Cooking Challenge: Cabbage

Options

Replies

• cabbie461
    cabbie461 Posts: 23
    Options
    You said: "CALORIES PER SERVING: Not sure, Would love to know "

Difficult to work out without precise number of servings but I have used 10 servings per recipe.

Calories 369
    Calories From Fat 232
    Saturated Fat 4grms
    Sodium 370 mg
    Fibre 4 grm
    Sugars 14 grm
    Protien 6grm

The good: This food is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin C, and a very good source of Vitamin K.
  • Kid70
    Kid70 Posts: 36
    Options
    Spicy Cabbage

1 head of cabbage
    1 Large sweet onion
    1 Large jalapeno
    3 cloves of garlic
    Texas Pete hot sauce to taste
    2 tb olive oil
    Toney’s Creole seasoning to taste
    Salt pepper to taste
    Heat up a large pan with the olive oil. Chop up the cabbage slice the onion, slice the jalapeño (with the seeds or with out depends on how hot you want it) and chop up your garlic

After your pan is hot layer you items in the pan with the cabbage, onion, pepper and the garlic. Also add some seasoning hot sauce and s/p on each layer.

Cook on medium to low heat until soft. (I cook it covered and until the cabbage is almost burnt) If you like it spicy you can add more hot sauce to the dish.

Not sure how many calories this has but it can't have very many

This sounds mega-appealing to me!!!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I make a cabbage,chicken and vegetable soup regularly. It's filling and so nutritious! Here's the link! Please enjoy!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1398594

EDIT: I have since started reducing the amount of chicken broth to reduce the sodium. Half water and half broth still tastes wonderfully just use more poultry seasoning per your tastes.
  • quilter1951
    Options
    My this sounds good never thought of using enchalota sauce.
  • corgant715
    corgant715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Bump!!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Indian-Style Cabbage (http://www.herbivoracious.com/2008/10/five-minute-ind.html)

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 head green cabbage, cored and sliced into 1/4" wide ribbons
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter), or mustard oil, or more to taste
    1 tablespoon mustard seeds
    1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the mustard seeds.

2. When the seeds start popping add the rest of the spices and stir for about 10 minutes.

3. Add the cabbage and spinach and cook over the heat for about 5 minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 63
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2
    PICTURE (optional): IMG_4651.jpg
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just put my "recipe" for Easy Oven Roasted Cabbage into my MFP "recipes"...

I put that it serves 4 - those would be VERY GENEROUS servings.

I figured 1 TBSP of Olive Oil - could cut this down if you wanted.

But with those figures, it's 186 cal per serving, 744 cals for the whole thing.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    OK - I give up! No time to make a new recipe this week. I made and posted this recipe mid-Feb in the recipe section and I'll share it here with you. Inspired by http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/30/carrot-cake-smoothie-warm-sweet-potato-n-black-bean-salad/

Warm Cabbage, Roasted Squash and Black Bean Salad
    Makes 5-6 large sides.

1/2 cup dry black beans
    Enough water to cover

1/2 buttercup squash (approx 570grams), cleaned, cubed with peel removed
    1 large red onion, slice into 1/4 inch half moons
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    salt and pepper

1/4 large cabbage, chopped into 1/2 inch squares

Dressing:
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 jalapeno pepper, minced
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    3-4 Tbsp real lime juice
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    Optional: 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (I didn't have any but it would be so good!)

** I omitted all the cooking oil and substituted it with cooking spray, since the dressing already contains 2 Tbsp of oil. Feel free to add it back if you prefer. I also use dried black beans but you could use approx 1 1/4 cup of canned beans instead, just rinse them thoroughly and account for the added sodium used in processing.

Ahead of time:
    In a medium sized bowl, cover black beans with water and soak overnight. In the morning, rinse beans thoroughly, cover with about 2 inches of water and boil gently with a tilted lid until tender, 30-60mins. Allow to cool in cooking water and then drain and store in the fridge until you are ready to make the salad.

Preheat oven to 400F.
    Spray a baking sheet lightly with cooking spray, and arrange cubed squash, red onion and red pepper on the baking sheet (I mixed them together for more even cooking). Spray vegetables lightly with cooking spray (or oil) and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 mins, turn gently, and bake an additional 15 mins until squash is tender and all vegetables appears roasted.

