Healthy Detox Challenge - NO FASTING

Options
124»

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be DAY SEVEN. Can you believe it?! Hooray us!!!!!

Today was a good day - was able to eat on track and didn't have cravings much at all. But I was STARVING almost all day!!!! Don't know where that's coming from, but it's interesting.

Hope you all are doing great! I can't wait to hear updates from all.!!
    D.
  • jillbarnes
    Options
    Totally forgot to post yesterday, and almost forgot today! I'm normally a picky eater but am using this challenge to push myself outside my menu box a bit. I have had to curb a few carb cravings which has made me think about how much bread, chips, crackers, etc I really do eat, even though I had been staying under my calorie goals. MFP has really helped me pay more attention to cooking methods and portion size, but this challenge is even more of an eye opener.

Last night was tough. We had dinner plans with friends for a specific restaurant (pizza/pasta) before starting this detox. I ate before we went and my husband rolled his eyes when I said I ate a late lunch. This weekend is going to be really difficult, we're going to my in-laws (insert gasp here). My Mother-In-Law (MIL) loves to cook but is such an unhealthy cook...nothing organic, velveeta (gross) or cream of __ soup baked into everything and lots of desserts. I have had issues with her cooking before I watched my calories, so this should be extra...eventful.
  • CarlitaK
    CarlitaK Posts: 139
    Options
    It is so much harder when we aren't at home to prepare the food.

I was really hungry today too! I think it was because I did weights for the first time (in a loooong time) last night. I'm really happy I did, but could not seem to fill up today.

My boyfriend made me a delicious dinner tonight! Cabbage with snapper, avocado, cilantro, pickled onions, hot sauce.... sounds weird but it was sooooo good! and uber healthy! We also had a salad with pepper, blueberries and almonds... yum!

I have to say i couldn't do this without him... he's been so supportive (aside from snacking on my favourite foods in front of me) hahaha

Mocha: what kind of a check in are you looking for tomorrow?
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Totally forgot to post yesterday, and almost forgot today! I'm normally a picky eater but am using this challenge to push myself outside my menu box a bit. I have had to curb a few carb cravings which has made me think about how much bread, chips, crackers, etc I really do eat, even though I had been staying under my calorie goals. MFP has really helped me pay more attention to cooking methods and portion size, but this challenge is even more of an eye opener.

Last night was tough. We had dinner plans with friends for a specific restaurant (pizza/pasta) before starting this detox. I ate before we went and my husband rolled his eyes when I said I ate a late lunch. This weekend is going to be really difficult, we're going to my in-laws (insert gasp here). My Mother-In-Law (MIL) loves to cook but is such an unhealthy cook...nothing organic, velveeta (gross) or cream of __ soup baked into everything and lots of desserts. I have had issues with her cooking before I watched my calories, so this should be extra...eventful.

Jill - you're awesome!!! I'm so glad you're enjoying the challenge and taking it head on. I've been thinking the same thing, sort of amazed at how many snacks I was eating, even though I was eating under calorie goals. The social aspects make it *soooooo* tough. I feel your pain there.

I don't have much to suggest for your MIL challenge - that's extremely tough. Claim stomach flu? LOL Maybe others will have some suggestions. That's always been a really tough challenge to tackle. Know that we are rooting for you - and remember, this is for YOU! You are worth the effort. I can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options

I was really hungry today too! I think it was because I did weights for the first time (in a loooong time) last night. I'm really happy I did, but could not seem to fill up today.

I have to say i couldn't do this without him... he's been so supportive (aside from snacking on my favourite foods in front of me) hahaha

The hunger thing is weird. I'll be curious if others experience it around their detox day 6, too. I ate lots of good foods to help, crazy amounts of fruit - and managed to stay under my calorie goal. Normally, I would have eaten crackers or chips or something... that's been a huge switch. But it seems to be working! I am starting to really feel benefits.

And yay to the boyfriend. It help so much to have that support. I'm equally as lucky. Even though I complain that he can eat anything he wants and not put on an ounce - he is totally supportive of everything I try.

