Any healthy breakfast ideas!?

Options

Replies

• kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Eggs Primavera. It's full of vegetables + protein

sautee (in olive oil or cooking spray, with salt pepper and a little paprika)
    a handful of mushrooms
    a cup of fresh spinach
    a handful of cherub tomatoes
    2 tbsp of chopped red pepper

Scramble 2 eggs and put on top of the vegetables. You can top with green onion. Before I went gluten and dairy free, I used to add a little cheese and a slice of toast.

It's actually really good, pretty easy to make and gets you some veggie servings in the morning. I love this! And you can use any vegetables you want.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    1% cotttage cheese and pineapple!!! SO yummy. high protein, low fat.

I love this too. I add mandarin slices and yogurt.
  • julielasley
    Options
    The Yolk has a lot of cholesterol. The egg white is just much better for you in the long run. Try one whole egg plus 2-3 egg whites. Tastes nearly the same.
  • veroniquelquesha
    Options
    I'd go for a vegan breakfast (like hot oatmeal mixed with apple sauce & raspberries on most days, or hot oatmeal mixed with brown sugar & dark chocolate chips when you're feeling bold), and steer clear of eggs altogether.

Not only do eggs have tons of cholesterol (a single egg contains more cholesterol than an entire double down), but eating just one egg per day can double your risk of coronary disease, and eggs often carry salmonella. (http://prime.peta.org/2010/11/an-egg-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-…-wealthy)

The worst part of eggs is how they're made--hens on filthy factory farms are crammed into cage so small that they can't even turn around--for their entire lives. Cages are stacked on top of each other, so the hens are forced to urinate and defecate on on each other's heads. And since the egg industry has no use for male chickens, all the little male chicks born into the egg industry are killed as soon as they hatch. (http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/egg-industry.aspx)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I buy cage free chicken eggs. Eggs alone don't cause coronary artery disease. I think a vegan breakfast is wonderful but not everyone is inclined to lead a vegan lifestyle.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The best eggs are the ones made by chickens allowed to eat lots of greens. The oils are healthier.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I switch it up between 4 main staples:
    - 1 pc Fiber One wheat bread, 2 egg whites (I also buy cage free, ONLY!), about 1/2 cup baby spinach, 1/8 cup reduced fat feta cheese, 1 tbsp horseradish mustard
    - 1 pc Fiber One wheat bread, 2 eggs whites, 1 pc low-sodium deli ham, 1 pc reduced-fat, reduced-sodum american cheese, 1 tbsp horseradish mustard
    - 1/4 cup (uncooked) Trader Joe's steel cut quick cooking oats, mixed with a variety of toppings: 1 tbsp organic PB, +/- some dried fruits, +/- 1 tsp brown sugar, etc.
    - Full Circle Organic Multigrain flakes, (1.5 cups is only 200 cals!) with about 1/2 cup skim milk

I will also add in an apple with most of the above, and it ends up between 300-400 cals including my morning coffee!
  • SeattleLove
    Options
    Usually I have once slice of whole-wheat rye bread with low-fat gouda-cheese on it. Sometimes two, depending on how long I will be in school that day. Also, if I have some extra time in the morning I make smoothies, with frozen fruit (preferebly berries, because to me red drinks always looks better) with 1% milk and 1%yoghurt in it.
    I used to have a phase during which I ate oatmeal with cinnamon and sliced banana every morning. But I got sick of oatmeal very quickly, and now I can't even look at it anymore without feeling sick :D
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    Options
    That sounds delicious! I will be trying it.
  • tiffph
    tiffph Posts: 3
    Options
    I have really enjoyed 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced (1/2) avacado, sliced roma tomatoe. This is very filling!
  • kdnieves
    kdnieves Posts: 1
    Options
    Steel cut oats with blueberries & almonds are super yummy.
    3/4 cup of liquid--I like to use 1/2 water &1/2 apple juice
    1/4 cup quick cook cut steel oats (Trader Joes)
    Boil and stir for 5 min. Add some blueberries and sliced almonds.
    And voila! This keeps me full until lunch : )
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You guys have me feeling guilty for my 2 scrambled eggs breakfast. I just hate egg whites alone. Are scrambled eggs really that bad for me? I only have 2 at one sitting.

why dont you put one egg and one egg white
  • Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    Try these Egg "Muffins" from the South Beach Diet cookbook - they refrigerate/freeze well and are good hot or cold when you're on the run.

10-12 eggs
    2 T fat free half and half
    1-2 tsp. Seasoning (whatever is your preference)
    1 1/2- 2 cups diced meat: canadian bacon, ham, cooked turkey sausage or cooked veggie sausage
    1 1/2- 2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or feta)
    Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.

Preheat oven to 375. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be 3/4 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Beat eggs well with the half and half (you could use milk). Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is full to the brim, nearly overflowing. Bake 25-30 minutes until muffins have risen above the rim of the muffin cups and are slightly browned and set.
  • kikibruce
    kikibruce Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The scrambled egss arent too bad but your taking in 140 cals with just those 2 eggs. Egg beaters has 30 cal compared to the 140 and with ff chedder mixed in w salt n pepper they are great!
  • pete379
    pete379 Posts: 2
    Options
    Fiber One 100% whole wheat english muffin (toasted), 1 scrambled egg, 2 pieces of turkey bacon, and a dash of hot sauce.
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    muesli and fruit.
    Baked beans on wholegrain bread.
    Eggs on toast
    Fruit and yoghurt
  • Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    Also Smart Ones Breakfast Sandwich with canadian bacon tastes really good, only 210 calories.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Kashi GoLean cereal with skim milk

I looove GoLean cereal. Lots of protein and fiber in it! I have been eating it just about every day for breakfast. I use the Silk Light Soymilk with mine which is easier for me to digest than regular skim milk.
  • gabbie858
    Options
    dont use the smart balance peanut butter
    its higher than regular peanut butter

you can get the fat free one what ever its called
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    smoothies! I use frozen strawberries (or any other frozen fruit), banana, skim milk, yogurt if you want, and a splash for OJ for sweetener. DELISH and under 200 cals!

I love my morning smoothies and what I do is as follows:
    frozen raspberries
    yoghurt or coconut milk or both, but not much as has fat
    natural protein powder from peas (health food store)
    vital greens supplement (health food store)
    sometimes a sweetener - not artificial, xylitol is OK
    sometimes cacao
    sometimes mesquite
    sometimes flaxseed oil, again, not much as is energy rich

I find that I can keep this in the order of 200 calories and it's quick and easy in the morning.
    Recently, I've also been swapping it around with poached eggs on toast with fresh flat leaf parsley on top.
    The parsley really makes it for me!