Anyone have a hard time drinking 8 glasses of water?

Options
I think something else that has been holding my weight loss back is that I dont drink enough water, I know that for a fact. But I find it really hard to drink 8 glasses of water. That is 64oz right? I get to the point where I just dont want to drink anymore and im forcing it down, i feel bloated and slooshy all day. How do you drink if you are not thirsty?

Replies

• SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I add fruit or citrus to my water I drink it more often. This is really easy to do if you utilize your freezer. Buy some orages, lemons, limes, strawberries, etc. and slice them thin and then lay them out flat on a piece of foil or some other nonstick surface. Once totally frozen, you can move them into a bowl in your freezer and every time you grab a glass of water, add a piece or 2 of fruit. I have also found that I drink way more water when I have a cup with a straw. Try that, maybe it will work for you too.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I take a 24 ounce bottle of water and put one of the flavor packs in (Kroger brand, way cheaper than Crystal light). They are supposed to flavor a 16.9 oz bottle but I like it just fine in 24 ounces. I leave it on my desk at work and got in the habit of taking a drink every once in a while.

I fill it and drink it once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and then I drink one in the evening. 72 ounces of water and I don't feel like I have to chug a whole cup of water or a lot at once. I just keep it at hand and take drinks.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    doesnt have to be just 'water' (least i dont think so) I have 1 cal cordial in mine :ohwell:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Use a straw. As silly-simple as it sounds, it makes it really easy to meet your water goal :)

Keep at it!
  • Pochapski
    Options
    Lemon juice helps! And with age people tend to not feel thirst. So that is probably why you don't feel thirsty...!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem but like it was said that if you add the flavor packets it will help. I use Special K protein drink mix for mine.
  • bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be just water.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Get one of those big insluated mugs that hold a quart or a liter and keep it next to you (at your office desk, e.g.) all day... I find that it's hard to drink a lot of water on the weekends because I don't have one of those around... but at the office it's easy easy easy.
  • wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    Consider finding a way to drink it with a straw - camelbak has good water bottles (okay, I love them) but even getting a refill cup from a gas station, fill all the way with ice and drink through a straw. Many studies have been done that people will subconsciously drink more when it is out of a straw - good luck!
  • chelsey728
    chelsey728 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a hot pink 32oz water bottle that I put right in front of me at my desk. That way I see it through the day and make sure I keep taking sips (even if I’m not thirsty). Also, if I start to get hungry through the day I see my water and drink that instead of having something unhealthy. Most days I’m able to drink over the 8 cups without even realizing it. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me at first, but it honestly does get easier. I find myself taking a few gulps each time I pass my 64 oz water bottle. Now most days I drink 12 - 16 cups of water. I sometimes throw a crystal light packet in there to switch it up, or pour in a cup and throw a slice of lemon, orange, or cucumber in - very refreshing!: drinker:
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    When I first started I used to drink it all in crystal light, yes I know not a good idea but I needed flavor to get it all in then I gradually changed over to just water. I use a glass that is 16 oz (2cups) and I would drink one of crystal light then one of water and I could not have another crystal light until the water was gone and so on. I also would let myself have 1 diet dr pepper my favorite with my supper only if I drank all my water that day. Now I just drink water so it worked I drink anywhere from 8-16 cups a day of plain water. I do try to drink it all before 3 pm or I am up at night. Good luck
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Take a Nalgene to work and sip on it all day. I try to drink 90+ oz of water a day and you definitely can't accomplish that just by housing down a bunch of liquid in one or two sittings.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    It was hard for me at first, but I use Crystal light (half packet per 16oz) and I have no trouble getting in 8+ glasses of water a day :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I seldom drink 8 glasses, actually if I did I would be drinking more than 1/2 my body weight and spending all day in the loo, and I lost all my weight.

I make sure that I drink 2 glasses of water at lunch and dinner, and I try to incorporate more during the day, but I don't loose sleep or worry if I don't' drink more than 6.

If the urine is light yellow, I am OK. If the urine is very dark, then I know that I need more water, and if it is very clear, then I am overdoing. That is what my doctor told me to do.

Most foods, specially fruit and vegetables have water, so if you keep your sodium under control you would be OK if some days you can't drink the 8 ounces.

Just make sure that you stay hydrated during your work outs and in warm/hot weather.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yes, I HATE water!!!!!!!!! I do what I can and I try not to obsess about the rest.
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Another method to try is this: Figure out how much water you want to consume, how many hours you're up during the day. Then figure how many 8 oz cups you need to drink and how often, to finish them before the end of the day (better yet, a few hours before you go to bed, so you're not up all night!). For me, it's one 8 oz cup of water every hour and a half and I'm done at 5:30. Works for me and hope you figure out how to get what you need. Oh, and the sloshy feeling goes away after the first few days and your body adjusts. Good luck!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when it wants water. Drink when thirsty.
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of my water. What I do is drink a glass with every meal and I will also drink 1 or two cups of green tea-which I just read hydrates you like water does-and when I am at work, on my breaks I sip from the water fountain on each one. I also drink a cup after a work out. Glad to see you are still here. : )
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you when it wants water. Drink when thirsty.
    Absolutely not. If you're thirsty, that means you're already dehydrated.

And in case you think it doesn't matter -- water is crucial to the chemical process that burns fat and turns it into energy, so being dehydrated WILL thwart your goal of burning fat!