<contented sigh>
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    DAY SEVEN - Thursday

))))****Loud Applause****((((

Day 7 is upon us! We are officially halfway through our 14 day challenge!!!!! We have so much to look forward to this week, including:
    - If you've been consistent with your avoidance of additives and preservatives, nutrient-empty food cravings should be less and less
    - You should start to feel a peak in energy and a decrease in fatigue
    - You may start to crave other foods, like fruits, vegetables, proteins OVER nutrient-empty foods
    - You may have some changes in your sleep patterns (more or less)

It's more important than every to stick to your plan. Don't get lax - this is the real turning point. Keep up that water consumption, keep reading your labels, and keep documenting in your diaries.

Everyone has done a nice job of posting to others and reviewing diaries - keep it up. We can bring this home our last 7 days.

For tomorrow, it would be great to check in and post about the following:
    - Review your diary entries for the last few days. How have you been doing? What would you like to change, if anything, for the next 7 days?
    - If you weighed before the challenge, it's a great time to weigh again. Remember, this is NOT a weight loss challenge, but you may see some progress there
    - Identify any challenges you think you may encounter over the next 7 days. What's your plan to overcome?
    - Start thinking about your maintenance plan, if you intend to have one. What behaviors will you sustain? What will you let go?

I can't wait to read your thoughts. And I want to thank everyone for participating. You guys have helped motivate me and I'm thrilled how I'm doing. So, thank you! I look forward to another week with my Natural Girls!

D.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Good Morning, Everyone!! Here's my check-in information:

- Cravings are definitely less. And it's getting easier to say no to open temptation, too. It's still difficult, but it is easier.
    - I am absolutely feeling a wonderful boost of energy. My 2 PM slump has vanished!
    - Not craving other foods yet. But I AM actually feeling real hunger once in awhile. Good foods fill me up, but I find I'm hungry in an hour or so.
    - I have found I'm falling asleep easier at the end of the day. Instead of tossing and turning for an hour, I pretty much go to sleep within 15 minutes. This is especially exciting for me because I used to very dependent on a sleeping pill (Ambien) to help me go to sleep. I originally started the pill when I traveled and had to cross multiple time zones every week, but once I stopped it, I couldn't get my sleep patters regulated. So I continued to take it for THREE MORE YEARS. I started night-eating without knowing it, and that contributed to a 30lb weight gain. I've been off the stuff for a year, but I've still struggled with good sleep. So, this has been a blessing!! I'm still a light sleeper, so wake frequently in the night if anyone in the house makes a sound, but it's been better! Hooray!

With my diary review, I'm actually very happy with how I've done. I noticed I missed documenting a dinner 1 night. So my goal for the next seven is to complete EVERY day. I also went over my goal calories twice during the week. While this doesn't concern me, especially during detox, I'd really like to stay under goal for at least 6 days this week.

My weight loss for the 7 days has been 8.5 pounds. <blink blink> Yes. 8.5!!! I'm a little shocked at that number. But it seems to be holding and accurate. GO WHOLE FOODS!

The only challenge I'm concerned about this week is our Saturday night. My boyfriend has been so great and supportive, and Saturday is our night together. I think we're planning to go out - so I've got to figure a strategy for how to do that and stay on plan. I'm also considering having a glass of wine Saturday (organic, and as natural as possible of course), but I'm struggling with that, too. Ideally, I'd like to skip it... but I really want it. LOL Not sure how that will play out. So my plan on that is: weight the pros and cons, make a conscious decision before the weekend, then stick to whatever that plan is.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone!
    D.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Alright... the Half Way mark!

I am extremely pleased with my diary for the last week. I have followed the food plan for the detox/cleanses I have done in the past, meaning: no red meat, wheat, dairy, preservatives, sugar, salt, pre-packaged food. It's been difficult making everything from scratch, but my boyfriend is an amazing cook and has been supportive of me every step of the way.

I think I have lost a couple pounds. My weigh ins for other groups are on Tuesdays, so between the Tuesday before the detox to this tuesday I have lost 4 pounds, which I partly contribute to this cleanse.

