Healthy Potatoes??

Options
2»

Replies

• paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have become addicted to sweet poatoes....when I bake them I really don't need anything on them...plain is perfect for me. I also make baked sweet potato fries too.

The other night I boiled some red potatoes and mashed them skin and all with just a little bit of garlic and a touch of skim milk...I felt like I was cheating...lol. I will never cut potatoes out of my diet....just cut out all the butter, sour cream, and cheese that I put on them.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    My wife just makes mashed potatoes (skins and all) with NOTHING in them except sometimes low sodium chicken stock. Then I put tobasco on them. Yummy!!
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    I like to cut them into strips like French fries and then put seasoning and a little olive oil on them and bake. They are so good if you love Fries like I do but soooo much healthier.

How many calories is this?
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Try sweet potatoes! I also like to take red skin potatoes, peppers, onions, and green beans and mix them with some olive oil and about half a packet of dry french onion soup mix and roast them. They are great both hot and cold!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Tonight for dinner, I cut up a left over baked russet potato, cooked it in a very hot cast iron skillet (with 1.5 tsp oil) until the chunks developed a crunch, added two pieces of minced sandwich ham, a minced slice of onion and, after it was finished cooking, 1/2 oz of finely shredded cheddar.

Filling, yummy, quick and 325 calories.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my fave: rosemary potatoes. use red potatoes, cut into chunks, and toss with a bit of olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh ground pepper, and a bit of salt, then bake. AMAZING.
  • lorna0590
    Options
    Sweet potatoes ARE a great alternative, however, I find that swede and carrot mash is actually better. Chop them up and boil in salted water then mash. Because both swede and carrot are so low calorifically I find that I can still add cream cheese without it sky rocketing my calorie intake and this is DELICIOUS. Also, depending on what the mash is going with it's nice to add a herb such as dill, tarrogan or sage. Yum!
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I steam white or sweet in the microwave and spray with I can't beleive its not butter spray or use FF sour cream or Ranch dressing when I want one. Mostly do sweet potatoes now that I have found I like them w/o all the sweet stuff added! Adding broc/cheese or just salsa also very good.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i dont really ever eat potatoes since it turns to sugar in the blood stream. and while i dont have diabetes, i still avoid pointless foods like that. (i eat potatoes only a few times a year) now i do eat sweet potatoes since they have more nurtritional value. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

And pop tarts are healthier?
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Baked potato topped with 1/2 cup cottage cheese! yummmmmm
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Pandorian & Tuckersn, this website is for support. Your comments are rude and inappropriate. She clearly stated she is new to the program. The hardest part of losing the weight is actually starting the program. Good for you, that you are actively searching for advice and healthy recipes. Good luck.

Oh, I completely understand the potato thing though. I will have a baked potato with salsa and nonfat sour cream. I also use zero calorie spray butter (Olivio has a brand), sea salt, and pepper.

I don't believe they were referring to the OP...

Anyhoot, potatoes are good in moderation and in their most natural form, are a good carb. I like some FF sour cream and chopped green onion, or some of the butter spray, or sometimes I just throw a couple TBSP of salsa on top. When it comes to the sweet ones, i like to slice them up and mix together 2 TBSP of EVOO and 1 tsp of honey, salt, pepper, paprika, and a little bit of cayenne pepper and coat slices, and then bake until crisp-all ovens vary but mine are usually done within 25-30 at 400 degrees.
  • donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    I have started putting plain yogurt into my potatoes instead of milk and butter. It is a lower fat option and my children do not even know that I have done it!!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I love potatos!! I like everyone's ideas.... I myself make mashed potatos with russett potatoes (110 calories for a potato by iteslf isn't bad).

I boil and add 1 TBS of butter, 1/4 cup a milk, and a dash of salt and pepper for every 1 pound of potato I mash. Between my boyfriend and me, we both get a 230 calorie side of mashed potatos which I feel comfortable with.

You can eliminate/reduce/substitute the butter/milk/salt to get it to where you need to be. I started with even more butter than that, reducing it each time and found I didn't miss it at all. I'll probably used 1/2 TBS next time.

Love, love, love potatos. Definitely not pointless.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love them baked or steamed, mashed with fork with a spoon of low fat cottage cheese mixed in! yummm
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes also, and they are a really good source of potassium, which is important for me, since I have had hypokalemic episodes in the past.

I like to take a small potato, (110 calories) and slice it into about 7 thick slices, fry in a hot non stick pan sprayed with pam...yummy and crunchy, and easy to calculate calories.

Also, I'm a fan of over-boiling cauliflower and mashing it in with potatoes..husband never knows the difference, and it cuts the calories down quite a bit.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Ok, well I like a baked potato with one of the Green Giant Broccolli and Cheese 40 calorie single trays on top. Its only 174 calories for the entire meal. You could also add the single snack packs of apples or apples and grapes found in the produce section for another 30 calories.

This sounds really good, I'm gonna have to give that a try!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Cut it into quarters or smaller if you like. Then sprinkle with season salt, and bake. Not too much salt though...we know that sodium is a pain :)

This. Yummy.