While roasting, whisk together dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in cooked black beans and set aside.

Heat a large skillet to medium, spray lightly with cooking spray or oil, and add cabbage. Stir fry for 7-10 mins, stirring every few mins, until cabbage has softened and is slightly caramelized. Remove from heat but keep warm.

Once the vegetables are roasted, add the cabbage to the bean and dressing mixture and fold to combine. Then add the roasted veggies and fold gently (the squash will be rather soft and break apart if mixed too thoroughly). Serve immediately while everything is still warm.

For 1/5 of the recipe, using dried beans and cooking spray:
    Calories: 148
    Fat: 5
    Protein 6
    Fiber: 11

Meag
  • frankisgal
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 lbs of 97% fat free ground turkey
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/4 cup of dried onion flakes
    1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk
    1 can of mild enchilada sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Brown the meat. Mix the browned meat, rice, onion flakes, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a bowl. Clean the cabbage and boil each leaf in water or chicken broth until flexible. Place some filling mixture on a leaf and roll it up. Place a tooth pick through the flap to hold it in place. Place on a baking dish. Once you are done with all the rolls pour enchilada sauce over them and bake. Bake covered at 350* for 40 - 50 mins. Remove tooth picks before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Cabbage Rolls Total for 1 roll:
    Calories 73, Fat 2g, Fiber 0g, Protein 9g, Sodium 335, Sugar 1g

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is another one we loved. I burned the tops a little and the next time I make themI will put the flap on the bottom. lol. I got the idea from this website http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagemaindishrecipes/r/bl30620u.htm but changes a lot of it to make it more diet friendly. :)

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg

Do you know the carb count?
  • scopelk
    scopelk Posts: 43
    Options
    love cabbage
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute FAVORITE food ever. It's a Filipino dish called "Sinigang na Bangus," which is a sour broth with milkfish and vegetables. It's definitely an unusual dish, but sooo good and low cal.

lzm+hipon.jpg

Below is a modified recipe of the "Sinigang na Bangus" (Sinigang with Milkfish) recipe in Filipino Cooking Here and Abroad to instead include catfish or shrimp.
    1-1/2 lbs. catfish fillets OR shelled shrimp
    2-1/2 cups water
    4-5 medium Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
    1 medium onion
    3-4 tbsp. lemon juice
    2-3 tbsp. patis
    salt for fish
    1 lb. green beans, cut into 2-3 in. lengths OR CABBAGE
    6 oz. spinach leaves (or more if you like), roughly chopped
    2-4 baby bok choy, chopped - separate stems and leaves (optional but yummy)
    Cut fillets into serving or half-serving sized pieces, depending on your inclination. Salt them.

1) Put water, tomatoes and onions in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook till vegetables are getting tender (maybe 5-7 mins).
    2) Add green beans (or blanch them first and reserve till you add the fish - I've never been fancy enough for that option) and baby bok choy stems, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 4-7 minutes more, till beans are softened but not quite done.
    3) Add lemon juice and patis. Correct seasonings.
    4) Add fish. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until fish is opaque.
    5) Remove from heat, add spinach and baby bok choy leaves. Cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Serve with patis and lemon to pass around.

It's really not too complicated, and it's really great on rice or by itself. :) Enjoy!
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    Sautéed Shredded cabbage

Ingredients

Serves 1

Cabbage - Savoy, raw, 3 cup, shredded (sounds a lot but will wilt down)
    Onions - Raw, 1/2
    All Purpose Seasoning (Salt Free), 1/2 tsp
    Mushrooms - Raw, 4 medium sliced
    Butter - 1/2 tbsp

Total: 156 cals
    23g carbs
    9g fibre
    7g protein
    6g fat (from butter)

I use this as a bed to my protein, fab with fish, chicken or steak

Can add bacon to make a meal of it without added any of above mentioned.