Challenges over the next 7 days: I like wine. I like wine on the weekends. I enjoy kicking back over a delicious meal with my partner and sipping a fine glass of wine. So... i will be having organic wine again this weekend. I know that sounds bad, but I quite enjoy it. I haven't slipped up on anything else! No cheating whatsoever, so it's my little treat to me :)

How do I feel eating this way? I feel good. I wouldn't say really good, I still have my cravings... but I agree with Mocha that is has become easier and easier to say no to the foods that I used to jump at. That makes me happy. I guess i have been sleeping better as well. I am also more tired than usual, I'm not really sure why, but I have been going to sleep at 10 every night.

Maintainance plan: I would like to make it a priority to eat more fresh fruits and veggies. I normally eat them, but I have really enjoyed my morning and before bed fruit consumption. I have found that fresh fruits are just as tasty as unhealthy treats :) I will start to enjoy wheat and dairy once again, but have enjoyed the light feeling that comes with avoiding those two things. Perhaps a few days a week I will try to have protein and produce heavy meals and skip the wheat and dairy. we shall see.

All in all, I'm excited to keep this going for the next week and looking forward to many more delicious, healthy meals ahead of me :)
  • viggie
    viggie Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options

Challenges over the next 7 days: I like wine. I like wine on the weekends. I enjoy kicking back over a delicious meal with my partner and sipping a fine glass of wine. So... i will be having organic wine again this weekend. I know that sounds bad, but I quite enjoy it. I haven't slipped up on anything else! No cheating whatsoever, so it's my little treat to me :)

Although I talk about the potential derailing effects of wine because of the work the liver needs to do, I don't want you to think of it was cheating. Organic wine, within your calorie goals and PLANNED for, is okay! I think that's the key to successful detox - individualize so it will work for you. YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC.

AND 4 lbs? YAH! That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    We have made it PAST our halfway point!!! Hoo HAH!!!!

How is everyone feeling for the weekend? I know we had some challenges and some planned indulgences for the weekend, so be sure to check in and post about your experiences.

I just got back from a lovely walk and had breakfast, now getting ready to head out for errands and to pick up some home improvement supplies. Something is getting painted!!!

Happy Weekend, Everyone.

PS - Special thoughts for our fellow challenger, nutrigaby - it sounds like she's had a really tough week.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Ya Gaby - our thoughts are with you! Glad you are ok... i myself was robbed once.. in a home invasion.. not fun! but think on the bright side, you are safe and sound, and everything else can be replaced.

This weekend is going well so far. I'm a little down for some reason, but my boyfriend was fantastic as usual and surprised me with flowers and a delicious dinner... things are looking up again.

Have a great weekend!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Tomorrow is DAY TWELVE! Can you believe it!?!?! We’re almost there!!!

My day 11 has been *very* busy, which I’m thankful for because I am REALLY HUNGRY again today. Not craving –hungry, but out and out hungry. I’m trying to fill up on fruit – going on my 2nd grapefruit right now!

I’m also planning to go to the gym tonight and earn a few extra calories just in case I need another snack.

Today I’m also very irritable. My fuse is super-short, and I’m overreacting to just about everything. It could be the beginning of a hormone cycle, but it’s a few days early for me to be experiencing that.

Hope you all are doing well!

For tonight and tomorrow, it’s important to begin thinking about your maintenance plan. What are you going to keep doing? What might you add back in?

Talk to you soon!
    D.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    FYI - breaking down today and having homemade organic hamburger with whole wheat bun and bbq sauce...

And organic vodka/san pelligrino...

Long day, after a few long weeks.

I'm also having a chocolate bar! but its one with few ingredients and locally made...

I'm not going to feel bad about this! But i do.... sigh....

Tomorrow will be better :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Hey, Carlita! You've done so great, don't sweat it! You gave 100% and made it 12 days! That's awesome!!!!!! Plus, like you said, get back on the natural wagon tomorrow and you'll be good to go for the last 3 days. You may notice a little bit of craving creep back in, but you will be able to lick it.

