Building muscle doesn't mean getting bulky, you'd have to take some kind of inhancer for that to happen. Women's bodies aren't made to bulk but we need the muscle. Muscle helps burn fat, the more muscle you have the more fuel efficient your body is. For a while here, I've let myself go but I'm back and when I get to the point of posting "before and afters". I think everyone will realize it's ....NEVER TOO LATE". I'm not sure if this little pep talk was for you or for me, but I hope it helps. Go skateboard, ride a bike or jump into a swing.....just shake things up a little.

Lynn & Barb......You're both warpped, my kinda people, I'm still laughing.

Faye....congrats, I know how hard it is to stay away form a new grandbaby, I have six.

Mary...Your mom is in my prayers.

I'm feeling exceptionally wonderful today and I just wanted to share. I'm pretending the sun is shining, the music IS up loud and I think I'm gonna go dance around in my underware. Thank God this isn't video!!!

Have a great day.