With 2 rashers of chopped smoked back bacon takes cals to 276 carbs 23 fibre 9 protein 15 and fat 16, but to be fair can omit the butter as bacon will give juices to sauté cabbage with. Without butter will reduce fat to 10g

275cals for a whole meal woop woop

start with onions and butter or onions and bacon depending on which you follow. sauté till onions translucent, add sliced mushrooms cook a few minutes then add cabbage cook till wilted sprinkle with all purpose then stir in - ready to serve.

Yummy! I had tonight with cod in sauce
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 lbs of 97% fat free ground turkey
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/4 cup of dried onion flakes
    1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk
    1 can of mild enchilada sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Brown the meat. Mix the browned meat, rice, onion flakes, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a bowl. Clean the cabbage and boil each leaf in water or chicken broth until flexible. Place some filling mixture on a leaf and roll it up. Place a tooth pick through the flap to hold it in place. Place on a baking dish. Once you are done with all the rolls pour enchilada sauce over them and bake. Bake covered at 350* for 40 - 50 mins. Remove tooth picks before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Cabbage Rolls Total for 1 roll:
    Calories 73, Fat 2g, Fiber 0g, Protein 9g, Sodium 335, Sugar 1g

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is another one we loved. I burned the tops a little and the next time I make themI will put the flap on the bottom. lol. I got the idea from this website http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagemaindishrecipes/r/bl30620u.htm but changes a lot of it to make it more diet friendly. :)

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg
    Just copied this to do over week end, looks amazing!!!!! Gets my vote!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Voting starts now!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

It ends Wednesday at 5PM PST!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Make sure you vote here before tomorrow night at 5PM PST!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Do you know the carb count?

I went back into my diary and found the full report of them. :)

For each roll:
    Cal 73, Fat 1.5g, Carbs 5g, Protein 9g, Cholest 16mg, Sodium 335mg, Sugar 0, Fiber 1
  • anitanz
    anitanz Posts: 72
    Options
    Sri Lankan Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
    3 eggs
    2 tablespoons ricebran oil (or any flavorless oil)
    2 onions, sliced
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 heaped teaspoon tumeric powder.

DIRECTIONS: shred and wash the cabbage and leave to drain in a collander.
    Heat the oil in the pan, add the cumin seeds and fry until they 'talk' (start to pop a little).
    Add the onion and fry until clear.
    Add the cabbage, it still needs to be a bit wet from washing, because the water turns to steam and cooks it. Once it has bedded down add the tumeric and stir it though.
    Crack in the eggs and mix through, it doesn't take too long to cook from here.
    Add salt to your taste.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 169
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: at least 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    I love this dish and always request it at home. My boyfriend's Mum is Malaysian, but her family is originaly from Sri Lanka, and we live in New Zealand. Ha! So I'm not sure how authentic this recipe is. My bf made this for me once when we were first going out and I was sick with flu, now I just love it, it's like comfort food for me. And healthy too! We usually eat it with chicken curry or dahl. It is also good to serve when we have friends over for curry night, because it isn't spicey so everyone can eat it.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Congratulations to melkneec's Cabbage Rolls!!!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Sri Lankan Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
    3 eggs
    2 tablespoons ricebran oil (or any flavorless oil)
    2 onions, sliced
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 heaped teaspoon tumeric powder.

DIRECTIONS: shred and wash the cabbage and leave to drain in a collander.
    Heat the oil in the pan, add the cumin seeds and fry until they 'talk' (start to pop a little).
    Add the onion and fry until clear.
    Add the cabbage, it still needs to be a bit wet from washing, because the water turns to steam and cooks it. Once it has bedded down add the tumeric and stir it though.
    Crack in the eggs and mix through, it doesn't take too long to cook from here.
    Add salt to your taste.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 169
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: at least 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    I love this dish and always request it at home. My boyfriend's Mum is Malaysian, but her family is originaly from Sri Lanka, and we live in New Zealand. Ha! So I'm not sure how authentic this recipe is. My bf made this for me once when we were first going out and I was sick with flu, now I just love it, it's like comfort food for me. And healthy too! We usually eat it with chicken curry or dahl. It is also good to serve when we have friends over for curry night, because it isn't spicey so everyone can eat it.
    Do you beat the eggs and then crack them in? I'd love to see a picture of this! I'd like to make it but have no idea how it should turn out...