I hope you enjoyed your indulgence (it sounds delicious) and I really appreciate your full disclosure. LOL Do NOT feel bad about this. Guilt is a burden you don't need, and it's not warranted. Look at what you've accomplished.

Now it's time to bring it home, Ladies!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Hey, Carlita! You've done so great, don't sweat it! You gave 100% and made it 12 days! That's awesome!!!!!! Plus, like you said, get back on the natural wagon tomorrow and you'll be good to go for the last 3 days. You may notice a little bit of craving creep back in, but you will be able to lick it.

I hope you enjoyed your indulgence (it sounds delicious) and I really appreciate your full disclosure. LOL Do NOT feel bad about this. Guilt is a burden you don't need, and it's not warranted. Look at what you've accomplished.

Now it's time to bring it home, Ladies!
  • jennyab
    jennyab Posts: 20
    Options
    Congrats ladies, (Great weight loss, Mocha!)
    wow, we are almost there! I have to admit, this is getting old for me. It is my own fault, I have not had a whole lot of variety day to day. I do feel great and I have lost 6 pounds (WHOO HOO) but I am definitely ready for our 14 days to be up. The great thing about the natural eating is that my sugar- carb cravings have been greatly reduced and I think I have kicked my diet soda habit. I am sleeping much better and feel like I have a ton of energy. Also, I am a type 1 diabetic and my blood glucose levels have been outstanding! The thing that kinda sucks about it is not really being able to go out anywhere. Anyway, that is where I am at. Great job and keep up the great work, we can do it!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    DAY THIRTEEN

We have *almost* done it! Today is our LAST FULL DAY before the end of our 14 day challenge! Congratulations!
    This is a brutal challenge, even though the premise is so simple. You have read your labels, learned about everything you’ve put in your mouth, diligently tracked your food, given up pre-prepared and restaurant fare, and shunned processed foods for TWO WEEKS! I hope you are feeling GREAT about your accomplishments, and your body is thanking you!

After posting your final thoughts, you are officially released from the Challenge. LOL What does that mean to you?

For me:
    - I’m thrilled with my weight results. I won’t weigh again until Friday, but it looks like I’m on track to lose another pound or so this week
    - I’m feeling better. My cravings for nutrient-empty foods have been dramatically reduced.
    - I plan to maintain the organic, natural focus. However, I *will* be having a glass of wine with my Honey this weekend. In addition, we’d like to go out for an overdue celebration dinner for a new promotion.
    - I have much more energy, and my sleep seems to be better quality. I’m getting about 6.5-7 hours a night and feeling rested. Previously I needed 8-9 hours and still felt draggy.

What concerns me:
    - I know that even 1 dinner out or a bite of processed food can restart me at Day 1 for cravings. But I also don’t think it’s reasonable to think you can always avoid these foods. I’m not entirely sure how to balance. I know I can’t go back to having a Starbuck’s bagel everyday… or even every other day.
    - Cola still has a hold on me. While the craving for it diminished, I still thought about my Sprite Zero. I’d like to NOT return to drinking any soda. I’m worried about my ability to avoid that. However, this is one of those things that if I choose to, I really COULD avoid completely and that would be reasonable.

And, I think that’s it. Thank you, my Natural Buddies, for your help and support in our challenge. You kept me going on days that were very tough. I frequently found myself, when faced with a food choice, saying “I can’t eat that because I can’t put that in my diary and let my buddies down.” So that peer pressure was welcomed, and I appreciate you so much.

Please feel free to keep me as a friend. I’d love to share your journey – and I promise, I won’t give you any more harassment on your food diaries. :-D

CONGRATULATIONS!! Give yourself a giant hug and a pat on the back. I’m so proud of all of us!
    Most sincerely,
    D.
  • CarlitaK
    Options
    Done! And i totally went over on my calories last night enjoying all the things i shouldn't eat! hahaha....

Thanks Mocha for starting this! Congrats to everyone who participated :)